Astrologers' Community

Astrologers' Community (https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/index.php)
-   Chat (https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Random Thoughts, strictly Text (https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=124143)

david starling 01-30-2019 04:17 AM

Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
No pictures or graphics allowed. Feel free to express your thoughts in words, without images or pictures. If you have pictures, graphs, charts, music, or even memes you'd like to share, post a link. Keep the text size to size 2, and use caps or italics if you need to emphasize. No text art, or gibberish text art.

conspiracy theorist 01-30-2019 04:18 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Third's the charm.

conspiracy theorist 01-30-2019 04:20 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Memes are too amorphously defined anyway for you to really have any ability to limit their usage. It reminds me of that instance of some government official having no actual definition for **** but that, "He knows it when he sees it." I think you're working in a similar grey area with memes, and grey areas are where loophole masters reign.

david starling 01-30-2019 04:32 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist (Post 947432)
Memes are too amorphously defined anyway for you to really have any ability to limit their usage. It reminds me of that instance of some government official having no actual definition for **** but that, "He knows it when he sees it." I think you're working in a similar grey area with memes, and grey areas are where loophole masters reign.

The :devil: is in the details.

GemwDepth 01-30-2019 04:32 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Yay new Ship! Funny how every new ship there is or will be, becomes popular quickly! :cool: Then the mini-me follows cuz they aren't got no life or parties of their own. :tongue:

david starling 01-30-2019 04:44 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Are you thinkin bout what you're thinkin bout what I'm thinkin bout what you're thinkin?

conspiracy theorist 01-30-2019 04:44 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
I used to be around the epicenter of where a lot of the memes originated and oftentimes, subversion was the name of the game. The analogy that has been used is that memes act as "cultural genes". Infection and seeding of mental influence.

Knowing the people on this forum, you've already lost if you're trying to "grip" memes.

Since we're on the topic, here is a book on memes that anyone who is interested can take a look at.

https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/Sus...emeMachine.pdf

conspiracy theorist 01-30-2019 05:03 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
https://i.warosu.org/data/biz/img/00...0155094335.png

This is a meme. Does this elicit a humorous response and/or educates you about something?

david starling 01-30-2019 05:08 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist (Post 947440)
I used to be around the epicenter of where a lot of the memes originated and oftentimes, subversion was the name of the game. The analogy that has been used is that memes act as "cultural genes". Infection and seeding of mental influence.

Knowing the people on this forum, you've already lost if you're trying to "grip" memes.

Since we're on the topic, here is a book on memes that anyone who is interested can take a look at.

https://terebess.hu/zen/mesterek/Sus...emeMachine.pdf

How did they end up being called "memes"? Sounds like the " Me Generation" x2.

Gemini888 01-30-2019 05:10 AM

Luckily I'm not abandoned :)

Gemini888 01-30-2019 05:12 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
I'm just bored because I have no one to talk to :tongue:. I'm busy preparing my next blog post now.

GemwDepth 01-30-2019 05:13 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 947439)
Are you thinkin bout what you're thinkin bout what I'm thinkin bout what you're thinkin?

I think I can't think anymore with the over-thinkin. I think my thinkin brain just exploded with thinkin :biggrin:

Gemini888 01-30-2019 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GemwDepth (Post 947438)
Yay new Ship! Funny how every new ship there is or will be, becomes popular quickly! :cool: Then the mini-me follows cuz they aren't got no life or parties of their own. :tongue:

I'm still waiting for Witchy and Stars to see this.

GemwDepth 01-30-2019 05:17 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
May have to give them a nudge. Or astro poke! Or some Scorpio stings.

david starling 01-30-2019 05:17 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist (Post 947444)
https://i.warosu.org/data/biz/img/00...0155094335.png

This is a meme. Does this elicit a humorous response and/or educates you about something?

The green sphere has about as much of a chance of squeezing through that ring as a rich man has of getting into heaven. It's a parable.

