Virgo - Mutable - At Mercy of Environment

dragon03201978

Of the 4 Mutable Signs, Virgo seems to be the least mutable. I am sure I am biased in this, because my Sun is in Pisces, and her lack of mutability frequently depresses me. Yet, I am hoping to accomplish three goals in this post. First, for us to actually share our opinions on this sign. Please note, sharing is a give-and-take relationship. It means doing one's best to not discount other people's points of view. Second, for us to better understand how her environment influences her to strengthen her inner reserves. Thirdly, for I to weed out the parts of my understanding of her by sharing my mildly researched knowledge.

I know her favorite action is analysis. What she analyzes and how she goes about this influences her. As she learns to use certain items and work with others, her analysis changes. As it changes, so does she. Yet, at the opposite extreme, thanks to her being an Earth sign, she does a great job of standing her ground as she moves towards a goal. Perhaps this determination is what makes her a feminine sign. In "The Only Astrology Book You Will Ever Need", there are two buzzwords that describe this half of the zodiac. Firstly, they are strong through inner reserves. Secondly, they have a tendency to be introverted.

From what I have learned thanks to psychology there are two ways of recognizing an introverted person. The first one is well known. If someone gains energy by being alone, then they are introverted. The second way is by imagining a badly organized room full of chairs. Those chairs make it hard to sit in the center of the room. If someone is extroverted, they move the chairs out of the way to sit in the center. However, an introverted person may walk on the desks or otherwise dodge the chairs. In effect, they plan on how to keep the room as it is. This plan and its execution change the person just enough that they reach the goal. All of this is applicable to Virgo. I get that this describes her inner world.

Just recently, I wrote a book. Its name is Gemini's Numerology. In it, I learned how to find Virgo's Soul's Urge, Outer Expression, and Full Name. Her Outer Expression is 2. One of 2's hallmarks is needing time in a natural setting to find peace. The closest I can come to apply this wisdom to Virgo is noting how she needs a pet in her life. While I am sure there are plenty of Sun in Virgo people that go on hikes through the park, paint still-life pictures, and do other activities that involve mother nature, imagining this is somewhat awkward for me.

How would you go about describing how she interacts with the world? Would you include your relationship with someone who has Virgo in their natal chart? Thank you for helping us weed out the chaff in our inner reserves.

Lin

I also am a bit confused about this premise. I am not sure what you mean by "environment"....weather? Place where one lives?

Mutable is mutable...someone who is less mutable would have other planets, placements and strengths which are more Cardinal and Fixed....
I have a Mercury controlled 10th house including my Mars in Virgo and N.Node conj on my MC.

I am a Leo (9th house) and Scorpio rising... but due to 3 Gemini planets Mercury rules my chart...as it rules 5 planets, my n. node and POF>

I'm pretty mutable...i think of myself as a stoic. I have had to roll with the punches,as the saying goes....most people do this...or they don't survive.

Mars rules my 6th house...and is in my 10th....so....it has a lot to do with my work and my bodily functions. Which are relatively normal as I am a healthy person. I owe my vigilance re my health to my Mars in Virgo.

How this fits in with your OP .....I don't know.
I do like to finish jobs I start.... most of the time I do...so...again, how am I more "at the mercy of my environment?"

LIN

Osamenor

Staff member
Who's "she"? Do you mean the sign of Virgo itself? Or are you talking about a particular person with a Virgo Sun?

As for Virgo being the least mutable of the mutable signs, Virgo is mutable earth. Earth has a very stable, grounded, grounding quality. It's the least mutable of the elements. Mutable earth is almost an oxymoron.

What Virgo has in common with the other mutable signs is being thoroughly process oriented. Virgo's true purpose is to always be in the process of perfecting something. Never perfect, always perfecting. Hence the description of Virgo as the perfectionist.

Being an earth sign gives Virgo the focus and perseverance to work that process, independently of any distractions.

Says the person with Mercury and Venus in Virgo.

dragon03201978

Hopefully, this post does a better job of clarifying things. It seems like I have a great tendency of confusing those who would answer my questions. With some luck and even more importantly perseverance we ought to overcome this challenge. Firstly, do your best to talk in terms of the signs. Then talk about the planets (or what I prefer to call Heavenly Bodies, because the Sun and Moon are both Heavenly Bodies. Yet they are not planets.)

If we speak purely about the signs, then each sign falls into three categories: polarity, mode, and element. For example, Pisces' polarity is most likely to be described as "she". She is strong through inner reserves. There are 5 other signs that would also be described as "she". The entire list of signs that fall in this polarity are Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, and Pisces. The second half of this polarity use the pronoun "he". Yet, they are defined by being strong through action. The signs included in this polarity are Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, and Aquarius.

Next there are 4 elements: Fire, Earth, Air, and Water. Each element includes three signs. Using the earlier example of Virgo, she is a she, because she is strong through inner reserves. Yes, in my original post, she refers to the sign of Virgo. Using this definition, Virgo is strong through inner reserves. Given this definition Virgo is a "she". Secondly, when it comes to her element, she is one of three Earth signs. To complete the lists for each element, let us start with the first sign. He is Aries. Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius are Fire signs.

Then there are 3 Earth signs. They are Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn. As a result of Taurus being the second sign, I believe Earth ought to follow Fire, just as Taurus follows Aries. If this acceptable here in this forum, then Air ought to follow Earth.

Air just like the previously two mentioned elements, also has 3 signs: Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius. All the Air and Fire signs are strong through action. If all the signs that are strong through inner reserves are acceptably referred to as "she", then it makes sense (hopefully to more than just myself) that all the signs strong through action, ought to be acceptably refereed to as "he".

The last of the elements mentioned earlier is Water. Water includes three signs, too. The three Water signs are Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces. All of them given they are strong through inner reserves are referred to as "she".

Reiterating things slightly differently, two of the four elements are strong through inner reserves. These two elements are Earth and Water. However, even though they have vast inner reserves, Earth is quite different from Water. Water waxes and wanes. She is all about emotions. Whereas Earth, despite also being strong through inner reserves, is great about picking a long term goal and sticking with her progression to said goal for long enough to overcome the various problems that would most likely prevent non-Earth signs from reaching those goals. Put slightly more simply, Earth is great about persevering long enough to reach long-term goals.

So far, this post has gone into detail about polarity and element. There is one more of the big three categories left: mode. There are three modes: Cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable. The order of the twelve signs in Astrology is useful for determining their respective modes. For example, Aries is the normally the first sign. His mode is cardinal. Most likely, this is the reason why Cardinal is the first mode to be mentioned. Each mode includes 4 signs. Cardinal includes Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn.

Then the second sign is Taurus. She is one of four Fixed signs. In the list of modes, it goes from Cardinal to Fixed. The four Fixed signs are Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius.

Lastly, there is the Mutable signs. The first on this list is Gemini. Even though we are now finally addressing Mutable signs, which is the last amongst the modes, Gemini is the third sign mentioned in Astrology. That is sort of weird to think about, right? Once again, Mutable includes 4 signs. These signs are Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces.

The interesting part, for me, is that one sign belongs to three categories. Using the example of Virgo and going by definitions I have read from various books, she is strong through inner reserves. She is able to pick a long range goal and thanks to her perseverance reach that goal. Plus, those born with this sign somewhere in their birth chart are blessed with strong analytical abilities. Whatever place they are born, they learn much about that place. Environment is just another somewhat more fancy word for place. Virgo influences her environment just as her environment influences her. Going from those definitions back to the earlier mentioned categories, Virgo's polarity is Feminine, mode is Mutable, and element is Earth. Does this comment do a sufficient job of explaining why I used and use the terms I use?

Lin

WEll, I 'm not going to argue about the terms...because I still don't understand what your initial theory (your question in the thread title) is ....or means.

Cardinal signs are called that because they are the beginning signs of each season.

The biggest changes on earth happen at the beginning of each season. Cardinal signs rule personality, Identity, and going FORTH.

Fixed signs represent values &valuables - whether whether personal, partnership or social.

Mutable signs rule information, thought, process, communication, conclusion (of thought process and bodily processes.

We can generalize all me want....but in order to know if someone is living their full, authentic self ......Sun and ALL other signs, we have to read an actual chart.
I really don't like generalizations... they don't answer the real questions people have about their own lives.
LIN

Frisiangal

Cheating a bit, I took the pseudonym of O.P, made and looked it up as a birth date.
Turns out that this birth date has no planet in the EARTH element.
Could this interest in Virgo of dotting i's and crossing t's be a result of the influence of the opposition element (un- or sub-conscious activity?) to the Sun sign?

[A check of earlier posts provided a birth chart. :wink:]

Virgo Rising. :biggrin:

IleneK

Premium Member
Hopefully, this post does a better job of clarifying things. It seems like I have a great tendency of confusing those who would answer my questions. With some luck and even more importantly perseverance we ought to overcome this challenge. Firstly, do your best to talk in terms of the signs. Then talk about the planets (or what I prefer to call Heavenly Bodies, because the Sun and Moon are both Heavenly Bodies. Yet they are not planets.)

If we speak purely about the signs, then each sign falls into three categories: polarity, mode, and element. For example, Pisces' polarity is most likely to be described as "she". She is strong through inner reserves. There are 5 other signs that would also be described as "she". The entire list of signs that fall in this polarity are Taurus, Cancer, Virgo, Scorpio, Capricorn, and Pisces. The second half of this polarity use the pronoun "he". Yet, they are defined by being strong through action. The signs included in this polarity are Aries, Gemini, Leo, Libra, Sagittarius, and Aquarius.

Next there are 4 elements: Fire, Earth, Air, and Water. Each element includes three signs. Using the earlier example of Virgo, she is a she, because she is strong through inner reserves. Yes, in my original post, she refers to the sign of Virgo. Using this definition, Virgo is strong through inner reserves. Given this definition Virgo is a "she". Secondly, when it comes to her element, she is one of three Earth signs. To complete the lists for each element, let us start with the first sign. He is Aries. Aries, Leo, and Sagittarius are Fire signs.

Then there are 3 Earth signs. They are Taurus, Virgo, and Capricorn. As a result of Taurus being the second sign, I believe Earth ought to follow Fire, just as Taurus follows Aries. If this acceptable here in this forum, then Air ought to follow Earth.

Air just like the previously two mentioned elements, also has 3 signs: Gemini, Libra, and Aquarius. All the Air and Fire signs are strong through action. If all the signs that are strong through inner reserves are acceptably referred to as "she", then it makes sense (hopefully to more than just myself) that all the signs strong through action, ought to be acceptably refereed to as "he".

The last of the elements mentioned earlier is Water. Water includes three signs, too. The three Water signs are Cancer, Scorpio, and Pisces. All of them given they are strong through inner reserves are referred to as "she".

Reiterating things slightly differently, two of the four elements are strong through inner reserves. These two elements are Earth and Water. However, even though they have vast inner reserves, Earth is quite different from Water. Water waxes and wanes. She is all about emotions. Whereas Earth, despite also being strong through inner reserves, is great about picking a long term goal and sticking with her progression to said goal for long enough to overcome the various problems that would most likely prevent non-Earth signs from reaching those goals. Put slightly more simply, Earth is great about persevering long enough to reach long-term goals.

So far, this post has gone into detail about polarity and element. There is one more of the big three categories left: mode. There are three modes: Cardinal, Fixed, and Mutable. The order of the twelve signs in Astrology is useful for determining their respective modes. For example, Aries is the normally the first sign. His mode is cardinal. Most likely, this is the reason why Cardinal is the first mode to be mentioned. Each mode includes 4 signs. Cardinal includes Aries, Cancer, Libra, and Capricorn.

Then the second sign is Taurus. She is one of four Fixed signs. In the list of modes, it goes from Cardinal to Fixed. The four Fixed signs are Taurus, Leo, Scorpio, and Aquarius.

Lastly, there is the Mutable signs. The first on this list is Gemini. Even though we are now finally addressing Mutable signs, which is the last amongst the modes, Gemini is the third sign mentioned in Astrology. That is sort of weird to think about, right? Once again, Mutable includes 4 signs. These signs are Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius, and Pisces.

The interesting part, for me, is that one sign belongs to three categories. Using the example of Virgo and going by definitions I have read from various books, she is strong through inner reserves. She is able to pick a long range goal and thanks to her perseverance reach that goal. Plus, those born with this sign somewhere in their birth chart are blessed with strong analytical abilities. Whatever place they are born, they learn much about that place. Environment is just another somewhat more fancy word for place. Virgo influences her environment just as her environment influences her. Going from those definitions back to the earlier mentioned categories, Virgo's polarity is Feminine, mode is Mutable, and element is Earth. Does this comment do a sufficient job of explaining why I used and use the terms I use?
Signs are not beings; they are states of being. Their qualities, element, modality, etc., are descriptors of those states of being.
To my way of thinking, states of being have no gender.
[Maybe no one does. Maybe no one even knows what gender is?] :)o_O:)

Virgo rising ruled by Merc in Gemini

Lin

Cheating a bit, I took the pseudonym of O.P, made and looked it up as a birth date.
Turns out that this birth date has no planet in the EARTH element.
Could this interest in Virgo of dotting i's and crossing t's be a result of the influence of the opposition element (un- or sub-conscious activity?) to the Sun sign?

[A check of earlier posts provided a birth chart. :wink:]

Virgo Rising. :biggrin:
:cool::giggle:
Nice to see you Frisiangal......
Hope all is well....
LIN