Which is more powerful: Conjunctions or planets in the first house?

Jonabay

Here is a person with Pisces Ascendant.
They have Aries sun, Aries mercury, and Saturn Pisces in the 1st house.
Venus Pisces in the 12 house.
Venus and Saturn Conjunct ascendant.

Which is the most prominent placement?
What has the most influence on their physical appearance?
what would effect their personality the most?

JUPITERASC

fwiw IMO since there is no chart to refer to, then that would entirely depend on the particular astrologers' preferred method of reading a chart Jonabay :smile:

For example, using traditional delineation and whole sign houses:
(1) Venus and Saturn conjunct Pisces Ascendant are both 1st whole sign house planets and strongly placed because they are both angular and conjunct the ascendant. Venus is particularly strong because Venus is exalted in Pisces whereas Saturn has dignity by term only in the last 4[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]º[/FONT] in Pisces and if not located there, then to avoid being peregrine must be in the first 10[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]º[/FONT][FONT=Times New Roman, serif] of Pisces. Saturn however debilitates Venus. [/FONT]

(2) Aries Sun and Aries Mercury are conjunct in 2nd whole sign succedent house and therefore not as strongly placed.

(3) Since Jupiter traditionally is the domicile ruler of Pisces then an important consideration is the whole sign house as well as the sign placement of Jupiter plus any aspects made by Jupiter to Venus/Saturn.

(4) Similarly, since Mars traditionally is the domicile ruler of Aries, another consideration is the whole sign house as well as the sign placement of Mars plus any aspects made by Mars to Aries Sun/Aries Mercury conjunction.

dr. farr

Another consideration would be IF the conjuncting planets (in longitude) are Parallel in declination: if so then it is a strong conjunction, if not, if in fact the declinations of the involved planets are on opposite sides of the N/S line, then the conjunction would be quite weak.

tautomer

Actually being able to *see* the chart would make it easier to sort out what is going on.

Per your question. It really depends on what's going on elsewhere in the chart. I generally think that conjunctions have a stronger influence then first house placements stand alone. However, that's not always the case. In particular if the first house planets are conjunct the ascendent.

My pluto is in the first house, and it's conjunct my moon (which is in the second). Because of that, pluto has a major influence in my chart. If it were not for it's conjunction to my moon, it would have a weaker influence. Surely it would not be classified above other major conjunctions elsewhere in my chart.

In the end, it alllllll depends on the exact situation (just like almost anything else in astrology).

Venus and Saturn and the Ascendant in conjunction? Oh, that's powerful. The Venus and Saturn conjunction in itself is intriguing, making heavy duty a piece of cake and joy an obligation. On the Ascendant, they are immediately perceivable to others as a person committed to delight and unashamed of it - well, demanding it.
It depends on the Zodiac sign, of course, as well as on the orbs of the aspects. But no doubt, I would focus a lot on this conjunction when reading the chart.

Stefan Stenudd
http://www.horoscoper.net

M

may28gemini

I go by whole signs system and as far as I'm concerned, the person (you perhaps?) have just Venus conjunct Saturn in the first house. I'm inclined to say that the conjunction to your ascendant has the bigger influence to your physical appearance than just mere planets in the house.