Rectifying Natal Charts Through the Transits/Progressions of Important Life Events

Arian Maverick

Wow, look at the size of that title! :eek:

As I promised on The Prenatal Epoch board, I have decided to create a new thread in which members who are familiar with the process of rectifying natal charts through transits and progressions of important life events may be able to share some tips and techniques with those who are less experienced.

I understand that there is no "cut and dry" method or precudure one can follow to arrive at the same result each time--rectification is an art, not merely a series of calculations--yet perhaps membres can describe the process by which they may begin to rectify a natal chart.

Some possible topics for discussion to be:

Which important life events tend to yield the best, most accurate result. What other kinds of events can be used besides the birth of children/grandchildren and the death of important family members or friends?

Do you use derived houses in chart rectification? For example, would you look to the eighth house from the tenth house from the tenth house for the death of one's mother, or does this overly confuse the process? If this results in a cusp other than one of the major angles, which house system do you use?

Would you simply look for planetary "action" around the important angles?

How far apart these life events should be from one another or what span of time should they cover?

Is there a minimum "age requirement" for successful rectification to take place? Oone site claimed this age was approximately thirty years old, but I would think one would have accumulated enough important life events by his or her midtwenties, especially if the individual married relatively early in his or her life or experienced the death of a parent or loved one.

I apologize for posing so many questions, but I want to make it clear from the start that I would prefer for this to be a general discussion about chart rectification rather than focusing on specific examples. Perhaps this can come later, but I believe it is important for each of us interested in chart rectification to understand the process so that we might learn to apply it to our own charts and those of others who may seek assistance.

Perhaps we can also discuss techniques to use if the birth time is known within five minutes, an hour, several hours, or if the span of time is much larger--perhaps even an entire day. I imagine that the latter would probably be a waste of time for the astrologer, since I understand that chart rectification is an involved, lengthy process and it is often much easier to use other sources to narrow down the time before consulting an astrologer.

Arian Maverick

Arian Maverick

Re: Rectifying Natal Charts Through the Transits/Progressions of Important Life Events

I never pay much attention to planets touching the angles at all. More the house cusp RULER/LORD. Planets entering/leaving the house are just the same as the angles to me.

This is good to know, and possibly a reason why I have been having difficulty rectifying my own chart; I've been looking for the wrong things.

I believe the other house cusps are important as well, but since I was never quite sure which house system to use, I relied upon the major angles since these were the ones that changed the least from house system to house system.

It doesnt take very long to do, but may take some while to perfect. I never use progs or arcs at all.

This is good to know, although I have heard that some astrologers have used secondary progressions and solar arcs to rectify natal charts with great success. I think it's best for beginners to focus on rectifying charts using transits and then look to more advanced techniques, though.

Thanks for a link to the thread, EJ53!

I've seen it before, but it's so easy for individual threads to become lost in the barrage of new threads that are created or updated each day.

Arian Maverick

starlink

Re: Rectifying Natal Charts Through the Transits/Progressions of Important Life Events

Hi AM, yes, we have been here before with Atria. Rectifying is awfully time consuming but important. For me,first of all, I try to determine more or less where the supposed Ascendant should fall. Birthcertificates, notes written in the house bible, maybe family that remembers what happened that day.

OK, then, in order of importance (to me anyhow) would be:

1. Important relocations (so, Jupiter, Progr. Moon and Uranus transits to the supposed MC/IC or Asc.

2. Operations on the body (Mars aspects)

3. Accidents that caused great physical harm (Uranus, Pluto, Mars)

4. Engagements and weddings (Venus transits and progr. Venus in particular)

5. Divorce (Uranus transits to Asc., MC, Desc.)

6. Graduation, big promotions and retirement (Saturn aspects, notably to the MC

7. Death of family members (Saturn, Pluto, Mars, 4th house cusp)

8. Birth of children in female charts

This is all I use (when I try to rectify which is not often as it needs so much time.)

I do use Solar Arc Directions as I find it fascinating how exact they can be, far more than progressions of planets or transits.

I only focus on the Angles in order to find important hits.

Starlink

pwadm

Staff member
I agree with Coffee in everything as I also think that Placidus cusps work best and one should use all house cusps not only the angles. Even derived houses work like a charm in rectification.

I like the very logical approach so the key to a successful approach in my opinion seems to be looking for the most specific house describing the field of experience, then trying to find a specific planet aspecting it specifically. All is very specific as you see. :)

Such as Mars square the 6th house cusp for an accident causing major trauma, Jupiter trine the 9th house cusp for a very important travel abroad for religious purposes and so on.
A recent example: someone described having met a person who represented to her something huge from a spiritual and romantic point of view. I rectified the chart using Venus conjunct Neptune on the ASC on that day.
Another one: Saturn semisquare the ASC on the day when a long-term restrictive diet (for 6 months) was started with success [yes minor aspects are also useful, given that they are used also specifically]

Preferably at least 5 major events or 10 minor events are needed for a sure chart rectification - given that the birth time is known within a few hours at most. If the birth time is totally unknown I don't have a clue how to rectify it as the event method isn't of any use.

After analysing each such event, I try to find a pattern, like a time when it all falls in place allowing a certain orb - usually it can be done if the events list is long enough - but it takes a lot of time and it's very neurons consuming.

The events list may include:

• marriage/divorce(s)
  • important sentimental encounters (first time when you met your spouse / lover/ best friend)
  • professional successes / failures / events / awards / elections to office / name in newspaper, TV
  • buying a new house / apartment, changing residence
  • birth of a child / abortion - for women
  • important jobs
  • surgical operations, other important diseases - the onset of symptoms / the diagnosis
  • graduation date
  • travels abroad / long trips / emmigration
  • unpredictable events: traffic / work accidents, robberies, other events
  • family events: marriage/divorce/professional success/failure of a relative - if this event influenced you as well in a significative way

pwadm

Staff member
starlink said:
I do use Solar Arc Directions as I find it fascinating how exact they can be, far more than progressions of planets or transits.

I only focus on the Angles in order to find important hits.

I'm interested in this: do you find solar arcs for every event? I remember I tried this method (after reading Noel Tyl's book) but didn't have any success. Probably I should try some more.
Any tips to share on using solar arc directions? :rolleyes:

starlink

Hello Radu, how very nice to see you again! Just a question about using all the housecusps. Thing is, when you get a "hit" to the 6th house, how can you find the MC after that? I would prefer finding a few exact points to the MC or Asc. first, then continue to see if the then found (Placidus) houses also get hits from other events, like what you mentioned with the accident and the 6th house. When I think I have found the right MC, then I can find the Ascendant going with it, but when I start with an 8th house or 2nd, then it gets quite difficult to find an MC that goes with that.

About Solar Arcs I dont specifically look for events. I look at a Solar Arc direction from lets say Mars to Pluto. Mars reaches Pluto in about 6°. I then ask the client what he/she can remember at that age which really made an impression. Was it an accident? Was it an illness? anything to do with some sort of trauma or extreme circumstances. Then they will tell you what it was. We are after all no clairvoyants so I could never say exactly, from a Solar Arc Direction what has happened. Planet combinations can work out different for anyone.
I started by telling them that I wanted to test a certain system and asked what happened at age this or age that and most of the time (if their memories allowed it of course) they would come up with a significant happening but often it was a year earlier or later, so my finetuning (like Tylle does) was not very good. I just estimated the age. It was really fun to do.
They could never have done that with me because for some reason I cannot remember anything from my childhood up till I was 12, so I had to dig out all my old passports when looking at relocations and longdistance traveling.Before that, darkness.... I often wondered whether I should have myself hypnotized to find out.:)

Last edited:

Arian Maverick

I am thrilled with the progress of this thread; thank you everyone for contributing!

Naturally, I have a few more questions ;)

Accidents that caused great physical harm (Uranus, Pluto, Mars)

Depending upon the part of the body that was affected, would you look for planetary action to a different house cusp, or perhaps would you look at the planetary ruler of the sign that governs the part of the body that was affected by the accident?

I don't want to get too specific here because I vowed for this thread to remain a general discussion of chart rectification, yet I want to inquire about the possible transits and progressions I should look for in a minor accident I had when I was five years old; I believe providing an example is sometimes the best way to demonstrate an idea, and I promise you that this example leads to at least one question or possibly a series of questions that may help other members. I would not usually use this accident for rectification purposes because it did not cause "great physical harm"--although it hurt like heck at the time--yet I believe it is one of the primary reasons why I never developed a proper pencil grip, an effect which has lasted more than a decade later and will probably pervade throughout the rest of my life.

Based upon this example, here are some possible questions one could ask:

Would the situation in which one experienced this accident be of importance in determining the planetary rulers to look for in the rectification process? For example, I injury I have described was received from closing a car door upon my thumb. I am somewhat uncertain as to which house rules cars--I know that the third house rules trips over short distances, and I believe this was the kind of trip I was returning from when I injured myself--yet I have read at least one horary astrology book that gives the first house rulership over cars. If I remember correctly, Gemini is the ruler of the hands and fingers; I have Mars placed in my third house, so I believe it is possibly that I may have been experiencing some transit to Mars.

This leads me to another question: does one take into account planets that are placed within a specific house when rectifying a chart or only the ruler of the house?

My last question: is the fact that this accident affected my writing ability important to consider for rectification purposes or is it a trivial detail? I'm not sure which house specifically rules handwriting, yet I believe the third house may also be involved somehow since writing is a form of communication. It is possible that I am simply mixing the influences of the signs and the houses, though :rolleyes:

Graduation, big promotions and retirement (Saturn aspects, notably to the MC

I can almost hear the collective groan of all the forum members and guests reading this; "You mean that she has more questions?" :D

Don't worry, everyone, I will make this question short: does high school graduation count although it is an event that many individuals of the same age group experience at the same time? I ask this question because I have read that religious events that occur for many children at the same time should not be used in the rectification process unless an individual receives these rites later in their life; one of the reasons for such was that an event loses much of its personal significance when it is "organized" and experienced by many individuals at the same time.

I understand that high school graduations are not the same as religious ceremonies, yet they too are usually predictable in what time of the year they occur and for what approximate age group.

I imagine that college graduation could be of slightly greater value to the rectification process because the time in which students complete their education is highly variable.

7. Death of family members (Saturn, Pluto, Mars, 4th house cusp)

Again, for fear of being a pest--do you use derived members for family members? In the case of grandparents, would it matter if one experienced the death of one's maternal or paternal grandfather? Or is a grandparent usually too far-removed a death to consider for rectification purposes?

I would argue against the latter because I experienced the unexpected death of a relatively young grandparent at an early age which was my first real contact with death, yet I suppose this could also be dependent upon the closeness of the relationship between the deceased family member and the individual.

Arian Maverick

Last edited:

ceres76

Great thread, Arian!!

I have a question: is it true that there can be a "delay" of a degree or so as far as the event is concerned? In other words, the aspect could be 1 degree past exact when the event actually happens? But if so, is that always the case, and how do you know? How do you know something has a one degree "delay" for lack of a better word, and it doesn't mean that the cusp is off? Does this have to do with the speed of the planet concerned, and how do you figure all this out? (Does this make any sense?)

Also

I love the simplicity of Equal house system as it reflects the natural 12 sign zodiac, while also leaving high latitudes with no sign ruled by 3 or 4 houses....plus the Libra in me wants it nice and equal.

Ha! I'm not into simplicity (PLuto in 1rst, lol), because -- it seems intercepted signs are significant?? It is surely significant when a sign is trapped in this way. It says something important about the chart, and I can't understand why there are astrologers (and famous ones too) who use the equal house system.

Take care. Thanks again for starting this thread.

ceres

Arian Maverick

I have a question: is it true that there can be a "delay" of a degree or so as far as the event is concerned? In other words, the aspect could be 1 degree past exact when the event actually happens? But if so, is that always the case, and how do you know? How do you know something has a one degree "delay" for lack of a better word, and it doesn't mean that the cusp is off? Does this have to do with the speed of the planet concerned, and how do you figure all this out? (Does this make any sense?)

You bring up a good point, ceres76; it's quite synchronistic indeed, for I was just discussing the effect of applying and separating aspects to a newcomer to astrology who is not a member of this forum who was questioning why he seemed to feel the effect of a specific transits before the exact moment the transit occurred. I do not have a good answer to this question because I have not had enough experience with this method of chart rectification to see it in practice; we will have to see how one of the other members answers.

Ha! I'm not into simplicity (PLuto in 1rst, lol), because -- it seems intercepted signs are significant?? It is surely significant when a sign is trapped in this way. It says something important about the chart, and I can't understand why there are astrologers (and famous ones too) who use the equal house system.

I'd also have to agree with you there, although I'm a bit on the fence because I can see the value of both systems. I do believe that intercepted signs and the planets contained within them are important factors in a natal chart; one of the enduring mysteries for me has been which pair of signs is intercepted in my natal chart since all four of my angles shift with a difference of three minutes in my recorded time of birth.

Sometimes I believe the house system debate will continue throughout the centuries, which isn't necessarily a bad thing, for as the saying goes, where you seek meaning is where you'll find meaning, or something similar ;)

Arian Maverick

starlink

OH man, I sleep 8 hours and come back, seeing that there are again sooooo many new posts. I just cannot keep up!! (same with that asteroid thread about Ceres and the other 3. Just cant keep up reading!)

OK, lets see, Arian first:
Depending upon the part of the body that was affected, would you look for planetary action to a different house cusp, or perhaps would you look at the planetary ruler of the sign that governs the part of the body that was affected by the accident?
No, I dont go into those details (maybe I should though, it could give more info, dont know). Lets say I see a Solar Arc which looks suspicious. This could then potentially happen in that year, but when? Now you can start calculating the exact day even (according to Noel Tyll) but I first look if there is a transit or progression that indeed backs up this Solar Arc hit. If I find nothing, than I believe the Solar Arc will not have any effect.
a minor accident
Personally I dont think this will show up in a SA. This is more a transit sort of thing, not life threatening or earthshaking.
Mars placed in my third house, so I believe it is possibly that I may have been experiencing some transit to Mars.
I would think so as well
is the fact that this accident affected my writing ability important to consider for rectification purposes or is it a trivial detail?
It certainly is not trivial if you are still having problems with your writing years later but I think it gets very complicated if we were to consider it for rectification purposes, unless maybe if you ended up in hospital and had an operation on your hand
I imagine that college graduation could be of slightly greater value to the rectification process because the time in which students complete their education is highly variable.
I do agree with you here. The other highschool graduation is probably better seen by a Saturn or Jupiter transit to MC.

Again, for fear of being a pest--do you use derived members for family members?

DOnt worry, you are not a pest at all, good questions all of them.
I would only look at 8th house ruler hitting the MC or IC (especially I would think) for the death of a parent or grandparent and to the 5th house for a child, 3rd house for an uncle, ant or neighbor and so on.
Once you have an approximate Ascendant, you could use the 8th house progressed cusp also, when it comes for instance to the significator of the parents or grandparents etc. Like pr. 8th house cusp conjuncting the Moon, death to a female person, possibly the mother.
I have never used it because even though both my parents have died, I never knew their birthtime so I could not get any further with that. I am trying with my father though because I have many letter of his in which he writes about a big promotion, move from Indonesia to Holland, his engagement/marriage to my mother.

Starlink

Last edited:

starlink

Hi Ceres, with the Solar Arc predictive method you can indeed have this 1° difference. It is depending on wether the Sun's speed is slower or faster during certain times of the year. Noel Tyll describes this also in his book.
He writes: Error was still hunting every prediction system. The Naibod applications of the mean motion of the Sun was easy to use, BUT after 30 years of age, the correspondence between events and planetary significators in an individual chart seemed to be about a year off, especially for people born between March and September. As these people got older discrepancies between events and predicted ageds got bigger.
This was because one did not respect the very prominent changes in daily Sun motion throughout the year. The Sun moves much more quickly during th the months October to February. In the months March throught September, the Sun "takes its time"; the daily motion is conspiciously slower.
It will therefore take one more year to live out the accumulated arc. So if the Arc shows 35 years, the event will happen at 36 years for those born between March and September.

I dont know though if computer programmes do incorporate this discrepancy.

If you only look at transits or progressions, yes, then you can get (I think) easily a difference. These transits pick up momentum and still have effect afterwards, so you never really can pinpoint the exact moment.
Maybe with the help of Solar and Lunar returns you can narrow it down to a more specific month.

Last edited:

starlink

Radu, I have looked up the year 2002, 11th July for my Solar Arc progressions. This was the day my divorce was pronounced by the court.
My ex-husband and I divorced very amicably, and I believe this is also shown in the aspects. This was 4 years after I moved out by the way.
It is for me difficult to know which event to look at for rectification. This official divorce notification, or the moment I left home, September 1st 1998. Must have a look at that one as well I guess.

My natal Venus is at 12° Aries and Solar Arc. Uranus was exactly at 12° Leo, trining it.
Progressed Moon was conjunct my Ascendant at 25° Scorpio
SA North Node was at 25° Cancer, in my 8th house and also exactly trining my Ascendant.
SA Juno was at 24°35' Aquarius (the divorce sign) and squaring my Ascendant (so here maybe I could rectify a bit because I believe that Juno has a lot to do with marriages and divorces).
SA Juno fell conjunct my 4th house cusp and conjunct Uranus retro transit at 28° Aquarius.
Progressed MC exactly trined my Uranus in the 7th

Solar Arc Mars, traditional ruler of my Ascendant as at 11° Gemini in the 7th also exactly sextile my Pluto in the 9th. (easy dissolution or cooperation with ex partner? Also a difficult one for me to interprete)

SA Jupiter was at 16° Capricorn, exactly conjunct my Progressed Ascendant also at 16° Capr. (New horizons!)

SA Mercury, ruler of my 8th house and in the 8th house at that moment,exactly inconjuncted my Ascendant at 25° Gemini (I would not really know how to interprete this when I would see this sort of aspect,do you? Mercury in the 8th (support) inconjunct Asc.
Not really feeling at easy about financial support from ex? maybe.)
Mercury also has to do with contracts, but it does not rule my 3rd house.

So you see, a lot of 25° aspects and therefore I think that my Ascendant at 25°29 is indeed quite correct. I am not sure about the minutes though, that is really difficult, but must be possible to do. I could now fine tune it with the help of transits to the Ascendant (my two operations) and MC (major relocations).

I have not done this rectification business often and cannot tell you if the Solar Arcs ALWAYS work out. I guess it all depends on the transits and progressions of that specific year. Without that, no effect to be seen.

Cheers, Star.

Arian Maverick

I fear this isn't quite as "intelligent" a question as some of the others I have asked, but I believe that the basics need to be thoroughly understood before one attempts more complicated technqiues.

Which program do you use to calculate solar arcs?

Unfortunately, Astrodienst only offers a three-way chart containing transits, progressions, and solar arcs of the natal chart, and I have always found these charts extremely difficult to read.

If I remember correctly, though, the solar arc is applied to each of the planets; therefore, once you know how many degrees the Sun is moved forward at a certain age of one's life, is it correct to say that you can simply add this number to the degree of each of one's natal planets?

Arian Maverick

starlink

If I remember correctly, though, the solar arc is applied to each of the planets; therefore, once you know how many degrees the Sun is moved forward at a certain age of one's life, is it correct to say that you can simply add this number to the degree of each of one's natal planets?
Yes AM, that is correct. You take the difference between the progressed Sun and the Natal Sun and that amount you add to all the others.

I go for approximate, and take one degree for a year, but the programms give the exact position I imagine.

But when I see lets say Venus at 5° Capricorn and Uranus at 11°, then I count the distance, which is 6° and reckon that at that age something happened (progressions and transits should indicate as well of course). This is how I look ahead. Do I see 23° between one planet and another, then it is at age 23 or 24 with a slow Sun that you could expect something to happen (or has happened).

I have Solar Fire, but I also use Astro.com.
I first print a natal chart, then with a pen I put in the SA positions, highlighting them. The progressions I highlight with a different colour as I do with the transits. That way you can see it real well.

Starlink

pwadm

Staff member
Thanks for all details, Starlink. Quite nice. Stirred by this post I tried to look up some SA directions in my chart and yes, I could find significative connections.

As for the Mercury 8th house ruler inconjunct the ASC - in your case - could it mean some common belongings issue with your ex-husband that was still in need of clarification/negotiation? inconjunctions signify adjustments/fixing sth. up.

starlink

Glad to hear that you could find connections in your own chart.

About that inconjunct, well, at the time of divorce indeed, he did not have all the money to give me at once because he had to invest large amounts in setting up his own business (as the court summoned him to do), so me being me, I told him he could give it in installments or whenever he was able to, so yes, we talked about things like that (and as I wrote, I was not at all sure whether I would ever get it).

It took ages and I had to give him a few (fiscal) tips even, but in the end (after about 5 years), I got it all, except shares of the company he had set up with our common money. After 7 years, he changed the name of that company and I was sure I would not hear anything about it anymore, but I did not care really. I dont believe in skinning someone and thought "if it comes, it comes and if not, then not".

Until recently; and I am telling you, this really is interesting. Pluto, (ruler of my Asc.) as you know, entered Capricorn. Jupiter, ruler of my 2nd house was there already. But then, with the conjunction between those two, I looked at my chart (for once, dont do that often). I saw that Pluto trined my Mercury (1°orb) and Merc. is ruler of my 8th house of other people's money. WOW I thought, looks like I will get some money from an inheritance maybe?

I visited a women I know who reads cards, know her for ages. She said: OOps, you are going to get money. And what happened on the day of the Eclipse? (The Lunar Eclipse at 1° Virgo), trining also that Mercury of mine in 2°Taurus, he called me, out of the blue to tell me that he had found another way of paying me those shares back and he wanted to increase my alimony as well. In the meantime he is doing very well financially and he said that he did not see why he should only benefit from this and that I still had the right to get the amount promised by those shares. Needless to say, I was baffled!!

Incredible how astrology (in this case anyways) really showed what would happen. Pluto will go on of course and will square first my Venus in 5, then my Mars, also in 5, so that looks a bit less pleasant. Ruler of my 6th is Mars and inconjuncts my Moon in Scorpio in 12. Venus rules my Sun. So I am prepared and listen carefully to my body from now on, have regular check-ups because I know which areas are my weak one's, bladder and intestines.
Thank God Venus trines Pluto....
Cheers, Starlink

pwadm

Staff member
Nice story from the bright side of Pluto. Or was it Jupiter?
Astrology works! Why do we find it so hard to believe? I am baffled myself quite often when it works in an obvious way...

AspieTaurus

My BC says I was born at 10:15pm and my dad told me that I was born "just after 10pm" I rectified my TOB to 10:08pm with Saturn transiting the MC, and the MC is usually associated with the father figure, at May 29th 2009, the day my stepdad died.