GemwDepth 01-30-2019 05:18 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
It looks like a fashion polka dot to me~

Gemini888 01-30-2019 05:20 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Gemw, look like a thread for your popcorn 🍿🍿🍿

conspiracy theorist 01-30-2019 05:21 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 947446)
How did they end up being called "memes"? Sounds like the " Me Generation" x2.

The word was first coined in 1976. A definition that captures it's essence better than the attempts that I've seen recently on the forum is, " An element of a culture that may be considered to be passed on by non-genetic means esp. imitation."

The book was written in the late 90s. The author speaks about newsgroup taking shop by the name "alt.memetics". Online articles showing up during that time include 'The New Meme', 'Meme, Counter-meme', 'Memetics: a system of metabiology', 'Memes, metamemes and politics', and 'Cryonics, religions and memes' to list a few.

There's a modern day group of persons who speak about memes in the same way that I'd imagine that these groups did. It's on a fringe website and the group is referred to as the "bureau of memetic warfare"

Memes didn't just crop up in 2010.

GemwDepth 01-30-2019 05:21 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini888 (Post 947458)
Gemw, look like a thread for your popcorn

Yay! Let's all celebrate! End of another episode! I am sleepy again.

david starling 01-30-2019 05:25 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GemwDepth (Post 947454)
May have to give them a nudge. Or astro poke! Or some Scorpio stings.

Or a polka!

conspiracy theorist 01-30-2019 05:27 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 947455)
The green sphere has about as much of a chance of squeezing through that ring as a rich man has of getting into heaven. It's a parable.

It's supposedly an 'oathbreaking' meme. Meaning, "Everytime you see this image your oaths are broken." I've only ever seen it used in trolling contexts and it always seem to elicit anger. Or faux anger.

david starling 01-30-2019 05:35 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist (Post 947462)
It's supposedly an 'oathbreaking' meme. Meaning, "Everytime you see this image your oaths are broken." I've only ever seen it used in trolling contexts and it always seem to elicit anger. Or faux anger.

The "Warlock Meme"!

david starling 01-30-2019 05:38 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
J.R. Toking, "Lord of the Smoke Rings"!

david starling 01-30-2019 05:41 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
What U.S. professional sport is most popular in Jamaica? If any.

conspiracy theorist 01-30-2019 05:45 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Basketball but it's low on the totem pole. Football (soccer), track and field, netball and cricket top it.

I almost forgot boxing. That's pretty high in popularity down here as well.

conspiracy theorist 01-30-2019 05:48 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Water polo, lacrosse, street hockey and surfing are extremely fringe but you have pockets of the population that do them.

david starling 01-30-2019 05:53 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GemwDepth (Post 947473)
I just ate a cheese sandwich. I feel gross. :sick:

Too late now!

GemwDepth 01-30-2019 05:56 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
I am feeling the beginning of heart burn. No more cheese for me, ever! :pinched::sad:

david starling 01-30-2019 06:17 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GemwDepth (Post 947479)
Did you see my text art message?

Yes. A fun feeling about it. Turnabout--text used for art, instead of meme-art used in place of text.

GemwDepth 01-30-2019 06:19 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Heading to bed. Ttyl. I hope I don't dream bout cheese. Yuck! :surprised:

david starling 01-30-2019 06:26 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by conspiracy theorist (Post 947469)
Basketball but it's low on the totem pole. Football (soccer), track and field, netball and cricket top it.

I almost forgot boxing. That's pretty high in popularity down here as well.

Seems like the entire world except for the U.S. (not counting recent immigrants), is crazy about what we call soccer. Pakistan loves cricket.

Gemini888 01-30-2019 08:02 AM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by GemwDepth (Post 947460)
Yay! Let's all celebrate! End of another episode! I am sleepy again.

