transits to progressed planets

JUPITERASC

All true. :smile:
She does mention natal transits, and the solar eclipse, which supports the arguments of those who say that transits to progressed planets don't produce effects - BUT, my point was, she feels the need to also include the fact that progressed mars was being aspected by a transiting planet (although that transit was also to the cusp of her presumably natal 8th house), progressed saturn was aspected by the solar eclipse, and progressed moon and progressed ascendant were also affected by a transit (pluto).
We could predict her death without looking at the transits to progressed planets, but Celeste Teal seems to think that the transits to progressed planets also had an impact...

I was alway taught 'the rule of 3' - if you see 3 indications of something in a chart then you can safely predict it...
Not all astrologers even use secondary progressions, yet would nevertheless have found other factors - such as profections, solar return in conjunction with natal and profections and in particular the solar eclipse - sufficient testimony :smile:

junoisuppose

Not all astrologers even use secondary progressions, yet would nevertheless have found other factors - such as profections, solar return in conjunction with natal and profections and in particular the solar eclipse - sufficient testimony :smile:

I just realised the Celeste Teal article I read was the one you recommended earlier in the thread!!!! Talk about Mercury retrograde.:happy:

I don't know what profections are. Can you explain?

At the risk of making astrology sound like a 'quack' science to non-believers, perhaps it is akin to how people can get the same answers through tarot cards/crystal readings/psychometry - sort of like the universe will provide the answers, through whatever language you can understand...

JUPITERASC

....I don't know what profections are. Can you explain?...
during discussion on another thread, dr. farr explains profection as follows :smile:
To my understanding, the entire chart gets profected (advanced, turned) ahead by one house/sign every year (then you check the new profected places with the positions of planets in the houses/signs of the natal chart)
ANSWER
Profection is the advancement of the chart one sign per year; the profected placements are compared with the natal placements; it is for predictive purposes.

Claire19

Claire, this is sound astrological principle, straight from the book "the practice of prediction" by Nancy Anne Hastings. Transiting Pluto moves slowly, so the effect is strong unlike a fleeting venus or merc transit.
You must be misreading the books. I am an astrologer for over 30 years and I can tell you that transitting aspects to other transitting aspects are not valid. If they are just hovering in the sky and connecting to each other and not the natal chart they cant possibly have any effect. The natal chart always has to be triggered off and this is the nature of prediction. LIke lightning only hits the Earth in certain spots because there are receptors there even though they may be unseen. It takes two to tango..

Claire19

I just realised the Celeste Teal article I read was the one you recommended earlier in the thread!!!! Talk about Mercury retrograde.:happy:

I don't know what profections are. Can you explain?

At the risk of making astrology sound like a 'quack' science to non-believers, perhaps it is akin to how people can get the same answers through tarot cards/crystal readings/psychometry - sort of like the universe will provide the answers, through whatever language you can understand...[/QUOTE

Astrology has basic tenets and principles that cannot be violated or denied as it is a science. All this mumbo jumbo that abounds in forums only serves to make astrology seem like some kind quackery. Only quacks practice quackery.

junoisuppose

You must be misreading the books. I am an astrologer for over 30 years and I can tell you that transitting aspects to other transitting aspects are not valid. If they are just hovering in the sky and connecting to each other and not the natal chart they cant possibly have any effect. The natal chart always has to be triggered off and this is the nature of prediction. LIke lightning only hits the Earth in certain spots because there are receptors there even though they may be unseen. It takes two to tango..

Claire19 - I can see that you are saying that in your experience of reading charts transits to progressed planets/points have not produced any effects that you have noticed, but several other people have posted on this thread that they have personally felt the effect of transits to progressed points, in particular the progressed ascendant. While in some cases those effects can be explained by other things that are affecting their chart I think that there are sufficient examples to be investigated.
Plus we have a world respected astrologer who is giving transits to progressed planets/points some weight, though I concede she does also take transits to the natal chart into account.
The natal chart doesn't "exist" in reality after the person has been born. It is representative. Similarly the secondary progressed chart, where we take one day to represent one year, "existed" at a specfic point in time (x number of days after that person's birthdate depending on how old they are) but is no longer a physical thing, it is also just representative of the person we have become over time, I think.
But I accept that major events will show in the natal chart as well.

m0ney*p0wer*re$pect

I disagreed with the notion at first but I'm slowly changing y mind. I'll do a little further research on progressions it just jumbles my logic b/c I never considered progressions to be anything other than symbolic unless they aspect a natal point/planet

astralrabbit

Account Closed
I have a progressed sun at 9 degrees capricorn. Pluto of course is at 9 degrees. They are preparing to trek into my 12th house. For me, I find that my Identity has been transforming now (especially over the last 3 years). In Celeste Teal's book, " Identifying Planetary Triggers"; she writes that when the progressed moon and sun are sextile to a satun transit that was often found to be rewarding. I have meditated upon this quite often since reading it and of course myself I have been curious if other's were experiencing certain event's that correlate with a conjunction of a transiting planet to a progressed planet. The reason I mention the bit about saturn is that my progressed moon will be conjunct progressed sun sextile at 10 degrees with a transit of saturn.
Either way so far I feel as if the transiting planet and progressed planet is making an impact, but again I am getting ready to go through a pluto square from the 12 th to the 8th.

Frisiangal

I am an astrologer for over 30 years and I can tell you that transitting aspects to other transitting aspects are not valid. If they are just hovering in the sky and connecting to each other and not the natal chart they cant possibly have any effect. The natal chart always has to be triggered off and this is the nature of prediction. LIke lightning only hits the Earth in certain spots because there are receptors there even though they may be unseen. ..

Hi,
I've been studying astrology for as long as Claire and I am in agreement with her. There has to be a point of contact in the natal chart for the transits to have a personal effect. Otherwise everyone on Earth would feel the effect of them at the same time in one way or the other, wouldn't they? Yet this point of contact may not be to a natal planet but can also involve a house cusp, midpoint, and any other calculated techniques used by a specific astrologer.

What I do think needs to be considered is the effect of long-term transits which do produce a world-wide effect. E.g. Everyone may be perceptible to the influence of a global recession, virus, world event etc., yet i.m.h.o the person with no contacts to the personal chart will not be affected by their influence as will those with the personal contacts... including to secondary progressions (one day after birth = 1 year progressed) and other progressed planet techinques, of which there are many.

Not all astrologers use all techniques.:smile:

astralrabbit

Account Closed
Hi,
I've been studying astrology for as long as Claire and I am in agreement with her. There has to be a point of contact in the natal chart for the transits to have a personal effect. Otherwise everyone on Earth would feel the effect of them at the same time in one way or the other, wouldn't they? Yet this point of contact may not be to a natal planet but can also involve a house cusp, midpoint, and any other calculated techniques used by a specific astrologer.

What I do think needs to be considered is the effect of long-term transits which do produce a world-wide effect. E.g. Everyone may be perceptible to the influence of a global recession, virus, world event etc., yet i.m.h.o the person with no contacts to the personal chart will not be affected by their influence as will those with the personal contacts... including to secondary progressions (one day after birth = 1 year progressed) and other progressed planet techinques, of which there are many.

Not all astrologers use all techniques.:smile:

Thank you Frisiangal.... In your experience at what degree of orb have most started to feel the effects (phsycological) of chellenging aspects. I.E.
progressed Sun square Pluto... I am within a 2 degree orb at the moment in my chart.
I have also had neptune in transit pummelling my midheave, mercury, and sun-neptune conjuntion (stellium in the 10th) over the last 4 years. I have to say life has been one hell of a roller coaster ride :lol:
Thank you again.

Frisiangal

Thank you Frisiangal.... In your experience at what degree of orb have most started to feel the effects (phsycological) of chellenging aspects. I.E.
progressed Sun square Pluto... I am within a 2 degree orb at the moment in my chart.

Personally speaking only, I use a maximum of 1.30 degrees applying to and separating from an exact aspect. The Sun progresses at about 1 degree a day=year. So,its progression over a natal planet will last at least 3 years. My own sun progresses much slower!!!:andy:
As the progression applies to exactitude the 'something is brewing' effect begins. Exactitude usually sees the event occur. As the progression moves out of exactitude, the effect of the event is undergone.

