worst sign combinations in romance!

Rushwing

All this discussion is very inspiring to me, thanks to the people who are so open with discussing their own experiences!

I had a thought about natal suns and relationships while I was taking a shower, so of course that means it was a good idea! (All the best ideas come from the shower!)

So interestingly it was more of a feeling and therefore its just a theory, but hear me out. . .

1. Opposite signs from natal sun are often the most alluring, in the sense that they offer a sort of bottomless sublimation of the self and/or a perfect mirror. (I'm a virgo, and I love pisces men)
2. Signs to the right and left of the opposite sign ( take virgo for example: Aries and Aquarius are to the right and left of Pisces) have a special "charging" effect. That is, they are great psychological archetypes for the natal to use to understand and incorporate all opposites within the self. In life they can either be a source of great pain (to the unconscious) or they can be a source of great inner growth (for those ready to incorporate those archetypes into themselves) They are like guides to lead a person to understand the shadow side. I like to think of them like "mother" and "father" figures in life. In the sense that they represent ideals of control and mastery that one hopes to achieve but seem somehow out of reach.

3. Signs to the right and left of the natal sun. (For a virgo that would be leo and libra) are people who are similar in some way and in that case they are like "siblings." So often times, relationships that are intimate with these signs don't work because they can become "incestuous" (these are all archetypal concepts so its not literal) but both signs can be repulsed from each-other because there is an "over-familiarity" or a "lack of boundaries" because their energies are too close. On the same page however, they can be great for each-other because their energetic frequencies merge, and so they undergo changes at the same time.

I often meditate on the ways we idealize certain signs and demonize others, so that I can come to a more full understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of all signs.

Interestingly also, when I think of an Aquarius in its most perfect form, just as an archetype, I think of a woman, even though its supposedly a yang sign. Personally it works for me that my "mother" and "father" archetypes are Aries "father" and Aquarius "mother." However another virgo might have the ideal as an Aquarius "father" and Aries "mother."
Ultimately I think then that a relationship therefore that is between a natal and any one of the two signs adjacent to the opposition, would be one where these signs would have a strong domineering effect on the natal and the natal would be like a "child" whereas a natal with the opposite would be the perfect balance.

Disclaimer: This is all of course very formulaic, a basic arithmetic that doesn't include all the other variables in natal charts.

Peace :wink:

Rushwing

Here's another point:

Just because a relationship has a dominant partner over the other isn't a bad thing as long as there are clear boundaries.

For me, I currently have an Aries-Virgo relationship (business not pleasure) that is very good, and we have a "code of conduct" between us. Sometimes the one who is subservient has all the power!

Life is rocky though, and so often we get into relationships without stating our boundaries.

I feel like for my own personal growth, I had to move beyond the familial tendencies to stick around with Leos and Libras and then I found more Pisces and Aries in my life!

The Leos I know want to dominate me, and the Libras I know want to be dominated. (Again my own personal karma here)

Does anyone feel the same way?

For example, if you are a Taurus, do you feel a sort of "older sibling/ younger sibling" default position from how the Aries and Gemini's you know treat you and act around you?

nuthatch

2. Signs to the right and left of the opposite sign ( take virgo for example: Aries and Aquarius are to the right and left of Pisces) have a special "charging" effect. That is, they are great psychological archetypes for the natal to use to understand and incorporate all opposites within the self. In life they can either be a source of great pain (to the unconscious) or they can be a source of great inner growth (for those ready to incorporate those archetypes into themselves) They are like guides to lead a person to understand the shadow side. I like to think of them like "mother" and "father" figures in life. In the sense that they represent ideals of control and mastery that one hopes to achieve but seem somehow out of reach.

3. Signs to the right and left of the natal sun. (For a virgo that would be leo and libra) are people who are similar in some way and in that case they are like "siblings." So often times, relationships that are intimate with these signs don't work because they can become "incestuous" (these are all archetypal concepts so its not literal) but both signs can be repulsed from each-other because there is an "over-familiarity" or a "lack of boundaries" because their energies are too close. On the same page however, they can be great for each-other because their energetic frequencies merge, and so they undergo changes at the same time.

Peace :wink:

Interesting! Yeah, I've always had a special attraction to Aquarius men--they didn't always (or ever) really work as romantic partners, but my attraction to them always invigorates me. I did a list of the most inspiring crushes I've ever had, and there were 5 Aquarians as opposed to one Scorpio, one Libra, and one Virgo (said Virgo is also, I just learned, an Aquarius rising). The other crushes have tended to make me afraid to create--I have yet to figure out exactly how this works, but for me to have an attraction that makes me want to create is a rare and beautiful thing, regardless of whether anything works out with the guy. I'm in the middle of one now and it's WONDERFUL.

But then I am also heavily drawn to Capricorns and Pisces. And both Cap and Pisces have traits that I really want to embody...for Capricorn, motivation, dedication and flexibility, and for Pisces, the ability to relinquish self-consciousness and take major artistic risks. The Capricorns I admire prove that art (or anything one creates) is not just about brilliance but also requires labor and resistance, while the Pisces (although they can also be quite hard workers) prove the importance of getting over yourself and playing and being open to weird sources of inspiration.

Your interpretation of the adjacent signs' energies being "incestuous" is also something I've never heard before, but it's intriguing to think about. I've certainly felt that too-much-similarity thing with Virgos, though not Cancers so much.

Also, I have NEVER been attracted to a Leo man. Not even a celebrity. I have to say I'll be shocked if I end up with another Leo.

I have also noticed a pretty big number of very (apparently) loving, long-term couples with adjacent signs. Joanne Woodward and Paul Newman, Kyra Sedgwick and Kevin Bacon, Bono and Ali Hewson, Sarah Michelle Gellar and Freddie Prinze, Jr., Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale, David and Victoria Bechkam, Will Smith and Jada Pinkett-Smith...anyone know any others?

Last edited:

juicey J.

Banned
This is more of a serious astrological inquiry then a humorous one. First off those Aquairus and Aries you know who didn't get along, it was because of other chart factors such as squares and/or oppositions from the malefics of one chart to the planets and angles of the other with little to no positive aspects to counter it or one of the parties might have had mars angular or in square to one of the angles (which, can make for a combative personality which is hard to get along with even for people who have quite good synastry with them).

I agree virgo and sag are not too compatible but they are both mutable (relatively malleable). Now, Aquarius and Virgo being inconjunct are total opposites (as opposed to polar opposites of the opposition) Aquarius is theoretical where as virgo is practical, Aquarius (much like Sag) in and of itself could care less about minor detail, virgo is obsessed with it, Virgo is malleable, Aquarius is quite stubborn. Sag can be strong willed due to being fire (the combative element) but by comparison when push comes to shove on average Aquarius in and of itself is worse then Sag when it comes to being stubborn.

Last edited:

Gwenyhfair

I can´t agree with the list. WAY too general. I ´m sun taurus but mars aqua trine uranus in libra. Not even a SAG is free soul enough for me:biggrin:

About virgo -sag funny indeed probably a very bad combo. Cause I know somebody who is sun sag virgo rising. Talk about problems with oneself bad relation with the inner self or something :surprised:

here comes bad sun sign compatibility (with good synastry on the other hand) : cap husband gemini wife, but what I`ve seen all gemini have real problems in relationships ... My dad is gem mum leo. Their marriage was really bad, I could draw the conclusion it was my mum´s very virgo-influenced chart that did not get along wit gem. So virgo-gem = bad?

