Astrologers' Community

Astrologers' Community (https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hot topic arena (https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   List of Erroneous, Illogical and Fictitious Systems in Astrology (https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=125407)

david starling 06-21-2019 09:46 PM

Re: List of Erroneous, Illogical and Fictitious Systems in Astrology

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUPITERASC (Post 980284)

They carbon-dated the material the Sphinx was fashioned from. If you use ancient stone to build your fireplace, does that make it an ancient fireplace, built by ancients? :biggrin:

david starling 06-21-2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUPITERASC (Post 980287)

There are Egyptian records concerning the building. But, hey, why not say they were built by ETs or Atlantians? Way more esoteric, right!? :whistling:

Opal 06-21-2019 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 980278)
Even if the ancient Egyptians didn't build the pyamids, they definitely claimed them. And there is actual evidence they were the builders. Also, had they been built so much earlier, they would have been so deeply buried in sand, no one would have found them, or even known about them. They were actually completely buried by the 19th Century A.D., but the tip of the Great Pyramid wasn't yet too deep underneath the surface. It was an astounding discovery at the time, and was all about Egypt, burial chambers and hieroglyphics. Why discredit the ancient Egyptians using such flimsy, fanciful theories?

Ancient Egyptian is a pretty broad term. What is ancient? Yes, they were buried. Yes, they are known to have water surrounding them. As for flimsy, fanciful theories it could be the erroneous theory of the early excavators and learned people of the time that made them.

I think that the Sphinx was probably constructed in an Age of Leo, I am not convinced that it was built in the last one though. I don't know how many times the ages could have gone around since their original builders made them.

Ancient Egyptian could be over 2,000,000 years ago.:sideways::lol:

Opal 06-21-2019 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 980294)
There are Egyptian records concerning the building. But, hey, why not say they were built by ETs or Atlantians? Way more esoteric, right!? :whistling:

Well, we are probably the ET's, and the Atlantian's were an advanced society, but they were probably South American.

Atl - water
Antis - land

http://www.atlantisbolivia.org/atlantisboliviapart3.htm

http://atlantipedia.ie/samples/tag/lake-titicaca/

Opal 06-21-2019 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 980292)
They carbon-dated the material the Sphinx was fashioned from. If you use ancient stone to build your fireplace, does that make it an ancient fireplace, built by ancients? :biggrin:

Carbon dating is not accurate.

david starling 06-21-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opal (Post 980298)
Carbon dating is not accurate.

That's how they determined the age of the Sphinx material as being far older than the Egyptian civilization. So, maybe they got that wrong.

david starling 06-21-2019 10:25 PM

Okay, I'm going with modern archeologists and their hard evidence. The one thing modern science is good for is studying the material world.

Opal 06-21-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 980299)
That's how they determined the age of the Sphinx material as being far older than the Egyptian civilization. So, maybe they got that wrong.

Yes, maybe they did. If the sphinx was surrounded by water, when would it have been?

Alberta Canada used to be an ocean bed. Now it is at a high elevation, but the remnants of shells and fossils are still found in the waterbeds and in the soil.

It is also home to Drumheller, and the dinosaur fossils.

Again, I am going to Burgoynes's theory of the shifting of the path of the sun 1 degree every 7200 years. For a full 360 degree shift it would take 2,592,000 years for the path of the sun to be the same as it is today.

Myth, is not necessarily of the narrow bounds that scholars have set it to. As old as the Ages.....could be very, very old.

david starling 06-21-2019 10:32 PM

The tropical Ages explain the mundane world, whereas the sidereal Ages are spiritually attuned. The Gnostics were correct in maintaining that we're trapped in a materialistic version of "Reality", and the tropical Age of Capricorn is the reason for that. The Aquarian Age is the way out of this confusion--the Age of Knowledge, not limited to the material plane.

david starling 06-21-2019 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opal (Post 980302)
Yes, maybe they did. If the sphinx was surrounded by water, when would it have been?

Alberta Canada used to be an ocean bed. Now it is at a high elevation, but the remnants of shells and fossils are still found in the waterbeds and in the soil.

Again, I am going to Burgoynes's theory of the shifting of the path of the sun 1 degree every 7200 years. For a full 360 degree shift it would take 2,592,000 years for the path of the sun to be the same as it is today.

Myth, is not necessarily of the narrow bounds that scholars have set it to. As old as the Ages.....could be very, very old.

Burgoyne wasn't an astronomer. Turns out, the Earth's inclination is decreasing, not increasing.

Opal 06-21-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 980306)
Burgoyne wasn't an astronomer. Turns out, the Earth's inclination is decreasing, not increasing.

If it is, the theory is still the same. It would be my error, in considering that global warming was showing because of a 1 degree shift of the sun northward in the northern hemisphere would cause a warming of the poles. As in keeping with his theory.

We have accurate maps of land masses that have been buried in ice for ages:wink: where did we get them from? Copying copies of copies from where and when?

Opal 06-21-2019 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 980306)

I did not say he was an astronomer.

david starling 06-22-2019 06:00 AM

Opal, have you read Immanuel Velikovsky's book "Worlds in Collision"? If not, I think you might enjoy it. Caused quite a stir in the 1950's.

Opal 06-22-2019 06:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 980363)
Opal, have you read Immanuel Velikovski's book "Worlds in Collision"? If not, I think you might enjoy it. Caused quite a stir in the 1950's.

No I haven't, I have never heard of it or him. Why do you think I would enjoy it?

I will keep my eyes open for it.

Opal 06-22-2019 06:17 AM

I just read a summary, you are correct, I would probably enjoy this. I checked at abebooks.com I will order it. Thank you David!

greybeard 06-22-2019 01:37 PM

Velikovsky was convicted of fraud. He was a con man.

david starling 06-22-2019 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greybeard (Post 980429)

It's a great read though. With a lot of Biblical connections included. Very imaginative!

Opal 06-22-2019 02:28 PM

He was convicted by the FDA

What was he selling?

JUPITERASC 06-22-2019 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 980300)

Okay, I'm going with modern archeologists and their hard evidence.
The one thing modern science is good for is studying the material world.

Siriusly :smile:
New research shows, that
some estimates based on carbon may have erred by thousands of years.
Since the rate of depletion has been accurately determined
half of any given amount of carbon 14 decays in 5,730 years
scientists can calculate the time elapsed since something died from its residual carbon 14.

ERRORS ARE FEARED IN CARBON DATING https://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/31/u...on-dating.html

JUPITERASC 06-22-2019 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opal (Post 980369)

I just read a summary, you are correct, I would probably enjoy this.
I checked at abebooks.com I will order it. Thank you David!

Immanuel Velikovsky bestseller Worlds in Collision :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsRQVXnsqCk

Opal 06-23-2019 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUPITERASC (Post 980500)
Siriusly :smile:
New research shows, that
some estimates based on carbon may have erred by thousands of years.
Since the rate of depletion has been accurately determined
half of any given amount of carbon 14 decays in 5,730 years
scientists can calculate the time elapsed since something died from its residual carbon 14.

ERRORS ARE FEARED IN CARBON DATING https://www.nytimes.com/1990/05/31/u...on-dating.html

😄 I agree with this too! 😄😄😄

Opal 06-23-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JUPITERASC (Post 980501)
Immanuel Velikovsky bestseller Worlds in Collision :smile:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsRQVXnsqCk

Thank you JupiterAsc! I will watch this later.

Opal 06-23-2019 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david starling (Post 980435)
It's a great read though. With a lot of Biblical connections included. Very imaginative!

I will read it regardless, I always draw my own conclusions.

Thanks to both David and Greybeard!

rahu 06-24-2019 12:49 AM

Quote:

you are troll and a liar. you are factually wrong.you are either ignorant or a cultural troll
velikovsky was the first choice to be the president of Hebrew university at it's inception..n but he declined. he was personal friends with Einstein. so stop the NWO propaganda.

https://www.astrologyweekly.com/foru...d.php?t=104209
Immanuel Velikovsky

david starling 06-24-2019 09:22 PM

Quote:

I can't find any reference to a Velikovsky fraud conviction.