In using whole sign accurately it is imperative to take the totality of indications into account in making a delineation; single factors taken out of the context of the totality will often be misleading.
The opposite of the exaltation is depression. The Greek hypsoma imply literal latitude. Pliny and Valens treat those as literal latitude. Ptolemy appears to be the first source with a completely seasonal rationale, perhaps he was aware of some technical flaw in the epicyclic theory.
Another fragment from the Michigan papyrus:
''.....Still other ethereal constellations revolve in their own circles. The Sun is in apogee in Gemini; Venus is in perigee in Pisces and in apogee in Virgo; Jupiter is in apogee in Cancer and in perigee in Capricorn....'' - see Michigan Papyri, Vol III, Papyri in the University of Michigan Collection, Miscellaneous Papyri, Ed. John Garret Winter, University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, MI, 1936. Translation by F.E. Robbins.
Note that there is some inconsistency with the epicyclic theory since the Sun has apogee in Gemini (and is changing but they did not know about that until the Middle Ages) from a geocentric perspective. Perhaps the Sun and the Moon exaltations are seasonal (in the Babylonian zodiac) while the others are related to stations, and as such were then integrated into the epicyclic theories by the Greeks.
If the other five planets exaltations are related to epicyclic perigree and apogee, they were not meant to be used in a tropical zodiac due to how revolutions work (they do not have precession as noted by Ptolemy in Almagest 9.6).
Saturn - Libra 21°
Jupiter - Cancer 15°
Mars - Capricorn 28°
Sun - Aries 19°
Venus - Pisces 27°
Mercury - Virgo 15°
Moon - Taurus 3°
The Ram exalts the Sun for it is the Midheaven of the Universe, royal, heating and drying because of Mars and the zenith, quadrupedal, running, masculine, ovecoming Cancer and configured through superior trigon with Leo - its own domicile. The 19th degree is especially exalting because of the recurrence years and the hind foot.
The Bull exalts the Moon for it is the Post-Ascension of the Midheaven, notable, slightly heating and moist because of Venus and the Good Daimon, horned in appearance, feminine, overcoming Leo and configured through superior hexagon with Cancer - its own domicile. The 3rd degree is especially exalting because of the appearance phase and the Pleiades.
The Scales exalt Saturn for they are the Anti-Midheaven of the Universe, changeable, cooling and death-bringing because of the subterranean, opposing the Sun, superior to Capricorn and configured through superior trigon with Aquarius - its own domicile. The 21st degree is especially exalting because of Alpha Librae.
The Crab exalts Jupiter for it is the Hour-Marker of the Universe, notable, airy and life-bringing because of the Moon and the rising, watery, superior to Libra and Scorpio and configured through trigon with Pisces - its own domicile. The 15th degree is especially exalting because of the head.
The Goat-Horned One exalts Mars for it is the Setting of the Universe, changeable, cooling and injuring because of Saturn and the west, opposing Jupiter, superior to Aries and Taurus and configured through hexagon with Scorpio - its own domicile. The 28th degree is especially exalting because of the tail.
The Fishes exalt Venus for they are the Pre-Ascension of the Midheaven, double-bodied, moist and most fertile because of the fish-goddess and the place, submerged, passionate, superior to Gemini and Cancer and configured through hexagon with Taurus - its own domicile. The 27th degree is especially exalting because of the northern fish.
The Maiden exalts Mercury for it is Pre-Ascension of the Anti-Midheaven, nocturnal, domicile of Mercury, eloquent, winged, opposing Venus and the post-ascension of Leo. The 15th degree is especially exalting because of the appearance and Gamma Virginis.
Sun is depressed in Libra with obscurity and death.
Moon is depressed in Scorpio with loss of light and death.
Saturn is ''depressed'' in Aries for it afflicts kingship with extremely dry qualities.
Jupiter is depressed in Capricorn with cold and death.
Mars is ''depressed'' in Cancer for it harms life with burning caustic influence.
Venus is depressed in Virgo with infertility and virginity.
Mercury is depressed in Pisces with silence and water.
I will check the degrees later.
Principles for the exaltations and depressions of the planets:
1. Configuration with Cancer.
- only Cancer, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Capricorn, Pisces, Aries and Taurus are eligible, the rest are rejected
2. Diurnal planets are configured through trigon with their domiciles.
- Sun - Aries
- Saturn - Virgo, Libra or Taurus
- Jupiter - Cancer, Scorpio or Aries
3. Nocturnal planets are configured through hexagon with their domiciles.
- Moon - Virgo or Taurus
- Mars - Virgo or Capricorn
- Venus - Cancer or Pisces
4. Affinity with the places - lights above the horizon, benefics in good places, malefics in bad places.
- Sun - Aries as Mc (action) opposite Ic
- Moon - Taurus as Good Daimon (gifts) opposite Good Fortune
- Saturn - Libra as Ic (death) opposite Mc
- Jupiter - Cancer as Asc (life) opposite Dsc
- Mars - Capricorn as Dsc (injury) opposite Asc
5. Affinity with the images and their domicile rulers - royalty, light, death, life, injury, fertility, eloquence. The best images become certain at this point.
- Sun - Aries is diurnal, royal, quadrupedal and running like Leo, domicile of burning and drying Mars, which has in common with the heating and slightly drying Sun
- Moon - Taurus is nocturnal, notable, horned in appearance, domicile of slightly heating and moistening Venus, same nature as the Moon
- Saturn - Libra is diurnal, common, judicial, economical, domicile of moistening and slightly heating Venus, contrary nature to the malefic, producing temperate admixture
- Jupiter - Cancer is notable, nurturing, domicile of the slightly heating and moistening Moon, producing excellent airy admixture
- Mars - Capricorn is nocturnal, servile, thievish, outrageous, domicile of Saturn, contrary nature to the malefic, producing temperate admixture
- Venus - Pisces is nocturnal, notable, most fertile and entirely submerged, domicile of Jupiter, producing excellent airy admixture
- Mercury - Virgo is nocturnal and post-ascending Leo at the same time, domicile of alternating between moisture and dryness Mercury, here having temperate admixture inclining towards the active and fertile element
6. Degrees cause cosmic appearances, or have connection with fixed stars.
Sun - Aries 19° - recurrence years and the hind foot, Mercury bound
Moon - Taurus 3° - appearance phase and the Pleiades, Venus bound
Saturn - Libra 21° - chains and Alpha Librae, Jupiter bound
Cancer 15° - head and the degrees after the Beehive Cluster, Mercury bound
Mars - Capricorn 28° - tail which is of the nature of Saturn and Jupiter, Mars bound
Venus - Pisces 27° - northern fish which is of the nature of Jupiter and moderately Venus, Mars bound
Mercury - Virgo 15° - evening rising and Gamma Librae, Venus bound
7. Depressions are the opposite degrees of the exaltations because of inherent contrariety.
- Sun is depressed in Libra with obscurity and death. 19th degree due to the chains and the presence of Saturn. Jupiter bound.
- Moon is depressed in Scorpio with loss of light and death. 3th degree due to the waning of the Moon and the claws which cause them. Mars bound.
- Saturn is ''depressed'' in Aries for it afflicts kingship with extremely dry qualities. 21st degree due to the hind foot and the presence of the Sun. Mars bound.
- Jupiter is depressed in Capricorn with cold and death. 15th degree of Capricorn due to the change of body, Venus bound.
- Mars is ''depressed'' in Cancer for it harms life with burning caustic influence. 28th degree due to the pincers. Saturn bound.
- Venus is depressed in Virgo with infertility and virginity. 27th degree due to the feet. Mars bound.
- Mercury is depressed in Pisces with silence and water. 15th degree due to the being in the middle of the sea. Jupiter bound.
According to Dorotheus and Manetho, Mars being in the sign or bound of Saturn, transiting or distributing to it is actually good, the reverse is bad. It depends on which planet is the transmitter, and which is the receiver (domicile ruler in this case). Inb4 conflict with depression of Saturn and exaltation of Mars.
The planets are stronger in signs closer to their exaltations, especially the ones adjacent, and they are weaker near their depressions. This is naturally resulting from their circular orbits including their epicyclical apogees and perigees, for they are exalted at one degree and one sign, but depressed at the opposite, and gradation of power ensues, as follows.
Exaltation at the degree + 9
Exaltation within 3° + 8
Exaltation within 7° + 7
Exaltation within 15° + 6
Exaltation + 5
Exaltation within two images/adjacent + 2
Exaltation within three images/exalting hemicycle + 1
Depression within 3° - 8
Depression within 7° - 7
Depression within 15° - 6
Depression - 5
Depression within two images/adjacent - 2
Depression within three images/depressing hemicycle - 1
Two signs are neutral, for example Cancer and Capricorn are neither exalting, nor depressing the Sun, they are neutral. Some astrologers like Valens used quadrants from exaltation degrees, others divided them into 24 steps, still others said that the sign succeeding the exaltation is bad.
In using whole sign accurately
it is imperative to take the totality of indications into account
in making a delineation;
single factors taken out of the context of the totality
will often be misleading.
cadent houses seem to fall away from strength of the angular houses.
Paulus Alexandrinus said planets found in houses (3,6,9,12)
and can sometimes bring about hostile conditions, separations and banishments
Why are aquarius and capricorn doesn't behold each other
even though they are both supposed to be Saturn's domicile?
Or is there any special exception for aversion aspect
when planets residing in common quality like Aquarius-Capricorn,
Gemini-Virgo, Libra-Taurus, and Scorpio-Aries?
I found this:
There are other sign relationships in Hellenistic astrology that also show affinity. The most important of these are of two types: 1. Signs ruled by the same planet, 2. Signs symmetrical about the cardinal points. The first type is the signs that are the domicile of one planet, such as Aries and Scorpio as they are ruled by Mars or Taurus and Libra ruled by Venus. The second type is related to the antiscia and contra-antiscia notions previously discussed.
These sign relationships can be confusing because the same terminology is sometimes used for different relationships. For instance, signs ruled by the same planet are sometimes called those “...agreeing in the journey...” or “...agreeing in the belt...” However, signs symmetrical about the equinoctial axis are also sometimes called “...agreeing in the journey...”
at http://www.sevenstarsastrology.com/...symmetry-commanding-obeying-hearing-antiscia/Dorotheus mentions signs of equal ascension and signs with the same house ruler having affinity (like-engirdling). These would be Aries-Pisces, Taurus-Aquarius, Gemini-Capricorn, Cancer-Sagittarius, Leo-Scorpio, Virgo-Libra and Aries-Scorpio, Taurus-Libra, Gemini-Virgo, Sagittarius-Pisces and Capricorn-Aquarius respectively. You have your Sun in like-engirding signs with the Moon of your wife, which is in sign of equal ascension as your Moon. I would caution that if you also factor aspects by signs, you may end up with all charts being harmonious synastries.
You have no harmonious aspects of the luminaries (unless you got out of sign with the Moons, as I would), but you do have aspects of the beneficent planets to the luminaries, mixed with at least one maleficent - the conjunction of Mars. Ptolemy says that even if all luminaries are in disharmony, the beneficent planets in aspect (without the malefics presumably) bring ''renewals and recollections, which preserve kindness and affection.'' - http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/E/Roman/Texts/Ptolemy/Tetrabiblos/4B*.html#5Thrasyllus, Dorotheus and Valens used a sidereal zodiac with the the equinoxes and solstices at the 8th degrees, thus their antiscia are Gemini-Leo, Taurus-Virgo, Aries-Libra (not according to Thrasyllus because of the opposition), Scorpio-Pisces, and Sagittarius-Aquarius. Cancer and Capricorn are left without schema, because they have no counterpart in any sidereal zodiac. Their contra-antiscia are Taurus-Pisces, Gemini-Aquarius, Cancer-Capricorn, Leo-Sagittarius and Virgo-Scorpio. Aries and Libra are left without schema, because they are equinoctial. These relationships were used to modify the interpretation of existing sextiles and trines.
However, Ptolemy, Paulus and Rhetorius who used a tropical zodiac with the equinoxes and solstices at the 1st degrees also used the same antiscia and contra-antiscia. Ptolemy explains the antiscia with the fact that the beginning of Gemini has the same daylight as the beginning of Leo and so on, and the contra-antiscia - from the rising times of the beginning of the signs - rather than their end.
Keep in mind that all these schemata break at the equator.
Yes, the intensification of Saturn we observe in its traditional ruler sign, esp in my sun conjunct moon sign in my personal life in 2020-23, exact 3 years period from Mar 20, 20-20 to Mar 8, 2023 in the first week of the ides of March before Saturn transit Pisces when the sun is in that sign.
All seven classical planets have some affinity with skin-toneSaturn is associated with skin tone and Aquarian it is of multicultural diversity. In 1963-66 1991/92-94/95 and 2020-22, periods of heightened race and ethnic strife in America and all over the world occurred in these 3 year periods when Saturn is in the traditional ruler sign Aquarius.
these issues are from a tradional perspectives NOT solely SaturnineAnd finally, the gender bending and risen egalitarianism of the biological sexes. In the 1960s feminism when women wanted to wear "masculine or men's" dress and repeal misogynist laws or abolish gender restrictive behavior in society to the 1990s when it seems we wanted to end sexism and stereotypical gender roles as well to now in the 2020s of gender identity, diversity and expression esp with calls to end male privilege, for transgender rights and esp. marriage equality.
not a traditional astrology perspectiveJupiter is helpful.
Sometimes, it's so helpful, it helps the guys robbing a bank.
Always inflate, Jup.