Was astrology created to benefit people?

JUPITERASC

I should have pointed out the contradiction in the statement that it was invented and then saying that it had already existed and that it was brought into existence as like how channeling works.

It was brought into recorded form, communicative form, illustrated form, from the minds that perceived its existence. Man didn't invent it, no more than man invented how a child is conceived [naturally of course] we didn't invent a blue coloured sky, we didn't invent the wetness of water, or that it turns solid at a certain temperature.

The only thing we have invented as far as any of that is concerned is an arrogance from believing it needs us to exist.
excellent point, well made :smile:

sentR89day

I don't know I just know that it has benefitted me!
Although with my Saturn conjunct Uranus, I feel like my experience with astrology (Uranus) is delayed (Saturn)!
I guess astrology (Uranus) has gave me structure (Saturn)!

johnwilliams

Astrology is an ancient practice that is based on the belief that the position and movements of celestial objects can influence human affairs and the natural world. The origins of astrology are unclear, but it is thought to have been practiced by various civilizations around the world for thousands of years.

Whether astrology was created to benefit people is a matter of debate. Some people believe that astrology was created to help people understand themselves and their place in the world and provide guidance and insight into their lives. Others argue that astrology was created as a way to control people, by making them feel that their fate is predetermined and that they have no control over their lives.

Despite its origins, astrology continues to be popular today, with many people turning to horoscopes and astrological readings for guidance and advice. Some people find comfort in the idea that the movements of the planets and stars can provide insight into their lives, while others dismiss astrology as pseudoscience and superstition.

Ultimately, whether astrology was created to benefit people is a matter of interpretation. While some people find it helpful and meaningful, others may find it unhelpful or even harmful. As with any belief system, it is up to each individual to decide whether astrology is a valuable tool or not.

Last edited:

david starling

Astrology is an ancient practice that is based on the belief that the position and movements of celestial objects can influence human affairs and the natural world. The origins of astrology are unclear, but it is thought to have been practiced by various civilizations around the world for thousands of years.

Whether astrology was created to benefit people is a matter of debate. Some people believe that astrology was created to help people understand themselves and their place in the world and provide guidance and insight into their lives. Others argue that astrology was created as a way to control people, by making them feel that their fate is predetermined and that they have no control over their lives.

Despite its origins, astrology continues to be popular today, with many people turning to horoscopes and astrological readings for guidance and advice. Some people find comfort in the idea that the movements of the planets and stars can provide insight into their lives, while others dismiss astrology as pseudoscience and superstition. [deleted spam link - Moderator]

Ultimately, whether astrology was created to benefit people is a matter of interpretation. While some people find it helpful and meaningful, others may find it unhelpful or even harmful. As with any belief system, it is up to each individual to decide whether astrology is a valuable tool or not.

The goddess of the Heavens and Muse of astronomy and astrology, Ourania (Urania in Latin) was literally worshipped in both ancient Greece and Rome by those studying the celestial objects and in need of inspiration.

As a Muse, Urania was under the jurisdiction of the "most Greek of the gods", Apollo. His temple was inscribed Know Thyself. The Romans didn't change Apollo's name, or Ourania's, except for dropping the "O".

JUPITERASC

Astrology is an ancient practice

predates Ancient Greeks/Romans

that is based on the belief that the position and movements of celestial objects can influence human affairs and the natural world. The origins of astrology are unclear, but it is thought to have been practiced by various civilizations around the world for thousands of years.

origins of astrology are indeed debateable :)
Whether astrology was created to benefit people is a matter of debate.
Indeed

Some people believe that astrology was created to help people understand themselves and their place in the world and provide guidance and insight into their lives.

Others argue that astrology was created as a way to control people, by making them feel that their fate is predetermined and that they have no control over their lives.

Despite its origins, astrology continues to be popular today, with many people turning to horoscopes and astrological readings for guidance and advice. Some people find comfort in the idea that the movements of the planets and stars can provide insight into their lives, while others dismiss astrology as pseudoscience and superstition. [deleted spam link - Moderator]
astrology is definitely popular

Ultimately, whether astrology was created to benefit people is a matter of interpretation.
Quite

While some people find it helpful and meaningful, others may find it unhelpful or even harmful. As with any belief system, it is up to each individual to decide whether astrology is a valuable tool or not.

Salena Jane

Astrology is an ancient practice that dates back thousands of years and has been used by many cultures throughout history. It has been used for various purposes, including understanding the cycles of nature, predicting celestial events, and providing guidance and insight into personal and collective experiences.
In many spiritual and philosophical traditions, including Vedic and Western astrology, the primary purpose of astrology is to help individuals understand their place in the world and to provide insight into their strengths, challenges, and opportunities for growth and self-discovery. Astrology is also often used to understand and navigate life transitions, such as career changes, relationships, and significant life events.
While astrology is often viewed as a tool for personal growth and understanding, it's important to note that not all astrologers or interpretations of astrology have the same goals or intentions. Some individuals may use astrology for more superficial purposes, such as entertainment or personal gain, while others may use it to manipulate or deceive others.

david starling

Astrology only benefits a person if they're objective.

If they're objective about astrology being subjective. What works for one, may not work for another. "Know Thyself" is inscribed at the entrance to the Temple of Apollo, the god of healing, who was associated with the Muse of Astrology.

The Muse of astrology/astronomy is the inspirational "Goddess of the Heavens", Urania, OUR Muse. I personally consider :uranus: as the planet of Urania, since she inspired its discovery as a new astrological planet--Uran, for the abbreviated name, meaning "of the Heavens".

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member

“The Muses were the Greek goddesses of poetic inspiration, the adored deities of song, dance, and memory, on whose mercy the creativity, wisdom and insight of all artists and thinkers depended. They may have been originally three in number, but, according to Hesiod and the prevailing tradition he established, most commonly they are depicted as the nine daughters of Zeus and Mnemosyne.

Family and Dwelling Places
Hesiod says that the Muses were daughters of Zeus and the Titaness Mnemosyne, the Goddess of Memory; most authors seem to agree with him.

However, two ancient lyric poets, claim otherwise: according to Theognis, their father was indeed Zeus, but their mother was actually Harmonia,

while according to Alcman, the Muses were, in fact, daughters of Uranus and Gaea. Some later authors have even tried to reconcile the stories, proposing two different generations of Muses.

Most commonly, it was thought that the Muses were born in Pieria at the foot of Mount Olympus, so they were often called either Olympian or Pierian Muses. However, Mount Helicon in Boeotia was a place they certainly held dear to their hearts, since it was here that Hesiod met them and was inspired by them to write “The Theogony.” Unsurprisingly, they are referred to as “Heliconian Muses” in the first verse of that glorious poem.”

The original purpose of astrology, on the other hand, was to inform the individual of the course of his life on the basis of the positions of the planets and of the zodiacal signs (the 12 astrological constellations) at the moment of his birth or conception.

leomoon

Hi everyone,

To my limited understanding, most if not all occult knowledge, including astrology, comes from Hermes, the legendary figure who is knows as Idris the prophet in Islamic tradition. He is one of the prophets, that like Jesus, did not die and ascended to heaven directly.

The way I understand the world, everything is interconnected. And the microcosm match the macrocosm perfectly. So when we say Saturn does evil, we mean that its position coincides with evil happenings.

Truly,
Mohammad
That is also my understanding, although he was one who came under other names in other times too. In Western lore, we know him as Hermes. l temples to Hermes (Mercury) were constructed across the Roman Empire,

david starling

Apollo and the 9 Muses included Apollo's motto on his temple, "Know Thyself", and the Muse "Ourania/Urania", goddess of the Heavens. Urania was worshipped by astrologers and astronomers in search of inspiration. Apollo was also the foremost Greco/Roman god of prophecy.

JUPITERASC

"..Unearthing the origin of the zodiac reveals secrets
that are not only pertinent to the history of astrology,
but reflect upon religious beliefs and cultural traditions

that remain at the very heart of modern day life.." Deborah Houlding

ass_astrolabe.gif

In its beginnings :)
the zodiac was
a convenient celestial measuring device

unrelated to astrological activity.

Babylonian astronomical diaries dated to the middle of the 6th century BC
show it was being used at that time for the recording of astronomical data,
yet observation of the effects of the planets for astrological purposes

continued to be related to the visible constellations

AstroPerson

where astrology CAME from?
I find that really interesting, because there're several theories and explanations:
For example, a theory I find really interesting (although I remain skeptical of religious matters), is impregnated in the ex-biblical book "Enoch" (was a part of the Deuterocanon but was removed due to various reasons), which, in summary, states that Astrology (along with other many studies/sciences/pseudosciences like Math, Telekinesis, Tarot, etcetera) was "whispered" (revealed) to the humanity by the fallen angels which revealed against God's regime, so this sacred tools for the world's inner-workings understanding aren't a secret anymore, and so, humanity would be so powerful that God would have to "chastise" humanity, just as he did with the fallen angels, in a form of revenge.

