Still Need Help with Yod Interpretation...

Arian Maverick

I have posted on this forum several times before with questions concerning the yods in my chart, yet somehow despite all my research I am still dissatisfied. Perhaps it is due to the nature of this configuration, yet I feel something is just beyond my grasp, staring me in the face every time I view my natal chart, just waiting to be discovered...

Could someone please provide some insight if they have a spare moment? I am particularly interested in how my tight Sun-Mercury-Venus conjunction and my Neptune/Saturn conjunction in the twelfth house *shudders* come into play.

Hopefully, this link will work...thank you!

http://www.astro.com/cgi/chart.cgi?rs=3&btyp=w2gw&&cid=vc1fileLf7sI4-u1129157147]

Kite

Hi Aquarian Maverick. I too have Aquarius rising. Your Yod can be interpreted differently depending on what house system you use. If you've been following my thread on Whole House System you would see that if we used that schema, your Yod would have Pluto as the focal point in 10 instead of 9 and your Aries stellium in 3 instead of 2 and your Mars in 5 instead of 4. Uranus would join your other Cap planets in 12 and Chiron would move to 6 from 5. North Node would go to 2 from 1.

You have some very interesting mutual receptions going on between Mercury in Aries which rules the new 5th house of Gemini and Mars in Gemini which rules the new 3rd house of Aries. I have to wonder about brothers and sisters playing some kind of role here in the family dynamics..constantly shifting pointing to the Pluto in Scorpio in the new 10 which could mean a parent that exercises tremendous dominance in the family. The sextile from Pluto to the Saturn/Neptune conjunction in 12 could indicate lots of secrets that undermine one's reality structure and sense of security (Neptune rules new 2nd house of Pisces).

Now with a Yod, I like to look at the polar opposite of the focal planet which in this case is the Pluto in Scorpio in 10. The opposite Sabian degree would be 15 Taurus in 4. This reads as follows:
45__(15°)
MAN WITH RAKISH SILK HAT, MUFFLED, BRAVES THE STORM Supremacy of conscious mind over brute nature forces. Full appreciation of outer difficulties. Great inner resources.
___*When positive, the degree is a superb aplomb arising from the constant rediscovery of greater powers latent in selfhood, and when negative, marked insensibility to all deeper impulses and complete surrender to superficial self-interest

This in the 4th house of family reinforces the picture I get of suppressive forces at home causing you to discover your own inner resources to draw from.

Now - this is a new system I'm working with so I could be totally offbase and if I am..my apologies. By the way, that link didn't work for me I went back to your first post and found your birth data that way.

Kite

Arian Maverick

Wow...thank you for going out of your way like that to answer my post! To make things easier for anyone else kind enough to respond, I'll post my birth information here:

April 5, 1989 at 3:44 AM
Teaneck, NJ

I've read some threads here about the different house systems, but I never suspected their implementation would alter my chart so drastically. Would I still have Aquarius Rising under this system? I resonate strongly with its influence and energy...individualistic expression...the avant-garde...the furthering of humanity’s consciousness. As another native you must surely understand what I mean :D

your Yod would have Pluto as the focal point in 10 instead of 9 and your Aries stellium in 3 instead of 2 and your Mars in 5 instead of 4. Uranus would join your other Cap planets in 12 and Chiron would move to 6 from 5. North Node would go to 2 from 1.

Yes, this does seem to explain a lot...I never really understood why I had a stellium in my second house of finances, as money never seemed to be the central motivation of my existance. I've always written it off as karma from a past life, but even then I thought its influence should manifest in a more conspicuous manner. I'll have to check into the other changes at a later time...it's 11:11 PM as I type these words (is anyone else stalked by this?) and I have a busy day tomorrow.

You have some very interesting mutual receptions going on between Mercury in Aries which rules the new 5th house of Gemini and Mars in Gemini which rules the new 3rd house of Aries. I have to wonder about brothers and sisters playing some kind of role here in the family dynamics..constantly shifting pointing to the Pluto in Scorpio in the new 10 which could mean a parent that exercises tremendous dominance in the family.

It's interesting how you've mentioned family dynamics in your post...I wouldn't say that any one parent "exercises tremendous dominance" although I sometimes viewed my father as doing such when I was younger. He's the typical strong, silent type and can be quite intimidating when angry, but he works incredibly hard to support our family. And besides, my mother never hesitates to use her sharp tongue to put him in his place when need be :D

However, my brother's autism has played a huge role in my life...from an early age I recognized he was "different" from me and soon developed well-sibling syndrome as I strived to be everything he couldn't-- brilliant student, prodigal musician--I simply had to be the best at everything. Needless to say, I could not keep up this exhausting lifestyle and my life eventually spun out of control.

The sextile from Pluto to the Saturn/Neptune conjunction in 12 could indicate lots of secrets that undermine one's reality structure and sense of security (Neptune rules new 2nd house of Pisces).

Ah, this is a whole other kettle of fish, and very fitting indeed...let's just say it hasn't been an easy ride.

Arian Maverick

Any other observations, anyone? How would these house changes affect the overall flavor of the yod? I'm still very literal when it comes to the interpretation of these things, but I'll give it a go, and maybe someone can correct me if my reasoning is off, which it most probably will be :wink:

When considering Stelliums, the most important thing to keep in mind is that an individual with a Stellium ¬ even only a Stellium by Sign ¬ will have a very strong emphasis on and experience of the energy represented by that sign...If the planets are actually conjunct each other, this intensity and focus grows to encompass more than a mere affinity for the experiences and energy of a particular sign.

Since I have four personal planets/luminaries in Aries, and three of bodies are conjunct each other with an orb no greater than one degree, I believe that it is safe to say that this is the major influence in my chart. The Sun is exalted in Aries and has the support of Mercury and Venus, so my sense of self (Sun) is intimately connected with my ability to think and communicate (Mercury) and my great appreciation of love and beauty (Venus). All of these bodies are in the 3rd house of one's "immediate environment."

Mars and Jupiter would now be in the 5th house in Gemini...these planets aren't conjunct, so since I'm mostly concerned with my yod points, I'll ignore Jupiter for now. Mars' placement in Gemini is relatively weak by sign--perhaps this is too simple an explanation, but Mars is direct and Gemini tends to be scattered. Anyway, the archetype of Mars is how you project your sense of self to others, so this planet in Gemini would indicate a tendency for me to express myself through words and intellect. Its placement is in the 5th house of love, courtship, and children.

Alas, my fiery Aries energy is quickly becoming inpatient and beckons me to other matters it deems to be of greater importance, so I will stop this endeavor for now. However, I still have not taken a stab at the relationsip between my Aries stellium and Mars or both of their inconjuncts to Pluto in Scorpio in 10th house...and there is still my Neptune/Saturn in Capricorn in the 12th house sextile Pluto in 10th house both inconjunct Mars in 5th house *sigh*

I seem to have all the pieces in my metaphorical box, but I'm botching up its assembly. If only astrology had more precise directions...

Until Next Time,
Aquarian Maverick

wilsontc

Staff member
Similarities of both house systems

Maverick,

What I like to do in this situation of trying to look at a chart using multiple chart systems is to look at what DOESN'T change. So, for Placidus you have:
- stellium (collection of energy) in 2nd house (physical, also values)
and in whole sign houses you have:
- North node (future goals) focused in the 2nd house

So, any way you look at it, you have a focus on values

For Placidus you have:
- Mars (being, also action) focused near your 5th house (self-expression)
and in whole sign houses you have:
- Mars focused in your 5th house

So, any way you look at it it is important for you to have an active self-exrpression

Now let's look only at planets (which eliminates the difference between the two house systems, since we are NOT looking at houses):
- Aries modifying Sun (self-expression, sun in sign of exaltation - strong energy)
Self-expression is VERY important to you

- Pluto (transformation, also power, control) as focus of Yod
- Pluto is "most elevated planet" (planet at top of chart - same for both house systems)
Being "in control" is VERY important to you

Looking for the commonalities,

Tim

For more about basic astrology see: http://www.geocities.com/wilsontctc

Arian Maverick

Your method makes a lot of sense, and like always, your observations are right-on.

Now, I've read before that yods are compulsive configurations due to the nature of the inconjunct, and they tend to instill their natives with a sense of frustration because they are constantly trying to assimilate two or more unlike energies. When found in natal charts, this energy (especially that of the inconjunct) "can often translate in natal charts to obsessive/compulsive disorders, and other sorts of chronic, unresolvable conditions." I've struggled with OCD and acute perfectionism in the past, so of course I was intrigued. Are there any indicators in my yods that might suggest this vulnerability? And is the "Finger of God" pointing to some answer to correct or alleviate this?

Many Thanks,
Aquarian Maverick

wilsontc

Staff member
Pluto as psychology

Maverick,

You asked:
When found in natal charts, this energy (especially that of the inconjunct) "can often translate in natal charts to obsessive/compulsive disorders, and other sorts of chronic, unresolvable conditions." I've struggled with OCD and acute perfectionism in the past, so of course I was intrigued. Are there any indicators in my yods that might suggest this vulnerability? And is the "Finger of God" pointing to some answer to correct or alleviate this?

You have a Yod focused on Pluto, which can also mean control and is associated with "psychology", so you may have the ability to psycho-analyze yourself and others. If we look at Pluto as "control" the issue then becomes "trusting". People who NEED to have control are people who do not "trust" that things will go right unless they are there to control every step of the process. The most exaggerated form of control is obsessive-compulsive disorder, in which the person has GREAT difficulty in letting go of control of any situation.

The challenge is to develop faith in the process, in yourself, in the things themselves. This is indicated by your having Pisces (spirituality) modifying North node (life goals) (this is true in BOTH house systems! ;) ). So there is a need to have faith, perhaps a spiritual faith that "Everything is going to be OK. I can do this process once and it will STAY done, even when I go away." You are probably already aware of this (since the North node is strongly focused in your chart), but continue to work on developing faith in the things you do, and, along with it, letting go of the need to control the outcome of things.

Faithfully,

Tim

Kite

Good advice Tim. I would also add that I see competition (3rd house stellium in Aries) for attention (5th house Mars in Gemini) in your family is perhaps creating an overachievement pattern (Pluto in Scorpio in 10). This maniacal focus on achievement could be a great sourse of energy to draw from but could also throw you out of balance and create secret enemies (12th house stellium) that would oppose you.

The way out is to realize that recognition and approval need to come from within. When you look for it outside yourself there will never be enough to satisfy you.

Best,

Kite

Arian Maverick

Wow, I woke up this morning to find two new responses...I feel like my birthday came early this year! :D

The challenge is to develop faith in the process, in yourself, in the things themselves. This is indicated by your having Pisces (spirituality) modifying North node (life goals) (this is true in BOTH house systems! ). So there is a need to have faith, perhaps a spiritual faith that "Everything is going to be OK. I can do this process once and it will STAY done, even when I go away." You are probably already aware of this (since the North node is strongly focused in your chart), but continue to work on developing faith in the things you do, and, along with it, letting go of the need to control the outcome of things.

Yes, I have been acutely aware of these things for some time now...but how is my North Node "strongly focused" in my chart? It doesn't seem to have any major aspects as far as I can tell, unless you're considering a triangular configuration that appears to be vaguely pointing in that direction...

I would also add that I see competition (3rd house stellium in Aries) for attention (5th house Mars in Gemini) in your family is perhaps creating an overachievement pattern (Pluto in Scorpio in 10). This maniacal focus on achievement could be a great sourse of energy to draw from but could also throw you out of balance and create secret enemies (12th house stellium) that would oppose you.