I was about to add cheese when I saw your post. I love cheese :crying:

david starling 01-30-2019 12:50 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
In 12/12, the Ascendant is a Sign-ruler, and can be used in Aspects. Which means an Ascendant Return every day. Just find out where it's transiting your Natal-chart in the location you're CURRENTLY living, and you'll know when it happens. Same goes for the M.C.

Witchyone 01-30-2019 01:59 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 947465)
J.R. Toking, "Lord of the Smoke Rings"!

One toke to meme them all.

This thread is cheesy. :love:

Gemini888 01-30-2019 02:16 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
@Stars are you critical of yourself? Just wondering because you are a Virgo. I'm a Virgo Mars and I feel the fangs of my inner critis now and again. And the feeling just *****.



Well I'm just rambling because I'm writing my next blog post and my inner critic is screaming "who the hell will read this? Why bothers"

david starling 01-30-2019 02:20 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini888 (Post 947550)
@Stars are you critical of yourself? Just wondering because you are a Virgo. I'm a Virgo Mars and I feel the fangs of my inner critis now and again. And the feeling just *****.



Well I'm just rambling because I'm writing my next blog post and my inner critic is screaming "who the hell will read this? Why bothers"

Virgo Mars may involve stomach problems. So, as a Benefactor, it can have a bad side effect. :sad:

david starling 01-30-2019 02:24 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini888 (Post 947550)
@Stars are you critical of yourself? Just wondering because you are a Virgo. I'm a Virgo Mars and I feel the fangs of my inner critis now and again. And the feeling just *****.



Well I'm just rambling because I'm writing my next blog post and my inner critic is screaming "who the hell will read this? Why bothers"

Could you post the link to your blog each time there's a new one? Thanks!

Witchyone 01-30-2019 02:37 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini888 (Post 947550)
@Stars are you critical of yourself? Just wondering because you are a Virgo. I'm a Virgo Mars and I feel the fangs of my inner critis now and again. And the feeling just *****.



Well I'm just rambling because I'm writing my next blog post and my inner critic is screaming "who the hell will read this? Why bothers"

Well, I will, for one. If I've seen the movie, I'll even read the whole thing. lol

Once you get more content, you can start promoting your blog and worrying about who your audience could be. "If you write it, they will come."

And now I'm wondering why I never take my own advice. :pinched:

Gemini888 01-30-2019 02:47 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 947552)
Could you post the link to your blog each time there's a new one? Thanks!

My worst fear is to become an advertising wh*re. Yeah, I want people to know about it, but at the same time I fear I will go overboard and turn into a spamming monster :crying: But now that you are ok with me posting the link whenever I finish a post... Thanks so much :biggrin::love:

Starsareround 01-30-2019 02:57 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gemini888 (Post 947550)
@Stars are you critical of yourself? Just wondering because you are a Virgo. I'm a Virgo Mars and I feel the fangs of my inner critis now and again. And the feeling just *****.



Well I'm just rambling because I'm writing my next blog post and my inner critic is screaming "who the hell will read this? Why bothers"


I actually think I could stand to be more critical of myself. I'm a pretty indulgent person, of both myself and others. I'm a weird Virgo. I could also stand to be much tidier. My lab and my desk are a riot of frames and paperwork and charts about to collapse.

Gemini888 01-30-2019 03:20 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsareround (Post 947562)
I actually think I could stand to be more critical of myself. I'm a pretty indulgent person, of both myself and others. I'm a weird Virgo. I could also stand to be much tidier. My lab and my desk are a riot of frames and paperwork and charts about to collapse.

I think it's because of your heavy Leo placement :tongue: One of my coworker is a Virgo and she's one the most relaxed people I've ever seen. She doesn't care much for the small stuff.


So in turn guess I'm a weird Gemini?

Starsareround 01-30-2019 03:23 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
I think it's a great quality you have. It presses you on to work harder, be better. I am just really satisfied with myself (like a big cat lol) I only work hard because I need projects and mental stimulation but not because I'm admirably hard working.

