Why doesn't Astro.com...

Moog

Include the south node on it's charts?

It's a pain in the ****. It's very easy to look at a house and forget that it's there. My brain is only so good

There seems to be no option to add it in either

junoisuppose

.......hmmm

Perhaps you could email them and ask them if they could include it.

Also if you simplify the chart - just include planets not asteroids, fixed stars etc you have more space to see where it is.

Either that, or just remember that you have this tendency to forget it, which will help you to remember, if you see what I mean.

Personally the fact that it's opposite is always easy for me to see, but then I've been told that I'm a visual learner.

Moog

Perhaps you could email them and ask them if they could include it.

I was going to see if I can ask on their forum, but I've forgotten my login... I'll find it tomorrow.

Also if you simplify the chart - just include planets not asteroids, fixed stars etc you have more space to see where it is.

I always use a simple chart, but often I'm looking at charts posted here, where people often throw all kinds of confusing nonsense in, which doesn't help either. :sick:

Either that, or just remember that you have this tendency to forget it, which will help you to remember, if you see what I mean.

That's partly why I posted! Great minds...

Personally the fact that it's opposite is always easy for me to see, but then I've been told that I'm a visual learner.

Perhaps the chap or chapess who made it has a brain that operates more like yours and less like mine.

Though I wonder if not including it may have an effect or symbolism beyond just being annoying to little old me.

junoisuppose

Though I wonder if not including it may have an effect or symbolism beyond just being annoying to little old me.

We should pay more attention to where we're going than where we've come from?

The south node shows talents and resources that we already have or that come to us easily we don't need to think about it?

Going towards our south node is dragging us backwards when real growth is going towards the north node?

dr. farr

Failure to look at the SN can be a real impediment in all forms of astrological delineation, natal, progressed, solar return, elections, horary, composite/synastry: the SN really does point out the potential weakest point, weakest link, achilles heel, in any given astrological situation: that it is not shown in a chart (it is not listed either in the astro.com pdf tablets of declination!!) can and I think, very often DOES, skew chart delineations (of course there are many especially Modernist practitioners who either entirely discount the Nodes, or look at them only as minor or purely "esoteric" elements of a chart-needless to say I consider such an attitude about the Nodes quite unfortunate regarding delineative-not to mention predictive!-accuracy)

kimbermoon

A tip: if you always look at each sign as being part of a polarized axis, pointing to opposition, it should be easy enough to remember where the South Node is in the chart. The South Node is always exactly opposite the North Node, as they tend to work in synastry with each other. In my own work I always consider the South Node to be rather like the Achilles heel of an individual...it relates to past programming that is connected to instinctive and habituated responses that are in need of letting go of. South Node can point out our limitations, and things that hold us back in life, that are in need of resolution and release. By contrast, the North Node is about 'potential developments' we are aiming towards: areas where we may be skilled or talented. Another concept: the South shows where we have been [and are often dependent on] while the North shows 'where we are going'. :cool:

dhundhun

I never thought about it, although South Node (Ketu) is always interpreted in chart. It is always in opposition to North Node (Rahu) and implied to be there.

To me absence of South Node is blessing in disguise, because I am almost always force to look in opposition to North Node. It is almost impossible to skip this.

DSC and IC are also usually not mentioned in chart. They are implied (DSC in opposition to ASC and IC in opposition to MC).

Last edited:

tsmall

Premium Member
I think it's for the same reason you can get a chart with every asteroid known to man (and even some imaginary ones I suppose) but the only Lot they will include is Fortuna. Biased in a certain direction. I'd be happy if they added Spirit, Basis, Necessity and Exaltation. Or just Spirit. But...you get what you pay for, right? ;)

Moog

I know the south node is at the other end of the north node, I just tend to look in a quite focused way at charts, you know, like I don't see the forest for the trees at times.

The software I use myself always features both nodes, so it's only really a problem for me when people post charts here with their data erased.

But apart from my problems with it, I'm also considering people that aren't me.

There's no way I'd give a client a ketu free chart, that would be bizarre.

Also, Astro.com is often the first port of call for people new to astrology to get charts made, so with that in mind, I think not including the south node is a really bad idea.

You guys replying are mainly more advanced and more savvy, and perhaps we forget that astrology is confusing as hell enough when you're just setting out.

tsmall

Premium Member
I hear ya, Moog, and I agree 100%. Ketu is important. As are the lots. And I find the lots a heck of a lot less confusing than a chart with 8,000 asteroids and aspects to all selected...

My point is that, to speak frankly, the astro charts are biased toward a modern delineation, and absolutely neglect the basic essentials for either a traditional Indian or traditional western interpretation.

Moog

That's true. Personally I only ever feel like I've got about 50% of the information I really need to do anything but really simple astrology.

But I don't see the nodes as non-essential for modern style astrology either, so this isn't really about modern v. traditional, it's about getting the absolute basics sorted.

Obviously the site has a very modern slant, but I think the chart maker is a really good thing though overall.

I believe that Chris Brennan managed to get whole sign houses included into the gubbins there so I might attempt some kind of contact to try and sort it out. I'm not a community big wheel though.

tsmall

Premium Member
I believe that Chris Brennan managed to get whole sign houses included into the gubbins there so I might attempt some kind of contact to try and sort it out. I'm not a community big wheel though.

But you could play one on TV. ;)

Give it a try. Maybe a petition?

Moog

But you could play one on TV. ;)

I'm versatile

Give it a try. Maybe a petition?

Hmm, maybe...

A minor googling bought me here;

Why is the South Node not displayed in the charts?

It is unnecessary because the South Node is always 180° opposite the North Node (which is given). Adding the South Node would clutter the chart drawing unnecessarily.

Considering how much extraneous stuff people can potentially cram into the chart (and often do), I'm not sure how the SN adds much more of a visual burden.

I think it would be better if there was a tickbox option to turn ketu off, if you really wanted (but I doubt anyone would want to?), like you can disable the outer planets.

I think putting the outer planets and chiron in the chart clutters it unnecessarily, so I'm grateful that I can disable those guys.