Looking for a word

Moog

I find it very useful and convenient to be able to refer to groups of houses with a single term (i.e. Angles, Trines).

There doesn't seem to be a word in western astrological traditions for what the Indians call the dusthanas or trik houses; 6, 8, and 12.

I would be pleased to find an English equivalent, if anyone has run across one?

JUPITERASC

I find it very useful and convenient to be able to refer to groups of houses with a single term (i.e. Angles, Trines).

There doesn't seem to be a word in western astrological traditions for what the Indians call the dusthanas or trik houses; 6, 8, and 12.
Houses 6, 8 and 12 have in common that none aspects the Ascendant - hence their poor reputation :smile:
I would be pleased to find an English equivalent, if anyone has run across one?

dr. farr

Some of the ancients referred to 6,8,12 -as a group-as the "DISJUNCT" houses (at least Harranian astrologer Thabit ibn Qurra used this term in the 10th century*), and I imagine we could use that term, or the related term "inconjunct houses" , to express the same idea...

(*although ibn Qurra also included the 2nd house in this group)

Moog

Some of the ancients referred to 6,8,12 -as a group-as the "DISJUNCT" houses (at least Harranian astrologer Thabit ibn Qurra used this term in the 10th century*), and I imagine we could use that term, or the related term "inconjunct houses" , to express the same idea...

(*although ibn Qurra also included the 2nd house in this group)

2 is an interesting house isn't it? Why isn't it as 'bad' as the other bad houses? Might be a spin off thread in the offing.

Disjunct is such a clumsy/ugly word to me, it kinda suits. It doesn't roll from the tongue nicely, it kinda bumps and then falls out.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Disjunct is actually a really nice term, unfortunately it would have to encompass the Second house as it is also disjunct, so it's not quite what Moog would be looking for (though I will have to remember it for myself later).

The Second house is more favorable than the other bad places because of its association with rising up from the Underworld. In the Eighth house the Sun begins its descent into the Underworld before it finally "dies" on the horizon in the Seventh house. It then spends the entire night under the Earth before being reborn on the Ascendant at day, but the Second house is seen as the first place where the Sun begins to rise and escape from the Underworld through that gate which is the Second house. The gate into the Underworld is the Eighth, the Second's opposite.

dr. farr

Still, in Vedic astrology, the 2nd house is one of the maraka houses (death houses) although in practice (Vedic practice) the 2nd is not considered in the same light as the 6th and 8th (they also don't consider the 12th "all" that bad, although they do consider it a difficult place, but nothing compared to the 6th and the 8th)