Witchyone 01-30-2019 04:10 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsareround (Post 947562)
I actually think I could stand to be more critical of myself. I'm a pretty indulgent person, of both myself and others. I'm a weird Virgo. I could also stand to be much tidier. My lab and my desk are a riot of frames and paperwork and charts about to collapse.

What house is your sun in? Is that your only Virgo placement?

That state you described is very familiar. I think I was like that most of the time before my midlife undoing. Saturn went through my 7th house with a baseball bat and muddy shoes.

Starsareround 01-30-2019 04:14 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Witchyone (Post 947583)
What house is your sun in? Is that your only Virgo placement?

That state you described is very familiar. I think I was like that most of the time before my midlife undoing. Saturn went through my 7th house with a baseball bat and muddy shoes.


Ha, love that..."baseball bat and muddy shoes" nice imagery.


I have both Sun and Merc in Virgo, both in H1, Merc conjunct my ASC (oh yeah, hi, my ASC is also in Virgo haha). I really should be a better Virgo.

Witchyone 01-30-2019 04:26 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsareround (Post 947585)
Ha, love that..."baseball bat and muddy shoes" nice imagery.


I have both Sun and Merc in Virgo, both in H1, Merc conjunct my ASC (oh yeah, hi, my ASC is also in Virgo haha). I really should be a better Virgo.

I know several Virgos who are not particularly clean or persnickety. There's one, though...OMG, when you go to her house, she follows you around cleaning up after you. I tried to help one time by taking the glass I used into the kitchen and leaving it in the sink as soon as it was empty. She went to the kitchen and washed it right away. :lol:

Speaking of Virgos, did you know that Nick Cave is one? I saw you posted a song from Murder Ballads. I love that album.

Starsareround 01-30-2019 04:34 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Witchyone (Post 947586)
I know several Virgos who are not particularly clean or persnickety. There's one, though...OMG, when you go to her house, she follows you around cleaning up after you. I tried to help one time by taking the glass I used into the kitchen and leaving it in the sink as soon as it was empty. She went to the kitchen and washed it right away. :lol:

Speaking of Virgos, did you know that Nick Cave is one? I saw you posted a song from Murder Ballads. I love that album.




One of my best friends who is a Cancer Sun/ Aqua Moon is very tidy and when we first started hanging out I noticed that she would re-wash dishes that I would wash after we would eat at her house. She actually re-cleans after everyone. I gave up "helping" even though it felt wrong to not pitch in when she hosted when I realized I was just unwittingly making more work for her lol. She's awesome.



Nick Cave. Yeah, he's great. When I lived in Brighton, UK, I lived in his neighborhood and I would see him in cafes sometimes. He's very striking, impossible not to notice him.

Witchyone 01-30-2019 04:40 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Starsareround (Post 947587)
One of my best friends who is a Cancer Sun/ Aqua Moon is very tidy and when we first started hanging out I noticed that she would re-wash dishes that I would wash after we would eat at her house. She actually re-cleans after everyone. I gave up "helping" even though it felt wrong to not pitch in when she hosted when I realized I was just unwittingly making more work for her lol. She's awesome.



Nick Cave. Yeah, he's great. When I lived in Brighton, UK, I lived in his neighborhood and I would see him in cafes sometimes. He's very striking, impossible not to notice him.

!!

Was he writing?

Starsareround 01-30-2019 04:45 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Okay, here's the thing: NO. I'm pretty sure he was people watching. He was always alone, and kind of wrapped up in his thoughts, doing nothing.

Witchyone 01-30-2019 04:47 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
That's hot.

Starsareround 01-30-2019 04:49 PM

Re: Random Thoughts, strictly Text
 
Indeed.


....


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:39 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005-2018, AstrologyWeekly.com. Boards' structure and all posts are property of AstrologyWeekly.com and their respective creators. No part of the messages sent on these boards may be copied without their owners' explicit consent.