I have always yearned to be recognized for my achievements, but having been raised in a manner similar to that of an only child, I've never really had to compete with anyone in my family to receive this attention. In fact, for as long as I can remember, my parents have been concerned with how hard I drive myself to achieve and have made many efforts to somehow reverse this...ironically, I have probably received more attention for the problems I have developed over time than for my countless collection of (now meaningless) certificates and pins.

As far as secret enemies go--of course achievement breeds resentment, but I don't think too many people have a personal vendetta against me. But then again, the twelfth is the house of secret enemies, so perhaps such people are shrouded by the workings of the subconscious, lurking in the shadows and waiting for the right opportunity to strike. I can only hope that I was not foolish enough to accumulate hordes of bad karma in a previous life, but the dynamics of my chart are not generally auspicious...

Fortunately, I only have two oppositions in my natal chart and an abundance of squares, so I believe that most of my bad karma is that which I have done unto myself. I do not consider myself to have many enemies outside my own pysche, as I have been too busy wrestling with my own inner demons to cultivate such relationships. Interestingly, the moon was in its balsamic phase the day I was born, indicating this lifetime to be a very karmic one. And indeed it has been.

Astrology Weekly's Resident Teenage Brooder,
Aquarian Maverick

P.S. Is anyone here familar with past life astrology? Because I have the strangest feeling that I was involved in the French Revolution in a past lifetime...my stationary (R) Uranus in my chart might be an indicator of something like this, but besides for retrograde planets, I have know idea how to go about disecting my chart for clues. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kite

Sorry Maverick I was picking up on this previous post you made and read it wrong
However, my brother's autism has played a huge role in my life...from an early age I recognized he was "different" from me and soon developed well-sibling syndrome as I strived to be everything he couldn't-- brilliant student, prodigal musician--I simply had to be the best at everything. Needless to say, I could not keep up this exhausting lifestyle and my life eventually spun out of control.

I think this well child syndrome as you put it is reflective of the Yod.

Arian Maverick

I think this well child syndrome as you put it is reflective of the Yod.

Are you referring to the general nature of this configuration, or in a specific combination of energies?

Also, we've talked about the significance of the yod with apex Pluto quite a bit, with Pluto representing transformation, psychology, need for control etc. What about my second yod with Pluto forming a sextile to a Saturn/Neptune conjunction with apex Mars?

Also, Tim once mentioned that I had a third yod or boomerang, although I am having difficulties finding it...wait...perhaps this is the emphasis on the North Node he was referring to? I'll have to locate that post...ah, here it is:

To simplify problems such as this, I consider conjunctions or stelliums (conjuntions of more than 2 planetary energies) one group of energies in itself. So, using this simplified system, you have three Yods, one pointing to Mars (being, also action), one to Pluto (tranformation), and one to the South node. However, since the Nodes are always in opposition to each other, the Yod to the South node is actually a Boomerang to the North node (future goals). I think of Yods and Boomerangs as simply a way of focusing planetary energy, so you have a focus on action, transformation, and future goals, using this system.

What aspects make this yod a boomerang, and what are its implications?

Constantly Striving for Answers,
Aquarian Maverick

Kite

Also, we've talked about the significane of the yod with apex Pluto quite a bit, with Pluto representing transformation, psychology, need for control etc. What about my second yod with Pluto forming a sextile to a Saturn/Neptune conjunction with apex Mars?

I think it speaks to an insatiable curiousty 8)

Arian Maverick

I think it speaks to an insatiable curiousty

How so?

...I guess this "insatiable curiosity " is pretty obvious with that question and all the others, huh? I've got WAY too much Aries energy in my chart, and combined with an Aquarius Ascendent, it's a lethal combination :D

Aquarian Maverick

wilsontc

Staff member
North node focus

Maverick,

You asked:
...how is my North Node "strongly focused" in my chart?...What aspects make this yod [to the South node] a boomerang, and what are its implications?...

As you mentioned, your North node is focused by the Boomerang pattern (Yod with an opposition to the focal planet of the Yod), it is also part of a T-square between the North and South nodes focused on Jupiter (expansion, also wisdom). Jupiter is the ancient ruler of Pisces...and you have Pisces modifying North node!

The aspects to the North node are not easily seen on Astrodienst because they do not show on their chart aspects to the North node, and do not show the South node at all in their default chart. The Boomerang is formed by Ascendant sextile Aries stellium (collection of energy) focused on the South node and then RE-focused on the North node. This might create a sense of "going into the past in order to move forward in the present", for any focusing on your "easy" abilities will automatically force you to focus on your upcoming life challenges.

The focus on Gemini (thinking) modifying Mars (being, also action) focused in 5th house (self-expression) can create a focus on INTENSE active thinking about your self-expression...as maybe you have noticed! ;)

Strongly focused,

Tim

Arian Maverick

Tim, do you know any way I could view my complete chart with aspects to the North Node? Perhaps could you do me a huge favor and e-mail me a picture? My e-mail address is In2Netting@gmail.com.

I've recently been given a link to Astrolabe but I'm also having some difficulties with this program...it shows many more aspects than Astrodienst does, but I cannot locate my yods anywhere and everything looks tangled. I had no idea until you mentioned it that I had a boomerang or a T-square in my natal chart...I feel like I'm trying to complete a puzzle with missing pieces, and I'm driving myself to distraction.

Indeed, I feel a strong sense of destiny for a young person my age, but I have no idea what I'm supposed to accomplish here in this incarnation--not a clue. I've been looking towards astrology for answers to questions I have long deemed unanswerable, trying to figure out who I am and why I'm here...yet there's something missing. There's always something missing. Are we currently experiencing any difficult transits that might explain this confusion and this urgency?

Dazed and Confused,
Aquarian Maverick

Kite

Maverick - I'll let others comment on the transits. Usually we look to the North Node to see the direction the soul wants to go. You have NN in Pisces in 2 which I would read as a need to reconnect with the collective oneness by drawing upon your inner resources to teach (Jupiter square the nodes in 5 in Gemini).

Since Jupiter forms a t-square with your Nodes, I look at the Sabian Symbol at the polar point of the Jupiter apex which would be at 5 Sag:

245__(5°)
HIGH ON AN OLD TREE,A SOLITARY OWL IS GRAVELY PERCHED Poised observation upon the drama of life. Mellow judgement. Ingrained confidence in the situation and worth of the self.
___*When positive, the degree is exceptional wisdom or effective self-restraint in each detail of personal accomplishment, and when negative, self-betraying intellectual and emotional smugness.

With Chiron in 6 in Cancer perhaps you could also be a good healer. You are so young though..such serious questions at your age need to be balanced by some fun. Take courses in college when you get there that interest you. You will find that your purpose comes directly from your passion.

Over and out.
Kite

Arian Maverick

With Chiron in 6 in Cancer perhaps you could also be a good healer. You are so young though..such serious questions at your age need to be balanced by some fun.

You sound like my mom...and I mean that in the nicest way :D

Take courses in college when you get there that interest you. You will find that your purpose comes directly from your passion.

That's another reason why I'm so interested in astrology...I've still got another year of high school after this one, but unlike many of my friends, I have no idea what I want to do with my life. I have a passion for music-- which may or may not be indicated in my chart because the talent seemed to spring from no where--but like everything else I focused my energies on, I simply had to be the best. I have major performance anxiety (any possible indicators?) and auditions are my worst nightmare, so unfortunately I doubt I could make it in the uber-competitive music industry.

I heard that you should look to the Midheaven to find your ideal career, and I have mine in Scorpio. What does this suggest, and are there any other factors I should consider when evaluating possible careers?

Many Thanks,
Aquarian Maverick