Which house rules social media?

mercuryforward

Hi guys! I’m about to post a chart that I already created, that is focused on a question about social media. I saw that email has been discussed recently and it was determined that it is ruled by the 3rd house. But because social media platforms are so much broader in scope, sort of the difference between small day trips (3rd house) and travel to another country (9th house), I’m wondering, might the 9th be correct, or maybe the 11th which has much of the flavor of Aquarius?

What do you all think? I really would appreciate your input on this so I can have a crack at interpreting the chart first and offer my own analysis which I think is what we’re supposed to do in this forum, right?

Than you.

ChevyD

My opinion is that Eleventh house is best for social media.
Eleventh house rules friends, groups, social activities etc. I am not well versed in horary just going from my understanding of the houses.
Yes post your interpretation then hopefully someone will come along and help you. Good luck (y)

bluerosepetals

I would say 11th house as well, although segments of it can be ruled by 3rd house (communication) and 9th house (sharing of ideas). Heck, some aspects of it can even be 1st and 5th house matters (self-image, creativity, self-representation etc.). However, social media as a concept is an 11th house matter.

ElenaJ

You've certainly posed an interesting question!
We can't refer to the traditional and historic sources, starting with Lilly, to help us on this one!
The 3rd house rules communication. It rules the telephone and postal services.
So, if we telephone a friend, is that then an 11th house matter? Or if we telephone about a job offer, is it then a 10th house matter?
We can receive letters from overseas, but would they then become 9th house subjects?
Do we use social media fundamentally to make friends and connect, or do we use it to communicate?
Is Twitter or TikToc used for forming friendships? What about **** sites? Are those then 8th house?
To not mention terrorist groups or political postings.
So, do we classify it by the nature of its utility, or by our use of it, which could vary?
I tend to think that 3rd house is the most suitable placement for social media, and in the case of a specific chart question, then other pertinent house would be brought into the equation.

LunarLioness00

Account Closed
Not sure if this will help but here is it incase it does

JUPITERASC

You've certainly posed an interesting question!
We can't refer to the traditional and historic sources, starting with Lilly, to help us on this one!
The 3rd house rules communication. It rules the telephone and postal services.
So, if we telephone a friend, is that then an 11th house matter? Or if we telephone about a job offer, is it then a 10th house matter?
We can receive letters from overseas, but would they then become 9th house subjects?
Do we use social media fundamentally to make friends and connect, or do we use it to communicate?
Is Twitter or TikToc used for forming friendships? What about **** sites? Are those then 8th house?
To not mention terrorist groups or political postings.
So, do we classify it by the nature of its utility, or by our use of it, which could vary?
I tend to think that 3rd house is the most suitable placement for social media, and in the case of a specific chart question, then other pertinent house would be brought into the equation.
Main Rulerships 3rd House :)
Letters, rumours, reports, messages and messengers.
Communications generally.
Newspapers, magazines, telephones, postal service.
source Deborah Houlding, Skyscript

mercuryforward

Wow you guys are great! Thank you so much for your input!

And thanks for the link, Elena, I will definitely take a look.

I tried to find the answer among the great LIVING astrologers since Lilly isn’t talking, and you know, it’s so weird that none of them address this when they talk about the spheres of influence if the twelve houses. It’s as if social media didn’t exist. (When they’re probably on those platforms themselves, for all I know, lol.)

Anyway, the question came up about the issue at hand, and that it might be involving the 3rd house. But no, the issue is really social media as a whole, in general, as a thing. So it looks to me also like the 11th house.

But I came across something Anthony Louis says in “Horary Astrology Plain and Simple” - that most issues have a natural planetary ruler. (Which to my mind is definitely Uranus in this case.) And that “sometimes the natural ruler wil provide the answer when the house cups do not. In addition, natural rulers will confirm the answers given by the houses.”

That’s interesting.

I’ll be posting the chart in a little while (provided I can figure out how). I was actually looking at someone else’s chart and tried to answer his question, which was fun. Answering my own question, not so much fun, lol.

ElenaJ

Lookin

I tried to find the answer among the great LIVING astrologers since Lilly isn’t talking, and you know, it’s so weird that none of them address this when they talk about the spheres of influence if the twelve houses. It’s as if social media didn’t exist. (When they’re probably on those platforms themselves, for all I know, lol.)

