The Continuing Discovery of Chiron

Opal

Premium Member
https://sites.google.com/site/contculpersfigh/continuing-di-tiwskamvicbi2ys

The Continuing Discovery of Chiron - Erminie Lantero

This is the only link I could find to the book.

Check out Chapter 7 - The Chiron Myth in the Transition to a New Age

I just got bought this book. It is a pleasant surprise. I have just started this chapter, after perusing the Table of Contents, it is where I started. Go figure, eh David, and others🙂.

It is interesting, but I am still reading it and will comment more after actually, really reading it. 🙂

Opal

Premium Member
“Is it possible that the names assigned early in the Age of Aries to the constellations along the ecliptic were derived from the signs, not the other way around? It was the Signs, not the constellations, that measured human day-to-day experience with Earth’s changing seasons from time immemorial.”

Nice concept.

Lantero quotes Dane Rudhyar, and many other “not considered to be” astrological writers.

Opal

Premium Member
Funny. On the next page she discusses Glastonbury. I bought 3 books in Vancouver. One was this on Chiron, and the Ages. One other caught my eye, Glastonbury, and it connections to the Ages, of course. Funny how the Cosmos works.

If you are in Vancouver, in one block there are 2 fabulous bookstores, one used books, one new. Kestrel and Banyen.

waybread

“Is it possible that the names assigned early in the Age of Aries to the constellations along the ecliptic were derived from the signs, not the other way around? It was the Signs, not the constellations, that measured human day-to-day experience with Earth’s changing seasons from time immemorial.”

Nice concept.

Lantero quotes Dane Rudhyar, and many other “not considered to be” astrological writers.

The history of astronomy/astrology indicates that the Babylonians invented 12 30-degree signs around 500 BCE to make it easier to predict eclipses, which were a cornerstone of their mundane astrology. Their constellations existed long before that. Because the constellations are of varying widths around the ecliptic, it was hard to coordinate them with predicting precise eclipse locations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexagesimal

The Babylonians' sexagesimal (base 60) is the foundation of our systems of:

60 seconds in a minute, 60 minutes in an hour, 24 hours in a day.

360 degrees in a horoscope and compass

earth's latitude and longitude, with degrees divided into minutes and seconds

Some good sources on Babylonian astrology are Gavin White, Babylonian Star Lore; and Francesca Rochberg, The Heavenly Writing.

Further, the author you cite is mistaken about how ancient people used the night sky as a giant celestial calendar. The rising and setting of significant stars, asterisms, and constellations were used to predict agricultural seasons, the Nile floods, and the opening and closing of the Mediterranean Sea shipping season. The Pleiades were especially important markers. See Hesiod, Works and Days, Aratus, Phaenomena; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egyptian_astronomy.

We get a hint of a tropical zodiac with the ancient significance of solstices, equinoxes, and their interstitial points. But these give us a four- or eight-part zodiac, not a 12-part division.

Ditto on Banyan Books in Vancouver, BTW!

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member
Yes, the Babylonian’s were well known and still are for their advanced knowledge in astrology.

But, I don’t think they were first. I think they too, learned from past writings, that were, like we now see, the Nag Hamadi’s.

Check out Kestrel Books next time you are in Vancouver, go there before you go to Banyen Books. You will be pleased. 1/2 a block away, same side of the road same block.

I will check out the books you recommended. But, I do believe the knowledge has been passed down for, ages, and ages. 🙂

waybread

The Sumerians (4500-1900 BCE) are the first known people to use astrology as the study of the heavens and their influence on human affairs. Ancient Egyptians also had a lot of star lore, used as a celestial calendar.

The Nag Hammadi documents are from the early years CE (Christian and Gnostic.)

Because earlier societies were not literate, we cannot really say what was their star lore. Most traditional cultures had beliefs and observations about the heavens, but these don't generally qualify as astrology.

Nicholas Campion's 2-volume history of astrology is highly recommended.

Opal

Premium Member
https://truthseekerastrology.com/post/172699470050/happy-early-birthday-to-astrologer-erminie/amp

Hi Waybread,

Discoveries are changing the history. It is being discovered, and past writings are being changed to accommodate, the advancement of knowledge of the people that we have erroneously labeled as uneducated cavemen.

It is no longer, credible to remain in a time slot of the Sumerian writings. Buildings of magnificent structures are being unearthed, that were constructed much later than previously thought. Even Angkor Wat is being looked at, as possibly being a million years old.

It is being discovered that they were literate, and they passed their knowledge as the Bible says, written in stone, in the monuments built from a time past, that we are still not literate, or knowledgeable enough to accurately date.

Erminie Lantero was one of the first modern writers on the astrology of Chiron.

You should read her.

Last edited:

waybread

Possibly.

I never talked about "primitive cavemen." The paintings at Lascaux and similar sites show a knowledge of the heavens and incredible paintings by Paleolithic people. Astrology is a form of cultural astronomy, but not all cultural astronomy is astrology

There is a mythical past as wished-for, and an actual past that can be verified through archaeology and, more recently, primary written sources. The wished-for past may even be more inspiring, but I am more interested in the reality of the past, to the extent that it is knowable.

"Alice laughed: "There's no use trying," she said; "one can't believe impossible things."

"I daresay you haven't had much practice," said the Queen. "When I was younger, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast."

[Alice in Wonderland]

I've had direct experience of Chiron, which I believe shows physical, emotional, or spiritual wounds that don't heal properly; but where, if we stay open to those hurts, we can gain in wisdom and compassion. However, it's not the only heavenly body that does this. Saturn, for example.

Opal

Premium Member
Ha ha, yes, you are more interested in what you can see as provable.

I would not call myself a dreamer. More of a stubborn search for a what I can see as a believable truth.

Everyone has their own truth, that evolves with what they read, observe and experience.

As I said above I have only begun reading Lantero’s book. She writes well, readable, and interesting.

Chiron, is considered as a planet by some. It’s strength to each of us is observable. Mine is in the sign of your Sun. In the third.

Do you wish to share your experience with Chiron, or a hint thereof.

Mine is of communication, and the “sibling” that I was raised with.

What houses yours?

Opal

Premium Member
I love Alice in Wonderland. It has many fabulous quotes.

You just made me think of Edward Gorey. Do you know his writing?

A is for Annabel, who fell down the stairs,
B is for Bertrand, eaten by bears….

waybread

I didn't think much about Chiron until late in 2006 when I slipped on some ice while hiking, and broke the right fibula bone just above my ankle joint. I was given one of those plastic boots to wear as a cast, but it didn't fit properly. Rather than return it, I just hobbled around for months in it. I don't think the bone healed properly.

Chiron, when I slipped and fell, activated a bunch of stuff in my natal chart. Notably Mercury (which rules walking,) in Aquarius (which rules the ankles) in my 5th house (which rules recreation, such as hiking.)

Little by little my right foot started turning out when I walk, until lately the lower fibula bone has been giving me quite a lot of discomfort. I have a phone appointment about it with my doctor on Tuesday.

Natally I have Chiron at about 8 degrees in Sagittarius. It is squaring my solar arc Uranus and conjuncting my solar arc ascendant. Today transiting Chiron is at 8 degrees Aries; which is a trine, so go figure.

I'm hoping for wisdom and compassion out of this.

Opal

Premium Member
I didn't think much about Chiron until late in 2006 when I slipped on some ice while hiking, and broke the right fibula bone just above my ankle joint. I was given one of those plastic boots to wear as a cast, but it didn't fit properly. Rather than return it, I just hobbled around for months in it. I don't think the bone healed properly.

Chiron, when I slipped and fell, activated a bunch of stuff in my natal chart. Notably Mercury (which rules walking,) in Aquarius (which rules the ankles) in my 5th house (which rules recreation, such as hiking.)

Little by little my right foot started turning out when I walk, until lately the lower fibula bone has been giving me quite a lot of discomfort. I have a phone appointment about it with my doctor on Tuesday.

Natally I have Chiron at about 8 degrees in Sagittarius. It is squaring my solar arc Uranus and conjuncting my solar arc ascendant. Today transiting Chiron is at 8 degrees Aries; which is a trine, so go figure.

I'm hoping for wisdom and compassion out of this.

I think you may receive what you hope for. A positive fiery trine aspect, Chiron domicile in your natal, and action Aries at the helm.

If you are walking, as your ankle is vulnerable, use a tensor bandage, or better yet buy a slip on ankle support at the drug store. When a body is damaged or weak, you are at a much higher risk for injury. Tensors really help.

Opal

Premium Member
This book. It is very well written. I highly recommend it. It has quotes from a lot of astrologers, one that was involved with the making of the ephemeris.

Most are referring to it as having planetary strength, with a small orb, in the natal and in transit. By small, .5 of a degree to the maximum of 1.

The general consensus though, is that it does not rule, any house or sign. It just adds too the flavour.

It is described as being an “inconvenient benefit” because the inconvenience it brings, by house and sign is resolved quickly, because it’s orb is small, but it’s power is strong.

A must read. ���������� 5 smilies

Hence The Wounded Healer.

Last edited:

Opal

Premium Member
“Al H Morrison, publisher of the CAO Times and Ephremerides of Chiron, offers the following statement.

I still consider Chiron a major planet, in that it is the only one between Saturn and Uranus.”

“I also consider Chiron a major planet because in my experience it works like one in horoscopes.”

“I have not found a hint of Chiron ruling ANY sign, and do not expect to do so.”

He wrote the ephemerides for Chiron. He is “the” pioneer of Chironic astrology.

Lantero quotes many pioneers of Chiron, from when it found November 1, 1977 to when her book was published in 1983. A mere 6 years after Chiron was located and named.

She too is a pioneer of Chiron.

Opal

Premium Member
After, reading about Chiron, Lantero starts to do interpretations from charts.

First one, she uses a woman who has a conjunction between IC and Chiron. It has a 5 degree separation.

So much for using a 1 degree orb.

Last edited: