Why do I Take Jokes So Seriously?

Actually I have an amazing sense of humor and laugh a lot of most things but when jokes are directed at me I'll end up taking it very seriously. Even if the joke is stupid and doesn't really mean anything I'll take it seriously either getting very angry or just upset. While most people are able to laugh at themselves when a joke is directed to them, I seem to always take it serious which is why I've become a target for people to joke on. People usually really like me at first but then see this side to me. What is it that makes me take things so seriously?How can I change this? It's so hard not to, because I have so much pride and dignity and I am also very sensitive.

Here is my natal chart:

Attachments

• astro_w2gw_03_cancerianscorpion_hp.4003.27526.gif
    astro_w2gw_03_cancerianscorpion_hp.4003.27526.gif
    28.6 KB · Views: 82

wilsontc

Staff member
your chart, to boi

boi,

Pisces is correct: we do require a person to attempt to interpret their chart before posting other responses. This is so the astrologers have a "jumping off point" to enter the interpretation. So first let us know your background in astrology, any other astrological responses you have had to this question, any questions you have about those other astrological responses, and at least a very basic astrological attempt to answer your own question (if you don't know basic astrology, try looking for some astrological answers on the web and post what you find out).

Needing more info,

Tim

Xapu

Boi,

It's so hard not to, because I have so much pride and dignity and I am also very sensitive.

Oh come on! It's right there in all its obviousness. Read the basics of astrology -at least the signs-, look back at the chart, and it'll be utterly clear. ;) At a glance.

My view is: You take jokes so seriously NOT because of the planets, but because you're too proud and sensitive/insecure. The planets only indicate: this guy is too proud and insecure, this guy will get mad easily, will take things personally, etc, but you can't really blame a natal chart ;)

Love,
Xapu

GeminiSagRising

I see a lot of senstive Cancer in your chart, along with the prideful Leo. You might like to joke about other people, etc. but when it hits home it hurts your pride, you get offended, sensitive, take it the wrong, way, and withdrawl into your shell. I imagine you can't be very much fun when it comes to humor... lighten up!

Nexus7

[comments are for GeminiSagRising's chart - Moderator]

You have a Capricorn Moon too, so here is is a sign strongly emphasised in your chart that is not renowned for enjoying it when the egg is on their face.

But my eye is drawn to the oppositons in your chart from the Uranus/Saturn conjunction rising in your chart, opposing Mercury in the 7th.

A 7th-House Mercury may mean that communication is the glue by which you can learn how to relate to he other best, but then here are those oppositions. Could there be a bit of a tendency to misunderstand the intentions of others and what they are trying to say, or hint at? Could there be a tendency to over-react as a result?

Somehow, there may be a need to slow down, to get a better sense of what is being really said, as opposed to reading either more or less into what is being said.

I don't see Mars in the mix here, but I am sre you know that sometimes, jokes are often used to express hostility without taking responsibility for it: 'I was only joking, heh-heh.' Whilst at other times, the teasing may be perfectly good-natured.

Was there a joker in your family? Did they sometimes use humour as a way of expressing other feelings indirectly? I don't see the Moon or oyur 3rd-House ruler in the mix, but maybe Mercury alone can carry the idea that somehow you tend to attract a lot of Mercurial energy into yor life, and Merury can be slippery with words and with what is meant by those words.

Last edited by a moderator:

wilsontc

Staff member
still need your input, to Boi

Boi,

Although you most likely now have the astrological interpretation you wanted, since all the members above posted their answer without waiting for your response (as our rules require: http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/faq.php in "Threads and Posts"), mostly likely you have no interest in giving any astrological interpretation of your own. On the off-chance you are still willing to follow the rules of this forum (although these members clearly were not willing to do so), please post your astrological thoughts.

Still seeking more info,

Tim

Re: still need your input, to Boi

wilsontc said:
Boi,

Although you most likely now have the astrological interpretation you wanted, since all the members above posted their answer without waiting for your response (as our rules require: http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/faq.php in "Threads and Posts"), mostly likely you have no interest in giving any astrological interpretation of your own. On the off-chance you are still willing to follow the rules of this forum (although these members clearly were not willing to do so), please post your astrological thoughts.

Still seeking more info,

Tim
Sorry, I apologize for not doing this earlier. I feel that it may relate to the strong Leo in my chart (Venus, Mars, and my MC all in conjunction and in Leo). Because of this I feel that It may make people feel as if I have a larger than life kind of personality and it gives off a vibe where they feel "invited" to joke with me when really I end up taking it very seriously. I notice when people do this they look kind of confused as if they were not expecting me to react in a serious manner. I'm just unsure as to where all this serious energy is coming from.

Last edited:

Nexus7

Thanks Munchkin

And whoops: sorry, CancerianBoi and Gemini Sagrising. Looks like my comments are relevant to Geminsagrising's chart, I suppose recently, the role Mercury plays in relationships has been on my mind a little bit recently. Anyway, as somone said, as someone said, it is up to CancerianBoi to do some homework, though you might like to consider the rising Pluto too, Cancerian Boi: how might you understand that?

Last edited:
Hi Cancer,

I think you summed it up well yourself, with Leo planets you have pride and dignity and with your Sun, Moon, Asc in water you are sensitive to other people. R Saturn in Aquarius is a singleton in 3rd and like munchkin pointed out this is an aspect of yourself you take seriously. You may not like to be made the fool of by people's jokes, as you care a lot about how you are perceived by your group/peers. Saturn in Aquarius 3rd is pointing to something about being limited and inadequate in communication on a group level, with Aquarius energy you seek social and intellectual security you have pride in your thoughts through Mercury in Leo and your broad understanding of life/9th -- but your restricted through feeling insecure on the social level because group opinion matters to you deeply(Aquarius 3rd).

Mercury in Leo could be suggesting you take your own opinion too seriously (with Saturn involved), and you can be fixed in your mental patterns, if you didn't care what people thought your ego wouldn't get hurt when people made jokes so it is pointing to something in your character where you need to develop more confindence. Mercury in Leo can take everything personal and I think by developing your detachment in Aquarius (Saturn is about lessons we need to master) and communicating (3rd) on a peer level with people by not taking things too personally or to heart you will strike a balance between your own need for self expression through communicating your own personal beliefs and philosophies (Mercury Leo 9th) as well as communicating with confidence (Leo) when with your peers (Aquarius). it will go someway to relieve the tension. Your outer manner with Pluto may make you appear intense and hidden within yourself, maybe some people want to see your lighter side but your deeply sensitive nature is taking it all personally. :)

Polo

Could be Saturn in the third house.
I know someone with this, and whenever he hears a joke, it's as if his body stops. He can't believe someone tried to be funny.
Anyway, your case is probably not as severe, and you're probably not a jerk. What I noticed, though, is not that you can't stand fun, but that you can't stand anyone targeting jokes at you. Do you feel criticized in some way? You probably rely on self-control too much, so when others try to crack some jokes, you feel you have to grip yourself even tighter.

lalalaheidi87

Hello,

This might have been said already, but your Sun, Moon & rising sign are all watery. Water has the tendency to hold on to emotional states created by other people and the environment longer than a non water person would. And being that you are VERY watery... and as far as sense of humor and jokey-ness, I think youve already got that figured out with your leo midheaven and planets there. This would explain pride and dignity too.

That being said your chart is quite similar to my own... I have scoripo rising with pluto in it, 8th house sun, and stellium in cancer (9th) and I am sensitive to what people say and tend to remember for a long time. My leo is empty though, so thats where the differences end.

a little off topic, but I have to say Shining Ray I love your quote in your signature. beautiful words of truth.

lalalaheidi87

I think its funny, the perticular "ailment" of not liking to be critisized is a very Cancerian quaility... and the name you have chosen to identify yourself with explains the very ailment in question.

It might be interesting for you to look up some information on the cancer/leo cusp (aka the cusp of oscillation), since youre a cancer/leo and all :)

EJ53

Banned
Cancerboi said:
While most people are able to laugh at themselves when a joke is directed to them...

Maybe that strong Leo makes you honest enough to admit openly what "most people" cover up for fear of being seen as "unable to take a joke". Or perhaps it's those who joke at your expense who are insensitive rather than you who is "overly sensitive".

Stop beating yourself up - you're normal. This is an issue that affects almost everyone when young. (I guess that's why someone rated this as a five-star thread even before anyone replied to it.)

EJ:)

Last edited: