Why did you get into astrology?

AspieTaurus

It's part of period of angst I've been in since the spring of '09, starting with the Red River Flood of '09, the mysterious death of my stepdad from Pancreatitis, and a dear friend with cerebral palsy getting raped. Then in October of that year my grandmother died.

Before then I was a stereotypical science-oriented skpetic (right down to having Asperger's Syndrome, LOL) who thought Astrology was a load of BS (I still think "psychic powers", ESP, and the notion of incorporeal souls is a load of hooey *grabs flame suit*). Since then I have been working through a ****-load of repressed emotions and have gotten more into the more humanistic schools of psychology such as Jung's.

I do think there is something to Astrology, I just think it has nothing to do with "spiritual realms" and other such things. :unsure:

Lin

Even at a very young age, "human nature" was a big mystery to me.
It began with mythology....and morphed into astrology when in high school I discovered astrology. Both were fascinating but at that time I just read astrology magazines and 'played' with it. After my divorce I had time for myself, and after my kids went to bed every night I'd start studying and that was the beginning.
Then went to school for it, had some private teachers, began my own research.

NEVER lost my curiousity and fascination for human nature.
LIN

RayAustin

Always had an interest, then once I came to these forums and learned of horary... I had an insatiable desire to learn more. :)

Vagabondgirl

My mum told me about it when I was in my early teens, and my step dad was kind of good at it. So I got curious and started reading alot of books about it! He had moon in scorpio and I have Mercury in scorpio:D

My dad on the other hand is super religious.

Im my spiritual views Im kind of mixed. Yes to science, but ofcourse science has not YET proved everything. "The earth wasnt always round" in other words.

queenfluff

I have always been interested in the "other" than what I was (neptune in Scorpio)- that which I was forbidden to know about in my younger religious upbringing that was shoved down my throat. I remember getting in a bit of trouble because I took out a book on witchcraft from the library.

I have always been into sun sign astrology, more for fun - I liked buying those cute little astro scrolls that came out of the machine next the bubble machines. :)

Let's just say I went from being a devout Christian type (because I thought I had too), to be interested in new age, wiccan, occult, atheism etc. And astrology was always looked as part of all that in my religious upbringing (fakey fortune telling stuff was evil.).

I always wondered throughout my life why it was hard to make friends with strangers etc (Scorpio Rising!) and why all my good friends were mostly water signs. This was basic sun sign observations by me.

I just started getting interested in my whole natal chart this past year. I can say that it has really changed me - it helps me understand me better. I was always really shy and didn't think I had much power to do anything and would stay in the background (Virgo Sun) although less so as I get older (and older). But reading about my placements and aspects - I realize how much power I have. My chart is mostly Fire. I have just recently gotten to understand the fire (Sag) in my chart and how I can use my Scorpio to my advantage. Understanding the squares and Saturn and the North Node has been really mind opening.

Ok, well, I am babbling now. But basically, I got into it firstly to understand myself better and I have a degree in Psych so I love the psychology of personality that astrology entails. So to understand others too. Plus I like knowing I might have secret "insights" into people that they don't realize I have by just knowing their sun sign/chart! haha! It is is like "aha, they don't know I am very psychic (neptune in 1st) and I can read them like a book because I have all these cool astrological insights into you." It's kinda of power trip. :)

serafin5

My mom was a "hippi" and I remember seeing the book "The Complete Astrologer" on our kitchen table as a child. Fast forward 10 yrs. and I saw the exact book in a book store and bought it. I had an identity crises stemming from the fact that I am a cusp b-day and then later I learned I was bi-cultural/racial. Needless to say, never comfortable around too many people, (although kids and animals love me!), I basically taught myself how to cast and aspect charts just from this one book. I'll say truthfully I have never learned so much about astrology in such a short time as I have since joining AW! And I've never had anyone to talk to about astrology since now either. I'll always be the eternal student and truth-seeker (3 planets in Aquarius). Thanks AW!

Serafin5:smile:
0degs.Pis-Sun
Taurus moon
Scorpio Rising

Phil

My mom was a "hippi" and I remember seeing the book "The Complete Astrologer" on our kitchen table as a child.
Is that the one by Derek and Julia Parker? (The New Compleat Astrologer) It was one of the first ones I got years ago...

serafin5

Is that the one by Derek and Julia Parker? (The New Compleat Astrologer) It was one of the first ones I got years ago...

Dear Phil (and Aeryn):

It sure is! My book is so old, tattered, and well loved that I have a large rubber band holding it together!

Serafin5:wink:

SaggieCupcake

When i was younger i found this book by Linda Goodman...and since then ive been hooked on astrology. Ive never been religious and ive allways figured that if i was to get one pray...i wud use it for someone elses account, me i allways manage..:) But generally i love astrology because its a way of learning about other people as many has allaready mentioned in here. To know what people "think, like and want" makes you realise how much goodness but also confusion there is. I really do think that everyone are good by heart but maybe been lost just like i was. As for the present...i love meeting new people and making new friends.

virgo18

I got interested in Horoscopes since I was a little girl and read my horoscope in the newspaper.... then I start searching on the web of my sun sign.:w00t:

Then I quit reading about astrology....:innocent:

Then an astrologer made me a reading of my chart, but with the wrong ascendant. Because I didn't knew well my birth hour.
For three years I thought I was a Scorpio ascendant:w00t:

Then I knew I was a Sagittarius. And then I met a guy (the one with I am right now) and I didn't understand the relationship between both. And then I started exhaustive researches of astrology.:bandit:

Now days I can read most of a natal chart.:pinched:

Moog

I was reading about magic, which led to learning about divination (tarot and runes), then I got interested in astrology through learning about the astrological assignations to the tarot cards.

I was completely skeptical, but have found that astrology is both fascinating and useful.

Last edited:

Aquachime

Hmmm...would you believe school lunch bags? My friend (Uranus) brought her lunch (Moon) to high school (Jupiter) in gimmicky lunch bags. Well it was the early 70s :smile: I learnt I was something called Pisces and was a 2 fished water sign that was compassionate, imaginative & believed. Then at around the same time my mother(Moon) bought books (Jupiter) on astrology (Uranus) from the $2 bin for me. Finally answers...& more & more questions:whistling: It has and will be a life long passion. It has guided me in so many ways as well as helped me help others. I now hold an Astrology Diploma with the FAA and am still learning. So a fated journey it seems. I have Sag Moon conjunct Sag Asc square Uranus in the 10th hse. Venus conjunct Saturn in Aqu. for the love of and dedication to Astrology. Instinctive Moon ruling the research 9th hse and occult 8th hse, 8th hse natural ruler Pluto conjunct Uranus in the 10th hse and opposing Merc intellect. With passionate Mars in the 9th hse motivating my perpetual higher learning and hooking up the Grand Trine aspect with my Sun & Moon, as well as Jupiter ruling my chart....what was a girl to do???:wink:

nuthatch

I knew nothing about it beyond sun signs until about two years ago. I read my horoscopes occasionally, but didn't ever think much about the effects of astrology on the personality. Although I liked performing and always had sort of a fragile, defensive ego, I felt like I was too introverted and logical to be a Leo. Then a friend introduced me to the free natal charts at CafeAstrology, and I was especially intrigued when I learned about rising signs, because I felt like that explained uncannily well the split between my everyday persona and the side of me that my friends got to see. Whenever I got to know people, I'd always hear things like "You always seemed so serious, but you're actually really silly". (Goat rising.)

And then I started doing my own tallying of different peoples' signs (sometimes spending hours and hours on Wikipedia, then making lists and graphs to see what career patterns I could recognize). And I'd start having arguments with my friend when she'd claim to know what different signs were good at, etc--she always laughed at me when I'd send her the graphs I'd made :) She was always like, "which one of us has the Mercury in Virgo again?" I've got Mercury, Sun, and Part of Fortune in 8th house, though, so that might explain the obsessive researcher in me.

So, long story short, I got kind of obsessed; then, after I ordered my chart, I discovered that there were also houses and aspects and all of that, and now I'm trying to learn about that.

Even when I started becoming interested in astrology, as much as I tried to resist the idea that there were astrologically based qualities to people and affinities between people, I eventually couldn't ignore it. There were just way too many for it to be coincidence.

I was also interested to realize that, up until about three years ago, almost ALL my friends and boyfriends were Earth signs. Of the best friends I've had in my life, 2 were Tauruses, 2 were Virgos, and 1 was a Capricorn--as compared to 1 Libra, 1 Leo, and 1 Cancer. Then, I was in a relationship with a Cap for 3 years. In the past 3 years, though, I've only dated Air and Fire signs. Oddly enough, all of those relationships were very brief and very troubled...the Cap was still my most compatible partner, and we're still great friends. So I certainly don't buy the popular oversimplification that people should only date within their polarity--it's way more complicated than that.

Last edited:

serafin5

Hmmm...would you believe school lunch bags? My friend (Uranus) brought her lunch (Moon) to high school (Jupiter) in gimmicky lunch bags. Well it was the early 70s :smile: I learnt I was something called Pisces and was a 2 fished water sign that was compassionate, imaginative & believed. Then at around the same time my mother(Moon) bought books (Jupiter) on astrology (Uranus) from the $2 bin for me. Finally answers...& more & more questions:whistling: It has and will be a life long passion. It has guided me in so many ways as well as helped me help others. I now hold an Astrology Diploma with the FAA and am still learning. So a fated journey it seems. I have Sag Moon conjunct Sag Asc square Uranus in the 10th hse. Venus conjunct Saturn in Aqu. for the love of and dedication to Astrology. Instinctive Moon ruling the research 9th hse and occult 8th hse, 8th hse natural ruler Pluto conjunct Uranus in the 10th hse and opposing Merc intellect. With passionate Mars in the 9th hse motivating my perpetual higher learning and hooking up the Grand Trine aspect with my Sun & Moon, as well as Jupiter
ruling my chart....what was a girl to do???:wink:

What indeed???!!!:tongue:

Ixaee

When I was about 14, I had a friend who's aunt liked astrology.. so she gave my friend Linda Goodman's Star Signs book to read. One day while sleeping over, I saw it jammed under her bed... completely unread and ignored... and I began reading through it.

To my surprise, I fell absolutely in love! I couldnt put it down .... my friend gave it to me since she didnt want it anyway and Ive been studying astrology ever since (many years later, lol). :love:

Matto

I've been interested in astrology pretty much ever since I can remember. My mother has a friend who I was around a lot in childhood, and she was into astrology so it sparked an interest in me. I think it's an exciting thing, it helps you understand yourself and others better.