Your Mercury and Your Learning Style

Effie

In this case, we are analyzing how two planets, Mercury and Jupiter, may connect and what could be the results for learning or anything else that may be the product of the connection of these two planets. In your case, it is Mercury and Jupiter; in my case (as I mentioned above) is Mercury and Chrion; in the case of another person, it is Mercury and Sun (hence, combustion, etc).

Any good astrologer, after learning the introductory stuff, must learn how to analyze planet qualities, attributes and activity, and how it may or may not affect each individual in combination with other planets' influence because in many charts, many planets tend to combine forces and give different characteristics to each individual or bring different results and events in their lives as a result. Otherwise, we would just need our sun sign to make an analysis, and we wouldn't have to learn about all the different planets, houses, detriment-exaltation, conjunctions-sextiles-squares-oppositions, etc.

In all schools and in all fields, if you are not able to think with correlations and think analytically, you cannot go very far. Astrology is an interdisciplinary subject with highly interconnected parameters, and you can never analyze one planet or subject in isolation, but you must be always able to make the appropriate correlations and analytical thought processes in order to see the whole picture (in this case, each chart since Mercury acts differently in each individual's chart because the planet, in most cases, correlates with other planets and aspects other planets that may enhance or limit its influence).

Best,
Effie.

[deleted off-topic comments - Moderator]

Last edited by a moderator:

natasa812

[deleted non-astrological explanation about thread posting. Not necessary since thread was accepted. - Moderator]

natasa812

[deleted non-astrological explanation about thread posting. Not necessary since thread was accepted. - Moderator]

Effie

natasa812

Thank you for your reply Olivia.
I think that your learning style would be quick (according to that sextile with Mars), but the trine is much stronger as an aspect since we interpret the sextile only as an opportunity. So, the grand trine with Saturn wins...
As far for the conbustion, my (off topic) question was is the combustion less then 3 degrees still combustion or is it something else. Because whan we talk about combustion we talk about: from 3 to 8 degrees. And what about below 3 degrees?
And to answer to Effie`s question, my Mercury is in 10th (together with Jupiter, Sun and Neptune) in Sagittarius. In conj. with MC as also as Jupiter and Sun. Neptune is ``just there`` - no conj. with MC.
Best r
Natasa

natasa812

So, if my learning style is in the way it is with my Mercury in Sag. in 10th, and Mercury is in conj. with Jupiter who is in combust, than I don`t have all that luck from Jupiter. It makes his positive contribution to the Mercury acctualy useless.
And yes, of course, we have to use our Mercury to show us the corect learning style so that we can learn to communicate corectly...
Thank you
Best regards
Natasa

danieycc

I've never thought about it but I have Mercury in Libra in the 7th.

I really do well with one on one individual help. I like having a conversation with someone, and being able to ask a question as soon as one comes up.

My mercury is also square neptune, and I find I learn very well through film or documentary type educational stuff. I like the real images, narration, and sound all combined.

And sometimes I have to draw out a diagram to understand something better. And I definitely make tons of lists (hahaa very mercury square neptune )

gaer

AQ7,

AQ7 said:
Merc in the 6th gives me an analytical mind, I need to understand things and have always been a poor parrot-learner, perhaps one of the reasons I was never that good at social sciences (except Geography) at school.
What do you think points to both being good at and enjoying rote learning? I've already stated that I hate it. Einstein is the most "Arian" Pisces Sun person I've ever seen, with only Sun in Pisces but three planets in Aries, Mercury, Venus and Saturn. But his Merc is conjunct Saturn and inconjunct Uranus, which someone seems fitting. He too loathed any kind of rote learning.

So is this dislike of pointless memorization of facts something that is common in people who are highly intelligent and who dislike following any kind of rules without a good reason? I would suspect a good bit of versatility with Mercury in Aquarius, as always with the caution of looking at the whole chart. :)

RayAustin said:
Really? I don't know about the slow part, but I also think I *retain* lots of things... that interests me anyway. :) I feel I learn very fast. I just think it really comes from wanting to know so much. "I win in any situation that requires planning and depth of knowledge." hehe.. I agree.

I was afraid I would miscommunicate when I used the words "slow learner". Let me try to word things more precisely. For me it's as if the people who cram and excel in a "trivial pursuit" sort of way appear to start off ahead of me, because they begin with superficialities. A well-aspected and well-placed Mercury in Scorpio will hate anything superficial. I absorb broad principles and basic concepts *first*, then the details suddenly take care of themselves. In this area, getting a deep grasp of a subject, seeing the "big picture", I am very fast. My friends and family see the result. They don't see the process. I feel the process.

Here is an example: if you mention any year in the 20th or 21st centuries, I will immediately tell you who the president was. But it has nothing to do with memorizing dates and names in a list, the way we were expected to do it in school. If you mention the 1920s, I link to "The Roaring 20s", and that means what happened between the end of WWI (1918) and the Spanish Flu (worse epidemic in modern history which killed more people than WWI), and then it leads up and throught the terrible stock market crash, which links to what is happening right now. All these details and "broad strokes" are things I picked up on my own, from reading about and investigating world events, which ties in with astrology, which ties in with the major aspects of the outer planets. And so on. For me everything links.

When I go to learn anything new, it's as if I have a huge data bank to draw from to link the new things almost instantly. That appears very fast to other people, and it's more or less permanent because it all connects. I used the word "slow" because I like to "chew" each thing I learn, completely, to absorb it in a way that will always be there. That enables me to recall facts and ideas from decades ago, all the way back to public school, while most of my friends my age don't remember much of anything from that time period. :)

aquarius7000

gaer said:
What do you think points to both being good at and enjoying rote learning? I've already stated that I hate it. Einstein is the most "Arian" Pisces Sun person I've ever seen, with only Sun in Pisces but three planets in Aries, Mercury, Venus and Saturn. But his Merc is conjunct Saturn and inconjunct Uranus, which someone seems fitting. He too loathed any kind of rote learning.
Maybe the answer to your question is in your own text. From my side I will add.....a keen and interested mind with some good power of concentration makes a good learner of any method. Also, firstly, I was talking about my own Merc and mind in my previous post, and not about Einstein's. Secondly, nowhere did I mention in my previous post that learning by rote is for the less-intelligent. Intelligence is a very broad term. All I was talking about and most here on this thread are, is: method of learning and mind in relation to (their own) Merc placement and aspects....mostly giving their own examples.

So is this dislike of pointless memorization of facts something that is common in people who are highly intelligent and who dislike following any kind of rules without a good reason? I would suspect a good bit of versatility with Mercury in Aquarius, as always with the caution of looking at the whole chart. :)
See my second point above. The point that I was trying to make in my previous post was:
Merc in the 6th gives me an analytical mind, I need to understand things and have always been a poor parrot-learner..
Of course, you have to learn many things at school and later by rote method, and saying that one finds it hard to do so does not automatically imply that the native is intelligent.....at least not to my versatile Aquarian mind. Then again, considering the fact that I was a poor student of rote learning, maybe my mind is not that versatile.

:)aquarius7000

PS: Writing the above, I had to think of my ex-neighbour, who apparently thought that only doctors and engineers were the intelligent lot in the society as compared to those having studied the creative arts and the like. Anyways, must be off now.

gaer

aquarius7000 said:
Maybe the answer to your question is in your own text. From my side I will add.....a keen and interested mind with some good power of concentration makes a good learner of any method. Also, firstly, I was talking about my own Merc and mind in my previous post, and not about Einstein's.
Oops, I sense miscommunication here. Did I cause it? My wifi is totally gone at work, so I've been trying to comment a bit on things I save before work, then post them afterwards.
[/QUOTE]
So, where did I go wrong?

I have rx Merc in Aquarius (plus Ura in the 3rd, in a wide trine to the ruler of the 3rd, Venus) and I have an immense need for new input, delight in learning something new; though not in the IT field, yet have an affinity to it and participate in IT-related projects at work; am pretty inventive when it comes to coming up with solutions/new ideas.
Nothing here about rote-learning.
Merc in the 6th gives me an analytical mind, I need to understand things and have always been a poor parrot-learner, perhaps one of the reasons I was never that good at social sciences (except Geography) at school.
Here you talk about being a "poor parrot-learner". Arian talked about being a "good-parrot learner", I believe. I'm poor at it, but I know some people who are so good at picking up and repeating things, they will literally pick up a foreign language in almost zero time, as adults.
Secondly, nowhere did I mention in my previous post that learning by rote is for the less-intelligent. Intelligence is a very broad term. All I was talking about and most here on this thread are, is: method of learning and mind in relation to (their own) Merc placement and aspects....mostly giving their own examples.
Let me clarify my position. It is the pointless memorization of facts in a way that they are not retained that bothers many intelligent people. Perhaps you disagree. But it is the number one problem kids in school face, at least in the US, specifcally being forced to learn things just long enough to pass tests after which they have no idea what they once learned. I'd love to talk more about this, but it would need another topic and may not have a place in any astrology thread.

As for the rest, I was presenting my own feelings, based on *my* personality and focusing on my own chart. I assume that is what you were doing, and what other people were doing. Intelligence can't even be defined, and at most I believe in *intelligences*, meaning that there are countless ways to be intelligent. My own curiosity was involved in how Mercury and the signs it is in and the houses and the aspects all come together to show how we approch learning in a different way.

Apparently a lot of other people are interested in the same ideas, which is why this topic exploded in little more than 24 hours. ;)

Awakened_Pisces

I find that a problem(intelligently speaking). If we can't talk about the subject at hand but just the astrology, wouldn't that limit conversation :D.

From the Arian Mercury.

Neptune Rising

I know a guy with Mercury in Pisces (conjunct my Moon) and trine his Neptune. Mercury is in his 11th, Neptune in his 6th in Scorpio. He writes about music. I could just be biased but he wrote in a totally beautiful way, he can make whoever he is writing about sound like the most heavenly thing. He also reads about more Scorpionic things too, sexual and psychological.

I have Mercury in Aquaruis, conjunct Venus in my 2nd! These are trine Pluto in my 9th. This could be why I am constanly reading about and really delving deeply into spiritual things, I have an interest in understanding religion but I don't take it on myself. Loved algebra once i grasped it in maths, good with computers, I like poetry but more spiritual poetry writing and reading.

NR

Xibalba

Holistic Learning.

Holistic / global learning is what is being compared here. To sequential learning. Sequential learning is the one that benefits from rote memorization, sequence in the presentation of ideas and language study. It's probably the learning style of people who excelled in elementary/primary through high school/secondary. Global learning is "harder to map", but starts with a broad sense of knowledge, then moves down to smaller details, and also gives the learner an intuitive grasp of how this subject connects to completely unrelated things. It is always harder for global learners to grasp things the first time, since lectures usually present things as a pinprick of information, but in the long run (even after the course is over), the global learner may still be using various things within and outside the subject to connect things together.

I'm in engineering (so..not much use for the traditional Mercury in Pisces gifts), but I've found that my learning comes best from reading overviews and linking concepts myself. It can take quite a while, but once the 'aha' moment happens things fall into place really quickly. It also helps because you usually wind up understanding more than one thing very well at a time.

Hope this helps.

smilingsteph

I was looking through old papers and found a letter that my teacher wrote my mom...says "stephanie needs to pay attention to the task at hand and less time talking with her neighbors" how fitting for a third house mercury in Gemini :) :)

Arian Maverick

I know a guy with Mercury in Pisces (conjunct my Moon) and trine his Neptune. Mercury is in his 11th, Neptune in his 6th in Scorpio. He writes about music. I could just be biased but he wrote in a totally beautiful way, he can make whoever he is writing about sound like the most heavenly thing. He also reads about more Scorpionic things too, sexual and psychological.

Ooh, we should create another thread titled Mercury and Your Writing Style!

Unfortunately, this may be a bit difficult to pinpoint, for I've noticed that my writing style changes in various contexts. I suspect this is true for everyone.

I doubt anyone who's closely followed my posts on the forum would believe this, but in creative writing, my style is ornate and somewhat abstract. I'm not sure where this comes from, although like your friend, I have a Mercury-Neptune aspect (square instead of trine).

To tie this comment back to the thread topic, I learn by writing. :)

EDIT: Oh, I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier! Has anyone ever heard of the different learning styles--visual, auditory, and tactile/kinesthetic? Do you suppose these styles could be associated with various astrological factors? I personally consider myself to be a visual learner, although this applies less to maps and diagrams than to my ability to recall the approximate positions of words on a page. I believe Aries rules the eyes, but which sign rules the ears? Is there a different ruler for each ear? Finally, I believe Venus is best associated with tactile/kinesthetic learning styles.

Arian Maverick

Xibalba

Arian Maverick said:

Unfortunately, this may be a bit difficult to pinpoint, for I've noticed that my writing style changes in various contexts. I suspect this is true for everyone.

I doubt anyone who's closely followed my posts on the forum would believe this, but in creative writing, my style is ornate and somewhat abstract. I'm not sure where this comes from, although like your friend, I have a Mercury-Neptune aspect (square instead of trine).

To tie this comment back to the thread topic, I learn by writing. :)

EDIT: Oh, I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier! Has anyone ever heard of the different learning styles--visual, auditory, and tactile/kinesthetic? Do you suppose these styles could be associated with various astrological factors? I personally consider myself to be a visual learner, although this applies less to maps and diagrams than to my ability to recall the approximate positions of words on a page. I believe Aries rules the eyes, but which sign rules the ears? Is there a different ruler for each ear? Finally, I believe Venus is best associated with tactile/kinesthetic learning styles.

Arian Maverick

Yeah, that has been around for a while. Might want to check out;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theory_of_multiple_intelligences

Astrologer4U

Xibalba said:
I was just musing about something and decided to pose this question. Do you think your learning style is influenced by your sign in Mercury? For instance, my Mercury is in Pisces; what would that say about my learning style? When you were in school, how did you learn best? Do you think your Mercury had anything to do with it?

My daughter has Mercury in the 12th house and her learning style is really hard to figure out. Not to mention she has a few challenging aspects going to her Mercruy in the 12th. I would say she does a lot better if things are explained to her in the most simplistic way, then she has to be set free to absorb what has just been said to her. She also has to feel confident in knowing that if she has any questions, she can just ask. Interesting that although her reading skills are low, she is great in chemistry and music.

For the most part, she is not doing to bad, she made the honor roll this last report card period.

Astrologer4U

Neptune Rising

Arian Maverick said:

Lol I just realised I diverted from topic!
Yes my friend is ornate too in his writing. He does tend to learn about what he is writing about.

Mercury and writing style would be fascinating too! I was pondering on how people come across and if it relates to their Mercury sign/placement.

NR