Mercury square Uranus anyone?

byjove

Account Closed
Hi everyone!

Who else has this aspect, knows someone with it or would like to talk about it? This aspect has been causing me some concern for some time...at best I've read that it sharpens the intellect, etc. though pride and arrogance are probable too. But what really troubles me, is how easy it is to waste energy and opportunity. I've many examples of this, and one of the most revealing for me is IQ tests. For years I was getting fairly average marks. (I wanted more, how conceited lol). But then I started to realize that while being tested, my legs shake, my hands fidget, my mind races through 5 irrelevant things and I get lazy with questions. Accurate results? Don't think so. So It's taken me time to TRY and slow the flushing rapids, slow the thoughts. Now I get...a higher result.

How many exams in school and college have I wasted with what I identify was this aspect? How about you?

Re: Mercury square Uanus anyone?

As this is simply a general question, why not try the search feature here on AW?

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13124

As you know it all depends on the houses they are placed and other aspects that might help with communications to others, which for specifics we need to see the chart involved to comment properly....

mercury.gif
square.gif
opposition.gif
uranus.gif

Mercury square or opposition Uranus
Your mind is always alert and active. Your thoughts and ideas are atypical and eccentric and you rebel against impositions or limits to your freedom. You are nervous, restless, somewhat arrogant and very particular in your tastes and choices. Your opinions are unprejudiced and you are not afraid to voice them. It is probable that you have difficulty concentrating on one subject for too long. Your restless mind impels you towards continuous change and movement with the consequent danger of leaving things unfinished. You like to challenge the ideas of others and you show a lot of ingenuity and intelligence in doing so. You must learn to relax more to avoid suffering from nervous exhaustion. --Interpretation from the Adult report.

Alternate interpretation: You are an original thinker, capable of unique discoveries and innovations, but you tend to scatter your energies into too many directions at once and to make impulsive or hasty decisions. You grasp ideas very quickly and become impatient with duller or more conservative minds. A fast-moving, mentally stimulating, and unpredictable atmosphere suits you quite well, even though you may complain about the stress and the crazy pace. You have a technical bent and are interested in the newest scientific theories and findings, electronics, computers, etc.
http://www.cafeastrology.com/natal/mercuryuranusaspects.html

:D

Lissa

I have Mercury at 9º46' Aries3rd house and Uranus at 13º22' Capricorn,1st house.This aspect makes my mind quite intuitive,also adds more mental 'jumpiness' to my overall chart(I have Mars in Gemini in mutual reception with Mercury) but overall I'd say it is a positive influence on my intelect.But,am I a Miss Know-It-All?Oh,you bet.

I have very little patience with those who aren't as mentally fast or intuitive as me-I've been trying to work on that for a while.

blennus

I wonder if having "little patience for idiots" an integral part of this aspect? I seriously am an need of a large does of that myself. Why don't the idiots around me just open their scab encrusted eyes for just one moment and try to use their puny little rusted brains for just one tiny moment eh? Seriously.

As for nervous tension, and the inability to focus? I don't really have a problem with that, but that's probably more due to the fact that I have Pluto trine Mercury as a stabilizing agent so to speak. Neptune sextile mercury also helps mellow out the thornier nature of the Uranus-Mercury square. And as for out of the box thinking... Box? What box? There was a box? :D

Oh, and before you ask, yes. Yes I am a genius. No, no. No need to thank me for telling you. :D

archergirl

I wonder if having "little patience for idiots" an integral part of this aspect?

LOL. This is exactly right. I have a Mercury/Uranus square (Mercury 13 Capricorn, Uranus 8 Libra) and "little patience for idiots" just about covers it. The problem with realising that you are highly intelligent is that you also realise the majority of people aren't, and I mean no disrespect here, either. My IQ puts me in the top 2% (according to Mensa) but this isn't exactly the bonus people seem to think it would be. It can be alienating.