What you should also remember is that any natal planet in aspect to another is going to 'be taken in' by the occuring progression. If, say, you have a planet on 3* in aspect with a planet on 7* now undergoing a progression, the meaning behind the whole progression actually started when it hit the 3* planet and is completed when it is out of orb of the 7* planet.

A transit to a progressed planet is still within orb for 1.30 degrees but it will only last as long as the speed of the transiting planet is within orb to it. Faster moving planets may not be felt, yet anything from Mars onwards will produce an outcome.:smile:

I have also had neptune in transit pummelling my midheave, mercury, and sun-neptune conjuntion (stellium in the 10th) over the last 4 years. I have to say life has been one hell of a roller coaster ride :lol:

If a major progression is occuring, look at what other tranits/progressions are occuring at the same time. There is usually a theme working itself out that involves them all. So; e.g., if transit Neptune has seen you undergo major losses, make sacrificial changes, find/lose faith in something/someone in one way or another, the transit of Pluto to progressed Sun is going to bring about a new, as yet untried way of life. Undergoing the unknown can be quite creepy for the one, yet be a tremendous challenge in self-survival for another. When transit Pluto squares itself, one's world is turned completely upside down, all that was is no longer functional, and the necessity to follow a new path becomes apparent. :smile:

Hope this helps a little.

JUPITERASC

Thank you again.
Quite clearly the house location AND sign of the midheaven sign dispositor, as well as house location AND sign of Mercury's dispositor AND house location and sign of natal sun Sun dispositor are important factors :smile:

astro11

Transiting planets to your progressed planets will have an effect, especially if it is an outer transiting planet making the aspect. Saturn and Pluto in particular will have very strong effects.

Transiting planets to other transiting planets will have no effect on a person's life because they don't connect to points in their charts. This interaction is crucial to have impact.

astralrabbit

Account Closed
If a major progression is occuring, look at what other tranits/progressions are occuring at the same time. There is usually a theme working itself out that involves them all. So; e.g., if transit Neptune has seen you undergo major losses, make sacrificial changes, find/lose faith in something/someone in one way or another, the transit of Pluto to progressed Sun is going to bring about a new, as yet untried way of life. Undergoing the unknown can be quite creepy for the one, yet be a tremendous challenge in self-survival for another. When transit Pluto squares itself, one's world is turned completely upside down, all that was is no longer functional, and the necessity to follow a new path becomes apparent. :smile:

Hope this helps a little.[/QUOTE]

The events of my life our following the map so beautifully with the path of my nodal return. The gravity of what you have just shared is fantastic and reaffirms the awarness of everything for me. I am ready to let go and allow pluto's transformation, and It feels scary, but peaceful all in the same. I don't want to be afraid, and I love challenge..... There is something magnificant happening and it is waking my souls potential and I need to use these gifts. Thank you for responding!

Zarathu

Account Closed
Transiting planets to your progressed planets will have an effect, especially if it is an outer transiting planet making the aspect. Saturn and Pluto in particular will have very strong effects.

Transiting planets to other transiting planets will have no effect on a person's life because they don't connect to points in their charts. This interaction is crucial to have impact.

Yes.... there has to be some connection to the natal chart, eihter directly or to a progressed chart that symbolically measures the change of the event over time.

But I have almost never used Transits to progressed charts, while I know how to do them, I have little expereince with them. My prediction over the years is based almost entirely on Soalr, Lunar, and planetary returns( and the 12th part cycles of those, described best by my friend Celeste Teal.

Zarathu

astralrabbit

Account Closed

Would they have an impact through others in the world around us in relation to us through any sensitive point in our charts. Chaos theory comes to mind.

junoisuppose

Mercury is retrograde so it is time for me to revisit this thread again :happy:.
Just to update, if anyone is curious, pluto transiting my friend's progressed moon coincided with the birth of his second child, so it was the significant woman in his life who was undergoing plutonian things, her sun is 11 degrees libra so she has pluto squaring it right now. His first child was born when his progressed venus hit his natal moon two and a half years earlier.
I'm afraid I don't know which houses were affected (although I'm guessing 5th) or which houses those planets rule in his chart since he doesn't know his time of birth.
He doesn't have any other natal planets within orb of a major aspect to 9 degrees Capricorn.

