The planets and their sexual gender

Cosmiccradle

I've found the following as to which sexuality the planets have. If you have any other writers or astrologers with their ideas or your own, I'd be glad to hear it. The search has led to the following…..

Sapharial

Masc. Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun.
Fem. Pluto, Neptune, Venus, Moon.
No sex. Mercury

Volguine

Masc. Uranus, Jupiter, Mars, Sun, Pluto.
Fem. Neptune, Venus, Moon.
No sex. Mercury,
Unknown. Saturn

Hall

Masc. Saturn, Uranus, Jupiter, Mars, Sun.
No sex. Mercury.
Unknown. Pluto.

Ptolemy

Masc. Saturn, Jupiter, Mars, Sun.
No sex. Mercury,
Unknown. Pluto, Uranus

Cornell

Masc. Sun, Uranus, Saturn, Jupiter, Mars.
Fem. Moon, Venus.
No sex. Mercury
Unknown. Pluto, Neptune.

Wilson

See Ptolemy

Mann

Masc. Sun, Mars, Saturn, Pluto.
Fem. Moon, Venus, Jupiter, Neptune.
No sex. Mercury,
Unknown. Uranus

De Vore

Masc. Sun, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus
Fem. Moon, Venus, Neptune.
No sex. Mercury
Unknown. Pluto.

You would say how is it possible for some of the astrologers to give sex to a planet not yet known. The division is in keeping with their own insight of that time. Just like there are many astrologers or astronomers now that use trans Pluto planets with qualities.

As for the sexless Mercury, a minor planet, it can take on both sexes depending on any aspect made (whereby the increasing/ingoing aspect has the upper hand, or if it should be in containment, the major planet takes the upper hand.

The question now is this, what sex would you give the Unknown planets?

Lunar Pisces

Mercury is a major planet, not a minor one. It's one of the five personal planets, and a very, very important one at that. It's just people have trouble intuiting the most intuitive Mercury--in other words, Mercury out-thinks and out-wits most people who try to fathom him!

I would regard Mercury as a "yang" or "outgoing" planet, as do the majority of modern Western astrologers, who have largely discarded the notion that planets are masculine or feminine. Some astrologers will use "yang/yin" or "positive/negative." But really what they are describing in the nature of these planets' energies: either the energy of these planets are moving "outwards" or they are moving "inwards." I prefer "outgoing" and "receptive" to describe the two polarities of planet energies myself.

The polarities of known major planets, as commonly accepted in Western astrology:

Sun, Mercury, Mars, Jupiter, Uranus: yang, positive, outward or "outgoing"
Moon, Venus, Saturn, Neptune, Pluto: yin, negative, inward or "receptive"

Of course, there are two personal planets in modern astrology that are ruled by two signs: Mercury and Venus. I personally don't think that changes the primary polarity of these planets' energy. Venus is clearly a very receptive planet, yet like all receptive planets, it can have its own outgoing side. Mercury too, can "reverse" polarity" and become a more receptive planet rather than its status quo as an outgoing one. The only difference I see it is, while ALL planets can to some degree "reverse polarity" if the circumstances demand it, the two that can more easily reverse polarity are these two doubly ruled planets: Venus and Mercury.

Cosmiccradle

Thankyou for your reply. However I believe the topic was as to the sexuality of the planets marked "unkown". As to my personal view as to Mercury being a minor planet is open for discussion naturally, perhaps you could open a new topic as to major and minor planets, and why they recieve such a heading. And how other astrologers, past and present view Mercury and the other planets as to their weight in the chart.

Dear Cosmiccradle,

I had no idea the associations of "masculine" or "feminine" for each planet had anything at all to do with sexuality. Sexuality as a term can only be applied to a human being, since it has to do with the personality and self-consciousness plus a sexual drive/motivator. Planets, as far as a know have none of these things,

As far as declaring the sex, or sexual, component of a planet, again, I say the same thing. I am confused as sex and sexual anything have to do with body parts.

Gender, as it relates to planets, is what I understand to be a very poor label for categorizing planets based on masculine and feminine descriptors. I always thought it simply had to do with energy. The energy which receives other energy and alters it that way, or the energy that puts out energy to be altered. Feminine and masculine, respectively.

That said, if I had to categorize the unknown planets Uranus and Pluto along these lines, I'd categories Uranus as masculine energetically, and Pluto as feminine energetically. Uranus acts upon its subjects, thereby creating change, whereas as Pluto receives its subjects and changes them.

I could talk about this in terms of sexed bodies, Uranus as sperm, and Pluto as Uterus and Egg, but it might be too much for people. :rolleyes:

mod.

E

eternalautumn

I just feel like throwing a monkey wrench in here. I take Mars as a feminine planet. It keeps the symmetry. Does anyone else? :smile:

E

eternalautumn

Well I go by traditional methods, which were all about symmetry and perfection. Think of it this way:

Masculine:
Sun
Saturn
Jupiter

Feminine:
Moon
Mars
Venus

Androgynous:
Mercury

Diurnal:
Sun
Saturn
Jupiter

Nocturnal:
Moon
Mars
Venus

Both:
Mercury

See what I mean? Mars being masculine throws the whole thing off. I read somewhere that the Babylonians considered it feminine...

Ah I see, so this also has to do with how Mars and Saturn are also best placed either Nocturnally or Diurnally. Mars as feminine... interesting!

mod.

E

eternalautumn

And think about it. Mars makes a lot of sense as a feminine planet. I always think of a mother defending her child, in like the wilderness. Or a single mom in the city doing what she has to do... I don't know, I have a very vivid imagination... But the keywords of Mars seem more feminine to me, somehow... Or I'm just crazy... :smile:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
eternalautumn said:
See what I mean? Mars being masculine throws the whole thing off.

modcleopatra said:
Ah I see, so this also has to do with how Mars and Saturn are also best placed either Nocturnally or Diurnally. Mars as feminine... interesting!

Not at all, Mars is a nocturnal planet and Saturn a diurnal planet not because of their gender label, but because it is an attempt to make them less malevolent. Saturn is best in day charts because the heat of the day makes up for some of Saturn's excess is cold, while Mars's night placement alleviates his excessive heat.

Gender isn't relevant to their assignments.

E

eternalautumn

That may be true, Kai. But it is still more symmetrical to have Mars feminine. And I like symmetry. There is one malefic of each gender, and each one has a different sect. Makes sense to me.

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
And think about it. Mars makes a lot of sense as a feminine planet. I always think of a mother defending her child, in like the wilderness. Or a single mom in the city doing what she has to do... I don't know, I have a very vivid imagination... But the keywords of Mars seem more feminine to me, somehow...

What about Mars overwhelming significations of war and soldiers? That doesn't appear to be feminine.

But it is still more symmetrical to have Mars feminine. And I like symmetry. There is one malefic of each gender, and each one has a different sect. Makes sense to me.

Perhaps, but Mars is a superior planet and thus can't be feminine in that regard, he also joys in his day house while the other feminine-esque planets joy in their night houses, etc, etc.

Cosmiccradle

I just feel like throwing a monkey wrench in here. I take Mars as a feminine planet. It keeps the symmetry. Does anyone else? :smile:

Then how we view astrology must be subjective, I see Mercury as a minor planet, Lunar Pisces doesn not, I view Mars as masc. and you see Mars as Feminine. Or are you having me on? It is an ongoing discussion, Masc./Fem., Electric/Magnetic, and will remain so. So many astrologers, so many views.

wilsontc

Staff member
Mars as masculine AND feminine, to autumn

autumn,

You said:
I take Mars as a feminine planet. It keeps the symmetry.

I think about the traditional rulerships of :mars: (although I am NOT a traditional astrologer at all! ;) ). :mars: ruled both:
- :aries: (Masculine sign) and
- :scorpio: (Feminine sign)

So if we look at the planets :mars: ruled, :mars: is Masculine AND Feminine.

And so on with the rest of the personal planets and "bridge" planets except :sun: and :moon: : each planet :)mercury:, :venus:, (as was mentioned) :mars:, :jupiter:, and :saturn:) rules BOTH Masculine AND Feminine signs. Now if we look at the outer planets :)uranus:, :neptune:, and :pluto:) and their modern rulerships, they only rule ONE sign. So :uranus: is Masculine (rules a Masculine sign, :aquarius:), :neptune: is Feminine (rules a Feminine sign, :pisces:), and :pluto: is Feminine (rules a Feminine sign, :scorpio:).

Having it both ways,

Tim

Last edited:

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member
Re: Mars as masculine AND feminine, to autumn

You got it exactly right, Tim. The reason why the planets rule two signs is so they can have both a masculine expression in their day houses and a feminine expression in their night houses. The Sun and the Moon cannot have opposite-gender expressions, so only have one sign. :)

Cosmiccradle

You got it exactly right, Tim. The reason why the planets rule two signs is so they can have both a masculine expression in their day houses and a feminine expression in their night houses. The Sun and the Moon cannot have opposite-gender expressions, so only have one sign. :)

Now I'm getting myself into hot water undoubtedly, but I still remain with the feeling that in ancient times this was used to support the 10 planet 12 sign situation. The same can be said for astrology that uses trans pluto planets where you have two planets for one sign. Should we not be working with what we have and not with what was or might be?

Kaiousei no Senshi

Premium Member

Now I'm getting myself into hot water undoubtedly, but I still remain with the feeling that in ancient times this was used to support the 10 planet 12 sign situation.

But there weren't ten planets in ancient times.