I never had trouble with exams as I was able to focus entirely on the exam to the exclusion of everything else (probably a benefit of having a Capricorn Mercury and Saturn in the 3rd house: structured thinking). In fact, I excel at taking written exams as I have a photographic memory. Oral exams could be problematic, though. In general my mind is far ahead of my mouth, so I tend to have a mild stutter when I'm excited or under pressure.

'Nervous tension' is another key trait, I think. I have difficulty shutting off my brain at night, so unless I am very tired I have trouble getting to sleep. Having a 1st house Mars actually helps here because I 'need' to exercise, which means I tire myself out physically; this helps me get to sleep more easily.

AG:)

Lissa

I wouldn't call people idiots,that calls for bad karma but,err...some people are.I have been working on being more patient with people who aren't fast thinkers like me (this is a more political correct way of putting it),so my sould doesn't turn out dumb in the next reincarnation.

Nervous and mentally restless?Yup,I am tha way too-can't seem to shut off my mind,my Mercury-Mars mutual reception and Mercury-Jupiter trine play into that as well.Braging a little bit,I can say I am quite clever too,my IQ was around 125 when I was 12.:) But this is a wonderful aspect to have,honestly,makes us intuitive,fast thinkers who can always think outside the box,in creative,unusual ways.It would be a pity if we let arrogance take over us.

byjove

Account Closed

Well, I think it might be useful for us to also look at stabalising influences to soften the more negative features of this contact, rather than celebrate our supposed intellectual supremacy lol. I agree, I think it's not 'smart' or not conducive to smooth relationships or easier progression if we call people idiots all of the time. (I only do it when really angry, and even then I know I shouldn't...).

I've lucky to have a good mind, with a Pisces Mercury, would you believe?! I've Mercury-Mars and Mars-Jupiter sextiles which help, but Mercury exactly conjunct MC exactly trine AC, hence, I don't stutter, and bite my tongue rather than declare who are idiots lol. It's true though, we've seen the statistics, the charts and graphs, it's scary when you realise, you've a decent mind, but we're supposed to let everyone else vote? Misinformation on the part of the mass costs other people basic human rights...just one idea...

archergirl

I would never overtly call someone an idiot (except maybe Mr. Archergirl :D), but I often think that people don't see things which, to me, seem quite obvious (the bywords here being, "I could've TOLD you that!"). When I was young I was very intellectually arrogant and exemplified the worst traits of a Mercury/Uranus square (e.g. 'tell it like I see it', with no tact whatsoever). I've had to learn tact and diplomacy, but not without several relapses, especially when confronted with what I view as obtuseness from the other party.:D On the other hand, I have a fairly easygoing chart (Moon-Sun trine, Mars-Jupiter trine, Mars-Saturn sextile) so this hasn't caused me the trouble that it might cause someone with a more difficult chart. Now I realise that, no matter how smart I am, there's always someone more knowledgeable, and this is a good thing.

AG:)

Lissa

byjove said:
Well, I think it might be useful for us to also look at stabalising influences to soften the more negative features of this contact, rather than celebrate our supposed intellectual supremacy lol. I agree, I think it's not 'smart' or not conducive to smooth relationships or easier progression if we call people idiots all of the time. (I only do it when really angry, and even then I know I shouldn't...).

LOL,you are right.I was lucky to have Mercury sextile Saturn,so I can focus and study for long periods of time.Lately I've been trying to heal the bad karma of being an intelectual sob at times by helping those who have trouble learning.I want my next incarnation to be equally clever(or more)as I am.

aquarius7000

Hi Jove,
This aspect has been causing me some concern for some time...at best I've read that it sharpens the intellect etc. though pride and arrogance are probable too.
This is also my basic understanding of the aspect in question. I would suppose that it is needless to say that there are also other aspects that sharpen the intellect, just like there are those that contribute to pride and arrogance. For sure, IMO, Merc-Ura aspects, give lots of nervous mental energies and restlessness; and, esp when Mercury (thinking and communicating) 'has it rough' (square/opposition=conflict) with Uranus (sudden, inconsistent spurts of energy); it might be hard to synchronise and bring the thinking and communicating in tune. Also, there could sometimes be problems in holding oneself back from saying what one is thinking in a particular situation/at a given moment (Uranus might excite the mind and, with that, perhaps even the tongue). Things might just roll out all too easily, even a bit unplanned and unwanted:eek:. This is how and when one might upset the apple cart more often than others.

Liz Greene says: "If you were born with a Mercury-Uranus aspect, you'll usually say what you think, even if it means upsetting shocking or hurting others."

John Townley says regarding Mercury-Uranus square in his book on 'Lunar Returns': "It's easier than usual to have a sharp and sarcastic tongue, and the opportunities for cutting up a rapier wit abound."

Mercury-Uranus aspects also make the mind more inventive, creative and agile. They can literally mean 'bright sparks' and make one out of a native as well.;). With this aspect, the mind needs a constant feed of news and excitement, even adventure; it is inquisitive. It simply needs to be kept occupied or it is comparatively more easy for it to become 'a devil's workshop'. Merc-Uranus can, on the one hand make the mind easily adaptable to and interested in new, even unconventional things, but also indecisive, inconsistent and highly impatient. Concentration problems are common here. What might be of interest today, can become an object of boredom tomorrow. It is easy for a native with such an aspect to start many different things, but a challenge to actually complete them and 'put a full stop at the end of the sentence'. Of course, other aspects/placements might contribute otherwise

Personally, I do not have an aspect between these two planets, but mutual reception by house (Ura in 3rd and Merc in 6th), an Aquarian Merc, and Uranus in trine to my 3rd-house ruler, Venus (through Libra). I find it fairly easy to grasp things, have a quick and agile mind (sometimes even a quick tongue to my disadvantage), but find it difficult to concentrate on a subject for too long, unless really bitten by it. A bit of a compensation is provided by a tight trine between Saturn and Venus. I remember when, not so very long ago, I did my degree dissertation, and was understandably involved in extensive research, I would be looking for material on a particular topic, and, during my research on that topic, would come across a thousand other interesting topics and readings, and be totally fascinated by them. At the end of the day, thought I had learned about many different things, but not gone in depth into that one topic I had actually started out with. Can you imagine why my Ura in 3rd gets tickled by, but also hates pop-up windows. Such a menace.:D Now, I am finally learning to train and reign my mind through that Sat-Ven trine, and teach Uranus a lesson. Hopefully, this part will be consistent before lightening strikes again.

;)AQ7

byjove

Account Closed

aquarius7000 said:
Hi Jove,

Concentration problems are common here. What might be of interest today, can become an object of boredom tomorrow. It is easy for a native with such an aspect to start many different things, but a challenge to actually complete them and 'put a full stop at the end of the sentence'. Of course, other aspects/placements might contribute otherwise

... I find it fairly easy to grasp things, have a quick and agile mind (sometimes even a quick tongue to my disadvantage), but find it difficult to concentrate on a subject for too long, unless really bitten by it. A bit of a compensation is provided by a tight trine between Saturn and Venus. I remember when, not so very long ago, I did my degree dissertation, and was understandably involved in extensive research, I would be looking for material on a particular topic, and, during my research on that topic, would come across a thousand other interesting topics and readings, and be totally fascinated by them. At the end of the day, thought I had learned about many different things, but not gone in depth into that one topic I had actually started out with...

;)AQ7

Wow! Am I glad that you posted this! You covered a few things troubling me. I'm currently in the middle of my degree and worry that mercury-uranus natal contact causes me as much trouble as help in college. Concentration on one topic for too long is difficult, but that you've made it! That's quite comforting! I've an exact Sun-Saturn trine, Mercury exactly trine AC and I hope that these help me this area, yet, I read before that aspects never cancel each other out, that it's never OR but instead AND. I'm this AND...So I suppose those of us with tricky uranus-mercury natals, look to stabalising influences...:)

aries86

I have this aspect also.. merc in pisces 6th and uranus in sag in the 3rd. i too feel as though i get lazy with test taking! i know that my scores do not refect my actual intellegence. i would say that this aspect does effect the level of my concentration.. just now i only read a few posts and only about half way through haha! sorry guys.. that could also be my not so patient aries sun though.

byjove

Account Closed
Hi all,

I've been keen to write and learn more about this aspect. I noticed there are no threads for this specific aspect in the natal section, and I have misspelled Uranus in the thread title...

Does Mercury square Uranus indicate the penchant for social criticism? I mean criticising society? Do any other people with the aspect think so? I notice that this has been a strong part of my nature for many years, I go against the grain of what's popular in many things, taste and trends in clothes, music, personal goods etc. I'm not a total rebel but mostly I buy and appreciate differently and individually. I also notice I've a critical underbelly with a sharp eye for social 'sheep'.

As Aquarius7000 pointed out above, I do indeed have a vital thrist for information...it's unbelievable how many sources of information on so many topics I demand every day. Mercury in my case is my 3rd ruler conjunct the MC from the 9th side.

Any more insights on this aspect?

Fragoso

Hi everyone!

Who else has this aspect, knows someone with it or would like to talk about it? This aspect has been causing me some concern for some time...at best I've read that it sharpens the intellect, etc. though pride and arrogance are probable too. But what really troubles me, is how easy it is to waste energy and opportunity. I've many examples of this, and one of the most revealing for me is IQ tests. For years I was getting fairly average marks. (I wanted more, how conceited lol). But then I started to realize that while being tested, my legs shake, my hands fidget, my mind races through 5 irrelevant things and I get lazy with questions. Accurate results? Don't think so. So It's taken me time to TRY and slow the flushing rapids, slow the thoughts. Now I get...a higher result.

How many exams in school and college have I wasted with what I identify was this aspect? How about you?

Hello.
Sorry here i got a sextille :biggrin: but my virgo brother has the square.
It's funny cause i always look to mercury-uranus as persons that think 'above' the others... You need a time machine to understand their ideas xD.
In the square things get a little problematic, cause the person will be very stuborn and will not accept others ideas very easily.

Just free you mind, and follow your visions,
Fragoso

ps: Here is a very good brainstorm about mercury-uranus http://astrofix.net/2010/12/22/mercuryuranus-aspects/

Fragoso

And can you relate to much of the characteristics Frago?

Hello. I consider myself a thinker outside the box.
That's because my mercury in scorpio (that provides me a very strong intuition) sextilles uranus and squares saturn in aquarius. So there is a reception between my mercury and satrun that gives him traits of aquarius mercury.

Thinking ahead,
Fragoso

Fragoso

Hi Jove,
This is also my basic understanding of the aspect in question. I would suppose that it is needless to say that there are also other aspects that sharpen the intellect, just like there are those that contribute to pride and arrogance. For sure, IMO, Merc-Ura aspects, give lots of nervous mental energies and restlessness; and, esp when Mercury (thinking and communicating) 'has it rough' (square/opposition=conflict) with Uranus (sudden, inconsistent spurts of energy); it might be hard to synchronise and bring the thinking and communicating in tune. Also, there could sometimes be problems in holding oneself back from saying what one is thinking in a particular situation/at a given moment (Uranus might excite the mind and, with that, perhaps even the tongue). Things might just roll out all too easily, even a bit unplanned and unwanted:eek:. This is how and when one might upset the apple cart more often than others.

Liz Greene says: "If you were born with a Mercury-Uranus aspect, you'll usually say what you think, even if it means upsetting shocking or hurting others."

John Townley says regarding Mercury-Uranus square in his book on 'Lunar Returns': "It's easier than usual to have a sharp and sarcastic tongue, and the opportunities for cutting up a rapier wit abound."

Mercury-Uranus aspects also make the mind more inventive, creative and agile. They can literally mean 'bright sparks' and make one out of a native as well.;). With this aspect, the mind needs a constant feed of news and excitement, even adventure; it is inquisitive. It simply needs to be kept occupied or it is comparatively more easy for it to become 'a devil's workshop'. Merc-Uranus can, on the one hand make the mind easily adaptable to and interested in new, even unconventional things, but also indecisive, inconsistent and highly impatient. Concentration problems are common here. What might be of interest today, can become an object of boredom tomorrow. It is easy for a native with such an aspect to start many different things, but a challenge to actually complete them and 'put a full stop at the end of the sentence'. Of course, other aspects/placements might contribute otherwise

;)AQ7

Hello AQ7!
I agree so mutch with this. :w00t:

ps: I have also read that quote from Liz Greene i am not sure but i think it was in her/his book.

Frag

aquarius7000

Hello. I consider myself a thinker outside the box.
That's because my mercury in scorpio (that provides me a very strong intuition) sextilles uranus and squares saturn in aquarius. So there is a reception between my mercury and satrun that gives him traits of aquarius mercury.

Thinking ahead,
Fragoso
I think the intuition part could have more to do with Merc-Ura aspect and perhaps other factors in the chart, and less to do with a Sco Merc.

I can tell you my aspects as I have a strong sixth sense, too. Natal aspects that perhaps support this in my case are:

Third house ruler, Ven, in a tight square with Nep in the 4th
12th house ruler, the Moon, in a tight sextile with 3rd house ruler, Ven
3rd house ruler, Ven, trine a third house Uranus.

Cypocryphy

Just wanted to add to this, even though it's an old thread. But what are the characteristics that seem salient with this aspect?

➤ More often than not, a smart person
➤ More often than not, the person thinks they are smarter than they really are, which causes conflict or raises the ire of others because of misplaced conceit. (This is especially obvious when around others who know more or who are indeed "smarter," however you define that.
➤ This person will lie and manipulate to get what they want if it is something that they truly want and will justify the behavior, even convincing themselves that they are not lying (even when it's blatantly obvious by means of impeachment or something like that)
➤ More often than not, a fan of marginalized areas of knowledge (e.g., being an expert in Meyer's-Briggs and psuedo-Junian psychology or Astrology—even though I think all of us here will agree that astrology should never be on the outskirts of knowledge or belief).
➤ Very frequently will suffer from foot-in-mouth syndrome. Notorious for saying something that should never be said, lacking tact and diplomacy to an exceptional degree (will all other things being considered in the chart). This is often exacerbated by an often misplaced inflated self-opinion, as if providing a carte-blanch to speak their mind to others.
➤ Will likely suffer from loneliness because of social ineptness or being socially off-putting. May very well be surrounded by "friends" but will struggle to name a true friend among the bunch.

One more thing:

➤ Despite, more often than not, being above average intelligence, will have a lazy mind. The focus is diffused and seemingly unable to pick out what really matters, so intelligence struggles to grow.

I could go on but think I'll stop there as I'm not stressing too many positives. However, on a positive note:
➤ Will sometimes have brilliant insight into situations and can see things from a different angle that can be helpful.

Last edited:
I have this Mercury libra 8th house square uranus 11th. 0 orb

So i think i can give some insight.

This aspect does make the person intelligent but no intelligent here would be incorrect. street smart ?

Here is the thing how this played out for me. I was intelligent beyond my years not at all high IQ **** or anything but when i was a child ; I could do high school math **** like that. I came first always when i was young in everything did i study ? nope i was lazy. Praised by my teachers.

However , i grew up quickly. And how do i put it i saw the bigger picture very quickly but in a very bad way. I was more intrigued by LIFE. What is it ? This aspect surely give you blessed intelligence but you don't really cultivate it. You see it as useless. You want to learn things which are more dark.

But there is the other side of the picture , Education which people with this aspect do not value at all. Which is the only evil with this. Value your education stay in school. I personally skipped highschool my last 4 years. I of course still passed with ease.

So does this aspect mean you are the smartest person in a room ? certainly not are you the wisest however ? wittiest ? astute ? probably yea.

It actually does a T-square in my chart i have moon 5th house square mercury too and neptune uranus opposition moon 11th