Aries -aries = power struggles, fights

inconjunct signs are supposed to be bad cause they simply do not understand each other. I know several happy couples that are opposite signs.

here comes another bad: cancer -sag

My grandparents were virgo& virgo and told to be happy.

straymelody

libra's can't get along with scorpio's for sure! im libra sun, moon sign sag & asc virgo and i can never get along with cancer's or scorpio's, too clingy!:tongue:
moreover, i have been attracting pisceans for the past 3 years (although i don't like them either) :unsure: lol i really get along with leo's n sag's!
i think scorpio's n sag's are not a good combination either.

juicey J.

Banned
libra's can't get along with scorpio's for sure! im libra sun, moon sign sag & asc virgo and i can never get along with cancer's or scorpio's, too clingy!:tongue:
moreover, i have been attracting pisceans for the past 3 years (although i don't like them either) :unsure: lol i really get along with leo's n sag's!
i think scorpio's n sag's are not a good combination either.

No your totally wrong, I know a libra/scorpio couple that has been married for 50 years now. People not getting along has to do with stress aspects from the malefics of one to the main planets and/or anlges to the other with little to no friendly aspects from benefics to help counter it. Also, a malefic angular or in stress aspect to an angle with no friendly aspect from a benefic to counter it can make for a difficult personality which, is hard to get along with even for people who have good synastry with said person. I will agree moon in sag (along with rising and sun) generally doesn't like clingy people.

Last edited:

juicey J.

Banned
Gweny is right inconjunct signs are by comparison the sign most different from each other, they might have 2 or 3 things in common but when compared to their relationships with the other signs they have the least in common. A person whose chart makes a majority of inconjuncts to your own will be someone where you might well think "what space ship did this person step off of". My problem being (to put a bit more humor in this serious inquiry thread, as this is the humor section afterall) is a person with a majority of taurus and virgo (I'm aquarius and libra dominate so these signs quincux me) I would have to fit the urge to want to cut a rug with said person due to my venus (grace, beauty, love) being in capricorn (the sign which, trines the prior meantioned signs) despite much of me thinking "where in the blue h@ll is this person coming from?" Kids if you ever wonder things like "how did those two wind up together?" 8.5+ times out of 10 astrology has the answers.

Last edited:

mutableflame

Scorpio Aries was my parents. . . WORST FIGHTS EVER! Could hear them down the whole block. . .

Absolute hell . . .Always had to destroy everything before anyone would admit they were wrong.

Virgo Sag for different reasons - sag pacing makes virgo even more nervous. Sagittarians are great optimists but their "blind spots" can drive a virgo mad, plus their unwilling-ness to slow down

Also a really bad one is Capricorn Libra. . . Libra blames everything on Capricorn capricorn gets sick of Libra "avoidance" of the problem. Cap feels weighed down by Libra indecisive nature.

Great thread!

Ah, and much like a Virgo I hear many things awry with Sagittarius, but a distinct neglect of Virgo's issues. lol Granted I am a Sagittarius Sun, Moon, Mercury raised by a Virgo mother. So this may be biased.

Virgos for me have been a love hate relationship. Their criticisms have proven constructive however, despite good intentions, sometimes destructive. It has helped me be more self-aware, yet in others ways self-conscious.

Plus the tendency to sweep everything under the rug and internalize drives me nuts. Not always the victim, yet that composure looks oh so flawless.

Drives me insane!

However I also drive myself insane! My well-intentioned irresponsibility. Tactlessness. Over-looking details. Self-righteousness. Eh. At least we (Sagittarius) have fun. lol

As for the thread itself. I don't think there is such a thing as a worst combination. I think there is a worst for Aquarius, as there is a worst for Pisces, but I don't feel that one sign has the potential for worse relationships than the next sign.

juicey J.

Banned
Well said mutable flame, no one sign has a worse relationship potential then another. Also, its seems in general people are saying squares and inconjuncts have by comparison with the other sign relationships the hardest time seeing eye to eye and this I think (considering the two charts as a whole) is generally true.

DreamingTheSeas

-I have never attracted Geminis. When I had an online dating profile (for all of 2 weeks), I kept a tally of all the sun signs of the guys who messaged me. In descending order, it was like Scorpio (about 11), Virgo (9 or 10), Aries, Capricorn, Libra, Taurus, Aquarius, Pisces, Leo, Cancer, Sagittarius, and Gemini. ONE SINGLE SOLITARY GEMINI.

I don't think there is any such thing as an unworkable combination, though.

Thats because Geminis were in chat with ALL the other women who were registered before you :biggrin:

As an Aquarius, i think my worst is Agua-Leo and I think Aqua-Capricorn couple as good for lasting relationship

juicey J.

Banned
I would agree Aquarius and leo can be quite a tense relationship due to their not only opposing each other but both being in active elements (as opposed to the relatively more passive elements of earth and water). Its been said when Leo and Aquarius are at odds (how much so depends on the aspects to the planets and angles of both charts) its D@MN THE TORPEDOES!!!!!!!!!!!!

The thing to note about oppositions in general in and of themselves is they arguably have more in common then the sextile, and defitely more in common then the square and inconjunct. Oppostions can create attraction but also head on battles but at least oppositions fight directly over the same space or ideal where as squares and inconjuncts are often not on the same wave length, the inconjunct more so where as the square creates a fair amount of conflict the inconjunct (especially if its predominate between the two charts) is more of a what in the...... then serious conflict. For me at least being dominate in Aquarius and Libra, people predominate in sag (the sign which, sextiles the vast majority of my chart) seem to have a "we have little to nothing in common yet we still manage to pretty much get along" affect on me.

Last edited:

juicey J.

Banned
A synastry topic is pretty good though for the humor section, because synastry creates all kinds of humors affects, such as the sweet as pie and shy girl next door who is madly in love with the bad@ss biker dude.

Last edited:

juicey J.

Banned
Also, with such a topic its important to note the individual chart of the person comes into affect such as a person with stress aspects from the malefics to the rising, its ruler, any of the angles, and or the luminaries can (key word) make for a highly difficult personality (especially the combative mars) which, is hard to get along with even for people who have altogether positive synastry to said person. Take Deborah houlding as an example,deb has the rising in tight square to mars, deb is notorious for banning people left and right from her skyscript site who disagree with her in even the slightest, and she doesn't without warning. Deb does have venus in positive aspect to mars and jupiter in postive aspect to the rising which, helps (a person with a mars square the rising with out such aspects from benefics would be potentially worse).

Last edited:

dhundhun

Astrologers can focus more on Planets than Sun Sign. Some of the notable combinations are:

Look for Sat/Ven for coldness
Look for Nep/Mars for illicit affairs
Look for Ura/Mars for betrayal
Look for Chiron with Sun, Moon, Venus for broken heart

Rushwing

Astrologers can focus more on Planets than Sun Sign. Some of the notable combinations are:

Look for Sat/Ven for coldness
Look for Nep/Mars for illicit affairs
Look for Ura/Mars for betrayal
Look for Chiron with Sun, Moon, Venus for broken heart

Great reminder, I had a uranus-mars synastry aspect that I didn't pay attention too, and I should have known that was why I always felt nervous, like I was about to be betrayed!

Rushwing

This is more of a serious astrological inquiry then a humorous one. First off those Aquairus and Aries you know who didn't get along, it was because of other chart factors such as squares and/or oppositions from the malefics of one chart to the planets and angles of the other with little to no positive aspects to counter it or one of the parties might have had mars angular or in square to one of the angles (which, can make for a combative personality which is hard to get along with even for people who have quite good synastry with them).

I agree virgo and sag are not too compatible but they are both mutable (relatively malleable). Now, Aquarius and Virgo being inconjunct are total opposites (as opposed to polar opposites of the opposition) Aquarius is theoretical where as virgo is practical, Aquarius (much like Sag) in and of itself could care less about minor detail, virgo is obsessed with it, Virgo is malleable, Aquarius is quite stubborn. Sag can be strong willed due to being fire (the combative element) but by comparison when push comes to shove on average Aquarius in and of itself is worse then Sag when it comes to being stubborn.

I'm not a die hard believer that every little synastry aspect will define whether a relationship is a good or bad one. I think it depends on the maturity and consciousness of both individuals involved, and whether or not there is an ability to accept forms of love that are as varied as there are stars in the sky.

I am a firm believer that astrology can predict problems but it does not prevent love and all its forms.

I said before
"For me, I currently have an Aries-Virgo relationship (business not pleasure) that is very good, and we have a "code of conduct" between us. Sometimes the one who is subservient has all the power!"

Actually, I like the fact that you mentioned that they are really opposites. One thing I like is that such relationships may not lead to long term "perfect" partnership/sexual union, but are great for business. I think because they occupy distinctly different "compartments" that there is more respect for space. I personally like relationships where it is clear where we are different, and therefore the boundaries are easier to remember and respect.

Anyway, this thread did start out trifling and got more serious. I'm really happy about it, seems this forum has been missing this kind of thinking lately.

Your post has more that I agree with than disagree, and its more like I simply "differ" than "take issue." So thanks a lot for posting it.

Also I don't know if you noticed, but I did say at the end that my theory was very formulaic and archetypal, not method-based, so of course I wouldn't apply such generalities to specific cases.
:bandit::biggrin:

Unfortunately I have to go, but I will think more about this.

juicey J.

Banned
Well I think synastry does show where ease and difficulty in the relationship generally will be but yes how much the two are willing to work through it depends on their maturity which, the chart (which, only makes up part but not all of an individual person) in small part shows. Also, you have to look at the star alignments (one or two negative longitude or paran star alignments usually aren't enough to do noticeable damage) and the planetary positions and aspects to get a person's personality.Certain star and planetary alignments at least potentially and relatively can influence a person to become so difficult they are hard to get along with even for people who have quite positive synastry to them. Also, its not so bad having lots of negative aspects to a person whose chart makes them a relatively easy going/understanding. Also, much(although it did get a bit technical in parts) of the post you quoted wasn't methodical/technical astrology but me correcting you on what I thought and understood to be archetypal astrology, although you honestly seem to understand a good deal of it but its not archetypal astrology to say Aries and Aquarius don't get along.

Last edited:

Rushwing

Certainly aries and aquarius don't get along! But I was talking more about Aries/Virgo and Aquarius/Virgo. . . personally I like difficult relationships. Is that because I am a virgo or is that because aquarius is on my descendent therefore I am attracted to weird/strange connections?

It seems you do know a great deal more about synastry than I do.

What I wanted to say was I seemed to notice that my Aquarius and Aries friends/family/relationships were actually more positive for me than negative.

With the Aquarius, i am attracted to their ability to be innovative and hide their emotions, something which is important for a virgo to learn. I think the Aquarians like me because I am a great critic and synthesizer of their own wild ideas, something they need to kick start them to the next level.

With Aries, I am attracted to their ability to be assertive and openly passionate, something that a virgo should learn for themselves. The Aries I know like me because I am a great organizer for their large projects. Something I find they absolutely need (my boss and my mom both are awed by my abilities).

As a virgo I love to feel appreciated, and both these signs seem to appreciate me more because I can help with areas of their lives that they are not good at and vice versa.

That was my basic point. Sun's - like stars, light up your life. Archetypes are generalizations, but I find that monthly solar energies loom large in determining the way people occupy space (not their emotions, or personal needs, or ways of thinking, but the simple way they occupy space, their frequency)

With Pisces however, I sense that we both just either get completely lost in each-other to the point of merging (which can be fabulous but hard to remember the important things like mutual growth), or we are so opposite that there is no understanding or appreciation.

What is your sign and what is your personal experience with the opposites?

Again, thanks for your insightful sharing. I really don't know much about aspects in synastry nor do I know about fixed stars besides the general. I hope there is more of this kind of discussion on this forum!

Last edited: