Saturn and Traditional Astrologers

conspiracy theorist

I'm an extreme novice, so take what I say with a grain of salt. I am trying to learn modern and traditional, so I can understand when things are referenced in either, but I am slightly more drawn to traditional. Specifically, using traditional when it comes to prediction. If I'm trying to understand what the year is going to be like, I want to know the challenges that might be faced and using malefics seems to be working well. Traditional also seems a bit more straightforward to me when it comes to information (like predicting when a pregnancy could happen).

Without any grains, there wouldn't be a beach.

Saturn doesn't play much of a big role in your map either. It rules the 3rd and is located there - so you may be disposed to being serious minded.

On an unrelated note, you share the mercury/pluto conjunction with two other people on this thread. Woopie

I'm quite up in the air about it all personally and have no fixed view on it all, but i do recognise there are many other types of astrology, and find them intriguing.

I have Retrograde Saturn and some aspects to it in 11th house if you are interested.
LGzefrU.png

KwDeLci.png

Cool thread, i like your question.

Phoenix Venus

Huh, that's an interesting way to read my chart. I like it.

Since this was kicked out of traditional, why not explore Saturn from unconventional angles - could you elaborate on what Cayce said about Saturn's realm being a place for new souls? And what's the reason for Saturn being the higher octave of the sun and moon?

You have a couple of mutual receptions going on between your luminaries and Saturn so they're more "marinated" in Saturn than they look. I wouldn't say Saturn plays a big role in your map, though.

Yeah i agree, saturn isnt particularly strong in my chart.

The simple explination for why saturn is the higher octave of sun and moon: Saturn is the lord of time and rules structure and limits. Those limits... The quantification of time.. Are set in place by the sun and moon.

I dont know that i gave the explination much justice. But that is the basic implication.

Cayce had many outlandish things to say about astrology, in general.

This is how he described each planet:

"As in Mercury pertaining of Mind.
In Mars of madness
In Earth of flesh
In venus as love
In jupiter as strength
In saturn as the beginning of earthly woes, that to which all insufficient matter is cast for the beginning.
In Uranus as of the psychic.
In neptune as of mystic
In Septimus [pluto?] as of consciousness.
In arcturus as of the developing."

Last edited:

Phoenix Venus

From reading 3744-2

Q. What is meant by banishment of a soul from its Maker?

A. Of the will as given in the beginning to choose for self as in the earthly plane, all insufficient matter is cast unto Saturn. To work out his salvation as would be termed in the word, the entity or individual banishes itself, or its soul.."

And from reading 945-1:

" For the earth and saturn are opposites, as it were; for to Saturn goes those that would renew or begin again, or who have blotted from their experience much that may be set in motion again through other influences and environs that have been a portion of the entity's experience."

Also of note. In my book, "Astrology and the Edgar Cayce Readings" by Margaret Gammon, she says "The sex glands are associated with Saturn, according to the readings."

Phoenix Venus

Just to bring some clarification to the quote. He said that our souls have experiences on the other planets in between our earthly incarnations. This was the basis at which he relied on many of his astrological interpretations. He did give a few clues as to how this could be derived from a natal chart.
From reading 3744-2

Q. What is meant by banishment of a soul from its Maker?

A. Of the will as given in the beginning to choose for self as in the earthly plane, all insufficient matter is cast unto Saturn. To work out his salvation as would be termed in the word, the entity or individual banishes itself, or its soul.."

And from reading 945-1:

" For the earth and saturn are opposites, as it were; for to Saturn goes those that would renew or begin again, or who have blotted from their experience much that may be set in motion again through other influences and environs that have been a portion of the entity's experience."

Also of note. In my book, "Astrology and the Edgar Cayce Readings" by Margaret Gammon, she says "The sex glands are associated with Saturn, according to the readings."

kahtiel

Without any grains, there wouldn't be a beach.

Saturn doesn't play much of a big role in your map either. It rules the 3rd and is located there - so you may be disposed to being serious minded.

On an unrelated note, you share the mercury/pluto conjunction with two other people on this thread. Woopie

Thanks for the insight! I would guess the serious minded would be why I don't really feel the other things in my chart (besides the moon) or maybe the fact it's on an aries point makes me feel it stronger? The mercury/pluto conjunction is interesting.

Ive just gone through my saturn return and it was good to me. :)

Not to derail the thread either, but I'm jealous! I'm terrified of what's going to happen when mine starts in a couple of months.

Last edited:

david starling

My working-theory is that the Saturnian influence shuts down our "sixth sense", rendering it unreliable, or even useless. If you normally rely on intuition, rather than protocol, Saturn's a real problem, and an SR can have you "flying blind". And, the Uranian influence is just the reverse: It increases sixth sense acumen. In which case, having a Saturnian/Uranian Conjunction in Natal, would balance it out, preventing an extreme shutdown of intuitive ability during the SR.

SteveGus

Saturn is quite prominent in my own nativity. I am attracted to traditional astrology and techniques, largely because I am attracted to the clarity and plain English of classical judgments. I do use classical techniques, but not exclusively. I'll refer to the outer planets if they seem to have a message, but I don't give them sign or house rulerships, and think the jury is still out as to their affinity with the signs and elements.

