Two questions

Elianah

Hi Kite and everyone else,

I have been reading the material that Kite posted on the Sabian Symbols and have two questions for those who use the system a lot:

1) On a planet in retrograde motion, would you still round up or would you round down to the degree where the retrograde motion is heading?

2) I noticed that besides giving the sign degree, there is the actual degree on the chart (1° for the cusp of the first house to 360° for the end of the 12th house). If one wanted more information, would one read both the sign degree and the actual degree on the wheel the planet is at?

For example, my Moon is at 16° Sag 19' in the first house, which means it would be at 9° on the wheel. These are the Sabian Symbols for both:

Sagittarius 17°

PEOPLE GATHER BEFORE DAWN FOR AN OUTDOOR EASTER SERVICE Spiritual living in conformity to natural law. Coming out of doubt and despair. Unwavering faith in a near higher power.
___*When positive, the degree is an unusual realization of immortal resources and an ability to employ them wisely, and when negative, overconcern with superficial form and ceremony.

9° of wheel:

A SEER GAZES WITH CONCENTRATION INTO A CRYSTAL SPHERE Direction from within. Taking advantage of all factors in a given situation, and knowing when to make decisions. Assurance.
___*When positive, the degree is consummate insight in planning the course of events or organizing them in the light of immediate convenience, and when negative, an idle curiosity and a surrender of all reality to the vagaries of the moment.

Thanks!

Elianah

Kite

Hi Elianah -

I have not worked with Sabian's by rounding down for a retrograde although now that you bring it up it spikes my curiousity also. I will look at my own retrogrades to see if there is something there.

In your other question, I know that there are astrologers working with Sabians on aspects where your example might fall in the range of conjuntion (your moon and ascendant) and could be read in a similar way. See http://www.jornal-astrologia.com/article_blaschke.htm

Please let us know what you find out on this subject as you continue your research.

Kite

Lapis

I too have wanted to ask about this 'rounding up' business in regards to using the Sabians.

When in doubt about this, because say a planet is very close to the next degree minutes wise, then I'll read both Sabians. Example: Venus at 14 Gemini 54' so I'll read both 14 and 15 degrees Gemini. If Venus was at 14 Gemini 2' I wouldn't look to the next (15th) degree. From there I'll intuit which one feels the most accurate to me.

Is this method done with the Sabians like this or am I off with this approach? I thought that we used the same degree (Sabian reading in this case) from again say, 14 degrees (or whatever) up to 30' minutes.....as 14 degrees only. IF this was 14 degrees 31' minutes and above, then we'd also consider (at least) looking at degree 15 as well. What's the deal with this? And yes, I'll still fall back on my personal intuition no matter what, to help me discern the situation, until I feel I understand better on both levels! :)

Kite

Lapis - personal intuition always trumps the "rules". That said, the Sabian system, from what I understand, is not a rounding system but based on intervals. Therefore any degree with 0 minutes would be read at that degree i.e. 19Sag00 would be read at 19 Sag or degree 259 out of 360. If it was 19:01 then it would be read at 20 Sag or degree 260 out of 360. At least this is what I'm finding in my research.

Kite

pwadm

Staff member
Hello

To answer Elianah's first question, it doesn't matter which way a planet goes, the planet is still at that degree, so we should read the Sabian Symbol for that degree, rounded up.

As for the second question, this is a very interesting idea, well worth investigating. The Sabian Symbols may be applied to the resulting new chart. Cool.

pwadm

Staff member
Kite said:
That said, the Sabian system, from what I understand, is not a rounding system but based on intervals. Therefore any degree with 0 minutes would be read at that degree i.e. 19Sag00 would be read at 19 Sag or degree 259 out of 360. If it was 19:01 then it would be read at 20 Sag or degree 260 out of 360. At least this is what I'm finding in my research.
I think that there is no planet exactly at 19.00. You should consider the seconds of arc as well. Then you might have 19.00.45 which is clearly already more than 19.00 so the Sabian Symbol attached to it is the one for 20th degree.
Only in extremely rare situations one may encounter a planet a 19.00.00 which is actually 18.59.60 and should be read as the 19th degree.

That's how a Virgo views it: as much precision as possible...