So --- whoever originated this thread, or whoever shares a deep interest in the topic
Should take the trouble to define all 8 terms that form the basis of the personality typings
I'm an ENTP.
This is my attempt at it lol
Extrovert: Leo Rising, Aries Moon, Mercury in Libra, Jupiter conjuct midheaven??
Intuitive: Mercury in fourth,Scorpio Sun in fourth
Thinking: Moon in 9th, Mars in 3rd?
Perceiving: Mercury Opp Jupiter??
ENTP here as well, or at least that's what I kept getting when taking the online tests
Extrovert: Leo Rising, Mars in Aries, Sun in Sag, Jupiter in the 10th, and maybe Sun Conjunct Mercury?
Intuitive: Sun in the fourth here as well, Moon in Scorpio in the fourth
Thinking: Mars in the 9th, South Node in Virgo??
Perceiving: I have Moon Opp Jupiter, but it might also be from my Mars in Aries squared by Neptune and Saturn in Cap, so instead of deciding to do stuff (judge), I end up just gathering info on a matter (perceive) and not doing much else
I'm seeing a trend here with Leo risings
Extrovert: Leo Rising, Gemini Sun & Gemini Venus in 11th, Taurus Mars & Taurus Mercury in 10th
Intuitive:Neptune and Uranus trine Mercury, Neptune and Uranus trine Mars, Pluto in 4th
Thinking: Moon in Taurus in 9th, Mercury opposite Pluto, Absence of planets in water signs, Unaspected Jupiter
Perceiving: Geminian influences, Uranus as dominant planet, Mars at critical degree
(Leo Rising, 11th and 10th house placements, lots of Uranus + Neptune aspects and Gemini energy = ENTP )
INTP is my most consistent result, but for an introvert, I'm kind of extroverted (or at least outspoken and talkative, I'm wary of new people) and for a thinker, I'm very very emotional. I've gotten INFP, and I've gotten ENTP but I've never gotten ENFP or anything with a J or an S.
While Myers-Briggs might be better at summarizing your personality, I like astrology a lot better because it's more complex and does a much better job at highlighting the contradictions in your personality. The other thing about Myers-Briggs that bothers me is no one can be 100% objective about themselves. Astrology kind of forces you to look at yourself objectively.
As for what aspects in my chart contribute to this...
1. I have three planets in retrograde; Mercury, Venus and Saturn. I think Mercury and Venus contribute more to my introversion than Saturn, however, being more socially-orientated planets. Mercury is my chart ruler and Venus is the ruler of my sun.
2. Another big factor is my stellium in the 6th house, Scorpio, which includes my retrograde Venus.
3. My moon is in the 12th house, Taurus, and opposite Venus, which might be a factor. Lilith is placed here too, as well as my south node (which is conjunct the moon... my north node is actually conjunct Venus)
4. I'm a water dominant.
1. My Libra Sun is definitely a factor. Libras are usually very conceptual thinkers, focused on abstract ideals like balance, justice, etc. Air Ascendant, Air Midheaven. Are grand trines exclusive to planets because if they can include angles, I'm pretty sure I have a grand air trine?
2. Sun/Mercury in the 5th square Uranus/Neptune conjunction. I very much identify with these aspects especially the Uranus ones (tighter orb than the Neptune). Moon is trine Neptune, if that means anything (I've noticed trines aren't as strong as 'hard aspects').
3. Moon in the 12th/Scorpio stellium/water dominant
4. Venus conjunct Jupiter (ruler of Descendant), love of philosophy?
5. Mercury in retrograde may contribute to this too?
I don't normally consider myself to be a particularly 'intuitive' person (although I've gotten a lot better as I've gotten older and I've realized there were times when I was right but didn't trust myself enough). As a Libra, I don't like jumping to conclusions, which is what I feel like you're doing when you claim to know something without reason or explanation (even if it's not something you can physically or scientifically prove, or even if it's not something that's conscious to you...there has to be I]some [/I]reason!), but the Myers-Briggs version of "intuitive" is different. The Myers-Briggs version of "intuitive" refers to someone whose more idea-orientated, and focused on the big picture. Intuition here doesn't mean feeling as opposed to thinking, which is what I always thought it meant. It refers to a more symbolic thinking, reading between the lines and coming up with new ideas as opposed to literal thinking.
I've been called inattentive but I'm only inattentive when listening to technical stuff. I'm never inattentive when it comes to things that relate to humanity or the psyche. I'm more interested in social sciences than hard sciences.
1. Gemini Ascendent
2. Mercury Dominant
3. Libra Sun+Mercury/Taurus moon
4. 6th house stellium (very analytical)
I'm very slow to come to a decision and even though I'm very emotional, I always strive to be objective as possible. I try to consider all factors of a situation, both my heart, my head, all the facts and all the feelings, everything and because of this, I overthink.
I do have strong feelings that cause me to act impulsive sometimes but relating to intuition, I try not to have knee-jerk reactions or prejudices and when I do, I try to think, "why?"
I question everything, both others and myself.
1. Gemini Ascendant, definitely. I often appear to be very scatter-brained.
2. Libra Sun/Mercury in the 5th house
3. Libra Sun/Mercury square Uranus/Neptune... again
4. Saturn in Pisces...most of the J/P questions on the Myers-Briggs test revolve around work, and Saturn relates to work. Pisces is a weird sign for Saturn to be in. Saturn in retrograde may be a factor here as well.
5. Contrary to popular belief, I think Venus conjunct Jupiter in the 6th house might be a factor here. I'm sort of lazy and only feel like working when my heart is in it (venus), I need a job that I can enjoy and I tend to be too busy thinking about the bigger picture to focus on day to day tasks (jupiter)
I think mental illness is a factor in this last one, too. Regardless of my "personality", it's difficult for me to follow a strict schedule.
I've been researching the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Tool lately, which operates under the theory that people can be grouped according to certain characteristic ways of thinking and behaving. Visit The Myers & Briggs Foundation website or use your favorite search engine to learn more about the MBTI. There are many pages on the website, but MBTI Basics is a good place to start.
Basically, you are asked to choose between two preferences in four categories, and the interaction among these preferences determines your personality type. The qualities of Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I), Sensing (S) or Intuition (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P) are assessed, and the combination of these four preferences results in 16 personality types, which are described here.
I believe a discussion regarding astrological factors associated with the eight individual qualities--Extraversion (E) or Introversion (I), Sensing (S) or Intuition (N), Thinking (T) or Feeling (F), and Judging (J) or Perceiving (P)--would be a good place to start.
Then, perhaps, we can attempt to "create" a natal chart we feel aptly describes each of the 16 personality types. Obviously, there will be many astrological indicators for these 16 types, since we have a nearly infinite array of natal charts.
If we wish to take a less systematic approach, the thread participants can each list their personality type (if you don't know it, there are several free tests online) and describe which astrological factors in your natal chart you believe contribute towards the characteristics associated with your type. Naturally, not all of the characteristics of a certain type will apply to you, just as not all of the characteristics of a certain sign archetype or planetary placement will apply to you. We are each an intricate blend of characteristics.
I have not been tested by a certified MBTI consultant, nor do I intend to, but I seem to receive the result of INFP on several versions of the test.
EDIT: So as not to appear biased, I have removed the links for INFP. Please send me a personal message if you are interested in visiting the sites I found.
Now, here are some more general sites:
- The Personality Type Portraits
- Myers-Briggs Personality Test MBPT Personality Types
- Functional Analysis of Psychological Types
- The Sixteen Myers-Briggs Types
- Facts About the 16 Myers-Briggs® Personality Types
- MBTI Type Today
- Myers-Briggs Tpe Indicator explained in details.
- History Meets Psychology: TheMindBehind.Net
I tend to get INFP when I take this test, with the F/T axis kinda low but in favor of feeling rather than thinking.
With majority of my planets in houses 7-12, that could account for me being an introvert.
- Ceres and Pluto in Scorpio in house 1
- Sun in Libra in house 11
- Jupiter and Venus in Virgo in house 10
- Moon, Mercury, and Mars in Libra in house 12
Three personal planets in house 12, Jupiter conjunct Venus, plus a water ascendant and a water planet in house 1 could account for the intuition, feeling, and perceiving. But I have a lot of air and earth in my chart so ultimately my feeling function is weak.
I thought you were an infp when i was reading your post.