Astrologers' Community

Astrologers' Community (https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/index.php)
-   Natal Astrology (https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Beginning to Study Astrology (https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18247)

Charlotte 02-03-2010 12:58 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Wow, that was very interesting, i think im probably the youngest person on this site (14)

I have always been interested in stars, when i was younger i used to lay on my trampoline at night with my dog and stare at the stars in admiration :love:

Antikythera Mechanism 02-03-2010 04:14 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte (Post 184188)
Wow, that was very interesting, i think im probably the youngest person on this site (14)

I have always been interested in stars, when i was younger i used to lay on my trampoline at night with my dog and stare at the stars in admiration :love:

Yep you are right. I am pretty old myself but young at heart.:biggrin: When I was young and living down in Costa Rica, I wondered if there were any meanings to fixed stars and star parans- the angles to the planets/stars.

Antikythera Mechanism 02-03-2010 04:20 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Charlotte....I envy you because when I was your age I was not interested in Astrology- I really got into it when I saw mysterious patterns of behavior with someone I once trusted- The reason I brought all that out is because astrology is such an important aspect of my life and it really kept my sanity together!


[personal/intimate comments about family members are to be avoided in this forum as it has no relevance to this thread. Therefore I deleted them. Moderator.]

Charlotte 02-03-2010 04:25 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antikythera Mechanism (Post 184217)
Charlotte....I envy you because when I was your age I was not interested in Astrology- I really got into it when I saw mysterious patterns of behavior with someone I once trusted-
The reason I brought all that out is because astrology is such an important aspect of my life and it really kept my sanity together!

Maybe you can help me out, because im really confused! :tongue:

[deleted intimate comments quoted, per moderator comment above]

starlink 02-10-2010 09:39 AM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
larrydzwonkowski, that link could be useful for others also. Maybe you could post the link as well in the "Recommendations" board of this forum.

[Note: larry is a spammer and has been banned from the forum - Moderator]

noideaaboutastro 02-10-2010 11:51 AM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Thanks Frank for the post. I wish I could come to your classes.

I've being learning astrology pretty much from this forum and from places like cafeastrology, astro.com etc. So basically, online. I'm getting better at it, but sooooo eeevvvvveeeeer soooooooo ssssslllllllloooowwwwlllllhyy. It's a little bit painful.

Everytime there is an interpretation question I feel like having a go at it, then read the skilled knowledgeable astrologers notes on it and see things I never saw! And my input becomes void, because frankly they can just see so much more than me. It definately is a science that takes a lot of time.

I have to admit though, even though I'm a beginner, I do look at Chiron and Juno - for me, personally, I find them important. It could also be because my Juno is conjunct my Sun in 7th house. But even though those with more authority than me will probably tisk tisk at me for it, I also do what intuitively feels right - and involving those two in my interpretations does. I think astrology is not just learning but also intuition - when you look at a chart, you also get a "feel". Or maybe that's just me.

But yeah, as you can see by my name, I'm still learning.

Shining Ray 02-10-2010 12:47 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
The link was full advertisements, and a search engine. I wouldn't put advertising sites on recommendations. The thread should consist of established websites, and good books. Astrodienst is great for articles and free chart generators, sample readings etc. An astrology student beginning their studies, will find this place useful. There are plenty of others out there, but you can never replace good books. If you are on a low budget, I think we should set up a place where you can learn the basics for free on the net, but you feel safe clicking the links :smile:. Narrow all those links down on the recommendations board, It takes forever to go through, and open a new thread with only the essential ones listed. Moderated links to other sites.

[Note: larry is a spammer and has been banned from the forum - Moderator]

Sebastien Cheritte 02-12-2010 06:23 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Well then if this is the beginning of class - I'm here, sorry I'm late... fashionably as always ;)

So... Master/Teacher/Speaker - Frank!

Hit us with the details so we can all grow :ninja: asap.

Frank 02-12-2010 06:39 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastien Cheritte (Post 185706)
Well then if this is the beginning of class - I'm here, sorry I'm late... fashionably as always ;)

So... Master/Teacher/Speaker - Frank!

Hit us with the details so we can all grow :ninja: asap.

I suggest reading the section on the planets in William Lilly's "Christian Astrology" Book I. It is in the public domain and available from several sites on the Web for download.

Once you learn the meanings and assignments for each of the planets - as well as discover the underlying logic for those meanings and assignments - you'll be well on your way.

Sebastien Cheritte 02-12-2010 07:10 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Frank.. say I be frank then and mention my reluctance to read this book based on various self-assured reasons why not to.


***Then I ask you whether or not you have something to ask me to show and/or tell whether or not I NEED to. ;)

Frank 02-12-2010 07:14 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastien Cheritte (Post 185716)
Frank.. say I be frank then and mention my reluctance to read this book based on various self-assured reasons why not to.

Suit yourself, then.

Sebastien Cheritte 02-12-2010 07:45 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Thanks Frank, fair enough... but the best way for me to get any idea of what's going on at all I suppose would be for me drop my chart somewhere and take a look at it with an expert... where could I do that?

starlink 02-13-2010 03:09 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Sebastien, if you want to look at your chart together with an astrologer, then find an astrologer near where you are living, who is willing to sit with you for a couple of month . Or going to a course would be another way to do it .

Frank is right, start with that book, or with a modern astrology for beginners book. Frank is more into traditional right now, but even so, Traditional is how it all started, how Astrology came into existence, so try going over that book as it really gives a lot of extremely good information. If you want to continue the modern way, you can always build onto that basic traditional information.

Claire19 02-15-2010 11:28 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by starlink (Post 153866)
Frank, this is a wonderful addition to this Forum. I hope all the members here will read this as indeed, as you say:
People who have barely even looked at a chart are suddenly zooming off to investigate hypothetical planets, thousands of asteroids, and arcane techniques.
This is what exasperates me every time again. Even the other day someone was asking about a point in space I just had never even heard of!!! and I am in this business for over 30 years.

Thank you very much for the precise and "step for step" explanation on how you work. This will be a great help for any beginner. New beginners just have to learn to be patient and stop being curious about what will happen to them. I cant tell you how often I have pointed that out.

Made my day!

Starlink

I understand your frustration about these asteroids, fixed stars and whatever. Someone just seems to manufacture the legends about them and mainly because they want to evoke a scenario to play out the way they want. I never use them and I have been practising for 30 years also.
I am even skeptical about Chiron to be honest.

Claire19 02-15-2010 11:30 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlotte (Post 184188)
Wow, that was very interesting, i think im probably the youngest person on this site (14)

I have always been interested in stars, when i was younger i used to lay on my trampoline at night with my dog and stare at the stars in admiration :love:

I hope when you are older and can handle it, that you will learn the science and the art that is astrology. It is fun to look at the Sun signs etc and read newspaper columns but really that is only for entertainment. Astrology is very complex and takes a long time to really get a handle on it.

I wish you luck in the future and keep stargazing.:wink:

Claire19 02-15-2010 11:41 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 07.Re (Post 181282)
Yup, its called Passion with a capital"P". :love:

:joyful:

I agree it has to be a passion as it is a difficult and complex subject and many fall by the wayside in their studies and dont complete.

I am one that has been enamoured of it all for many many years and I feel it is really a calling of a sort. We need a strong Uranus for sure or 11th house or Aquarian planets to stick with astrology......Jupiter connections also help as do planets in the 8th of the metaphysical realms and the 12th for spiritual yearnings. The 9th for a sense of faith and learning the Universal truths. Any and all of these combinations.. Pluto for obsession, passion and tenacity......

Claire19 05-27-2010 10:06 AM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by freedomlover (Post 158176)
Amen! Preach it, sister!:biggrin:

Very well put, Claire! Actually, after having endured a huge crisis of faith, much of it at the hands of "the Church" - it was watching the transits, and seeing that they never fail - that helped restore my faith in something greater than myself actually being in control of everything.

FL

Yeah sorry to sound sermonising...:biggrin:...Glad to hear your comments about taking your own observations and using them. I am not sure of the nature of the godforce but there has to be something that has set everything in motion and although it seems chaotic it actually isnt.

astrologer50 05-27-2010 10:20 AM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastien Cheritte (Post 185724)
Thanks Frank, fair enough... but the best way for me to get any idea of what's going on at all I suppose would be for me drop my chart somewhere and take a look at it with an expert... where could I do that?

beinners forum but be warned my style in not to simply drop answers in your lap --

My way of helping newcomers is for them to do more research and learning rather than just ‘drop the answer in your lap’ and not necessarily to provide professional readings and forecast future events. If you are truly interested in astrology, I and most others here will help you…..

Having a Sagittarius MC which is the sign of the teacher and I do indeed teach astrology. This forum is a wonderful community of all mixed levels and types of astrologers. So I may provide links to encourage you in the hope that if you are sincerely interested enough you will do the research and enlighten yourself….

astrologer50 05-27-2010 10:21 AM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire19 (Post 186362)
I agree it has to be a passion as it is a difficult and complex subject and many fall by the wayside in their studies and dont complete.

I am one that has been enamoured of it all for many many years and I feel it is really a calling of a sort. We need a strong Uranus for sure or 11th house or Aquarian planets to stick with astrology......Jupiter connections also help as do planets in the 8th of the metaphysical realms and the 12th for spiritual yearnings. The 9th for a sense of faith and learning the Universal truths. Any and all of these combinations.. Pluto for obsession, passion and tenacity......

True, I have very close trine to MC and teach astrology,Aquarius Asc, uranus conj sun/moon midpoint AND have written a diploma and do public speaking when I have the time :love: it is addictive...

Stella 06-15-2010 08:57 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
excellent post!

Rhpeltz 08-28-2010 05:34 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
I am also beginning to study Astrology and am looking for a good training course. I looked at www.skyage.com and it looked good. What do you think? Also Matrix software. Thanks

davidwillson 10-18-2010 07:08 PM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank (Post 153868)
Where ever you think it fits best - I wanted to have discussion of it, so I thought the Education Board was the wrong choice. Maybe Greenhorns' Lounge?

Very good suggestion. I will see if I can make a Sticky out of it. Newby's should see this.

serafin5 12-06-2010 06:03 AM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire19 (Post 158175)
Very well put. The Church typically advised against the masses gaining too much knowledge and therefore not able to be controlled. They have typically used it themselves however for a long time. God created the Universe and we are part of it all. Keep them dumbed down and in fear has been their modus operandi. To be a genuine astrologer is to know that your beliefs only deepen and know that there is a Godforce behind everything. We all know that the Bible has been adulterated, misinterpreted and edited to suit the prevailing authorities.

As the daughter of a Christian Pastor, (I am on parole for good behavior from that "religion"), and a Lover of Astrology, this statement is soooo true.
Sadly, nobody realizes that God never invented "religion".

Blessings, Serafin5:joyful:

astrologer50 12-06-2010 10:06 AM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidwillson (Post 242155)
Very good suggestion. I will see if I can make a Sticky out of it. Newby's should see this.

this is *already* a sticky and appropriately placed in 'Beginner's board' :rightful:

astrologer50 12-06-2010 10:07 AM

Re: Beginning to Study Astrology
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rhpeltz (Post 230420)
I am also beginning to study Astrology and am looking for a good training course. I looked at www.skyage.com and it looked good. What do you think? Also Matrix software. Thanks

Have you looked through our *Recommendations Forum?* :kissing:


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.