The role of the most exact aspect in the chart

Lissa

Well,I was wondering what's exacly the difference between aspects with tight orbs and aspects that have larger orbs.I remember once reading somewhere that,the tighter the orb,the more uncoscious and automatic the linkage between the planets was,but my Internet research didn't allow me to reach any conclusions and I would be thankful if anyone more experienced would like to help claryfying this,perhaps answering some question that came up as I was trying to wrap my mind around this:

1-What's exacly the difference between a aspects with tight orbs and aspects with wider ones?For example:is a Venus-Pluto trine with a1º different from a Venus-Pluto trine with a5ºorb?Do they manifest themselves in the same way?

2-Is it true that,the tighter the orb,the more unconscious the aspect is is,and that aspects with wider orbs are more visible and conscious to us but less visible to those around us,that this,that aspects with tighter orbs manifest themselves in a more expressive way in one's life,while aspects with wider orbs are the one's the person is more aware of,but manifest themselves in the person's life in a 'weaker',less apparent way?(I think I read this somewhere).

3-Is the aspect with the tighter orb the dominant in one's chart,manifesting itself in one's life in a more proeminent way or even domineering one's life sometimes?

4-Would someone like to share some interesting experiences/personality traits that are directly related to the most exact aspect in one's chart(I don't know if I made myself clear so I'll try to explain myself better using an example:confused: :let's say a Moon-Mars conjunction is the most exact aspect in your chart,can you tell me about a life experience or a dominant personality trait that is somehow connected with that aspect?)?

Thanks in advance!

Best wishes,
Lissa

astro.teacher

1-What's exacly the difference between a aspects with tight orbs and aspects with wider ones?For example:is a Venus-Pluto trine with a1º different from a Venus-Pluto trine with a5ºorb?Do they manifest themselves in the same way?
Their manifestion is STRONGER in a tighter orb. Orbs which are 0 degrees within 13 minutes of eachother are extremely powerful, whether it be for good or bad. The further out of orb that the Planets separate, the further their rays need to travel to interact with the other Planet. You can only separate 90 degrees so far until its not a square anymore.

2-Is it true that,the tighter the orb,the more unconscious the aspect is is,and that aspects with wider orbs are more visible and conscious to us but less visible to those around us,that this,that aspects with tighter orbs manifest themselves in a more expressive way in one's life,while aspects with wider orbs are the one's the person is more aware of,but manifest themselves in the person's life in a 'weaker',less apparent way?(I think I read this somewhere).
Not that I have ever heard of or read. The tighter the orb, the more you will feel and experience it, the greater it will manifest in your life. It has nothing to do with conscious or unconscious, astrology happens whether or not you are aware of it. Those who know it can make the greatest use out of it.

3-Is the aspect with the tighter orb the dominant in one's chart,manifesting itself in one's life in a more proeminent way or even domineering one's life sometimes?
Yes in some ways, the tighter the orb, the more influence it has in the chart. The further the orb is away, the weaker it is. Perfect 0 degree 0-13 minute orbs are the most powerful influence in the chart in any aspect between any Planet, outside of this, its not nearly as powerful.

Let's say a Moon-Mars conjunction is the most exact aspect in your chart,can you tell me about a life experience or a dominant personality trait that is somehow connected with that aspect?)?
Mars conjunct the Ascendant is a better example, especially if the Ascendant is Aries, this can lead to pretty dominating people, the tighter the orb, the more dominating they become. I hope that answers your questions. If you have anymore let me know.

Aaron Brody - Astro.Teacher
http://antiquus.50webs.com
Antiquus Astrologia

Last edited:

Yoi

astro.teacher said:
Their manifestion is STRONGER in a tighter orb. Orbs which are 0 degrees within 13 minutes of eachother are extremely powerful, whether it be for good or bad. The further out of orb that the Planets separate, the further their rays need to travel to interact with the other Planet. You can only separate 90 degrees so far until its not a square anymore.

Not that I have ever heard of or read. The tighter the orb, the more you will feel and experience it, the greater it will manifest in your life. It has nothing to do with conscious or unconscious, astrology happens whether or not you are aware of it. Those who know it can make the greatest use out of it.

Yes in some ways, the tighter the orb, the more influence it has in the chart. The further the orb is away, the weaker it is. Perfect 0 degree 0-13 minute orbs are the most powerful influence in the chart in any aspect between any Planet, outside of this, its not nearly as powerful.

Astro.Teacher
http://antiquus.prophp.org
Antiquus Astrologia

My tightest aspect is Mars semisquare Pluto. (0 degrees 2 minutes). Given that aspect's reputation I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing...:)

Anyway, the question is, would an extremely tight semisquare like my Mars and Pluto be more powerful than a loose square? Similarly would an almost exact sextile be more powerful than a loose trine? How important is exactness compared to the type of aspect in determining how powerful the aspect is?

astro.teacher

My tightest aspect is Mars semisquare Pluto. (0 degrees 2 minutes). Given that aspect's reputation I'm not sure that's necessarily a good thing...
I should have been more specific, I meant tightest orb of the Major aspects. All Minor aspects are only considered for 1-2 degree orbs anyway.

Anyway, the question is, would an extremely tight semisquare like my Mars and Pluto be more powerful than a loose square?
No, since semisquare is a minor aspect, a semi square is half of a square (45 degrees) therefore half as powerful at its peak.

Similarly would an almost exact sextile be more powerful than a loose trine?
No, an exact sextile would be JUST as powerful as the loosest trine. Does that make sense? At an aspects peak, it is just as strong as the next aspects weakness point.

How important is exactness compared to the type of aspect in determining how powerful the aspect is?
The exactness of a Trine is the most desired aspect, the exactness of an Opposition is the most undesirable aspect. Remember, Trine=Perfect love, Sextile= Inperfect love/Friendship, Square=Imperfect enmity, Opposition= Perfect enmity. Exactness is very important(in the ways of fortune that is) for the 2 desirable aspects. I hope that answers your question.

Antiquus Astrologia

Last edited:

overthetop10

I would definitely agree with that intepretation of tighter aspects, though I don't have anything within 13 minutes, I have a few within 30 minutes of one another, which I find causes their energies to be highlighted in my chart:

astro_2gw_01_derek_zimmerman_hp.77741.7465.gif

Uranus Biquintile Ascendant - Descriptions I've read of this have explained why my Taurus ascendant has not manifested itself differently; I am tall and very thin, as opposed to the traditional Taurean thickness.

Saturn Opposition Moon - This aspect sucks when it's powerful, and every description I read of it explains so much of my life experience and especially the difficulties I face balancing my overwhelming emotions with the structure of my life, esp. because Saturn is conjunct the Sun and the Moon is exalted in the 1st.

Yod: Black Moon Lilith Sextile Chiron Pointing at Descendant - I am unsure of how to interpret this configuration, mostly because Lilith's role in the chart is as of yet so ill-defined, but this Yod is extremely tight, and I think further exacerbates the emotional tension and preoccupation with relationships (as Lilith seems to represent unconscious reactions and Chiron represents wounds and healing) that Saturn and the Moon contend over.

Oh, powerful aspects.

astro.teacher

Descriptions I've read of this have explained why my Taurus ascendant has not manifested itself differently; I am tall and very thin, as opposed to the traditional Taurean thickness.
Remember, while the Ascendant MAY describe the whole body generally, the first House represents the Head of the individual. Your thickness may come across somehow in your face (lips, eyebrows, nose) or even just your hair.

Antiquus Astrologia

Last edited:

Howl

Re: conscious and unconscious aspects?

I think the level of "conscious" experience of aspects (at least before studying astrology!) depends greatly on the planets and aspect involved, more so than the orb.

My tightest aspect is a Sun/Mercury conjunction in Sagittarius, just less than three minutes apart. I've never really thought about it how it plays out in my life, which is funny in a way because one characteristic of a conjunction is being unable to "separate" the function of each planet, and look at them objectively. I can't imagine myself without the qualities of being an overthinker, expressive, talkative, inquisitive, scattered, analytical, somewhat prone to an overflow of nervous energy, and as someone who loves to read, write and study. It probably also helps that I have a Gemini moon. These are qualities welded upon my very concept of self, and I have 'always' and 'naturally' been that way, according to me :D

While I have always been conscious of these qualities in myself, it took me a while to put myself in context. By coming to know other people more deeply, I realised that not everybody operates like me. Infact the way I operate makes some people downright nervous. So, while I could have told you I was "smart" at five years old, I couldn't have told you that I was more concerned with my homework than other kids, or keener to stand out as a student. Conscious, but not self-conscious?

The next tightest aspect that I have is a Venus(Aquarius) - Jupiter(Scorpio) square, just over 1 degree orb. This one is different in that I have not always consciously identified with the qualities of either planet. As a child I probably behaved more like the Scorpio Jupiter in my fourth house. As a teenager I quickly became a lot more like the Aquarian Venus in my seventh house. In the last few years I was powerfully reminded of the other part of my square again by being attracted to someone who behaves quite a lot like a fourth house Jupiter in Scorpio. So, it has taken until now to really recognise the play between the two of them, and call both dynamics mine. Of course, coming to study astrology has helped in bringing these unconscious dynamics forward into my mind (where I can then overanalyse them, ho ho!)

So, both aspects are relatively tight. One has always been a "conscious" part of my life and personality because it is welded onto my Sun, the centre of consciousness. Infact I took it so for granted that I had to learn that not everybody was the same. The other has become consciously mine only through dynamics with other people (and through reading astrological advice that at first I would have denied point blank, but which slowly seeped in as I started to recognise things in my own behaviour :p)

Last edited:

astro.teacher

My tightest aspect is a Sun/Mercury conjunction in Sagittarius, just less than three minutes apart.
Congratulations! You have a Cazimi, the most powerful, fortunate and important aspects with the Sun you can have. Any Planet that is within the Suns orb in conjunction of 0-13 minutes is in Cazimi with the Sun. The Planet avoids combustion and therefore only receives the benevolence from the Sun. The House placement will tell you more.

Antiquus Astrologia

Last edited:

Howl

Congratulations! You have a Cazimi, the most powerful, fortunate and important aspects with the Sun you can have.
Why thankyou! Sagittarius is not the easiest sign for my mercury to find itself, so cazimi rather than combust is a blessing.

Sun and Mercury are in house 6, sharing with Neptune, which is almost exaclty 6 degrees away. Just curiously, would you consider this as Neptune combust? I've always thought that the orb for "combust" was smaller.

astro.teacher

Sagittarius is not the easiest sign for my mercury to find itself, so cazimi rather than combust is a blessing.
The Sun has a Triplicity in your chart if your chart is a Diurnal one. Which is 3 points. So thats a positive as well.

Just curiously, would you consider this as Neptune combust? I've always thought that the orb for "combust" was smaller.
Personally, I dont like to consider the outer Planets (beyond Saturn) in my calculations simply because they are usually always psychology based (where I prefer practical interpretations "You will be rich!" is far better than "You are a dreamy hippy"). But the Orbs of combustion are 17.30' degrees in total and divided by 2 for either side I believe.

Antiquus Astrologia

Last edited:

overthetop10

astro.teacher said:
Remember, while the Ascendant MAY describe the whole body generally, the first House represents the Head of the individual. Your thickness may come across somehow in your face (lips, eyebrows, nose) or even just your hair.
Ha, wow, I do actually have remarkably thick eyebrows, lips, and hair. That's a powerful insight.

Any ideas about that Yod on my Descendant? Chiron and Lilith are related, somehow, but I can't figure it out...

astro.teacher

Descendant = Marriages, contracts, public enemies. I do not use Chiron or Lilith so I cannot give you an accurate assessment of that. However I believe if your read here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lilith_%28hypothetical_moon%29
it will explain Liliths role in Astrology for you enough to interpret that. Chiron usually rules over healing in some way but that too is a pretty merky area.

Personally, I wouldnt look too far into it. Your chart tells you more than you need to know, the better you can understand the basics the more details will be revealed! All of these asteroids and hypothetical points (even the outer Planets!) were introduced into Astrology so people could keep interpreting when they believed they were "finished" with the basics. The basics tell you everything you need to know, you dont need to fool around with all the other stuff looking for deeper meanings. Sorry I cant be of much more help!

Antiquus Astrologia

Last edited:

Lissa

Howl,

Very intersting to read your experiences with the most exact aspect in your chart!

I started this thread because the most exact aspect in my chart is a Jupiter(3º50'Leo,Retrograde,in the7th house)-Saturn(3º58'Aquarius,1st house)opposition:eek: which,as you can see,has a 0º08'orb:)eek: :eek: :eek: )!!!This aspect got me trigered because I don't see any manifestation of it's power in my life.Being the orb so tight and,with all I read about how problematic a Jupiter-Saturn opposition can be(since the two 'giants' are involved),I would be expect it to be incredibly dramatic and have a deep,powerful meaningful in my life,but it doesn't.In fact,Astro.Teacher gave me some help trying to understand this aspect-it might only express it's energy later on in my life.In fact,I'm starting to think this aspect might be neutral,since it makes part of a wedge with trines/sextiles to the Moon-Mercury conjunction in Aries(5ºand9º,respectively)and two mutual receptions(Jupiter and the Sun in Pisces,Saturn and Uranus in Capricorn)are also involved.

All the other aspects in my chart have wider orbs.I only have two other aspects with a less than1ºorb,which are the Sun(26º00'Pisces)sextile North Node(26º15'Capricorn,and the aspect has a0º15'orb)and the Jupiter quincunx Ascendant(4º12'Capricorn,0º22'orb).All the things Howl and Astro.Teacher said-they all made me reflect about my Sun sextile North Node and the Jupiter inconjunct Ascendant.Some things felt just so clear..As you all know,everything that sextiles the North Node trines the South Node;I always saw trines as representing an easier flow of energy than the sextiles,that demand some effort from us to start working.I see trines as two best friends who live near each other,spend lots of time together and are in the same class-they get along well and it's clear for everyone they really care for one another.I see sextiles as classmates who don't have such as strong,intimate bond-but,once the teacher tells them to work together on a project,they realise they're wonderful team colleagues.It made me realise how deeply (and uncousciously)attached to my Cancer South Node I've been.I don't have many Cancer energies in the chart-just Chiron and the South Node,which both fall right on my7th house...My North Node always got me trigered-a Capricorn North Node in the1st house is about being emotionaly independent and self-reliant.My Moon,Mercury and Venus are in Aries(with Venus squaring the Nodes with a1ºorb),so emotionaly independence doesn't feel like something I need to work on.But the Chiron/South Node conjunction manifests itself in my relationships.I sound so cheerful and enthusiastic that boys usually like me,than they start getting closer,I start having feelings for them and start making heavy emotional demands on them and so everything is ruined-neediness is not something boys like(which may explain why I'm15and only had one boyfriend so far:p LOL).Awareness of what's wrong is the1st step-I guess that when I start working towards my North Node this kind of problems will go away.

Thanks for all your inputs
Lissa

Last edited:
Hello peeps...

I believe any tight orbs that are 0.0 - 2.0 concerning the midheaven and ascendent can be clearly defined in your life like those that are very tight degrees of 0.1 between planets. My reason for this is because I have this one aspect with my midheaven that I always recognise coming out of me

Mars opposition Midheaven - 1.2 orb. My mars is in its fall (cancer) in the third house and midheaven in Capricorn. I find myself highly emotionally competitive when people overlook me, or consider themselves better in some way then I. It is a i'm-going-to-prove-them-wrong aspect with unyielding ambition (perhaps it is partly linked to a mars trine pluto aspect I also have, or my aries ascendant). It is a an aspect I consider that means the person may often fail or lose, but this failure is the engine to make the person attain victory in the end.

Mercury third house in gemini opposition Uranus in 9th house saggitarius - 1.3 orb. My idea of this one is that the person seeks interllectual knowledge which has a nonconformist flavour to it. Sometimes I can form stubborn views that I stand by, only to find myself changing them every so often when I discover it can be ridiculed in some way. Some subjects more than others. I believe it is an aspect that requires the person to really know their knowledge before they preach it, otherwise others will soon identify the weaknesses to their argument.

I have Jupiter (first house) conjunct my part of fortune in an 0.0 orb. No idea what this means, if anyone has an idea what this means, that would be great!

astro.teacher

I have Jupiter (first house) conjunct my part of fortune in an 0.0 orb. No idea what this means, if anyone has an idea what this means, that would be great!

Jupiter has both a Triplicity and a Term in Aries (assuming that its placed in Aries since that is your Ascendant). The Part of Fortune is like a second Jupiter, so joined together makes things very benevolent. Assuming Mars is conjunct your IC(4th House) and weak, therefore the POF is also weak being its dispositor. However with the conjunction of Jupiter, it "rescues" it from misfortune. As for its interpretation, the Ascendant and first House rules over the body and life of the individual. Jupiter in the first gives a long and very prosperous life, a strong body and quite handsome, somewhat larger. Hope that answers your question!

astro.teacher

Since your Mars is conjunct with your I.C. I would suggest looking at the areas of your life this effects the most (everything to do with your 3rd and 4th Houses) and then mapping out solutions to difficulties. Makes life a lot easier when we know the problems before they happen!

wintersprite1

Premium Member
My most exact aspect is my Mars conjunct Mercury in the 12th (Capricorn). It is 0.04 degree apart and off the Asc by about 3 degrees. I find I can effortlessly see others and my own motives clearly. It also shows in that I can not stand to have a puzzle unsolved. Once settling my mind on something, I tend to be unstoppable. In my youth, it showed as impulsive arguments and biting remarks.

Every planet and major possition (mc,dc,ic,asc) is aspected with close orbs. The most distant being the 4 degree Uranus and Pluto conjunct in the 8th(virgo). I have The Sun in 12th (Cap) opposed Moon in 6th (Cancer) with a difference of 1.28 degrees. BTW... I read where oppositions are suppose to be "bad". Sorry, I don't see it that way or live it that way. They can be like living on constantly moving and shifting flooring, but once you get your sea legs.. they are awesome! The Sun and Moon do have a T-square to Jupiter in the 2nd (Aries) the furthest poin being 3.30 degrees. Neptune is conjunct my MC (9th in Scorpio) at a difference of 0.16 degrees with Saturn square the 1st in Aqua at 2.14 degrees .... no wonder a career choice has been elusive....lol.

That leaves poor stand alone Venus in the 1st in Aqua... but someone recently pointed out to me 2 tight yods, both involving Venus as the center point and as an anchor.

I don't know what all this "exactness" does or nessessarily play out, but I did find it odd. :60:

TK

astro.teacher said:
Since your Mars is conjunct with your I.C. I would suggest looking at the areas of your life this effects the most (everything to do with your 3rd and 4th Houses) and then mapping out solutions to difficulties. Makes life a lot easier when we know the problems before they happen!

You wouldn't happen to know what kind of difficulties one may encounter? mars is in a tight orb conjunct i.c. so the opposition to midheaven is strong, along with an opposition to neptune in a 1.3 orb (neptune being conjunct midheaven and probably the reason i'm so fascinated by astrology). Mars is definitely in the third house however. And on top of this negative aspect Mars is in its fall (cancer).

I have Jupiter (first house/aries) in trine with Saturn (9th house/sag), an orb of 1.3. I've found that this aspect usually means I like to adopt the philosphies i've learnt and theories studied into who I am and ultimately try to integrate the teachings awareness into my life. I believe it also means one can work very hard if focusing their attention in order to grow as an individual, rewards must be earnt through hard work, and hard successful work is usually achieved.

astro.teacher

Expect problems with regards to siblings and your father. Look to all the significations of the 3rd and 4th House. They will also tend to conflict with your choice of career or public as well (being opposed to the MC). I dont follow the outer planets (simply because I have no real use for them as everything is explained by the inner planets perfectly).

You may also want to check out if Mars is completely debilitated. Check out some Tables of Dignities and Debilities to determine the strength of Mars. One bad debility does not mean it is completely helpless.