Stellium. Do planets have to be conjunct?

ricca91

The thing I don't really understand about stellia by sign is whether all the planets have to be conjunct in order for it to be a stellium or is it enough if 3 or more planets are in a sign but not all conjunct? For example, I have Sun conj. Mars and Mercury conj. Pluto all in Scorpio, but the 4 are not conjunct together.

Sun is at 2º, Mars at 5º, Mercury at 16º and Pluto at 19º.

So the question is: is it a stellium or not?

Thank you very much!

greybeard

There are two types of stellium, stellium by sign and stellium by house. Both types, as I use them, require that a minimum of 4 planets, at least two of which are not Sun, Mercury or Venus, occupy one sign or one house or both.

The planets need not be in formal conjunction, but are considered as if in conjunction.

The stellium by sign is the stronger of the two because it emphasizes Quality and Element (as well as Circumstance...house emphasis).

In its nature the stellium represents Exceptional and (probably) Excessive Concentration of Power. That is why it should comprise 4 planets...exceptional concentration.

Last edited:

Starsareround

There are two types of stellium, stellium by sign and stellium by house. Both types, as I use them, require that a minimum of 4 planets, at least two of which are not Sun, Mercury or Venus, occupy one sign or one house or both.

The planets need not be in formal conjunction, but are considered as if in conjunction.

So if you have 3 planets like my Venus, Saturn and Moon all conjunct in Leo, what is that called? a triple conjunction? And how is it different in effects than a stellium?

greybeard

It is a triple conjunction. It does not accumulate the exceptional concentration of power that 4 planets do.

A triple conjunction and a stellium are quite similar. It is a matter of quantity, or raw power. The increase in power creates a difference in quality. We could compare a 1000 pound bomb (triple conjunction) with Hiroshima (stellium). Hiroshima got the attention of the Imperial Japanese High Command in a way that the fire-bombing of Tokyo did not.

I repeat, "as I use them."

Starsareround

It is a triple conjunction. It does not accumulate the exceptional concentration of power that 4 planets do.

A triple conjunction and a stellium are quite similar. It is a matter of quantity, or raw power. The increase in power creates a difference in quality. We could compare a 1000 pound bomb (triple conjunction) with Hiroshima (stellium). Hiroshima got the attention of the Imperial Japanese High Command in a way that the fire-bombing of Tokyo did not.

I repeat, "as I use them."

****. Wish I had Sun in the Mix as well. Just short of a Stellium :crying:
I do know that some astrologers would consider my triple conjunction one, but I agree, I think that term should be reserved for 4 or more planets.

greybeard

there is much in "modern" astrology that has changed from its original form, and seldom for the better.

For one thing, the modern student of astrology does not have to know a thing about astronomy. Charts and derivations of charts are calculated and tabulated at the speed of light.

I am old, and old-fashioned. But by calculation of charts "by hand" you come to understand the astronomy, and the astronomy is the bedrock of astrology and its interpretations. If you [generic you] and I walked outdoors tonight and I asked "Where is the Midheaven?"...you couldn't tell me.

Starsareround

Astronomy is why I love astrology. And I just stepped out of my lab at work to locate the midheaven. Okay and to dispel the curse of the Chat Thread.

The first astrologer to ever read my chart back in 1990, he spent a week on it. The math and then the interpretation. Can you imagine getting that much of someone's attention today?

Jovee1982

The stellium by sign is the stronger of the two because it emphasizes Quality and Element (as well as Circumstance...house emphasis).

In its nature the stellium represents Exceptional and (probably) Excessive Concentration of Power. That is why it should comprise 4 planets...exceptional concentration.

Interesting... Sorry to impose but I have a question on this also.

I have Saturn, Mars, Pluto in Libra all in the 8th house- this is not exactly a stellium, correct? What does it mean when is is conjunct all in signs and houses?

I also have Sun, Mercury and Venus all in the 12 house but my sun is Capricorn and Mercury and Venus both in Aquarius.

greybeard

Saturn, Mars, Pluto....8th House....
Both Mars and Pluto are "8th House" planets....
That would catch my attention, stellium or no.
Three planets in a sign or house have extra power, stellium or no.
Mars and Pluto share some qualities...Saturn and Mars are enemies.

Analyze each planet separately, according to its conditioning. Work out individual meanings. Also don't forget to look carefully at Venus, who rules the house. She influences the whole thing in a deep way. Is Venus 12th House in your chart? or 11th?
The 11th is the "Good Daemon", while the 12th is distress.

Work out the details of Venus first, as she is "controlling". The 3 planets in her sign/house are subject to Venus. All 4 are in Air; what does that say/do? Saturn and Venus are in Mutual reception.

Mars is in Detriment. Saturn is Exalted. Sun is in Saturn's sign; his ruler is "happy" by sign at least. That helps Sun perform in a more positive way.

We need to convert "Saturn in Libra in the 8th House" (with all its conditions included) into some sort of statement in Human Terms. The horoscope is the Plan, blueprint, of a human being. Turn the chart into a description of one...You. We tend to think in terms of astrology and forget that the whole purpose of astrology is to understand the Human that the chart depicts.

Jovee1982

Saturn, Mars, Pluto....8th House....
Both Mars and Pluto are "8th House" planets....
That would catch my attention, stellium or no.
Three planets in a sign or house have extra power, stellium or no.
Mars and Pluto share some qualities...Saturn and Mars are enemies.

Analyze each planet separately, according to its conditioning. Work out individual meanings. Also don't forget to look carefully at Venus, who rules the house. She influences the whole thing in a deep way. Is Venus 12th House in your chart? or 11th?
The 11th is the "Good Daemon", while the 12th is distress.

Work out the details of Venus first, as she is "controlling". The 3 planets in her sign/house are subject to Venus. All 4 are in Air; what does that say/do? Saturn and Venus are in Mutual reception.

Mars is in Detriment. Saturn is Exalted. Sun is in Saturn's sign; his ruler is "happy" by sign at least. That helps Sun perform in a more positive way.

We need to convert "Saturn in Libra in the 8th House" (with all its conditions included) into some sort of statement in Human Terms. The horoscope is the Plan, blueprint, of a human being. Turn the chart into a description of one...You. We tend to think in terms of astrology and forget that the whole purpose of astrology is to understand the Human that the chart depicts.

Wow !! 😮... I can’t wait to analyze all that was said !!! Thank you for your insight... To tell you the truth I always felt lost until I got to know my chart which help me understand why i do what I do, feel how i feel. It helped me tremendously with understanding.