Reversed Houses and the Nodes

LoneMars

Posting on here is starting to become addictive!

I'm confused by the Nodes. If the North Node points to your destiny and you're supposed to transcend your South Node, what do you do when you have Libra Rising and your houses are reversed?

My North Node is exactly conjunct my midheaven at 4 degrees Cancer. Not to mention my sun is conjunct my South Node in Capricorn and I'm at least 65% Saturnian. Am I supposed to transcend myself to become myself??

Thanks!

Attachments

• astro_2gw_01_heather_66171_21569.jpg
    astro_2gw_01_heather_66171_21569.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 44

Moog

I'm not sure what you mean about the house reversal.

The south node is called 'Ketu' in Hindu astrology, and Ketu apparently means 'flag'. I believe it's helpful to think of Ketu's position as indicating previously 'conquered' territory, stuff you've got 'in the bag', so you don't need to develop it any more.

If the Sun is with Ketu, then you're not going to need to develop your solar qualities.

In my experience, there seems to be less 'need' involved with Ketu. When Rahu is in effect, you develop whatever Rahu indicates. With Ketu, you simply fall back to familiar territory.

LoneMars

Thanks for your response Moog. What I meant by house reversal (maybe I'm not using the correct term) is when Ascendant is in an early degree of Libra making the house fall in its opposite sign, so 1st in Libra, 4th in capricorn, 7th in Aries, 12th in Cancer.

It creates a bit of a paradox. I have trouble wrapping my brain around it. Especially with the nodes, where there is supposed to be such a clear cut south is one direction and north is the other. So how can I move away from the 4th (cancernian) house in capricorn towards the 10th (capricornian) house in cancer?

I might not be making any sense. I'm getting a lot of that lately... Maybe it's mercury retrograde.

dr. farr

The delineation of the Nodes regarding karmic directions and manifestations, is only ONE interpretation of the Nodes (and, indeed, the most difficult and advanced, esoteric interpretation) The Nodes also have indications of a more prosaic nature, similar to the planets, which can be delineated at the "regular" (non-karmic) level of typical natal chart analysis (and prediction as well) The North and South only refer to the points (of the intersection of the Moon's orbit with the plane of the Earth) of the ecliptic (the NN is the northern point of this intersection of the ecliptic, the SN is the southern point of this intersection of the ecliptic) and have no bearing, as such, on the directional relation of signs (as Northern or Southern signs)

Moog

Thanks for your response Moog. What I meant by house reversal (maybe I'm not using the correct term) is when Ascendant is in an early degree of Libra making the house fall in its opposite sign, so 1st in Libra, 4th in capricorn, 7th in Aries, 12th in Cancer.

It creates a bit of a paradox. I have trouble wrapping my brain around it. Especially with the nodes, where there is supposed to be such a clear cut south is one direction and north is the other. So how can I move away from the 4th (cancernian) house in capricorn towards the 10th (capricornian) house in cancer?

I might not be making any sense. I'm getting a lot of that lately... Maybe it's mercury retrograde.

No, I understand you.

Though I do think some house meanings are analogous to the signs as we find them in their zodiacal order, they are not the same thing. I think it's quite common for people to conflate them, it does make learning them more convenient. But then you have to mentally 'uncouple' them, which can be problematic.

The houses show manifestations of 'things' in our lives. The signs 'clothe' them, because the things are bought into being by the planet that rules the sign on the house cusp.

So, rather than thinking that house 7 is the same as Libra, it's more that, in your case, the matters of house 7 (which are Venusian in nature) are bought about through the lens of Mars, and his condition in your chart influences his ability and manner of doing that.

LoneMars

Thanks Dr. Farr. I have a lot left to learn. I should probably stay away from anything difficult or advanced. Thanks for the note of caution!

Cosmic Fish

I'm confused by the Nodes. If the North Node points to your destiny and you're supposed to transcend your South Node, what do you do when you have Libra Rising and your houses are reversed?

My North Node is exactly conjunct my midheaven at 4 degrees Cancer. Not to mention my sun is conjunct my South Node in Capricorn and I'm at least 65% Saturnian. Am I supposed to transcend myself to become myself??

Thanks!

Thanks!
Oh wow, I have exactly the same question, but I feel there's more to unpack here. I agree and relate to your dilemma, I just wish I had the answers. So maybe it's more about bringing the theme of nurture to your work and that it will in turn feed your need for nurture? While simultaneously applying the previously learned Capricorn qualities into managing the home and family responsibilities? I'm not quite sure and would love more clarity.

IleneK

Premium Member
Oh wow, I have exactly the same question, but I feel there's more to unpack here. I agree and relate to your dilemma, I just wish I had the answers. So maybe it's more about bringing the theme of nurture to your work and that it will in turn feed your need for nurture? While simultaneously applying the previously learned Capricorn qualities into managing the home and family responsibilities? I'm not quite sure and would love more clarity.

I don't think we are to transcend our SN. It is what we bring into this life, it is what we know. The NN is our calling, what we are to live into and integrate with, not transcend from, the SN.

Thanks!

Well, kinda, but not. :smile::unsure: :smile:

We are to integrate our self, not separate from some part of ourself, not separate/transcend from the part that already knows and uses Capricorn energies so deeply and well.
The NN-SN nodal is cumulative not separative.
What we bring with our SN we keep with us and then we add what we learn from reaching for our NN. And so we and the world become larger, more spacious and whole..

Cosmic Fish

I don't think we are to transcend our SN. It is what we bring into this life, it is what we know. The NN is our calling, what we are to live into and integrate with, not transcend from, the SN.

Well, kinda, but not. :smile::unsure: :smile:

We are to integrate our self, not separate from some part of ourself, not separate/transcend from the part that already knows and uses Capricorn energies so deeply and well.
The NN-SN nodal is cumulative not separative.
What we bring with our SN we keep with us and then we add what we learn from reaching for our NN. And so we and the world become larger, more spacious and whole..
@IleneK Yes, I would totally agree with you :)

Any insights into how the Capricorn SN in 4th (conjunct Sun and Mercury) supports the Cancer NN in 10th? Virgo Moon is in a stellium in 12th with Pluto and Uranus and Saturn (sole dispositor - traditional rulership) is conjunct Venus (chart ruler) in 5th. Lots of Earth and Yin energy in chart and with Mercury ruling Moon, I feel the potential is highlighting a need around nurture and Venus is calling for unconditional love, self-worth and wanting to get more in touch with following one's feelings and heart rather than one's head, maybe? It's an Aquarius Venus and Saturn though? I'd love to hear some other interpretations to see if I'm moving in the right direction here. TIA