Why I don't look like a Taurus Rising.

nemesis

I tried to get an answer on this in another thread but it seems no one is keen on helping. So I assumed that since this area is about chart reading. Someone could be ever so kind as to help me with a question I've been wondering about for a long time.

I have a few ideas to to why but nothing for sure. I have considered my Libra stellium or maybe my Rising sign Virgo decan.

I am not stocky, thick necked, broad shouldered or anything "bull-like". I am petite, never had weight problems and I am not by any means a stick figure but I am thin.

The only things that are similar is I do have dark hair/eyes like they say Taurus Risings do and I have been told I have a nice voice.

I know this seems like a silly question but I really am very curious and I cannot figure it out for myself. Would appreciate any comments, thank you.

Anyways here is my chart http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=428&pictureid=2321

nuthatch

Well, I've heard that the Sun can also be a significant influence on the appearance. Sometimes I see the Sun in a person I just meet, and other times I see the Ascendant. For me, I know that Capricorn has a big effect on my appearance--however, the two famous-ish people I've been told more than once that I look like a combination of are both Leos. (Sorry for that convoluted sentence!)

I also wonder if Chiron on the Ascendant has any effect. My Internet isn't working too well--I'll have to get back to you on that. But I'm genuinely curious. Planets on the Ascendant, as I'm sure you know, can influence the Ascendant's expression, so I wonder what asteroids do (Chiron is supposed to be the strongest of the asteroids.)

Mia Farrow is a Taurus Rising, which shows that Taurus Ascendants can also be delicately built. For her I think the Taurus shows up in her lovely large eyes, her grace, and the look of sensual innocence in her expressions.
Also, I linked to some other famous Taurus Risings here:

nemesis

nuthatch thanks for the links :) and yeah I do know about the Sun's influence and anything aspecting my Asc but not sure what it is (specifically) that makes me so different then what I read about on my Asc's looks.
It is nice to see some other Taurus Risings that aren't so "typical" though.

I read the bit about Chiron conj. the Asc and I do not have big arms or anything but I do have one thing in common with what they mentioned. I have a scar on my forehead but I always assumed that had something to do with my Aries decan on my Sun in Leo.

I'm also very short (5'1") not sure if that's a Taurus thing or not.

dr. farr

There are those of us who believe that you look like the sign or signs WHICH TOOK at the time of your birth, rather than the theoretical considerations of which sign is on the ascendant, where the Sun was placed, and so on; in my case, I do look like a Taurus, and that is where my natal Sun is; but I have nothing physically connected with my rising sign, Virgo (or even my rising sign in sidereal, which is Leo), but Virgo is very much a picture of my intellect; in my late wife's case, she had NOTHING connected with her natal Sun in Gemini; but mentally and physically she was a picture of her rising (tropical) sign, Libra; these examples could go on and on, and, long ago, I became convinced of the validity of an ancient doctrine that you look like WHATEVER ACTUALLY "TOOK" (ie, "took hold") at your nativity, regardless of where on the Wheel that sign (or signs) happened to be located at the time of birth...

Claire19

The condition of your Venus is very important as your chart ruler.
Do you have any planets in the 1st as they far outweigh a mere rising sign.

You will have some characteristics maybe of Taurus. Big eyes, a floppy forelock, thick curly hair, sensual mouth, rounded look and sometimes a combination of dark hair and light eyes is evident. A pleasant voice and maybe into singing????

Claire19

Well, I've heard that the Sun can also be a significant influence on the appearance. Sometimes I see the Sun in a person I just meet, and other times I see the Ascendant. For me, I know that Capricorn has a big effect on my appearance--however, the two famous-ish people I've been told more than once that I look like a combination of are both Leos. (Sorry for that convoluted sentence!)

I also wonder if Chiron on the Ascendant has any effect. My Internet isn't working too well--I'll have to get back to you on that. But I'm genuinely curious. Planets on the Ascendant, as I'm sure you know, can influence the Ascendant's expression, so I wonder what asteroids do (Chiron is supposed to be the strongest of the asteroids.)

Mia Farrow is a Taurus Rising, which shows that Taurus Ascendants can also be delicately built. For her I think the Taurus shows up in her lovely large eyes, her grace, and the look of sensual innocence in her expressions.
Also, I linked to some other famous Taurus Risings here:
Just a comment on Chiron. I am not sure it is an asteroid, a comet or something else. I dont believe it affects appearance as such. It is supposed to be the wounded healer and can only be healed by others.
Martin Lass has a good website on it.

nemesis

Thank you very much for both of your replies.

dr. farr: I am sorry but I am not sure what you mean by what signs "took hold"?

The condition of your Venus is very important as your chart ruler.
Do you have any planets in the 1st as they far outweigh a mere rising sign.

You will have some characteristics maybe of Taurus. Big eyes, a floppy forelock, thick curly hair, sensual mouth, rounded look and sometimes a combination of dark hair and light eyes is evident. A pleasant voice and maybe into singing????

My natal chart is linked in my first post and also I have a link to it in my signature. Says "my chart" right under my signature quote.
But no planets in the 1st house.
I also mentioned in my first post
The only things that are similar is I do have dark hair/eyes like they say Taurus Risings do and I have been told I have a nice voice.
^
SO yes I have a few things in common with my Rising sign.
My hair is quite wavy (but it's thin), big eyes and some people have told me I have a nice mouth/lips too actually yes.

Kannon

Your question relates to appearance and without a picture of you there is no way to talk anything but theory and speculation. I also do not know what your understanding is of what Taurus rising is supposed to look like.

Taurus and other fixed signs have generally squarish/rectangular faces. Cardinal signs have rounded/ovate faces. Mutable signs have narrow/tapering/longish faces. Many a Pisces rising could be mistaken for a Taurus rising (as in Liza Minelli), because their birth time indicates that they should be that sign. I have not studied what Dr. Farr has studied related to what sign 'took hold' at birth, but in the Incarn approach we have a much more detailed outline of what physical characteristics belong to certain Asc signs.

dr. farr

"Took hold", meaning which zodiacal influences (signs) actually affected your biodynamic field, modifying the trend of your physical body development. The general doctrine, both Western and Vedic (mainstream Vedic), ancient and modern, is that the ascending sign (or the Sun sign, or the Moon sign, depending upon the authority referenced) is the zodiacal influence which determines this development; what I am saying is that ANY sign (or signs) COULD have this influence and play this role (influencing development of the physical body characteristics) and this is NOT necessarily only-or even primarily-a function of only the ascending sign, or the Sun sign, or the Moon sign. The basis of my outlook-which I hasten to add is a radicalist concept-is that the pre-natal epoch/conception astrological influences can pre-set the field of the individual to be particularly susceptible to a given at-birth sign influence relative to physical body characteristics, and this at-birth sign influence is not necessarily always the ascending sign (or Sun sign or Moon sign); this concept also connects with the swara (first breath) considerations relative to natal astrological influences, which I have discussed in a couple of previous posts.

Anyway, that is what I mean by "what took hold"; also note that I am not arguing the truth of this "what took" concept, its just where my studies and experiences have led me over the years, and is the "working hypothesis" I have come to use relative to this physical-appearance-connected-with-the-signs, issue.

Last edited:

nemesis

thanks for explaining dr. farr :)

but gosh how would I find something like that out? Would I basically have to come to the conclusion on my own?

Matto

I was afraid someone would ask for a picture lol I photograph terribly. I have no problems with my looks EXCEPT in photographs.

I have a picture of me on my profile but it's only a side view so I suppose:pinched: I can break down and post one of me face front.

But thank you Kannon I had been reading some of your posts on this subject (was linked to it through a PM) and from what I've read body wise and face wise I do not look like one very much.
As I mentioned in my first post I am not stocky, thick, squarish etc.

I actually kinda do see Taurus rising in you. You have a Taurus-like 'earthiness' and friendliness in your face. I recently discovered I have Taurus rising too, but I don't particularly look like Taurus either, so I understand your confusion and/or frustration :p

nemesis

I actually kinda do see Taurus rising in you. You have a Taurus-like 'earthiness' and friendliness in your face. I recently discovered I have Taurus rising too, but I don't particularly look like Taurus either, so I understand your confusion and/or frustration :p

thank you I think :p

and well cool nice to know another Taurus rising is feeling the same way lol.

Matto

thank you I think :p

and well cool nice to know another Taurus rising is feeling the same way lol.

Do you have any planets conjunct your ascendant? And your pic also gives me a Pisces vibe, do you have anything in Pisces? Or maybe you have a strong Neptune?

waybread

Nemesis, I hate to say this, but I think a lot of the books/sites on rising sign and physical appearance are wrong.

Your physical appearance is mostly affected by genetics.

A lot of the stuff about how one's rising sign affects appearance was written in ancient Greece, by authors who were concerned to describe a link between actual constellations (or pie-sectors of the heavens roughly corresponding to them) and the animals or humanoids which most of them depicted.

Moreover, the material on the ascendant and physical appearance in modern western astrology was largely written by and for Europeans. A lot of it just doesn't pan out in Africa or Asia (where everybody has dark hair and eyes, and an olive or dark skin tone.) It probably wouldn't work in parts of Scandinavia where a lot of people are very blonde and light-skinned, either. This is basic genetics.

You appear to have a delicate jaw line. If both your parents had it, and most of your grandparents, you aren't going to get a square jaw, for example.

You might enjoy looking at this site, which classifies photos of people by sun, moon, and rising sign: www.astrofaces.com .

So far as the rising sign and physical appearance goes, I would look more to a person's mannerisms and outward personality. With your ASC in Taurus and your sun/Mercury in fixed signs, as well, you may be more stubborn (or fixed in your purposes) than your feminine appearance would suggest. You may have a practical, material streak that we wouldn't get just by focusing on your planets.

You do look like a "Venusian" person to me. Your photo looks very feminine, and you are attractive. Your Venus is dignified in its own sign of Libra. Sextiling Neptune, Venus probably gives you some artistic talent--music seems likely.

Yes, other things can influence one's personal appearance. When I was younger I had a "mane" of curly blonde hair. I didn't know my birth time for several years after I started studying astrology. A professional astrologer guessed that my rising sign was Leo. When I tried to rectify my chart, I came up with early Libra. Then I found my birth certificate in my mother's papers after she passed away. It turns out my rising sign is in late Virgo! Interestingly, when the astrologer guessed my Ascendant as Leo, I tried to exemplify more Leo. Well, possibly my Leo planets were showing through; and in any case I have a lot of Libra in my first house. When I thought it was in Libra, I tried to be more gracious and charming. So we really have to avoid the power of suggestion. And good for you that you've questioned the astro-authorities!

A great book on the ASC/DSC axis is Jodie Forrest, The Ascendant. She focuses on how the rising sign affects how we interface with the world and how others percieve us.

Last edited:

dr. farr

:)
but gosh how would I find something like that out? Would I basically have to come to the conclusion on my own?

Yes, you would! That's what I have been doing for a long time now, when it comes to determining the likely natal sign (or sinss) influencing the development of the physical framework: you look at the person, their face, figure, etc (not really colors, like hair or skin or eyes; more the form/formation of the face, body) and, knowing the affinities of the various signs for face/form, you make your determination. What they actually LOOK LIKE shows the sign (or 2) which "took" in their physical formation, regardless of where that sign was located in the natal chart, or what planet was or was not posited in that sign at the birth.

Now I want to make another point: I am talking here ONLY about signs relative to physical body formation; regarding temperament, personality, emotional tendencies and all the rest, I do follow along with the generally accepted concepts regarding the ascending sign, place of the Sun, Moon, and so on.

Last edited:

SniperBomber328

I'm with Dr. Farr on this one, and a few others as well. I hardly doubt the Asc alone has a significant role when deciding your Appearance.

Like me for example, I have a Sun Scorpio with Scorpio Asc, and my Sun closely conjunct my Asc ( Sun at 3 Degrees and Asc at 5 Degrees) and you would think I have dark skin, curly hair and a deep voice, right? Well it turns out that I am very light skinned, have straight hair (not to mention it is dirty blonde), and am actually light to middle toned in voice.

My Moon is in Pisces in the 5th, but I don't resemble Pisces either, I am not rounded, nor' squarish, and am not stocky, which both signs are supposed to represent. Also Jupiter Conjuncts my Asc as well, but I am definitley not tall, just average or below.....

The only factors I have found come into play would be the Scorpio sharp eyes thing, and the Sun's bright smile (which I have been told I smile a lot, with a big smile too).

Just "food for thought".

nemesis

Do you have any planets conjunct your ascendant? And your pic also gives me a Pisces vibe, do you have anything in Pisces? Or maybe you have a strong Neptune?

Well a link to my chart is in my signature and in my first post but no planets are conj my Asc and yes I have a pisces moon. my Asc is quincunx my neptune I think if that counts for anything.

With your ASC in Taurus and your sun/Mercury in fixed signs, as well, you may be more stubborn (or fixed in your purposes) than your feminine appearance would suggest. You may have a practical, material streak that we wouldn't get just by focusing on your planets.

You do look like a "Venusian" person to me. Your photo looks very feminine, and you are attractive. Your Venus is dignified in its own sign of Libra. Sextiling Neptune, Venus probably gives you some artistic talent--music seems likely.

Oh I am very stubborn that is certainly true lol and the practical material streak I get too.

My Libra planets touch on a lot of my other planets (inclusing my Asc) so I always felt they had an influence on my looks.
Also my Pisces Moon because I have been told by many that it is a very important planet in my chart.

So we really have to avoid the power of suggestion. And good for you that you've questioned the astro-authorities!

A great book on the ASC/DSC axis is Jodie Forrest, The Ascendant. She focuses on how the rising sign affects how we interface with the world and how others percieve us.

Luckily knowing my exact birth time I've always known my Asc but have also always questioned it. So I've never tried to be like it or anything. Thank you lol I tend to question authority a good amount :tongue:

Thank you for the link and the book recommendation too :) that helps a lot.

I am talking here ONLY about signs relative to physical body formation; regarding temperament, personality, emotional tendencies and all the rest, I do follow along with the generally accepted concepts regarding the ascending sign, place of the Sun, Moon, and so on.

Oh I understand dr. farr and thank you again. Guess I'll have some big thinking to do on that! Very interesting and insightful ideas.

and you would think I have dark skin, curly hair and a deep voice, right? Well it turns out that I am very light skinned, have straight hair (not to mention it is dirty blonde), and am actually light to middle toned in voice.

I never expect someone to look exactly like their Asc honestly maybe act although there are some people out there who do look -amazingly- like their Asc. so perhaps it is just strong in their chart.
You sound like a guy I know actually lol he's a Scorp sun and moon but his Asc is Libra.
People almost always compliment me on my speaking voice so that I'm sure is the Taurus showing through. I guess Taurians are suppose to be short so at 5'1" that holds true for me as well and the dark hair/eyes (as I mentioned before) but that is about as far as it goes as to similarities with me and my Asc.

definitely "food for thought" thanks everyone :)

SniperBomber328

Glad I could help somewhat, Nemesis. And I didn't mean the Asc alone would do a lot with appearance, which is why I mentioned the Sun and Moon and their placements in the Houses and Signs, since I have been told that both along with the Asc play a significant role in Appearance.