Vedic with tropical or sidereal?

Dr.Time

There is growing enthusiasm among vedic astrologers to use the tropical zodiac. They are citing many scriptural references to support its adoption. Ernst Wilhelm is one famous advocate of the use of this zodiac. They use sidereal nakshastra, just tropical zodiac for the rashi. Vic Dicara also uses the same methodologies.
They cite references from Surya Siddhanta and Bhagavat Purana. My question is, what is the most compelling reason for use of sidereal zodiac in vedic astrology instead of tropical?

treguard

well, studied my charts intensely , looking for answers because my life had gone really badly.

I used tropical for western and sidereal for vedic. Overall they complemented each other I'd say. It was worth looking at both.
For instance I have jupiter in ninth tropical, i like to have a good time in church. Jupiter in tenth in sidereal...I've also had loads of jobs. So both interpretations came true.

Dr.Time

Could the tropical zodiac with sidereal nakshstra use explain your enjoyment for spiritual activities + good career?

treguard

Not sure if I understand you correctly but...for instance my moon is taurus in tropical but aries in sidereal.
In sidereal the nakshatra is bharani. So youre saying to keep that interpretation but consider the moon to be in taurus?
THat would make some sense ..possibly..because bharani is supposed to produce artists and taurus is the arty sign. The more knowledgable vedic astrologers might disagree though :)
I am a very calm person the majority of the time though, which would suggest taurus.
I have jupiter in Gemini in 10th house in sidereal, but career has never been good, it's just that i've had loads of different jobs.

dr. farr

Well, as an unashamed eclectic I personally see no problem in using the tropical zodiac signs together with the traditional Vedic delineative techniques; I myself have been largely disappointed with the results of the various ayanamasa’s currently used in Vedic and western siderealism.(note that these are my personal opinions only and are not intended as criticisms of the magnificent Vedic astrological art)

Last edited:

Dr.Time

Well, as an unashamed eclectic I personally see no problem in using the tropical zodiac signs together with the traditional Vedic delineative techniques; I myself have been largely disappointed with the results of the various ayanamasa’s currently used in Vedic and western siderealism.(note that these are my personal opinions only and are not intended as criticisms of the magnificent Vedic astrological art)
Thanks, Dr. Farr - good to hear from you.

treguard

OK in tropical im libra rising, but sidereal virgo rising. I do fit the descriptions of both in vedic astrology (lol)
I have lead quite a cursed life up until now, age 44. Libra rising has loads of functional benefics so i would hesistate before saying i really am libra rising. Maybe the truth is in the middle.
am I right in saying sade sati isnt as bad for libra rising because saturn is a benefic for them?
the time saturn went eighth from my moon was really bad
but that seven year period of saturn going 12th,1st, then 2nd from the moon wasnt so bad, i was at college.

mathur_dinesh

OK in tropical im libra rising, but sidereal virgo rising. I do fit the descriptions of both in vedic astrology (lol)
I have lead quite a cursed life up until now, age 44. Libra rising has loads of functional benefics so i would hesistate before saying i really am libra rising. Maybe the truth is in the middle.
am I right in saying sade sati isnt as bad for libra rising because saturn is a benefic for them?
the time saturn went eighth from my moon was really bad
but that seven year period of saturn going 12th,1st, then 2nd from the moon wasnt so bad, i was at college.
I have found that traditional vedic principles work beautifully with Lahiri ayanamsha.

treguard

I've seen a subtle blending.

In one im virgo rising with mercury in fifth house
in the other im libra rising with venus in the sixth house

the sixth house association of libra rising gives it a virgoan influence, the mercury in fifth house gives the virgo chart an artistic influence. Making them have a similarity.

Also I have possibly a viparita yoga in both charts.

I have been into tropical for almost 12 years now and into vedic for 4 years and I feel both work when u stick to their methodologies and principles. Mix them up and you will get hodge-podge in my experience.