Singletons: Pioneers of the natal chart!

Howl

I think it's time to dedicate a thread to all those singleton planets out there, whether they be single by element, modality, or their placement in the chart.

Basically I think of a singleton as the only planet "doing" one thing, "acting" in one area. It's going it alone, a pioneer :D

To kick it off, I will introduce my first singleton: 11H gemini moon. It is a singleton by virtue of my chart shape (being the only planet outside of houses 3 to 7) and also my chart ruler. I feel that it describes my personality to a significant degree, perhaps more so than moon placement ususally does.

I also recently revisited the idea that planets can be singletons by element or modality. I have a question abut this. If you have other points/non traditional planets (nodes, ascendant, descendant, MC, IC, chiron) as well as a planet in one element or modality, do you still consider the planet a singleton?

For example, I have mars in virgo, and jupiter in scorpio. Only one planet in earth, only one in water. But, I also have chiron and descendant in earth, and ascendant in water. Do you think that mars and jupiter are singletons?

I'd be happy to hear anyones opinion on this. I'm also keen to hear abut your own singletons, and how important you consider them to be :D

Last edited:

pisceskitty

my Pluto in Libra sits all by it's lonesome in the 12th house. I've found myself staring at it lately. I've never paid much attention to it until recently. It's trine My Jupiter in Aquarius in the 4th.

Lunar Pisces

Only the major planets are considered singletons. Chiron is still debated, but it's likely to not to gain to singleton option, mainly because its energy is more complimentary and "in concert" with the major planets, rather than being representative of its own unique domain. Any calculated point - angles, nodes, etc. - definitely do not count. Like with aspect configurations, we're talking about unique energy, and only bodies emit energy. So for singletons, it has to be a body, and very significant and unique one in its own right at that. So thus, only the major planets (including the luminaries) count.

Singletons are best regarded as a mixed blessings, IMO. I brag about mine - Uranus (cardinal) and Neptune (fire) - although those definitely have their down sides. In my chart, I like my singletons because they are undeniably strong, but given the complexity of my chart, it can be a problem some times. Uranus is part of an air grand trine/kite (with Sun. Mercury, Mars and Chiron), which it tends to dominate. At times I feel that Uranus directs my Sun and chart ruler more than it probably should. It also rules my Mars and NN by sign, and rules my Sun by decan. So it gets its way a lot. Neptune on the other hand, rules my moon by sign, so it dominates my other luminary that way.

On the brighter side, Uranus singletons are linked to genius and great progress, and Neptune singletons to creativity and profound spirituality. I can't complain about that. However, malefic planets as singletons can be very malefic in a chart, and I see that in myself too. The combined influences of these two singletons, and their uber dominance in my chart seems to lead me to a state of existence where I feel constantly at odds with the world I live in, needing to demand my independence from society and even nature (Uranus) while yearning deeply for a spiritual connection with others and the universe (Neptune). Uranus singleton people tend to never fit into society, seeming to involuntarily play out some catalytic destiny and often sacrificing much along the way, including their own happiness. Neptune singelton people often feel lost and alienated in this world, like an alien abandoned on the wrong planet. I can say I see myself in both.

Howl

Hi Pisceskitty and Lunar Pisces :)

Thanks for your thoughts! Lunar Pisces, you've helped me to consider my own singletons in a little more depth. I didn't think that a "point", such as the ascendant, could BE a singleton, but I do wonder, for example, if my ascendant wasn't cancer, whether my jupiter in scorpio water singleton be "stronger" as a singleton. I suspect so.

Either way, this means that I have THREE singletons. How exciting ;)

1. Gemini moon 11 H (only planet in the 'universal' or 'transpersonal' houses)
2. Jupiter scorpio 4H conjunct nadir (only water planet).
3. Virgo mars 3H (only earth planet)

My brief interpretation of these is:

1. Emotional need for humanitarian ideals, manifested in thought/communication/social association
2. BIG, powerful emotions, experienced within internal self. Jupiter is also conjunct Pluto ;)
3. Drive to assert myself through grounded, critical and precise thought, to mentally improve things

I associate the placements with other things, like "many friends" and "making a good social impression" for moon in 11H gemini, but at the deepest level this is how I see them.

Last edited:

pisceskitty

Hi Howl,

My Moon in Gemini sits all alone in the 9th house. My Jupiter in Aquarius also sits alone in the 4th. Very interesting thread!..oh, and I almost forgot my Uranus in Libra sits alone in the 1st.