Last edited:

greybeard

What does a progressed planet symbolize?

I would suggest that a progressed planet represents the growth and development of the particular energies of the planet. The progressed planet provides a description of our place along the path of life at any given moment, with reference to the natal planet -- which describes what the planet is and will become.

Venus is not just Venus, the same in any chart. Each natal map specifies the individualized expression of the "generic" Venus powers, and also describes how those powers are likely to develop, to what end they might lead. Venus remains fundamentally the same throughout life (according to its natal significance); it does not change. It can change "form of expression", but the fundamental symbolic meaning remains the same throughout life.

So if we want to predict through astrology, our first task is to fully understand the implications of the natal planets involved in any post-natal interaction.

Transiting Pluto perfects an aspect to a natal planet only once in a lifetime. True, it will contact the planet or point three times in its passage due to its constant oscillation between direct and retrograde motion, but these three contacts are only sub-phases of the once-in-a-lifetime aspect.

The expression or manifestation of astrological symbolisms can take many forms in any specific instance. More often than not the symbolism will manifest in multiple ways, usually but not always apparently related. But just what forms the manifestations may take is not so easily specified.

Regarding Pluto transits to Moon, when this occurred in my life I noticed
1. My relationship with my mother took on new dimensions, and it also ended (terminal).
2. The relationship with my mother resulted in a very profound transformation in my emotional body which I would typify as a purification.
3. My family life went through a period of greater-than-normal turbulence. The effects were lasting.

As far as the Pluto contact with directed (not progressed) Moon, the conjunction took place in the 6th House. I very seldom see a doctor; my health has always been strong. But at the time of the conjunction I did see a doctor and was relieved of a hitherto mysterious ailment that had defied treatment for some time. I suspect that the residue of the condition will be contributory to my death. (Pluto's effects are permanent and irrevocable.) The coincidence in time and nature (symbolic) between the conjunction of transiting Pluto to directed Moon lead me to question the statement that transiting planets and directed/progressed planets do not interact.

But to worry about what your horoscope may foretell is a waste of time, energy and life force. A worried state (fear) is a symptom of spiritual immaturity (deficient consciousness). Fear, in any of its many forms, is a very negative force that one should strive to overcome; it deadens life. My experience shows that faith is what kills fear. So to overcome fear, work on developing faith. Whatever the horoscope shows is meant to be. Why be afraid? If I had the power to give a gift to every person I meet, I have a hunch that my gift might be "freedom from fear." I sure don't understand why a person would study astrology if it makes them afraid of next week, next month and next year. That just doesn't seem very smart to me.

Astrological prediction is based on symbols. The symbols, each one of them, contains many possible forms of manifestation, and it is difficult to specify any particular manifestation, especially if we are basing the prediction on only a single aspect. Prediction is enhanced by some knowledge of the native's situation in life, and through inclusion of other apparently unrelated factors in the horoscope, and of course, a good grasp of the meaning of the planets in the natal chart.

mdinaz

We dont do transits to progressed planets, only to the natal ones. Then again only if they have a natal aspect as well, are they significant.
As always you need to post a visual chart for any comment. Anonymise it.

I do, but only for outer planets and taken in context with transit/natal contacts. Timing of major life events is often tied to a progressed chart along with a natal one.

mdinaz

Transitting planets are not valid in connecting to progressed planets. Always the natal chart is triggered off. Otherwise they are just connecting in the sky and not to the individual. Progressions are valid when the planets involved are making an aspect natally as well otherwise there is little effect.

i.e. progressioned Moon is conjunct natal Venus and Moon and Venus connect in the natal chart, then there will be a strong influence.

A planet transitting through a house and not connecting anywhere will not be noticed.

Strongly disagree. Major life events in my own life have been illustrated in a transit to progressed that didn't show in transit to natal, as well as to clients. You are free to use what method works for you but I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand.