Northern Latitude House Systems

byjove

Account Closed
Hi all,

The newest area of astrology to me is horary and I've been learning and experimenting a lot in the last year or so. One issue I keep finding is that someone raised in the northern latitudes and mostly living up here, house systems go awry (natal too, of course).

Regio, the traditional method still produces 45 degree+ houses and interceptions are rife.

To those of us up here, what do you use?

To other astrologers, what do you think?

William Lily, an English astrologer, did he consistently use regio for horary?

Oddity

Lilly did. He was Protestant, so he used Regio. The Catholics during the same era in England used Placidus. Nobody was going to cross that line, it was way too political. I doubt that tables of other houses were readily available, so that had something to do with people's decisions, too.

I tend to use Alchabitius, and a lot of folks like whole signs. In polar regions, I think you need to use whole signs - there are times when the sun doesn't rise or set, and that can really make a mess of a chart.

For day-to-day stuff and usually for horary, I've not found quadrant houses to be inaccurate. If I look at charts on this board, I tend to use whatever the person used who set the chart, which is often Placidus, and that seems to work, too.

In natal work, I use quadrant for some things, and whole sign for others. It works well.

There isn't a true house system. Only more or less popular ones, and that changes frequently. Use what you're comfortable with.

byjove

Account Closed
Hmm well those religious wars won't affect my choice, I'm glad to be free of that!

Also, it looks like there's plenty of room for modern adjustment. I'll play around with this.