The natural 0 degrees Aries on Earth Longitude

ptolomy

I was wondering,has there ever been any attempt to detect a natural '0 degree'
point of longitude on the Earths surface,rather than the artificial G,M,T?
In 'Mundane Astrology' by Michael Baigent,Nicholas Campion and Charles Harvey there is mention of 10 degrees Capricorn/Cancer being significant in so many of the major countries of the world:quote"The Sun at 10 degree Capricorn is in the significant degree area shared by the Suns in the horoscopes of the US,USSR(set for 1972),China,France and Germany,not to mention the United Nations MC."In fact they even use the expression 'World Axis' for 10 degrees Cap/Can,I wonder if significant 'Instigating' countries in the world could be connected to an equivalent 0 degrees Aries/asc region transposed onto the planets surface as a natural longitudinal position?,does that make sense?

dr. farr

Yes it does; the Cancer/Capricorn axis is an ancient concept, that Cancer is the ascendant of the World and Capricorn the descendant (this goes way back to Greek astrology, and was extensively followed in the Islamic transitional era) Another related ancient tradition was that "souls" entered incarnation in the World through the "Cancer gate", and exited by way of the "Capricorn gate"; and I mentioned a certain esoteric tradition in another thread about the "0 point" being marked out by the Sphinx at the Giza plateau. There are a number of ancient (and or esoteric) traditions touching this concept, or in someway similar to it, so it certainly is a possibility which could make sense-maybe its the key to astro-cartography?

dr. farr

Yes I am aware of that link, which is excellent; thanks for providing it to our AW members who might like to further investigate this very relevant subject!

BobZemco

I was wondering,has there ever been any attempt to detect a natural '0 degree' point of longitude on the Earths surface,rather than the artificial G,M,T?

Sure, there are other more logical and rational alternatives. Stonehenge would be better than GMT. The Gizeh Plateau, specifically the Great Pyramid is another logical choice. The Earth's Polar Axis would be another. That moves, but only about 1 second of arc per month and currently it's at 23°26'15".

In 'Mundane Astrology' by Michael Baigent,Nicholas Campion and Charles Harvey there is mention of 10 degrees Capricorn/Cancer being significant in so many of the major countries of the world

I wouldn't pay much attention to that. That book was outdated 3 minutes after it was published, and most of the charts are wrong.

Mark

I agree with the use of the Great Pyramid at Giza as the marker for the "natural longitude" to begin a chart on the Earth's surface. That was one reason it was built at Giza in the first place.

ptolomy

So Cairo 31,40 E is 0 degrees Aries,Therefore 0 degrees Taurus would fall approximately in Extreme Western Pakistan,Extreme Eastern Iran,West Afghanistan and along the Eastern edge of the Ural mountains in Russia approximately?

ptolomy

Ps:What books do you recommend that are better than, and more up to date than 'Mundane Astrology' by Campion, Baigent and Harvey to study Mundane Astrology these days?,Ive been meaning to buy some new books for ages.And after what Bob said,and my recent attempts to get charts for certain countries proving difficult i feel its imperative.

BobZemco

So Cairo 31,40 E is 0 degrees Aries,Therefore 0 degrees Taurus would fall approximately in Extreme Western Pakistan,Extreme Eastern Iran,West Afghanistan and along the Eastern edge of the Ural mountains in Russia approximately?

I use the Great Pyramid at 29° N 58'45" and 31° E 31' 08'http://toolserver.org/~geohack/geoh...08_03.69_E_region:EG_type:landmark_scale:2000

If you consider the land mass of Earth, all the continents and islands out in the seas and oceans, 50% of all land is north of the Great Pyramid, 50% south, 50% east and 50% west.

That was mentioned in an article in the October 1974 edition of Science or Scientific American (I can't remember which) which also claimed that it was oriented to True North but off by 8' of arc and they attributed that to the tectonic plate rotating (it rotates counter-clockwise).

Ptolemy used a demarcation line running East-West right through the Mediterranean Sea starting at the midpoint of the Strait of Gibraltar dividing Earth into North/South, and then another line running through the Red Sea, Lake Pontus (in Turkey) and the Sea of Azor (just north of the Black Sea in the Crimean region) to divide the Earth into East/West.

The region you mentioned he referred to as the Northeastern Quadrant governed by the Air Triplicity of Gemini, Libra and Aquarius and the Planetary Rulers were Mercury, Jupiter and Saturn.

The area around Armenia and north he gave to Gemini/Mercury, the area west centering on Afghanistan was Saturn/Aquarius, and then the remainder of the northeast area from about the Caspian Sea out was Libra/Venus.

He called the area in the southwest of the whole Northeast Quadrant as having affinity with the Water Signs (Scorpio, Cancer and Pisces). That would essentially be western Turkey, and what is Kurdistan in Iraq/Ira.

Ps:What books do you recommend that are better than, and more up to date than 'Mundane Astrology' by Campion, Baigent and Harvey to study Mundane Astrology these days?,Ive been meaning to buy some new books for ages.And after what Bob said,and my recent attempts to get charts for certain countries proving difficult i feel its imperative.

I'm not sure there are any books. For Campion et al, their logic is really obtuse. When Iran gets a new constitution and new form of government, we must construct a new chart, but when Romania gets a new constitution and new form of government, we are not allowed to cast a new chart. And likewise for a whole slew of other countries.

Their logic and reasoning is totally inconsistent and completely subjective.

We must use the Sibley Chart for the USA, in spite of the fact that the phrase "United States" never appears anywhere in the Declaration of Independence, and in spite of the fact that the Declaration quite clearly and in plain ordinary English and in no uncertain terms specifically states that what is being created are 13 independent self-governing countries, not one single country. When those 13 countries do unite several years later, we aren't allowed to cast a new chart for that, and then years later when there is a new constitution and new form of government, we aren't allowed to cast a chart for that either.

So when do you cast a new chart? Nobody seems to know. There are no guidelines, it's wholly arbitrary.

So I don't really mess with country natal charts, and use Ingress Charts instead, and then I've found that Ascension Charts for when a political party comes to power (that would be most western democracies) or when an individual comes to power (in the case of dictatorships) work really well.

ptolomy

Thanks for your information bob.
I find that the chart i work with most,The UK one for 1st january 1801 works well for me,But im not so familiar with working with other countries charts like the US as much,If there are multiple charts for the same country i get very unsure and would rather not use any of them in the that case.
I notice Campion released a book of charts in 2004 which is the most upto date list i can find,what do you reckon about it? http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&so...yKC6CQ&usg=AFQjCNEW3-OeA_AeaLT2nWDuCC6Of1VYLg

dr. farr

I think the Marc Penfield series of mundane data collections is the most detailed and provides extensive historical information (regarding the data) as well; these books are available @ astroamerica.com

BobZemco

I dont understand what you mean Bob,can you explain please?

Each Planet has years assigned to it: Minor Years, Middle Years, Greater Years and Greatest Years.

When casting Ascensional Charts for a kingdom, dynasty or ruler, they would use those years to determine the length of existence of the kingdom or dynasty, or the length of rule of a ruler or king.

I'm not exactly sure how they did it, and as best as I can tell it seems they looked at Angular Planets that aspected the Midheaven, but they were extraordinarily accurate in determining the lengths of kingdoms and dynasties. What they would have done is cast an Ascensional Chart for England, and then cast Ascensional Charts for each ruling dynasty that appeared afterward (Tudors, Windsors etc). As it moves into parliamentary government, I believe they would have cast Ascensional Charts for each party, rather than each prime minister, since each party is essentially a "family" and represents a ruling dynasty that at times is in power or not.

Anyway, a kingdom or dynasty would last until it was overthrown, absorbed or merged with another, or otherwise altered its state of existence.

CapAquaPis

The numbers 13, 26 and 52 are significant since 13 is the cursed number, 26 is double and 52 redoubling it: A place surely to be haunted by difficult world history. Yes, 39, 65, 78 and 90 degrees latitude are found on our geographical maps, atlas and globes... but here's what I uncovered.

13x4=serious trouble in numerology, especially when it comes to the volatile sociopolitical nature of countries and geographical places.

13 degrees East, 52 degrees North is the coordinates and symbolizes the city of Berlin & surrounding area of the former East Germany, 1949-1990: Heidelberg, Postdam, Rugen, Frankfurt der Ode, Schwerin & Wismar to name a few. The Berlin Wall, the Iron curtain and reunification process, as well the birthplace & childhood town of current Germany president: Angela Merkel.

Berlin itself a Lander or state & the other "new 4 states" of Germany suffered a great deal of political conflict in the 20th century alone (the 2 world wars) and more oppression under communism (the German Democratic Republic) compared to their western brethren whom took the former East over 20 years ago: The "Ossies" claim they knew the drill on changing currency (the East German Mark abandoned for the Deutschemark) when the Wessies complied to change theirs to the Euro in 2002.

Last edited:

JerryRR

0 Degrees Aries = The Belinus Ley Line at 1 51 24 W.

The GPM,has a an interesting relationship to the star Eltanin,termed the Zenith star,it is almost at the zenith of Greenwich.

At 52 N is Wandlebury hill,this hill is located in the Gog Magog Downs.

J.R.

planet9

I was wondering,has there ever been any attempt to detect a natural '0 degree' point of longitude on the Earths surface,rather than the artificial G,M,T?

It is possible to find a particular longitude which is distinguished by certain properties from all others, although this distinction could not have occurred prior to Elizabethan times.

Dr. John Dee (1552-1608) invented a calendar which differed from the Gregorian Calendar. A defect of the latter was that the date of Easter sometimes occurred on March 21st but sometimes not -- contrary to the presumed wishes of the Nicene fathers at the Council of Nicaea in 325 CE.

The date of Easter depends on the exact time of the vernal equinox. Time-of-day depends on local midnight, which depends on which longitude you happen to be at. It can be proved that there is no longitude at which Easter always occurs on March 21st in the Gregorian Calendar. There is evidence (though no proof) that Dee considered the question of whether there was some longitude at which Easter would always occur on March 21st in his calendar (the Dee Calendar), that he found this longitude, and that it is (or rather was in Dee's time) longitude 77 degrees West, which happens to be the longitude of the Capitol Building in Washington D.C. (which, of course, did not exist in Dee's time). Some believe that this is not actually a coincidence, and that the founding of the first British colony in America is related to Dee's calendrical work.

The full story (based on the research of archaeoastronomer Simon Cassidy) is given in John Dee's Calendar and God's Longitude.

Paris, rather than Greenwich, was proposed as the location for 'zero degrees longitude', but Greenwich won out. The designer of the Capitol Building in Washington, Pierre L'Enfant, proposed that the location of this city should become the new 'zero degrees longitude', a proposal which was not received with much enthusiasm in Europe and was not adopted.