Last edited:

Summery Joy

Well, I have Mars in Cancer, Pluto in Libra and Uranus in Scorpio. But Pluto and Uranus have such a generational effect that I consider Mars My only planet in a cardinal sign and ina water sign. And It's true. I can feel the effect of Mars as ssuch a singleton.

Lunar Pisces

Howl - An ASC can't rob energy or steal a planet's thunder, and certainly not a singleton's. If anything, it enables a planet that has an agreeable placement to be more expressive. So in your case, yourASC likely doesn't weaken your water singleton, but enables it to express itself more.

sorehearted - if we just decide to make up rules for these things as we go, without any constant or cohesive logic, there's no value to saying this or that's a singleton. Besides, there's severeal other variables to explain why your Mars seems strong.

Some more general info:

The accepted logic behind a singleton is that it's:

1) a major body
2) which is the sole representative of a specific quality (element, modality, polarity, orientation) in the chart
3) and thus magnifies that quality through its own unique energies

Moreover, in this magnification of energies through sole representation, certain "abnormalities" and "eccentricities" arise, like something overgrown, mutated or even cancerous. It's not just a matter of a planet being "strong" in a chart. They normally create serious imbalances in a chart, as they compete with the chart's natural dominant players, the Sun and moon. Basically a singleton upsets the natural order of things, and as with all thing in nature, there'll be reprecussions. By and large, all singletons have a serious malefic side, even "nice" planets like Jupiter, which as a singleton is fond of inflicting a potentially dangerous "God complex" in its natives.

For example, Neptune's energies are very idealistic, spiritual and cosmological in nature, and yet as a singleton, these energies are amplified until they turn against the native, making the native a profoundly alienated and restless person who cannot find spiritual peace in this life. The spiritual need that a Neptune singleton creates is so vast that it's virutally hopeless that the native will find fulfillment in the here and now. Sure, Neptune singletons have driven many people to do great and wonderful things, often in the areas of humaritarism, spirituality, art and even science, yet for the native, there's great personal cost for the imbalances created by such a powerful influence. These people often do much for others and society, yet end up still feeling deeply empty, alone, perhaps disillusioned (like me - I work with special needs kids, which I'm very good at. Yet I never feel like what I do adds up to anything, despite my successes). While people with Neptune singletons are often very talented and do have many gifts, the haunting emptiness they feel often develops into chronic depression (here here), substance abuse problems and some may even resort to suicide. Hemingway, who had a 10H conjuncted air singleton of Neptune and Pluto in Gemini (wide 9 degree conjunction), was an example of this: a revolutionary and successful writer and Nobel Prize winner, yet restless, unfulfilled, haunted, alcoholic, chronically depressed, and being true to both his singletons, he committed suicide (Neptune) by a gunshot to the head (Pluto=decapitation).

So, be aware that singletons are heavy-handed placements, and often cause a lot of stress and debility for whatever benefits they bring. I caution strongly against overly cheery-eyed interps of these.

If you want to read more about singletons from another, more qualified astrologer's point of view, go here.

Last edited:

Howl

Hi Lunar Pisces

I was thinking about this before you posted, after my last post :) True, mine are rather a "cheery-eyed" interpretations. I do tend to verge on the optimistc, especially at the moment while I write my posts quickly and spend little time reflecting.

I have read the "moon as a singleton" article at the link you suggested previously. I found it somewhat pessimistic, actually. It highlights the moon as singleton as a significant aspect of the personality (I agree) but also tends to flag "mother issues" and "inner child that never grows up" issues, which I don't see myself as "suffering" from, as such.

Of course, no one on the forum could really tell if I DO have the personality of a petulant child, and am simply unable to see it myself. I don't believe that I do. I suppose, to the author's credit, they do also state that:

The “inner child” at his or her best is highly creative, lively and playful, full of boundless energy...An individual with a Moon singleton needs creative, positive outlets
Its a fairly nice summary of how I see my OWN moon singleton moon
Positive: I am creative, and do have a playful personality
Negative: I do NEED positive outlets for 11H gemini moon

As I suggested before, I see these outlets as humanitarian/social in nature. To be honest, when I am not active in these areas in a positive sense, I do NEED more emotional attention from friends. Supposedly, the worst of this position might be exceptionally rapid moodswings, social pettiness and jealousy, or just a huge, unsatisfiable emotional need for recognition and attention in social settings. Perhaps due to the rest of my chart, I really don't see these things as being me. I also don't see myself as having mother issues. Hmmm.

The only consistent downfall of my moon placement that I can describe is this: I engage emotionally very easily with "friend" (aquarian/gemini style) contact, yet sometimes "turn off" to a single person's emotions when they are very demanding. I don't "feel" it. The result is that sometimes I don't engage emotionally with people who need a lot from me, I find it alienating. Venus in the seventh house may go a fair way towards balancing that out. So might jupiter as a water singleton in the fourth (however, that one is probably more about my emotions than other people's)

If you don't mind replying again, I'd be interested to know if you have any suggestions specific to 11H gemini moon and how it might manifest in negative ways? I'll admit that sometimes it takes me a while to realise my own behaviour :D I guess that my argument is this: the excess energy/focus CAN manifest positively.

I am currently reading the Jupiter and Mars singlteton pages on the same link. As a Sagittarian sun sign, I find the Jupiter singleton page hilarious :D

Last edited:

Howl

PiscesKitty,

do you consider the planets you mentioned singletons by placement? Are they they only planets on one 'side' or 'third' of the chart? I'm not sure if this is what you mean :)

So far you mentioned one planet in the 1st, 4th, 9th and 12th houses. Being a singleton by placement, if I understand correctly, would mean that one planet is the ONLY occupant of a group of four(?) or more houses, being alone in at least one third of the chart. For me, the moon in house 11 is the only planet in houses (8,9,10,11,12,1,2)

Rubella

Until this thread I didn't think I have singletons in my chart... but I've found two:

1. Pluto, the only planted in the Fixed modality, succedent house ( 2nd house ), and a social sign. That's makes it 3 times a singleton.

2. Mars, the only planet in the 'Universal' houses, one of my chart rulers.

I think those are ill omened singletons, both are malefic planets, and strong ones, especially the Pluto.

How do I read their energy?

Rubella

Until this thread I didn't think I have singletons in my chart... but I've found two:

1. Pluto, the only planted in the Fixed modality, succedent house ( 2nd house ), and a social sign. That's makes it 3 times a singleton.

2. Mars, the only planet in the 'Universal' houses, one of my chart rulers.

I think those are ill omened singletons, both are malefic planets, and strong ones, especially the Pluto. They are also part of a double yod, in one Mars is the apex and in the other is it Pluto.

How do I read their energy?

I have one singleton planet (Neptune, singleton once); is that right? Can someone please verify this with my chart above, I haven't heard of this concept before so I am practicing on myself.

My reasoning:
* I have more than one planet that is Air, Fire and Water. I have none in Earth.
* I have more than one planet that are in Cardinal houses, Fixed houses and Mutable houses.
* I have more than one planet that are in Angular houses, I have more than one planet in cadent houses (venus and mars).
* I have only one planet in the succedent houses - Neptune.

Therefore, I have a singleton Neptune with it being once singleton (being the only planet that is succedent).

Last edited:

Howl

Hey Rubella, long time no see :) Try looking at the link Lunar Pisces provided:

http://www.astrologyclub.org/articles/singletons/intro/singleton_intro.htm

Also, sit down and think for a while about what the planet(s) involved signify in their rawest form, positive and negative. Then think generally how the house(s) and sign(s) involved, and what they mean to you, how planets in these placements might manifest. I reckon you can come up with a better specific interpretation than I have seen available on the net, anyway.

The yod aspects sound fascinating. I'm not so famailiar with yods yet ;)

I also suspect the way in which the planet is a singleton might make a difference to the way in which it behaves. I have the most difficulty thinking of singletons by chart orientation. What DOES it mean to have only one planet in the universal houses? Let me know if you have any breakthroughs ;)

23, I had a look at your chart, your reasoning seems sound and your conclusions accurate. I think you're right :D

Howl

Heheh, just looking at my mars (earth) singleton. As a woman, I am considered likely to project mars, even more so as its a singleton. That's true enough in that I am unfailingly attracted to earthy men (yes, the latest was a virgo). However, I am not attracted to, nor do I attract aggressive type alfa-male ultra-mars men. Just don't like em ;)

Mars, as my only earth, is in 3H Virgo. Instinctively I'd say this gives me an assertive, possibly aggressive, intellect, and potential for sharp, critical words. It also suggests a sort of mental practicality. It might give me a short temper, and combative, critical approach to siblings, or people who challenge my ideas.

All of those are true to a degree. The short temper is the one thing that I have learned to "reign in". The astrology club, amusingly, lists the following as signs of "inferior function" - such as me trying to express earthy vigo mars, which is not 'fire/air' like the rest of me:

SUBLIMATION - "I'm not doing it, I'm writing a book about it,"
REPRESSION/SUPPRESSION - "I know what it is, but I do not do it!" Such as, "I may feel angry, but I stuff it

Mutable mars singletons are said to dispace anger: "Mutable’s displacement is verbal and nervous. They are not sure what they are angry about. They can get hysterical, or “fall apart” and “loose it.” Earth mars singletons are also said to dispace anger: "Earth signs tend to displacement of anger. Virgo gets busy tidying up or criticizing" So supposedly my virgo mars singleton's biggest issue might be displacement of anger by nervousness, criticism, etc.

Hehe, I tend to write when I am angry, it helps me sort out the true source of anger (and so not react inappropriately). I guess that's a good example of an outlet for virgo mars singleton, considering that a singleton isn't generally 'in tune' with the rest of ones' personality. I have sent some rather pointy emails once or twice, which have not been forgotten.

In summary, I'm not the rampaging warlord that mars singleton might suggest, nor are my partners. I guess it comes out when I am truly angry or defensive (forced to use my inferior function). Cutting words do come out suprisingly easily, when I get to the point that I'll use them. That's a very mars/virgo/3H thing. I did used to bite the hell out of my twin brother when we were younger, and fight nastier than he did (lucky for me, his mars is in the second house).

At worst, I would consider 3H Virgo Mars as an earth singteton to indicate a highly strung critical perfectionist with a sharp tongue (or pen), a kindof verbally "passive-aggressive" person. Ok ok, there is something to this, I have been known to turn poisonous, or to deteriorate into a quivering mess of inexpressible anger when I truly lose my temper. It scares people ;) This is beginning to finally make sense. With mars as my ONLY earth, I am uncomfortable expressing mars anger in an earthy way (physically!) and so I find non physical expressions for it, contain it, diffuse it. I'm beginning to understand the difficulties of a singleton...

Are singletons possibly similar to unaspected planets, in the sense that the person doesn't "connect" with the energy?

Last edited:

Howl said:
Heheh, just looking at my mars (earth) singleton. As a woman, I am considered likely to project mars, even more so as its a singleton. That's true enough in that I am unfailingly attracted to earthy men (yes, the latest was a virgo). However, I am not attracted to, nor do I attract aggressive type alfa-male ultra-mars men. Just don't like em ;)

Mars, as my only earth, is in 3H Virgo. Instinctively I'd say this gives me an assertive, possibly aggressive, intellect, and potential for sharp, critical words. It also suggests a sort of mental practicality. It might give me a short temper, and combative, critical approach to siblings, or people who challenge my ideas.

Are singletons possibly similar to unaspected planets, in the sense that the person doesn't "connect" with the energy?

Well I think its just the fact that your mars is in virgo that you are attracted to virgoans and other earthy males, not really the singleton aspect of it. I have mars in Gem, which is not a singleton, and I am attracted to Gem males.

Singleton is a new concept to me but the bit that I have read about it, it seems that they do have a bit of a unaspected planets feel about them, in that they stand out.

Howl

Yeah 23 I agree with you; women with vigo mars are likely to be attracted to earthy men! What I'm trying to get at (in a scattered fashion;)) is that women with mars singletons are thought to 'project' mars MORE than ususal, often onto their partners.

Generally, this might mean attraction to very "mars" kinda men. For me it doesn't seem to. That's probably because mars is in virgo, a more humble kind of sign :D

I'm still struggling with how to put it together mentally. Mars singletons supposedly signify very strong mars type energy, but mine is singleton by virtue of placement in a not-very-mars kind of sign.

holly

I just thought I'd jump in and say that I have the Sun singleton. (In Aquarius, and Uranus is singleton in a fire sign.) Do I win a prize? :D

As for what it means, I'm undecided. Some say it's especially important. Others go by the balance of elements and decide if you don't have that element in the chart, it's just not important.

I haven't recognised any (or at least, very few) Aquarian traits in myself so I doubt that having the Sun singleton makes any real difference.

Summery Joy

holly said:
I just thought I'd jump in and say that I have the Sun singleton. (In Aquarius, and Uranus is singleton in a fire sign.) Do I win a prize? :D

As for what it means, I'm undecided. Some say it's especially important. Others go by the balance of elements and decide if you don't have that element in the chart, it's just not important.

I haven't recognised any (or at least, very few) Aquarian traits in myself so I doubt that having the Sun singleton makes any real difference.

May I have a look at your chart?