Anyway, the question came up about the issue at hand, and that it might be involving the 3rd house. But no, the issue is really social media as a whole, in general, as a thing. So it looks to me also like the 11th house.

But I came across something Anthony Louis says in “Horary Astrology Plain and Simple” - that most issues have a natural planetary ruler. (Which to my mind is definitely Uranus in this case.) And that “sometimes the natural ruler wil provide the answer when the house cups do not. In addition, natural rulers will confirm the answers given by the houses.”

That’s interesting.

I’ll be posting the chart in a little while (provided I can figure out how). I was actually looking at someone else’s chart and tried to answer his question, which was fun. Answering my own question, not so much fun, lol.

That’s interesting.

Look forward to seeing the chart. Thanks for the thanks but it was actually LunarLioness who posted the link!

mercuryforward

This chart is concerning my question - you’re going to laugh at this - “Should I take the plunge into social media.” That’s my question. It is particularly geared toward places that vacuum up people’s data like there’s no tomorrow, and it crawls with haters who will hate, no matter what. Plus, cancel culture. I mean, it’s a mess out there, right?

But - big but here: there is also some positive stuff regarding even FB. Practically anybody who has a sidehustle, who has an online store, a blog, or whatever, is also on those platforms, and for good reason. A lot of networking is going on there, advertising, people are buying and selling on Marketplace, even finding apartments, or a new dog walker. I increasingly feel that staying off social media is on some level committing self sabotage.

Just by way of explanation, my natal Uranus is in my 12th house, squaring my MC, and from past experience, yes, there are “secret enemies” out there, and seemingly inexplicable hostility. It’s something I’ve been dealing with all my life, so…

The chart which IS valid was drawn when I suddenly felt unusually optimistic and I said to myself I should just do it and it will be ok.

But one look at the chart told me otherwise. (Then again, even with lots of experience, I’m not sure it’s ever a good idea to analyze one’s own chart, at least not without outside input.)

So, my significator is Mercury, and we see right away it’s squared at the MC by my ASC and Part of Fortune in the 1st house. (Astrodienst wouldn’t show these squares even though I adjusted it in the settings. Some glitch I guess. So I added them myself, somewhat crudely lol.)

The issue at hand, as we discussed, is probably best represented in this case by the 11th house, signified by the Moon.

Moon and Jupiter are conjunct in the 7th house (other people?) squaring the Sun at 0 degrees. Zero degrees is what happens when, according to Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson, a planet is “at the end of its rope.” Which fits because Sun rules the 12th here, the house of secret enemies that I am tired of concerning myself with.

The problem is that Moon and Jupiter are *squaring* this Sun. Moon and Jupiter are problematic in that they convey optimism that isn’t necessarily going to realize what’s expected. In addition, to make things worse, look where the Moon has just been! It just passed over Neptune. The horror! Now I know for sure that this Moon is delusional and has probably infected Jupiter as well. (I have Moon-Neptune squared in my natal chart.)

As far as Uranus which concerns technology and innovation and could be co-ruler of social media, it’s not doing much. I consider Uranus not aspected by anything. The orb is way too big to connect it with Saturn.

The most I might get out of a foray into those platforms might be a learning experience (Venus in 9th house) in FB groups (that’s nothing to sneeze at), trine Pluto in 5th, ruling 3rd. Then again, Pluto is retrograde, so who knows.
72625E99-2BAC-4066-BECC-10CED7959C27.jpeg

ElenaJ

You don't qualify in what way you are asking about "joining" social media?
Are you talking about opening a Facebook page, or doing a blog on a subject that interests you, or are you thinking of a way to make money?
Depending on what you aim to achieve, this would effect the house(s) that is involved.

sinhtheslumberingdragon

This chart is concerning my question - you’re going to laugh at this - “Should I take the plunge into social media.” That’s my question. It is particularly geared toward places that vacuum up people’s data like there’s no tomorrow, and it crawls with haters who will hate, no matter what. Plus, cancel culture. I mean, it’s a mess out there, right?

But - big but here: there is also some positive stuff regarding even FB. Practically anybody who has a sidehustle, who has an online store, a blog, or whatever, is also on those platforms, and for good reason. A lot of networking is going on there, advertising, people are buying and selling on Marketplace, even finding apartments, or a new dog walker. I increasingly feel that staying off social media is on some level committing self sabotage.

Just by way of explanation, my natal Uranus is in my 12th house, squaring my MC, and from past experience, yes, there are “secret enemies” out there, and seemingly inexplicable hostility. It’s something I’ve been dealing with all my life, so…

The chart which IS valid was drawn when I suddenly felt unusually optimistic and I said to myself I should just do it and it will be ok.

But one look at the chart told me otherwise. (Then again, even with lots of experience, I’m not sure it’s ever a good idea to analyze one’s own chart, at least not without outside input.)

So, my significator is Mercury, and we see right away it’s squared at the MC by my ASC and Part of Fortune in the 1st house. (Astrodienst wouldn’t show these squares even though I adjusted it in the settings. Some glitch I guess. So I added them myself, somewhat crudely lol.)

The issue at hand, as we discussed, is probably best represented in this case by the 11th house, signified by the Moon.

Moon and Jupiter are conjunct in the 7th house (other people?) squaring the Sun at 0 degrees. Zero degrees is what happens when, according to Ivy Goldstein-Jacobson, a planet is “at the end of its rope.” Which fits because Sun rules the 12th here, the house of secret enemies that I am tired of concerning myself with.

The problem is that Moon and Jupiter are *squaring* this Sun. Moon and Jupiter are problematic in that they convey optimism that isn’t necessarily going to realize what’s expected. In addition, to make things worse, look where the Moon has just been! It just passed over Neptune. The horror! Now I know for sure that this Moon is delusional and has probably infected Jupiter as well. (I have Moon-Neptune squared in my natal chart.)

As far as Uranus which concerns technology and innovation and could be co-ruler of social media, it’s not doing much. I consider Uranus not aspected by anything. The orb is way too big to connect it with Saturn.

The most I might get out of a foray into those platforms might be a learning experience (Venus in 9th house) in FB groups (that’s nothing to sneeze at), trine Pluto in 5th, ruling 3rd. Then again, Pluto is retrograde, so who knows.
View attachment 91424
If the account is for Career purposes, the 10th shows its a good idea.

The moon doesnt actually square the sun - the sun ingressed into cancer after the moon, so the square never happened

Jupiter who the moon is joined to does square the sun, but with perfection reception

Sun is naturally honours, and Jupiter recieved an aspect from both moon and you

So maybe its showing you might gain something, but it will be somewhat difficult.

mercuryforward

You don't qualify in what way you are asking about "joining" social media?
Are you talking about opening a Facebook page, or doing a blog on a subject that interests you, or are you thinking of a way to make money?
Depending on what you aim to achieve, this would effect the house(s) that is involved.
I’m thinking of Marketplace, and FB groups.

mercuryforward

The moon doesnt actually square the sun - the sun ingressed into cancer after the moon, so the square never happened

Jupiter who the moon is joined to does square the sun, but with perfection reception

So maybe its showing you might gain something, but it will be somewhat difficult.
Not sure I understand: “the moon doesn’t square the sun” because why? The sun escaped? It’s not predictive in the sense that the moon needs to complete a last aspect before leaving the sign it’s in, but I wasn’t looking at it in this way. I was interpreting it as a square like any other square.

Sun is naturally honors? Do we look at it this way in horary? I’m asking, because to me these planets are all representatives of the houses that they rule. And a debilitated Sun is probably not associated with honor?

mercuryforward

Also, how is it a good idea if the 10th is squared by my ASC and Part of Fortune?

So maybe its showing you might gain something, but it will be somewhat difficult

sinhtheslumberingdragon

Also, how is it a good idea if the 10th is squared by my ASC and Part of Fortune?
The midhaven naturally squares ac so idk why this would be a negative

POF in 1st is very lucky but not exactly relevant to this.
Not sure I understand: “the moon doesn’t square the sun” because why? The sun escaped? It’s not predictive in the sense that the moon needs to complete a last aspect before leaving the sign it’s in, but I wasn’t looking at it in this way. I was interpreting it as a square like any other square.

Sun is naturally honors? Do we look at it this way in horary? I’m asking, because to me these planets are all representatives of the houses that they rule. And a debilitated Sun is probably not associated with honor?
I wouldn't consider that aspect because the moon entered aries before the sun entered cancer - when sun entered cancer moon was already passed the square aspect, it's separating if that makes sense

I do always look at the natural significators yes