Synastry confusion

Holist

I don't have a huge amount of experience with couple's synastry, but I can use the synastry grid in astrology software to examine what the planets are up to.

Here's where I'm confused...

So, it's popular wisdom that trines and sextiles between personal planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn) make for the most successful relationships, but I am not seeing a pattern.

I have studied the synastry of married couples who are quite happy and their personal planets are often a mixed bag. For some, there are very few aspects at all. Conversely, I have seen relationships fall apart when there seem to be a lot of personal planetary connections.

It seems like this picture is incomplete. Yes it's true, we have free will and the astrology isn't everything... but surely there is a better way to predict the likely nature of a relationship that I'm not seeing?

Can anyone with a lot of experience doing this shed some light on this for me? I am also learning traditional astrology if that gives us a further access point.

Last edited:

ElenaJ

I don't have a huge amount of experience with couple's synastry, but I can use the synastry grid in astrology software to examine what the planets are up to.

Here's where I'm confused...

So, it's popular wisdom that trines and sextiles between personal planets (Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn) make for the most successful relationships, but I am not seeing a pattern.

I have studied the synastry of married couples who are quite happy and their personal planets are often a mixed bag. For some, there are very few aspects at all. Conversely, I have seen relationships fall apart when there seem to be a lot of personal planetary connections.

It seems like this picture is incomplete. Yes it's true, we have free will and the astrology isn't everything... but surely there is a better way to predict the likely nature of a relationship that I'm not seeing?

Can anyone with a lot of experience doing this shed some light on this for me? I am also learning traditional astrology if that gives us a further access point.

In addition to what Samantha Bean wrote, it is also true that too many easy aspects between two persons often make for an uninteresting relationship. You need some stimulation and challenge to keep interest.
Also, it is very important to have links between the ascendents and/or descendants. As well as the personal planets with these two. These serve as binders that hold two people together.

Holist

Thank you, this is good advice. I obviously have not been comprehensive enough. I was just looking at the over all synastry but not considering the dignities and debilities of the individuals in relation to one another.

It's clearly not enough to just see that a lot of personal planets interact. If those planets are in debility or in difficult houses then it doesn't make for good synastry per se.

Last edited:

GemGirl

Synastry is the most complicated and time consuming of the disciplines with the possible exception of rectification.

You need to do a mini-analysis of each chart individually.

Then you need to determine the most difficult houses, planets, and signs of each house. If you fail this step it all turns to mush.

Then you need to compare the most difficult planets of one person in the most difficult houses of the other person.

Then you need to switch.

Then you need to compare the most difficult planets of one person with the relationship of the most difficult planets of the other person.

Then you have to switch this.
---
Unless you have total recall, you will need at least three manuals that share these relationships(which means you have to buy books, and can't get it on the internet.)

Hi Samantha, Can you suggest any good books to purchase that will teach you the process you wrote about?

sea_of_qi

Some say conjunctions are the most important aspect in Synastry whether they portend good or bad depends. Positive aspects between the lights are a very good sign.

Also, adding a Composite chart to the Synastry analysis fills out the interpretation.

ElenaJ

Some say conjunctions are the most important aspect in Synastry whether they portend good or bad depends. Positive aspects between the lights are a very good sign.

Also, adding a Composite chart to the Synastry analysis fills out the interpretation.

Agreed, that a composite adds a snapshot of the relationship that can be helpful, but it can't substitute the synastry.
The composite midpoints could come from squares or trines or oppositions in the synastry, and these would be very different starting points, and have to be evaluated differently.

sea_of_qi

Agreed, that a composite adds a snapshot of the relationship that can be helpful, but it can't substitute the synastry.
The composite midpoints could come from squares or trines or oppositions in the synastry, and these would be very different starting points, and have to be evaluated differently.

Yes, what can be more complex than human relations. A sound relationship analysis would include Natal, Synastry, and Composite charts combined. Two people can have a good Synastry and Composite but if one (or both) of them has Natal indications of misery and depression/anxiety around relationships can they expect anything different?