Solar Return against birth chart and profected chart

aldebaran

I wonder what would be the different meanings of applying a Solar Revolution in synastry with a Birth Chart and with a Profected Birth Chart.

Perhaps the meanings of the transits(solar revolution) towards the Birth Chart would relate to the general life of the person as a whole?

And the meanings of the transits(solar revolution) towards the Profected Chart would be what really mean most in that exact year? (And using the Profected Chart house rulers to understand the planets in that year for that purpose)

I'm wondering.

dr. farr

Depends upon one's tastes, and expertise in methodology. In general (and in my opinion) solar returns + transits are probably the easiest approaches to master, followed by secondary progressions.

Me? I use equally Pauline profection and simple symbolic porgression (1 degree advance per 1 year of life); I don't find (using these methods) that I need to use solar return very frequently; transits I do look at...

aldebaran

In Pauline profection, to count the months, it would be starting with the day of birth right? (Like from 12th to 12th of each month), and to count days, the day starts in the hour of birth?

Also, if you are profecting Mercury for example, in a year that the person is 25 years old. You would profect it having the birth chart as background, or having the "whole map profected for 25" as background?

Sorry if I'm asking too much or too confusing.

In simple symbolic progression the planets move very slowly (if I right understood), so it would be more to see big changes in life, or it can help in seeing details somehow?

Without using a Solar Return to get let's say "more information" about a specific year, using only profections and having only the birth chart as a basis of information, it's possible to predict more and less detailed information?

dr. farr

In simple symbolic progression the planets move very slowly (if I right understood), so it would be more to see big changes in life, or it can help in seeing details somehow?

Without using a Solar Return to get let's say "more information" about a specific year, using only profections and having only the birth chart as a basis of information, it's possible to predict more and less detailed information?

In simple progression, each planet or other chart point advances 1 degree for every years of life; you then look to see any aspect or conjunction the progressed planet might make with a natal (called radical) planet (or point), so yes one can get detailed information from this method. One starts the count from the date of birth: by 1 year of age each natal planet and other horoscopic point has moved 1 degree forward from its natal position; time can be further divided here: 1 degree = 60 minutes, so 6 DAYS = 1 MINUTE OF ARC: example: Mars natal @ 10 Taurus: at 28 years and 1 month, where is the progressed Mars? 10 Taurus + 28 degrees (1 degree progression per year of life) = 8 Gemini; and 1 month = 5 six-day periods = 5 minutes of further progression: so, natal Mars has progressed to 8 Gemini 05 when the person has reached 28 years and 1 month of age.

dr. farr

In Pauline profection,
if you are profecting Mercury for example, in a year that the person is 25 years old. You would profect it having the birth chart as background, or having the "whole map profected for 25" as background?
/QUOTE]

Depends upon what you wish to investigate: if investigation ONLY the profected Mercury you would use the natal chart as background to compare with the profected Mercury; however if you were looking at the entire chart for a general profected reading you would have the whole map profected (against the whole natal map) for the profection year.

aldebaran

Thank you, your words gave me a lot of things to explore. I'm already very glad with the results I'm having with Pauline profection - and the dodeks, which you emphasized in other topic.

I have some curiosity though about the use of monomoiria and stars. It's because the dodeks I have a sign, house, aspects to see so usually I can identify better it's influences, but the monomoiria(and the same would be for decans, etc) being only an influence of certain kind over the planet, I get confused about how to exactly measure or "feel" this very influence.
The same thing would go for stars, because most descriptions I found are of the kind "Star of Mercury and Mars nature", and I get the same problem - difficult to figure how exactly to understand and visualize this influence.

Do you think there's some trick about it or only experience would make easier to see such influences? How you handle star descriptions that include concrete realities like "good to marriage" etc, you think they are reliable? Or perhaps such concrete descriptions can be made abstract by the astrologer? Thanks.

dr. farr

I consider star indications the most important of all modifying factors affecting planets (or Lots or other horoscopic points); I use the stars only by conjunction (generally under 2 degrees) and by parallel of declination (1.5 degree generally maximum) I use indications mostly from Robson but also take indications from Morse and other star-indication authors (Robson: "Fixed Stars & Constellations in Astrology"; Morse, "The Living Stars")

I use the star connection indications to modify the net indications for any given planet (or other horoscopic point), and I try to understand the "gist" or trend or tendency of star influence, rather than looking at the attributes given stars by Ptolemy (eg, a Saturn/Jupiter star or a Mercury/Venus star, etc)-I derive the trend or gist of the star indications from the descriptive text appended to each star in Robson, and the discussion of the specific star in Morse. Further, I LOOK AT THE STAR INDICATIONS FROM AN ANALOGICAL PERSPECTIVE RATHER THAN BEING A LITERALIST REGARDING THE INDICATIONS GIVEN: I think following an analogical rather than literal perspective is important since much of the older indications/influences attributed to stars by the ancients is rather drastic. Use analogy with the indications of the stars and it works quite well.

I absolutely believe that star connections have the POTENTIAL to COMPLETELY ALTER the influences (net influences) of a given planet in a given chart, so I consider star connections quite important to obtaining an accurate chart delineation.