Will I make a full recovery from this illness?

shelley11

Also, I caused my illness in December. I was taking a lot of vitamins/mineral supplements back then, and thought it would be a good idea to take a lot of iodine. The iodine turned out to be very bad for me---it caused the hyperthyroidism (which started mid-January). I was very healthy prior to the iodine, though, which is the frustrating part. Well, I learned my lesson. No more supplements.

waybread

Shelley, can you say what is the problem with your hope to gain weight? Are you not eating much?

This is NOMB but you are completely anonymous on this forum, so I wonder if you have an eating disorder. Posting your chart with the dwarf planet Ceres (formerly classified as an asteroid) may be helpful. Saturn square moon suggests issues with eating. Taking all of those supplements in the past might be one indicator.

shelley11

Shelley, can you say what is the problem with your hope to gain weight? Are you not eating much?

This is NOMB but you are completely anonymous on this forum, so I wonder if you have an eating disorder. Posting your chart with the dwarf planet Ceres (formerly classified as an asteroid) may be helpful. Saturn square moon suggests issues with eating. Taking all of those supplements in the past might be one indicator.
Oh, no it wasn't like that. The hyperthyroidism causes your metabolism to go into overdrive, which makes you lose weight even if you're eating tons of food. Your body temperature also gets much warmer, hot even, along with a racing heart sometimes. The racing heart is called a thyroid storm, and it can be deadly. It's terrifying, too. But anyway, in the beginning, I was losing weight from the sped-up metabolism.

I lost the first 10 pounds within a month. At that point, I think my thyroid had normalized from the acupuncture treatments/homeopathy. *However*, if you lose too much weight too quickly as I did, it can cause the body to go into starvation mode, and you lose your nutrients/electrolytes. This puts you at risk for Refeeding Syndrome (i.e. when you try to increase your food intake, your body no longer has enough nutrients to process the food *and* keep your heart beating properly, so you get these awful heart/respiratory symptoms.) Anyone who loses a lot of weight too quickly, from any illness, can get Refeeding Syndrome.

I didn't know what was happening to me at first, because every time I tried to eat more food to re-gain the weight, I'd get those symptoms. So I continued to lose weight for a few months. But after a while, I started to realize that if I ate certain foods along with the meal, it would lessen the symptoms. Those "special" foods happened to be high in either potassium, phosphorus, or magnesium---which are the missing electrolytes characteristic of Refeeding Syndrome. With that knowledge, I slowly began to increase my food intake with the help of those special foods.

Usually, malnourished patients who have Refeeding Syndrome are treated in a hospital with very strict cardiac monitoring while their electrolytes are being restored. It has to be done very carefully because there's a delicate balance of electrolytes in the body. I've been trying to manage my electrolyte situation with the "special" foods, but it's difficult because of the delicate balance in the body. If you eat lots of food high in potassium for example, and your body doesn't have enough magnesium yet, you can start to get symptoms. You have to maintain the balance while building the body back up from the ground. So far, I've managed to gain 7 lbs since last month (I'm at 95 lbs now.) But it's difficult because of the delicate balance of electrolytes that I still have to maintain to prevent the symptoms from coming. So in that sense, I have become a bit nervous about eating because I don't always get the balance correct, which causes breathing problems or heart palpitations, etc. It can be nerve wracking at times.

There are a few hospitals in the country that have the expertise to treat Refeeding Syndrome, but they don't take my insurance, and the treatment is super expensive out of pocket. So I've been trying to manage it on my own, with the help of my homeopathic doctor. But I wonder if I should try to find a way to get into one of those hospitals...

But anyway, I've always had a normal weight (BMI 19) before the hyperthyroidism. I was never underweight until this year. But I have tended to be vigilant about what foods I eat. Like, it usually has to be organic, healthy foods. No junk usually. And I used to be lazy about cooking sometimes. I'll post my chart with Ceres when I pull it up tomorrow. Sorry for long post :)

Last edited:

shelley11

I guess the short answer is that I'm not eating as much as I should to gain weight fast because I keep getting heart/breathing symptoms when I eat, from Refeeding Syndrome (electrolyte imbalance). But I'm making some progress slowly/carefully, and gained 7 lbs so far. I wonder if these symptoms will stop at some point if I manage to gain more weight. Anyway, here's my chart with Ceres. I think I'll post it in "Read my chart", too, with transits.

1661187825914.png
1661187825914.png

Last edited: