Hello

Nathan

Hello All!

I'm excited to take part in the Astrologers' Community.This is my first go at an online forum. The search for good conversation about astrology brought me here! What first came to mind when I thought of what could I say in the Introduce Yourself section was something like "hello, I have my ___ conjunct the Astrologers' Community's ____." I am curious to know the astro-data for the "birth" of this forum. It would be an interesting thing to look at.

If anyone has an idea please let me know :)

It's a pleasure to meet everyone here! I look forward to sharing ideas about anything astrology!

Personally, I have an interest in the history of the internet and the way in which entities like Facebook shape that history. I am still in the process of getting familiar with the chart application here but do plan on creating a thread devoted to this. Here we could discuss many things about that subject matter.

Good day to all!

Noel Eastwood

Premium Member
Hi Nathan, welcome, it sounds like you know a bit about astrology and computers/internet, please post your thoughts, the history of social media and astrology forums, now that sure does sound interesting.

Noel

Nathan

Hello Noel,

Thank you for the welcome :)

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2012/05/the-internet-at-the-dawn-of-facebook/257342/

This article gives attention to the subtle yet immense change the internet has gone through since 2004 or since the advent of Facebook. #digitialvertigo by Andrew Keen is a great elaboration on the more worrisome matters.

http://www.amazon.ca/Digital-Vertigo-Revolution-Diminishing-Disorienting/dp/B00BCUTV7K

A chart for Facebook can be found here:

http://mountainastrologer.com/tma/mark-zuckerberg-and-facebook

Some of the key themes present here are identity/self and individuality. And yet interestingly these themes are ambiguously in tandem with the dynamics of selflessness and universality. Take for example the Sun conj. Neptune in AQ. And with modern rulerships we could even say that Uranus and Neptune are in mutual reception.

I can think of the "Ice Bucket Challenge" and "#NoMakeupSelfie" as emblematic of the higher expression of these energies. Here the person shines as an individual (Sun) in doing selfless, compassionate acts (Neptune). These are shared moments of vulnerability and disempowerment. There is a subtle selflessness to the otherwise full-of-self spotlight that comes along with posting videos and selfies. I am finding that there is an undercurrent of Neptune like Oneness that characterizes social media. This is sometimes as simple as noticing that Facebook to some extent blurs and dissolves the boundaries between peoples and cultures. If you are connected, your connected. That's all that matters! Doesn't matter if your connected in Canada or Australia.

On the other hand, as we all know, however, working with Pisces and Neptune isn't at all evident. Navigating through the vast cosmic waters of the sign of Pisces or making any real sense out of elusive Neptune images can be nearly impossible. Without a doubt the social media environment has worrisome qualities as Andrew Keen has demonstrated. I do agree with him that the online social revolution has been debilitating to us, but only up to a certain point. Because something notable happened at the very same time that our identity became "disoriented".

First it demanded that we attend to the question of identity in the first place. This gives reflection to something that is otherwise usually instinctual. Secondly, and more importantly, the status of identity changed. Instead of acquiring an identity via an accumulated history of experience with various environments you are now the creator/chooser of your environment online. The success of Linden Lab's "Second Life" is a testament to this change as a concrete example of identity formation. Facebook, though not a harbor of avatars, has striking similarities to the Second Life project. The key difference is that Facebook eliminates the avatar as a medium for identity and instead makes you and your real life the avatar. (Sun conjunct Neptune on ASC?) The distinguishing line between identity and avatar is no longer maintained and we can do away with the avatar altogether. Like the cliche of climbing a ladder and then kicking it out from under yourself when it is no longer needed for the work to be done at the present level, we've all kicked the idea of avatar from under us as we engaged with a "profile". In a weird way this brought the avatar to our lived life (and then is kicked away) and in that sense Facebook does the reverse of Second Life.

We can't forget that the sign that the conjunction takes place in is AQ. AQ is all about breaking down the old and to heralding in the new.

One last thing that seems relevant to this subject matter is the meaning of Uranus in Pisces itself.

Frances Sakoian writes in the Astrologer's Handbook:

"The fundamental motivating factor of Uranus in Pisces is to seek liberation from the mental and emotional influence of the past. There is a spiritual struggle to overcome past materialistic tendencies, combined with a seeking for a higher spiritual identity"

http://www.amazon.ca/The-Astrologers-Handbook-Frances-Sakoian/dp/006272004X

There is so much more to say...

Nathan

Noel Eastwood

Premium Member
These numbers are staggering,

"Globally, 556 million people now access the site every day on their smartphone or tablet and at the end of 2013, for the first time, Facebook made more than $1bn in revenue from mobile advertising in just one quarter." http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/feb/04/facebook-in-numbers-statistics

The Mountain Atrologer article by Mary Plumb is of greater interest to the astrologer :)

This article talks about the growth in usage which is quite remarkable.

http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/feb/04/facebook-in-numbers-statistics

Nathan

Nathan

"Globally, 556 million people now access the site every day on their smartphone or tablet and at the end of 2013, for the first time, Facebook made more than $1bn in revenue from mobile advertising in just one quarter." http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/2014/feb/04/facebook-in-numbers-statistics[/QUOTE]

These mobile devices allow users to remain connected at all times. 24/7--unless their cell phone battery dies...

These everyday users are probably never logged out!

When I recall the Facebook chart, I note that the Sun is on the angle (Asc) in a fixed sign (Aquarius) This, in part, brings the persistence energy to its users. The Sun is also conj. Neptune. This factor doesn't seem to make things easier on the users' will to use or not use.

Nathan

I figured I would attach a thumbnail of the Facebook chart so that those who are interested can easily access it :)

Attachments

• Facebook.gif
    Facebook.gif
    51 KB · Views: 27

Nathan

The final dispositor of this chart, using traditional rulerships, is the Moon in Cancer.

The sabian symbol attributed to the degree it is traveling in is here in blue with some interpretation. The larger article can be reached here:

http://www.mindfire.ca/An Astrological Mandala/An Astrological Mandala - Cancer 16-30.htm

PHASE 114 (CANCER 24°): A WOMAN AND TWO MEN CASTAWAYS ON A SMALL ISLAND OF THE SOUTH SEAS.
KEYNOTE: The focalization of complex inner potentialities in harmonic and concrete relationships.
We are dealing here with a special phase of the process of integration. The woman and the two men represent the three-fold aspect of the human personality, particularly at this stage when one of these aspects — the emotional life (the woman) — is facing the possibility, if not the inevitability, of relating itself to both the spiritual and the mental. This confrontation occurs on a small island of the South Seas, and "south" always refers symbolically to the strong and passionate impulses of human nature. Somehow the three-fold consciousness has to develop a harmonious and well-integrated modus vivendi (a specific way of life). If successful, this will release powerful energies and will lead to the next symbolic scene.
We have reached the fourth stage of the twenty-third five-fold sequence. As is most often the case, we are introduced here to a specific technique — or at least to a problem of technique — in living. The three human beings should become integrated; but the form this integration will take seems left open. It has to be a concrete type of integration in terms of the emotional and biological drives of human nature (an island of the South Seas) and the field of integration is "small." The key to the problem of relationship should be the realization of INTER-DEPENDENCE.

Nathan

Thank you for the welcome everybody!

There is a now thread open under Mundane Astrology now with the title: Facebook which takes up the conversation we started here!

:)