Sun in 8th house

socrates

In one of my favorite podcasts they say the sun in 8th house struggles to shine because natives cant see it as it is averse to Asc.
But what if sun rules 4th or 3rd houses? Is it the father or siblings who struggle to shine or are they possibly the cause for the native not being able to shine?

Thanks

Harmelia

Yes, I don't believe that interpretation fits everyone. I have Aries Sun in the 8th house and I shine. I shine in my own way, but I shine. We all shine differently. Any general interpretation will not fit everyone, or even most people.

Osamenor

Staff member
"The sun fails to shine" means the sun piece of the birth chart, not the person. The astrological function of Sun is muted somewhat if it's in the eighth house. That says nothing about how "shiny" the native is, or isn't.

A planet that doesn't see the ascendant is in a sign with a very different vibe from the ascendant. So it's not going to show that clearly through the ascendant. (As a Leo with Capricorn rising, I've gotten plenty of, "no way, you can't be a Leo!")

But traditional astrology doesn't equate sun sign with personality to anything like the extent that modern astrology does. It's more concerned with planetary function. If Sun doesn't see the ascendant, Sun things are somewhat less accessible. It's kind of like having a talent for playing the piano but not having a piano.

That's a very simplistic way to put it, of course. Traditional astrology is much more complex than that, and I admittedly have not watched that video, not having the time for it at the moment. The video may explain it better.

JUPITERASC

But traditional astrology doesn't equate sun sign with personality
to anything like the extent that modern astrology does.

It's more concerned with planetary function.
good catch :)

If Sun doesn't see the ascendant, Sun things are somewhat less accessible.
It's kind of like having a talent for playing the piano but not having a piano.
or having a piano but no time to practise :)
dependent on totality of testimonies of specific nativity

That's a very simplistic way to put it, of course. Traditional astrology is much more complex than that, and I admittedly have not watched that video, not having the time for it at the moment. The video may explain it better.

socrates

Attachments

• paul.jpg
    paul.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 26

JUPITERASC

i.e. :)

"The sun fails to shine" means the sun piece of the birth chart, not the person. The astrological function of Sun is muted somewhat if it's in the eighth house. That says nothing about how "shiny" the native is, or isn't.

A planet that doesn't see the ascendant is in a sign with a very different vibe from the ascendant. So it's not going to show that clearly through the ascendant. (As a Leo with Capricorn rising, I've gotten plenty of, "no way, you can't be a Leo!")

But traditional astrology doesn't equate sun sign with personality to anything like the extent that modern astrology does. It's more concerned with planetary function. If Sun doesn't see the ascendant, Sun things are somewhat less accessible. It's kind of like having a talent for playing the piano but not having a piano.

CapAquaPis

Having a 8th house sun is not the best of luck for anyone, add that a moon conjunct sun in 8H and in a sign like Aquarius the sun and moon within 6' to form a total solar eclipse (Feb 15, 1980 around 2:20pm Pacific time, the TSE wasn't visible in North America). The sun is in a house ruled by Scorpio, then in my natal chart the sun should be ruled by the 11th (Aquarius' house) - is this correct?

Lonerose99

Having a 8th house sun is not the best of luck for anyone, add that a moon conjunct sun in 8H and in a sign like Aquarius the sun and moon within 6' to form a total solar eclipse (Feb 15, 1980 around 2:20pm Pacific time, the TSE wasn't visible in North America). The sun is in a house ruled by Scorpio, then in my natal chart the sun should be ruled by the 11th (Aquarius' house) - is this correct?
Sun is in 8h house traditionally ruled by Scorpio, yes. But in a specific natal chart the 8h is ruled by whatever sign falls on the cusp. Sun is in Aquarius? But in the 8th. 11h has nothing to do with it. As far as the Sun itself, it's home sign is Leo, home house is 5th, which doesn't figure in either. What figures in is that the Sun is in the 8h in Aquarius, that's it. 🙂 With the cusp of the house being Aquarius I assume.

socrates

Yes, I don't believe that interpretation fits everyone. I have Aries Sun in the 8th house and I shine. I shine in my own way, but I shine. We all shine differently. Any general interpretation will not fit everyone, or even most people.
do you shine in 12th house matters since sun rules 12th?

socrates

dependent on totality of testimonies 🙂
each chart differs
although im now traditional i agree with Steven Forrest in inner sky. When I walk around and see junkies or guys who spend all time with friends I think " I couldnt do that,I want to be someone,I dont understand these guys" ,thats my capricorn sun speaking,my unconscious assumptions about life. sun rules my 3rd and i tend to walk fast as if going to some important meeting,but..i dont. My gemini asc ruler in 9th and pisces moon square asc ensure that im a bit aimless,lack a bit of direction, and stuck in mud pkus the idleness of 8th house and lack of energy of 9th house planets.
I could use moon in 10th and loud jupiter on MC in 9th but moon is irrational and jupiter is too general,not directly related to specific jobs.
By the way how would you interpret sun in 8th ruling 3rd? i tend to want to part with family,except mother, in an extreme way,like in never see them again but im not sure if this is due to sun mars venus in 8th or saturn in 9th plus s node. Mal,efics are extreme so im not surprised about this wanting to avoid cousins,siblings,not talking to neighbours in favour of moving abroad,meeting foreigners,travel. Los of people like to meet foreigners but retain their identity and patriotism. Ive always been more extreme as in just cut off with roots.
A neighbour i used to get on with was shocked when he realised i only wanted to move abroad and couldnt care less abut my homeland,but I feel the need to choose.
if you look at Chris Brennan,his planets are in stakes or in 11th house so he works a lot in these podcasts and courses,i just read ,do some readings as i dont feel much energy,even my guitar playing isnt consistent as venus and mercury are in 8th and 9th

also as AUSTIN says angular planets happen in eary in life,succedent later and cadent much later and with more difficulty

im my experience 9th house is quite energetic..when im abroad or at least far from home city. I get more energy

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
Sun is in 8h house traditionally ruled by Scorpio, yes. But in a specific natal chart the 8h is ruled by whatever sign falls on the cusp. Sun is in Aquarius? But in the 8th. 11h has nothing to do with it. As far as the Sun itself, it's home sign is Leo, home house is 5th, which doesn't figure in either. What figures in is that the Sun is in the 8h in Aquarius, that's it. 🙂 With the cusp of the house being Aquarius I assume.

Traditional astrology does not equate signs with houses, except the houses they actually fall in. The concept of the natural chart, which aligns the fifth house with Leo and the eighth house with Scorpio, is strictly modern astrology. This board is only for posts about traditional astrology. Please stick to traditional astrology in this thread.

Lonerose99

Traditional astrology does not equate signs with houses, except the houses they actually fall in. The concept of the natural chart, which aligns the fifth house with Leo and the eighth house with Scorpio, is strictly modern astrology. This board is only for posts about traditional astrology. Please stick to traditional astrology in this thread.

Thank you for the clarification/correction. 🙂
Whoops, I will pay better attention to the main groupings of posts. Sorry 'bout that. Being new here I have been looking at the What's New/New Posts pages.