Another interesting facet of this, is how an astrological system could be found in each part of the world, developing around the same time, with very similar elements and mechanics despite the lack of communication between these cultures (for example, almost every Astrology has 12 signs, and, if put in order of appearance in the calendar, many of them are quite similar to Greek Astrology's descriptions, for example, the 12th sign of Aztec Astrology, the Dog, represent a sensitive and dreamer persons, resemblant to Pisces).

david starling

The Babylonian astrologers who established the 12 zodiacal constellations much as we know them today around 2000 B.C. were of the Sumerian line of astrology, with Inanna/Ishtar as the "Queen of the Heavens", now known as the planet Venus. It began in the Tigris Euphrates Valley, along with cuneiform recordkeeping, around 3500 B.C.

But, knowledge of precession is the most ancient feature of astrology, predating a 12-sign Zodiac by many thousands of years.

AstroPerson

The most ancient form of Astrology which doesn't have 12 signs (if I do recall correctly. Please correct me if I'm wrong), is Druid Astrology (AKA Celtic "Tree" Astrology), which has 22 (ancient) or 13 (modern) signs/"trees", along with another difference from other Astrological systems: ancient one is based in the date of conception, not of birth. 🤔

Opal

Premium Member
I find that really interesting, because there're several theories and explanations:
For example, a theory I find really interesting (although I remain skeptical of religious matters), is impregnated in the ex-biblical book "Enoch" (was a part of the Deuterocanon but was removed due to various reasons), which, in summary, states that Astrology (along with other many studies/sciences/pseudosciences like Math, Telekinesis, Tarot, etcetera) was "whispered" (revealed) to the humanity by the fallen angels which revealed against God's regime, so this sacred tools for the world's inner-workings understanding aren't a secret anymore, and so, humanity would be so powerful that God would have to "chastise" humanity, just as he did with the fallen angels, in a form of revenge.

Another interesting facet of this, is how an astrological system could be found in each part of the world, developing around the same time, with very similar elements and mechanics despite the lack of communication between these cultures (for example, almost every Astrology has 12 signs, and, if put in order of appearance in the calendar, many of them are quite similar to Greek Astrology's descriptions, for example, the 12th sign of Aztec Astrology, the Dog, represent a sensitive and dreamer persons, resemblant to Pisces).
On that note, to those that have looked into the different systems, it is of interest that validity can be found in all of the systems. The same stars for instance, Algol, may have a different name, but the essence of the star remains the same.

The Bible also, holds interesting astrological data. :)

Opal

Premium Member
The most ancient form of Astrology which doesn't have 12 signs (if I do recall correctly. Please correct me if I'm wrong), is Druid Astrology (AKA Celtic "Tree" Astrology), which has 22 (ancient) or 13 (modern) signs/"trees", along with another difference from other Astrological systems: ancient one is based in the date of conception, not of birth. 🤔
This is a hard one. We cannot go back far enough to prove how old astrology is, or how many times it has been lost and revived. It could be recycled, and recycled and recycled, making it impossible for us to determine its origin, or the reason for its existence.

If for instance there was a catastrophic event, and tomorrow, the computers died, and survival was more important, there would be small pockets of literature on different subjects, remaining to start to rebuild say architecture, electricity and astrology.

As we had tribes or clans that were aware of the Dark Star, or Sirius, there would again be knowledge lost and knowledge refound, throughout the cycles of the Precession of the Equinoxes. So again, there will be tribes or clans.

Opal

Premium Member
wouldnt it actually make sense if it was based on date of conception. i mean isnt that the actual starting point of our existence
Some systems do. Even in Western the MC also represents your Conception. Tad Mann's system, you can see what your parents faced in and around your conception to your birth, by the planets in between them. If you know what was going on in their lives, it can usually be seen, in your chart.

david starling

wouldnt it actually make sense if it was based on date of conception. i mean isnt that the actual starting point of our existence

That would be the mother's chart for when she began her ordeal. It could predict the effect of the pregnancy and birth on her physical and mental health, and whether she could successfully carry to term. In the U.S., about 25 percent of pregnancies result in miscarriages!

In theory, the #1 thing to avoid if possible would be a conception-chart with the Moon void-of-course.

Last edited: