The most powerful house in the composite

wan

Hello. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the house that is the most powerful in a composite. Based on your personal experience. Personally I feel that it's gotta be one of the angular houses, minus the 10th, which isn't very romantic to me. So it comes down to the 1st, 4th and 7th. You'd think it would probably be either the 1st or 7th, however I have read that this axis is actually not as powerful as the 4th/10th axis. Anyway I would like to hear what your experience has been.

IleneK

Premium Member
Hello. Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the house that is the most powerful in a composite. Based on your personal experience. Personally I feel that it's gotta be one of the angular houses, minus the 10th, which isn't very romantic to me. So it comes down to the 1st, 4th and 7th. You'd think it would probably be either the 1st or 7th, however I have read that this axis is actually not as powerful as the 4th/10th axis. Anyway I would like to hear what your experience has been.

Hi, Wan.
I think it would depend upon what you are wanting to see or know about the parties to the composite in order to determine what might be the most important house in the composite. But just objectively, since it is the union of two parties, I would think that the 1st house, the house of the union's being and essence, would be the most important.

That's just my thinking and honestly; I don't use composites much at all, really rely on synastry.

ElenaJ

Also, the most important house can become the one that carries the most critical planets or aspects in a specific composite, making it a focal point.

Osamenor

Staff member
Also, the most important house can become the one that carries the most critical planets or aspects in a specific composite, making it a focal point.

This. It's no less true of composite charts than of individual birth charts.

But when you ask which house is most powerful, what do you mean? Most powerful for what? It sounds like you're saying, which one would mean this is a good relationship, or which one would be best for romance vs platonic friendship vs anything else. That's not how composite charts work.

A composite chart just describes how the relationship as an entity functions. It does not say anything about the dynamics between the individuals involved or how they experience the relationship. For that, use synastry, not composite.

Because a composite chart is about the relationship as an entity, the relationship as an entity has to exist for the chart to be valid. If the people involved don't know each other, or only know each other superficially, the chart isn't valid. There has to be a well established relationship between them for their composite to have any meaning.

If you have a well established relationship with someone, you already know what kind of relationship it is and what kind of flavor it has. So why, then, would you need to ask which house of the composite chart is the most powerful?

Osamenor

Staff member
...one of the angular houses, minus the 10th, which isn't very romantic to me

On the contrary, the tenth house is a crucial one for romantic relationships in certain contexts. Not in composite, and not even necessarily in synastry--a couple can do just fine with no tenth house contacts between them--but transits and progressions involving an individual's MC or its ruler are often a factor in changes to relationship status. Especially marriage.

If you get married (or, for that matter, divorced), your social status changes. MC is an indicator of social status. Entering (or leaving) a serious relationship can also mean such a change, even if no wedding is involved.

Furthermore, a transit or progression involving the MC also involves the IC. Change in relationship status, especially marital, nearly always means a change in living situation and/or familial status.

wan

On the contrary, the tenth house is a crucial one for romantic relationships in certain contexts. Not in composite, and not even necessarily in synastry--a couple can do just fine with no tenth house contacts between them--but transits and progressions involving an individual's MC or its ruler are often a factor in changes to relationship status. Especially marriage.

If you get married (or, for that matter, divorced), your social status changes. MC is an indicator of social status. Entering (or leaving) a serious relationship can also mean such a change, even if no wedding is involved.

Furthermore, a transit or progression involving the MC also involves the IC. Change in relationship status, especially marital, nearly always means a change in living situation and/or familial status.

Hey, Osa.

While I agree with you when people get married, their status changes, however shouldn't that be more like a 7th house matter? I mean it's their marital status. Whereas the 10th signifies professional status.

Osamenor

Staff member
Hey, Osa.

While I agree with you when people get married, their status changes, however shouldn't that be more like a 7th house matter? I mean it's their marital status. Whereas the 10th signifies professional status.

The tenth house signifies social status as much as it does professional status. Getting married is, above all, a change in social status.

I've taken a few astrology classes where we studied charts, transits, and progressions for the times when people got married or met the person they ended up marrying, and in all of those cases there was something significant going on with the MC or its ruler. There was not always anything going on with the DC or its ruler.

ElenaJ

In effect, yes, the 10th shows a change in status.
And normally we tend to look only at the 7th for marriage, but Lilly does refer to the MH, or 10th as well.

dr. farr

Re: The most powerful house in the composit

For marriage relationship charts I usually use a simple composite and pay special attention to ;
1st house-for the overall well-being of the couple
2nd house-for the economic situation
4th house-for the home situation
5th house-for the romantic element
7th house-for the relationship per se
10th house-for the social status]/social aspect of the relationship

I also look at the placement of the part of marriage and aspects of key significator planets to it.