Several versions of Sabian Symbols

pwadm

Staff member
There are several versions of Sabian Symbols that I came across along the time. Could someone please explain me why is that? The Symbols aren't very old, isn't the initial version recorded somewhere?

Summery Joy

There's a book that you recommend on the website about sabian symbols and their interpretation. I just sort of assumed that this is the correct version.

Do you have a links for different versions?

Lapis

I too have wondered who created the original Sabian Symbols and which ones came after.

I have Dr. Marc Edmund Jones (Oct. 1, 1888 - March 8, 1980) book The Sabian Symbols in Astrology infront of me and it says it was first written in 1953. I don't know if his work with the psychic/sensitive who's name I can't find at the moment, was the original "Sabians" or not. I'd guess that some others have used his as a basic guideline and then created their own interpretations of each degree. Like we are!!! :mrgreen:

I have the series of Alan Leo books that belonged to my paternal grandmother. She had to order them from England because that type of material just wasn't available here in the USA in her time! Needless to say the books are old and well used.

In one of these books, Astrology For All, there are short one line interpretations for all 360 degrees. These are not Sabians however, but short readings for each degree broken down into the 3 different decanates for each sign. But, like I said, these aren't Sabians even though these books are from around the same time period as M. E. Jones.

amzolt

Radu said:
There are several versions of Sabian Symbols that I came across along the time. Could someone please explain me why is that? The Symbols aren't very old, isn't the initial version recorded somewhere?
In the intro to the article THE INTERPRETATION OF A HOROSCOPE by Jones, this is said:
"The Sabian symbols used for this talk were taken from Marc's 1931 mimeograph lesson set on Symbolical Astrology. He later asked that those symbols not be used anymore, after he went back to the original brief notations he took at the time the Sabian symbols were derived in 1925. He published those notes in his classic 1953 work, The Sabian Symbols in Astrology. Nevertheless, the use of the old symbols is helpful in illustrating how the Sabian symbols can be used to interpret an astrological chart. The Sabian symbols used in this talk are listed at the end of this article in their present and final form."
Of course, Rudhyar changed many of them when he wrote his book...
Oh! The person who actually "generated" the original set was Elsie Wheeler.

Draco

Hi Radu,

You may find this link interesting:

www.astrosoftware.com/DegreeMeanings.htm

It is very interesting where it says,

Degree Meanings are described, with meanings for each degree, in a book called The Mathesis by Firmicus Maternus in the 300's (4th century). Perhaps even more incredible, he refers to a book called Myriogenesis by Aesculapius who gives meanings for each minute of each degree! This would 360 times 60 interpretations, or 21,600 interpretations.

and,

There was a set of degree meanings in a book by Italian physician and astrologer Pietro d'Abano (ca. 1250-1316). Astrologer Charubel created a set of degree meanings in the late 1800's.

Lapis, I think the psychic's name you are refering to is Elsie Wheeler, but I do not think that these were the first symbols. It would seem that degree symbols go a long, long way back.

It causes me to wonder what information was lost to humanity when the great library of Alexandria in Egypt burnt down in ancient times. :(

Draco :wink:

amzolt

Radu said:
... isn't the initial version recorded somewhere?
I can't swear to this, but the "originals" may be on this site. I use this version even though for years I swore by
Rudhyar's version...
Also, here's just a bit of history ( from this site ):

In his book, The Sabian Symbols in Astrology, Jones explained his part in the project:

The author had three tasks in addition to the physical care of his student sensitive. These were (1) the shuffling which maintained the immediate synchronization with the source material, (2) making pencil notations of the psychic pictures with critical rejection and selection at each point of progress, and (3) sustaining the ancient mind-matrix which made the whole procedure possible. The third task had its expression, in terms of any human experience to be captured in words, through the presence and co-operation on the invisible side of life of that one of the Brothers (to use the term by which he would be identified in Theosophy) who has been concerned in every spiritistic phase of Sabian investigation.

Dane Rudhyar also popularized the symbols by quoting them in his astrology work in 1936 after their original 1931 publishing by Jones. Twenty years later, in 1973, after a lot of research and investigation into the complete structure of the 360 degree series, Rudhyar wrote "An Astrological Mandala". This book evolved the spiritual symbols, as Rudhyar employed a more holistic and humanistic approach, promoting the idea of using the Sabian Symbols as an oracle. He described them as a "... contemporary American I Ching.".

The Sabian symbols are a fascinating, powerful and useful set of images whether or not you are an astrologer. The images, themselves are the subject of many new commentaries, by astrology writers such as Robert Blaschke.

Symbolism acts as a midwife for our own inner wisdom; we connect with common universal consciousness on an intangible spiritual level. This evolutionary spiritual level is abstract and thinks in images, feelings, colors and sounds, instead of words. This is knowledge that cannot be accessed by science and rationality, but only be freeing oneself from the boundaries of the physical world.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Plus, there is a site that claims to be founded by Jones, Sabiana

~ Alex

[some copied material removed as it can be read in the link. Copyright breach. Moderaror

Last edited by a moderator:

Arian Maverick

Yes, I agree with Radu...those were awesome links *thumbs up*

Thanks, amzolt...or would you rather be called Alex? :mrgreen:

Aquarian Maverick

amzolt

Radu said:
Thank you Alex so much. I learned a lot from the links you provided. It's clear now.
Cool!!!
And, AquaMav, Amzolt or Alex or Alexander or Sandor (Hungarian version) are all o.k.; and, by the way, what is your "Story"? You're one of the most interesting "personas" I've ever encountered on the Internet (and, that's since it started!)!
If this is not the place to reveal your "Story", let me know where you post it...
And, if you don't post it, the mystery will still be worth paying attention to...

~ Alex

Arian Maverick

and, by the way, what is your "Story"? You're one of the most interesting "personas" I've ever encountered on the Internet (and, that's since it started!)!
If this is not the place to reveal your "Story", let me know where you post it...
And, if you don't post it, the mystery will still be worth paying attention to...

My Aquarius Rising is flattered yet I am slightly confused...are you referring to my "life story"? :?

Aquarian Maverick

amzolt

Aquarian Maverick said:
My Aquarius Rising is flattered yet I am slightly confused...are you referring to my life story or simply my pen name? :?
Aquarian Maverick
My Aquarius descendant replies:
your Life Story--not the gory details, just the glorious highlights...

~ Alex 8)