The Star!

piercethevale

poyi, it seems I was in error. Our M.C's are next to each other not the exact same.
I had assumed you were totally onboard with the understanding of the enumeration of the degrees.
Your 25th of Leo was actually the 26th it seems

Please be aware that while it was Jones whom had the Symbols first [Elsie withstanding] Rudhyar caught on that there were a few that just weren't jibing with the rest as to the entire set being a process of transformation of spiritual evolution in 360 steps.

It apparently took a couple/three years before Dane was convinced that there were a few that were 'just wrong'. as He was living in Los Angeles at the time [about 1934 or 35, I forget] and somehow he found out that Elsie Wheeler was living in San Diego so Dane drove down to S.D. to pay Miss Elsie a call. Marc Edmond Jones had apparently given, Elsie, all 360 of the cards used in the divination process some ten years prior and Dane got to see for himself what was and what wasn't

That Dane picked up on the alteration just some three or four years after being introduced to them and that Marc wanted the symbols to conform to an ideal he had preconceived before he and Elsie did their effort but couldn't pull it off without being noticable, gives good cause to stop and ponder the fact that while Dane did give the symbols in his first book on Astrology in 1936 he spent the next, nearly, forty years studying them before publishing His book on the symbols while Marc did get a book published in 1953 ...in a little more than half the time Dane spent on them.
I don't know if Marc ever reformed the few He so obviously monkeyed with or not when He did finally publish them and made them available to the general public. If I still had a copy of Dane's first book on Astrology, "The Astrology of Personality". in which Rudhyar lists all 360 just as Elsie first described them I could see what Jones has done

Regardless, I believe Rudhyar to be the far better symbologist of the two.
My advice for years has been, "Get Rudhyar's book and get to know the symbols through Dane...later on you might, probably will, want a copy of Marc Edmond Jones work, Lynda Hill's and possibly another author or twos as well.. Beware though, there are a couple of authors that just butchered the set of symbols. One of them deleted any symbolism that had even a hint of Christian iconography in it and quite apparently in the least concerned and most arbitrarily manner anyone could have possibly done. The reformed symbols are now completely something else and not even remotely related to the original

Heck, I own about 8 different copies of the 'I Ching'...and I'm still looking for other versions all the time.

I was stunned to find out that Dane was so little known until he was nearly 70 years old. He was living like a recluse in a small apartment in Hollywood during the period 1948 to 1958...his second wife dying on him in 1955.
I lived in Hollywood from 1953 to '56, then No. Hollywood until late 1963.
I wonder if I hadn't of seen Dane somewhere around town during those years.
In parallel, it was in my brothers small studio apt. in No. Hollywood in 1984 to 1985 that the Sabian Symbols [and what techniques of astrology I employ] became known to me during a nine month stay with my brother...just before Dane had passed away.

What I would give to have had a chance to spent an evening talking with that man. He died in California in Sept. 1985, he was 90 years old.

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
Hmmm Symbol degrees would be a later field of Astrology for my learning. Not surprised there are many different versions and people prefer different authors. I only have Jones copy, it was part of my collection of his works.

His style of languages is quite different to the modern writers. But I did start learning astrology at the beginning from his books. I have a copy of "Astrology How and Why it Works", 1969 copy, the book is so old I had to photocopied it page by page for safe reading. The original book is in a protective bag to protect the pages. This book is very very high quality book. I am very pleased that I was able to get a copy. He taught how to do manual chart casting etc.

piercethevale

Hmmm Symbol degrees would be a later field of Astrology for my learning. Not surprised there are many different versions and people prefer different authors. I only have Jones copy, it was part of my collection of his works.

His style of languages is quite different to the modern writers. But I did start learning astrology at the beginning from his books. I have a copy of "Astrology How and Why it Works", 1969 copy, the book is so old I had to photocopied it page by page for safe reading. The original book is in a protective bag to protect the pages. This book is very very high quality book. I am very pleased that I was able to get a copy. He taught how to do manual chart casting etc.

Well, that's like saying that there are many versions of the Bible...while somewhere there is only one truly original version of the Tanakh as it was originally written.

I think of Elsie's descriptions just as that original manuscript of the Tanakh in the original Hebrew language.

I don't know of a single Jew that ever reads anything in the King James Version or the Douray Bibles or any of the Christian Testaments for that matter, with the minor exception on rare occasions as to the Gideon...as I have seen it myself on a couple occasions whilst traveling with Jewish friends and staying in Hotels.

Yet, Rudhyar, Jones, Hill and Bovee's books on the Sabians are like parts of the Talmud [Rabbinical Commentaries]... although I find Rudhyar to be something beyond as his work on the Sabian Symbols I would say is like comparing the Talmud to the Zohar. {Kabbalistic}

Last edited:

poyi

Premium Member
I have no doubt some other authors offered better and newer insights which is why I am a book collector. I get the books first and when it is time to explore then I dig into it. Always as my references.

I do like to compare and read many different authors then making my judgement later. However, I know I will never find perfect method or view and every thing is subjective. The process of exploring is more interesting to me. I will keep all these in mind and follow up posts eventually I will understand more about degree symbols in time.

piercethevale

I have no doubt some other authors offered better and newer insights which is why I am a book collector. I get the books first and when it is time to explore then I dig into it. Always as my references.

I do like to compare and read many different authors then making my judgement later. However, I know I will never find perfect method or view and every thing is subjective. The process of exploring is more interesting to me. I will keep all these in mind and follow up posts eventually I will understand more about degree symbols in time.
Spoken like a genuine seeker of Truth:cool::rightful:

Phoenix Venus

There is something i have been wondering about...... it's been swirling around somewhere in the back of my mind for a while, so i guess it's time to make a post about it. i think i've mentioned this text before, but i'm wondering specifically about the implications in regards to these stars.

There is this quote from the book of judas, which was found in a coptic codex, that is sooo very relevant to this topic of "The star"

"Adamas was in the first luminous cloud that no angel has ever seen among all those called "God". He [49] [ ...] that [...] the image [...] and after the likeness of [this] angel. He made the incorruptable [generation] of Seth appear [...] the twelve [....] the twenty-four [....]. He made seventy-two luminaries appear in the incorruptable generation, in accordance with the will of the spirit. The seventy-two luminaries themselves made three hundred sixty luminaries appear in the incorruptible generation, in accordance with the will of the Spirit, that their numbers should be five for each.
The twelve aeons of the twelve luminaries constitute their father, with six heavens for each aeon, so that there are seventy-two heavens for the seventy-two luminaries, and for each [50] [of them five] firmaments, [for a total of] three hundred sixty [firmaments...]. They were given authority and a [great] host of angels [without number], for glory and adoration, [and after that also] virgin spirits, for glory and [adoration] of all the aeons and the heavens and their firmaments."

.... does this means that 12 "luminaries" rule over 6, 5-pointed stars, each....? ... I dunno, but those numbers at least seem to check out in regards to astrology...

to illustrate,
12 x 6 x 5 = 360.... twelve signs... ruling 6 stars... each..... ????

piercethevale

There is something i have been wondering about...... it's been swirling around somewhere in the back of my mind for a while, so i guess it's time to make a post about it. i think i've mentioned this text before, but i'm wondering specifically about the implications in regards to these stars.

There is this quote from the book of judas, which was found in a coptic codex, that is sooo very relevant to this topic of "The star"

"Adamas was in the first luminous cloud that no angel has ever seen among all those called "God". He [49] [ ...] that [...] the image [...] and after the likeness of [this] angel. He made the incorruptable [generation] of Seth appear [...] the twelve [....] the twenty-four [....]. He made seventy-two luminaries appear in the incorruptable generation, in accordance with the will of the spirit. The seventy-two luminaries themselves made three hundred sixty luminaries appear in the incorruptible generation, in accordance with the will of the Spirit, that their numbers should be five for each.
The twelve aeons of the twelve luminaries constitute their father, with six heavens for each aeon, so that there are seventy-two heavens for the seventy-two luminaries, and for each [50] [of them five] firmaments, [for a total of] three hundred sixty [firmaments...]. They were given authority and a [great] host of angels [without number], for glory and adoration, [and after that also] virgin spirits, for glory and [adoration] of all the aeons and the heavens and their firmaments."

.... does this means that 12 "luminaries" rule over 6, 5-pointed stars, each....? ... I dunno, but those numbers at least seem to check out in regards to astrology...

to illustrate,
12 x 6 x 5 = 360.... twelve signs... ruling 6 stars... each..... ????

That would be the logical assumption.
While I've rather recently become aware of this book attributed to Judas, I've only read a few excerpts online.
I have never heard of 72 Luminaries before.
It is interesting though..as it is said that there are 72 Angels of the Quinaries [by which I used to take to mean as one Angel for each 5* increment in the Zodiac..but it might mean Pentagrams...?!] and 72 names of God and that as the Sun is Gods' 'proxy' here in our Solar system...or one half of the pair, for those so inclined to believe [which I am still ambivalent about as to being resolved] and there being 12 names for the Sun in Sanskrit which I have a very strong feeling are 12 of those 72 names for God. I gave you a few of those names in another thread, yesterday, I think I posted it...in reply to your question as to how to say "Thank you, God" in Sanskrit.

The twelve names for the Sun in Sanskrit.
[In the order I was given them to recite as Japa to the Sun as part of my daily morning ritual of Sun rites I do everyday, rain or shine, year around... and multiple times on the Equinoxes] Just precede each name with OM and after with Namah OM [OM in translation is 'So Be It", Namah in translation is 'I bow to"]
Interesting note: At he end of one of the long recitations in Sanskrit i was taught to do is the expression [in the context you are addressing the Sun and it hears and understands you] "...you are my Pushne {Nourisher} yet by my recitation of these words of praise as I have, I am the Pushne within thee." As Edgar Cayce once remarked that the Sun spots are caused by the activities of the "Sons of Light" upon the Earth... to which I had took to mean for years that He was saying that the Sons were using up that light by calling upon it in genuine need for doing those good acts they volunteered to be bound to the wheel of Karma in order to free the many souls that entrapped themselves into bondage to. But since learning the aforementioned lengthy mantra in 2006 [I've been doing Sun rites daily since the summer of 2001...haven't missed a day since April 2003.] and the rather worrisome Solar flare and sunspot activity these past recent years I now believe those sunspots are very possibly caused by the less than honorable actions by a few too many Sons of Light that may have gotten themselves a bit more entangled and bound to the Illusion of Maya in this age of a Kali Yuga ...or at best the very beginning of a Dwapar Yuga. ... more than there ought to be, if any.
As it seems to me, given the number of souls Cayce seemed to imply as
volunteering for rescuing the billions already entrapped in Maya [and these souls were split in two. A male and a female soul/half. [and Cayce confirmed someones question if there are actual soulmates for each of us ...but He also said that most all would be best informed to know that, as a rule, that is not the person you want to go searching for as a life mate [which I recall he gave very little room for exception to the rule.]

Those Names for the Sun that might also be Twelve of the Seventy Two..

Mitraya...the One who is affectionate to all.
Ravaye...the One who is cause for change.
Suryaya...the One who induces all activity.
Bhanave...the One who diffuses all Light.
Khagaya...the One who moves in the sky.
Pushne...the One who nourishes all.
Hiranyagarbhaya...the One who contains everything [and part of the symbol for the 7* of Aquarius, according to Dane Rudhyar, as you know P.V.]
Marichaye...the One who possesses rays.
Adityaya...the One who is God of Gods.
Savitre...the One who produces everything
Arkaya...the One that is fit to be worshipped
Bhaskaraya...the One that is the cause of lustre.

Last edited: