Self hating thoughts rising

aquarius7000

If it were all about Saturn, my sense of inadequacy should be turning up most in partnership situations (Saturn in the seventh house). But it doesn't. I don't tend to have much older or much younger partners, either, at least not romantically. Older and younger friends, yes, as well as friends around my age, but I don't have Saturn in the eleventh!
Perhaps not older or younger partners, but any highly-troubled relationships? Does the partner have a burdened life? If you want to share your chart, one could understand it better. Saturn has to play a role in a house!

katydid

I have always been jovial and generous, and pretty welcoming. I have been told I am a great hostess as I used to live throwing parties.

I used to be in great shape. I had a very nice figure, until after menopause. Since then, Jupiter has kind of taken over...:unsure:

IleneK

Premium Member
This is naive. There are just people out there who aren't good people. Searching for an explanation why works in books but will just drive you crazy in real life. And it is better to know that this is a possibility than to not know this.

Your thinking appears bit muddled. As in:
Searching for an explanation why works in books but will just drive you crazy in real life.

Not sure what you are saying here, as I make no reference to searching for explanations in books. What I speak of won't drive you crazy.
I'm just saying that shifting blame around from you to others doesn't do much good for anyone. Just heightens animosity. Makes everybody more tense. If that is your preference, that is okay with me.

Wishing you the best, truly.

IleneK

Premium Member
My sense is that graay ghost is talking about a shift from chronic self blame to recognizing when it really is not your fault. I, too, initially interpreted "blame other people" as the opposite problem from chronic self blame--never taking responsibility for anything and always coming up a reason to blame someone else, however ludicrous, a la Mr. Tweeter-in-Chief whose name rhymes with Ronald Grump. But for someone who tends to self blame all the time, realizing that other people actually are to blame in certain situations is freeing. I think that's what GG is saying here.

Well, I sincerely appreciate your comments here. Thank you and I get what you saying. I think my comment about being with blaming energy in general is the next step after recognizing the one is not always the wrong one.

waybread

Hmmm... I don't have any of those myself except a wide orbed Pluto square to the AC. If being hard on yourself required those aspects, I would hardly ever have been hard on myself in my life.

Isn't being hard on ourselves a universal thing? People may vary in how hard they are on themselves, how often, and in what way, but is there really anyone who never thinks ill of him/herself?

Osamenor, I recall you not wanting to personalize this thread, but without seeing a chart, it's hard to say what's going on.

I don't think most people would describe their thoughts as "self-loathing" or self-hatred. That is, if we mean the same things by "self" and "loathing."

As we know, if we start a thread, it can take off in directions different than the one we meant, as each person personalizes it to a greater or lesser degree. Then on a public thread perhaps a tangential post actually helps somebody else.

No astrological signature works 100% of the time, probably because of synergistic effects involving other parts of the chart.

In my experience, people with sextiles or trines to the sun tend to have more self-confidence, esp. between the sun and moon. Religion can be another way for people to beat themselves up, but sometimes one meets people for whom their belief in a personal relationship with God (or Jesus, or their particular faith) seems to buoy them up.

I wonder if the nagging voice in the head isn't principally one's parent/s, such that the child internalized it.

Also, any negative loop in one's brain can have a pay-off. Something sufficiently beneficial that we decide to keep it going, even if it makes us miserable. Maybe it's clinging to one's high standards, or some past injustices. For example, perhaps I don't live up to my high standards, but by gum, I still have them.

I had very poor self-esteem when I was young, but I seem to feel more confident as I age. Maybe due to life experience that was a whole lot more difficult than where I am in my life now. So these things can improve over time. Saturn, who rules old age, is my greatest teacher.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Perhaps not older or younger partners, but any highly-troubled relationships? Does the partner have a burdened life?
Partner with a burdened life: check. I don't think I've ever dated anyone who didn't have some kind of major burden in their life. I think all of my relationships have involved a mutual need for plenty of nurturing, and the people I've drawn in have been ones who both needed it and gave it (sometimes more one than the other, and which one was more has gone both ways). Seventh house Cancer Saturn, much?

david starling

Osamenor, I recall you not wanting to personalize this thread, but without seeing a chart, it's hard to say what's going on.

I don't think most people would describe their thoughts as "self-loathing" or self-hatred. That is, if we mean the same things by "self" and "loathing."

As we know, if we start a thread, it can take off in directions different than the one we meant, as each person personalizes it to a greater or lesser degree. Then on a public thread perhaps a tangential post actually helps somebody else.

No astrological signature works 100% of the time, probably because of synergistic effects involving other parts of the chart.

In my experience, people with sextiles or trines to the sun tend to have more self-confidence, esp. between the sun and moon. Religion can be another way for people to beat themselves up, but sometimes one meets people for whom their belief in a personal relationship with God (or Jesus, or their particular faith) seems to buoy them up.

I wonder if the nagging voice in the head isn't principally one's parent/s, such that the child internalized it.

Also, any negative loop in one's brain can have a pay-off. Something sufficiently beneficial that we decide to keep it going, even if it makes us miserable. Maybe it's clinging to one's high standards, or some past injustices. For example, perhaps I don't live up to my high standards, but by gum, I still have them.

I had very poor self-esteem when I was young, but I seem to feel more confident as I age. Maybe due to life experience that was a whole lot more difficult than where I am in my life now. So these things can improve over time. Saturn, who rules old age, is my greatest teacher.

Low self-esteem in a young person would seem to fall into these categories in the American culture--
I'm not:
smart enough
athletic enough
(For a girl) graceful and/or good looking enough
(For a boy) tough and/or brave enough
healthy enough
able to speak well enough

Overcoming low self-esteem would involve improvements, whether they occur naturally, or are the result of deliberate self-improvement. Or, maybe just getting away from bullies and brow-beaters who insist on putting you down. Some Charts would be more susceptible to "buying in" to the demeaning labels. Seems like we're back to the strong 1st House overcoming them.

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member

When I made that first post, I was thinking of people getting down on themselves, although it morphed into thinking of outright self hatred. There are many levels of being down on yourself, from simple self criticism to outright self loathing. I suppose we could be talking about all of them.

True. And while I don't have most of the aspects you mentioned, I do have several of the chart factors that jkxx74 posted about:
Chiron was already mentioned but it does cause significant problems if placed in the Sun's house or aspecting the Sun. The aspects to the Moon are just as problematic and to a lesser extent those to the remaining personal planets can cause problems too....

A more general way to look at other problem placements would be to see incompatible elements (pairs of) being emphasized in a chart. The most common example given is Jupiter hard aspect to Saturn where there is an above incidence of bipolar symptoms and other problems regarding to self-perception. But even a chart that has both (for example) Fire and Earth emphasized is likely to coincide with a personality which is both grounded in practical affairs and aspiring to some high ideals - it is not possible to effectively marry the two together and the result is often criticism toward self as one group of planets shuts the other out giving the personality a sense that is lacking a quality it would very much like to develop.

Chiron may be part of the grand trine I have that includes Sun, Moon, and Jupiter, depending on how wide you cast the orbs. Pretty much every version I've seen of my chart considers it conjunct my Jupiter and IC. Chiron, check.

Jupiter and Saturn in hard aspect (a square for me), check.

Fire and earth both emphasized, also check.

And yet, I've also got trines to my sun, and a sextile if you count a 7 degree orb one with Uranus.

In my experience, people with sextiles or trines to the sun tend to have more self-confidence, esp. between the sun and moon.

Osamenor

Staff member
As this is a topic I happen to be very familiar with and as you picked an example that actually fits me (no Leo rising to be found though) it has me quite interested.

Do you mean the example of thinking "I'm ugly" or "Nobody likes me" when you're down on yourself? Or did you mean something else I said actually fit you?

What chart factors, if any, do you think might be involved in you thinking that way, if you meant what I thought you did?

graay ghost

There are a lot of things about ourselves that we can't really fix. We tend to think we have a lot more control over our lives than we really do. That's part of the problem.

jkxx74

Premium Member
Chiron may be part of the grand trine I have that includes Sun, Moon, and Jupiter, depending on how wide you cast the orbs. Pretty much every version I've seen of my chart considers it conjunct my Jupiter and IC. Chiron, check.
If Chiron is conjunct Jupiter that is a rather good aspect to have for it as are the trines to the remaining planets - this would translate into being able to handle Chiron philosophically and find the way it manifests meaningful, perhaps with a desire to teach others what you have learned through Chironic experiences. Chiron trine Sun would be translated as a talent for helping other people "unfold" in terms of their core personality which is quite valuable. It brings me back to wondering about Chiron's supposed lesson for oneself, as it first and foremost tends to express itself around others and not self. Chiron-IC would seem to indicate the importance of resolving Chiron themes from the past as a better way of handling the future, although it can have other intepretations as H4-H10 are the two parent houses.

Since you have the Fire and Earth combo, this was described as each presenting a threat to the other element - Fire needs broad horizons to spread its wings while Earth needs a concrete sense of security and the two clash, at least at first. The Jupiter-Saturn square is illustrative of the same process due to the elements associated with the two planets.

Do you mean the example of thinking "I'm ugly" or "Nobody likes me" when you're down on yourself? Or did you mean something else I said actually fit you?

What chart factors, if any, do you think might be involved in you thinking that way, if you meant what I thought you did?
Both of these and they fit quite literally. At first glance it's the 5 planets in Saturn's sign combined with Saturn placed in its own house in Scorpio and exactly opposing the North Node - combined with Venus square Uranus with a 0 degree orb and adding the 5H Chiron into the picture. Although I have read having "connection" planets in the 12th adds to this as well as the 12th does not allow an easy exchange with the outside world. Sun square Pluto is mentioned as adding to this as well and some of the interpretations fit here as well. One other factor would be the way planets are lined up in the chart so the outer planets are all placed behind the personal ones such that they will all conjunct the personal planets, some of them pretty early on.

There are a lot of things about ourselves that we can't really fix. We tend to think we have a lot more control over our lives than we really do. That's part of the problem.
This is true for sure but it is also one of Saturn's tricks - making one believe a situation is set in stone and only one outcome is likely or possible. Or take Pluto's version where there are only two outcomes - a great and an awful one and it just makes sense to pick one and run with it.

waybread

interesting insights on Chiron-Jupiter.

To me this planetary combo can have two modes:

1. The world of hurt. Chiron blights Jupiter's normal faith and optimism

2. Both Chiron and Jupiter deal with wisdom. Chiron's wisdom comes from those wounds that don't heal; but that if accepted, lead to wisdom and compassion. Jupiter's wisdom is more straight-up; but then Jupiter in a hard aspect will feel evolutionary pressures from the other planet.

Ditto with Saturn-Jupiter.

1. Saturn rains on Jupiter's parade.

2. key words: "disciplined wisdom" or "mature wisdom."

We have some choice about whether we pursue 1 or 2.

Osamenor

Staff member
If Chiron is conjunct Jupiter that is a rather good aspect to have for it as are the trines to the remaining planets - this would translate into being able to handle Chiron philosophically and find the way it manifests meaningful, perhaps with a desire to teach others what you have learned through Chironic experiences. Chiron trine Sun would be translated as a talent for helping other people "unfold" in terms of their core personality which is quite valuable. It brings me back to wondering about Chiron's supposed lesson for oneself, as it first and foremost tends to express itself around others and not self. Chiron-IC would seem to indicate the importance of resolving Chiron themes from the past as a better way of handling the future, although it can have other intepretations as H4-H10 are the two parent houses.

Since you have the Fire and Earth combo, this was described as each presenting a threat to the other element - Fire needs broad horizons to spread its wings while Earth needs a concrete sense of security and the two clash, at least at first. The Jupiter-Saturn square is illustrative of the same process due to the elements associated with the two planets.
Interesting!

Both of these and they fit quite literally. At first glance it's the 5 planets in Saturn's sign combined with Saturn placed in its own house in Scorpio and exactly opposing the North Node - combined with Venus square Uranus with a 0 degree orb and adding the 5H Chiron into the picture. Although I have read having "connection" planets in the 12th adds to this as well as the 12th does not allow an easy exchange with the outside world. Sun square Pluto is mentioned as adding to this as well and some of the interpretations fit here as well. One other factor would be the way planets are lined up in the chart so the outer planets are all placed behind the personal ones such that they will all conjunct the personal planets, some of them pretty early on.
I see how those might be related to self esteem issues. But what, do you think, leads you to make those issues about your looks or people (not) liking you, rather than about your abilities or competence?

jkxx74

Premium Member
I see how those might be related to self esteem issues. But what, do you think, leads you to make those issues about your looks or people (not) liking you, rather than about your abilities or competence?
I am going way out on a limb but I'll try it - the Sun-Jupiter conjunct is fiery and placed in a fire house (Mars' house) so that duo would like to play by fiery rules - but it's placed in Cap and aspecting the chart ruler Saturn. Saturn is in a very bad place where it is, and by some accounts it might even be peregrine - but I'd love to get confirmation of this from someone knowledgeable. So to start with Saturn is telling Sun-Jup to go have fun with itself and as a powerful planet it has some authority - thus the 1st house planets are canceled out. From there you have to rely on other planets, and the next logical choice is Venus.

Venus is in a decent place, by sign and house at least, but it's in exact square to perfection-demanding Uranus. And as a sort of singleton Uranus too has some influence as the only true fire planet in the chart and can really bring Venus down as it really doesn't go along with its vision of how things out to be. Venus can then air its grievances through Mercury which again feeds into Saturn so this too is likely to be noticed - or a similar story with the Saturn-controlled ascendant. If I had to make a conclusion it would be something like "a series of connected unfortunate misunderstandings" which just happen to feed off each other.

The thing that does strike me as obvious is people's nearly universal negative reactions - that's all Saturn needs to get going and it gives plenty of ammo to Uranus as well. Not even getting into Chiron and its placement here but it could be playing a role.

Abilities or competence are not particularly important when it comes to this, I've (not) joked with people that most of the pain of moving to a new job would be losing the people I like at the old one. But I don't know what planet combo this would describe.

All in all I don't get very many friendly reactions from people and the natural thing to assume is that it is my fault - but that may also be the multitude of planets falling under Neptune's rule that are hyper-sensitive to this.

If you thought the Chiron commentary was worthwhile I could go further but I'm not sure which bit seemed relevant.

waybread

It must be weird to have Moon in Leo as well.

I'm a lunar Leo, and I think it's a great placement. As a mature woman with a night birth, my Leo moon would be stronger than my Aquarian sun, by some point-tallies. Since the moon rules one's feelings, it helps to feel "sunny," generous, playful, and so on.

But everyone needs to feed their moon. The moon rules one's home, so having a home that gets a lot of daylight is good for a lunar Leo. Even better, in a desert climate, as Leo rules deserts. In winter, light candles or put a fire in the fireplace, if you have one.

Pisces moon? Maybe this person can keep a home aquarium/fish tank, and live by the ocean.

It occurs to me that an unhappy important sign, whether it's the ascendant, sun-sign, or another planet's abode, is being starved for something.

With the ascendant as how we present ourselves to the world and come across to others, a starved Capricorn rising probably feels best being practical (earth) and setting achievable goals. The big goals need to be first broken down into small steps, so that the feeling of achievement is achievable.

One thing that affects any rising sign is the situation of the planet that rules it. To paraphrase Demetra George, the house and/or sign ruler (she uses whole signs) wants to help out the affairs of its house, but whether it can do so brilliantly or poorly depends upon its own situation.

So, for example, suppose Capricorn (or Aquarius) rising are ruled by Saturn conjunct Mercury. One reading would be "pessimistic thinking." Where as Sagittarius (or Pisces) rising are ruled (co-ruled) by Jupiter. Jupiter conjunct Mercury might mean "optimistic thinking."

So the rising sign itself is just a first step.

Further, the ascendant ruler or the sun in the 12th might indicate someone who prefers to work behind the scenes. If s/he's thrust into public speaking on the job, this person might beat herself up for making a hash of it, especially if the ascendant ruler is afflicted.

Osamenor

Staff member
I am going way out on a limb but I'll try it - the Sun-Jupiter conjunct is fiery and placed in a fire house (Mars' house) so that duo would like to play by fiery rules - but it's placed in Cap and aspecting the chart ruler Saturn. Saturn is in a very bad place where it is, and by some accounts it might even be peregrine - but I'd love to get confirmation of this from someone knowledgeable. So to start with Saturn is telling Sun-Jup to go have fun with itself and as a powerful planet it has some authority - thus the 1st house planets are canceled out. From there you have to rely on other planets, and the next logical choice is Venus.
So you have your sun in the first house? That sounds like some correlation with Leo rising, even though you don't actually have Leo rising.

I actually stumbled upon something, I don't remember exactly where, about Chiron placements and how they relate to sense of self. What they said about Chiron in Aries (which I have) struck home to me much more than what they said about Chiron in the fourth house (which I also have). Aries has to do with sense of self and can-do, and Chiron there would be a wound there. Where do you have Chiron? I can't access your chart at the link in your signature.

If you thought the Chiron commentary was worthwhile I could go further but I'm not sure which bit seemed relevant.
What you said about Chiron, I don't think I can see for myself, probably because I'm living it. Help other people unfold in terms of their core personality? Maybe I can do that as an astrologer. Maybe I've done it already and don't know. I do have one story coming to mind:

A friend I've known and been very close with since my late teens told me some years ago that he learned to accept himself in large part because I accepted him. Then he came out as transgender, and now is a she. For her, that change is all about an unfolding of core self. She describes it as "getting to be the woman I always was." Now, I didn't cause that to happen, it was all about my friend's choices, but according to my friend, I have a role in it all.

What really strikes me as profound is waybread's post:
interesting insights on Chiron-Jupiter.

To me this planetary combo can have two modes:

1. The world of hurt. Chiron blights Jupiter's normal faith and optimism

2. Both Chiron and Jupiter deal with wisdom. Chiron's wisdom comes from those wounds that don't heal; but that if accepted, lead to wisdom and compassion. Jupiter's wisdom is more straight-up; but then Jupiter in a hard aspect will feel evolutionary pressures from the other planet.
World of hurt, I can certainly see. The "wounds that don't heal" seems even more profound. But I would rephrase the "but if accepted part," because it can easily be interpreted in a Saturn trickster way: you have to accept hating yourself because that's a wound that won't heal, no matter what. Instead, I would call it a wound that is always in the process of healing. It's healing to be in the process of healing, even if the healing is never complete.

jkxx74

Premium Member
Yes, updated chart attached until I get a permanent link working. And you are right, it could count that way though I always thought of it as being a little like Sun in Aries if not quite. Either way there is the fire element at odds with earth.

Chiron is actually in Gemini (but in the 5th house) but aspecting the Sun if you allow wide orbs. So yes that theme could well be there. Aries from what I have read has to do with potency or one's ability to get going and fight for what whatever one values when called for to do this. Thus Chiron here would definitely be problematic.

This does sound like Chiron in action though - the comment I get usually is that people find I have told them something about themselves that they suspected but was never verbalized. With Aries it would be about encouraging them to "do" something about becoming themselves, Gemini would be more about telling them about this. In very simple terms.

I can relate to the paragraph on Saturn too. If accepted maybe referred to if accepted by others, but it really comes down to acceptance by oneself with both Saturn and Chiron so the goal towards this becomes a sort of driving force in itself. Because it really is very important towards moving forward in any way as both planets tend to have a way of blocking progress otherwise.

Attachments

• mychart1.jpg
    mychart1.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 35

aquarius7000

JKXX,

I like that chart in the areas of career (10th) and homelife (4th house). It is a little weak on the partner front (7th house), as the ruler, the Moon, is fallen in Capricorn. Also, it is conj. Nep, which lends spirituality perhaps, but there could be issues with disillusionment and deception.

Can I ask what you do career wise? I see that Mars, which rules our career house, has some dignity in Pisces, and is also conjunct a strong (exalted) Venus. Saturn in the 10th house could mean that, after overcoming some hurdles, you can rise in your career. Is it your own business there that you have? I am trying to understand the placement of Saturn (ruler of your second house) in the 10th house, and the ruler of your 10th house, Mars, in the 2nd. There is mutual dignity between both the planets, too, and that further strengthens the relationship between money and career, which must be good.
Saturn in the 10th however means you will always strive to achieve more and rise higher.

Anything ring true there?