OTOH, I use, for instance, Placidus houses for most purposes. If you are going to use planetary hours, Placidus houses make sense, because Placidus houses turn the chart into a planetary hours clock.

I'd generally prefer the term "planet centered astrology" instead of "classical astrology", since I consider the modern tradition "sign centered astrology", since my impression is that psychological astrology makes the signs take over many of the duties of the planets.

Attachments

• heraclea.jpg
    heraclea.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 42

Hermeshadesluna

I' lean a little bit towards both as my 11th house Leo Venus conjuncting Pallas Athene trine Uranus Retro in the 3rd (love for modern); but my 10th house Mercury is trine my 3rd house Saturn Retro (mind for traditional).

Attachments

• Hermes.jpg
    Hermes.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:

The Cat astrologer

I begun like many others with modern astrology since it is easier finding material on it, but now I passed to the traditional branch.
My Saturn is indeed rather influential: it is conjunct my IC, trine my Sun and opposed by antiscia to Mercury lord of the ascendant.
It also rules Mars lord of the 9th house.The Cat.jpg

david starling

One thing I, in particular have noticed, is that Trads are pessimistic about the Aquarian Age, while Mods tend to be very optimistic about it. This does have to do with Saturn, since Traditionally, Saturn is inevitably Malefic and is the only Planetary ruler of Aquarius.

SteveGus

In my understanding, Aquarius is about group identities, and about putting those identities before individuals.

We seem to be witnessing the birth of new political religions with this as a major theme. (And what I've seen of them, I do not like very much.)

david starling

In my understanding, Aquarius is about group identities, and about putting those identities before individuals.

We seem to be witnessing the birth of new political religions with this as a major theme. (And what I've seen of them, I do not like very much.)

This gives me a chance to impart some information about the Astrological Ages in general: To determine when an Age occurs, there must be a point, or points, that move through the Chart to indicate the Age. Then, these are Aspected within the Chart, and can tell us about the response to the Age-influence. The Age itself is the Earth's effect (Planets act, and Earth is obviously a Planet) on the native. So, each Chart imparts its own view of an Age, and the aggregate response determines what transpires. Your own response is part of the mix, and may be in the majority or minority, but it's YOURS, and you, yourself have a say in how "things should be". As powerful as the Age-Effect is, it doesn't make one any less of an individual.
Also, since it's specifically about "what will the Age of Aquarius be like", we can't use Sun in Aquarius as a template, because Signs impart qualities to Indicators, and each Indicator (most importantly Sun, Moon, Planets, Ascendant, Midheaven, and Age-point) expresses a Sign's qualities in its own way. These Ages don't take immediate effect, and I don't believe we have enough information yet to determine how the Aquarian Age will actually play out--just "educated guesses".
Btw, can you name these new political religions? Not sure what you're referring to. Seems like all religions demand the subordination of one's individuality.

Last edited:

The Cat astrologer

One thing I, in particular have noticed, is that Trads are pessimistic about the Aquarian Age, while Mods tend to be very optimistic about it. This does have to do with Saturn, since Traditionally, Saturn is inevitably Malefic and is the only Planetary ruler of Aquarius.
Saturn is not all and only evil, it has also good attributions: sobriety, discipline, self control, constancy, coherence, logic, structure etc.
On my part I am diffident on the "New age" enthusiasm because it seems to me accompanied with too much utopism and a sort of happiness that curbs mental lucidity.
But this may be just derive from my limited personal experience with "New age" people.

SteveGus

Btw, can you name these new political religions? Not sure what you're referring to. Seems like all religions demand the subordination of one's individuality.

I was thinking specifically about contemporary identity politics, which does seem to be basically Aquarian in tone. Piety and blasphemy seem to revolve around race and 'gender' issues in the contemporary USA. The attitudes that once fueled familiar religions now fuel this.

david starling

I was thinking specifically about contemporary identity politics, which does seem to be basically Aquarian in tone. Piety and blasphemy seem to revolve around race and 'gender' issues in the contemporary USA. The attitudes that once fueled familiar religions now fuel this.

Although obviously not a Traditional option, possibly for a Modern-astrologer, that could relate to :uranus: transiting Aries for the last 7 years or so. Unless it started earlier than that.

david starling

Aquarian Suns tend to be highly individualistic in my experience. Like Leo Suns, they often avoid each other's company. Very idiosyncratic.

Vyri

Banned
"The relationship of everything to everything else", Macrocosm/Microcosm effect. The appearance or reason for the outter planets to quantify on a continuous qualifying basis, a spiritual oftentimes material revolutionary result; an awakening or reason for their appearances, that equate possibly experiences with consideration to mass accomplishments affecting a greater world cohesive togetherness. They make appearance in divergent ages considered to be on a precipace of being able to establish breaking ground enlighteining theories.

The moderns are of a theory that includes expansion necessary to improvements; to areas reflecting foundational free thinking values. The one, transformed against the value of many for example; the worthfulness as statement to deliver preimenant new age considerations as an emergence for the cause of continuation of mankind. Of Star Trek fame, Spock once said, "the one for the many" a media statement, the new planets give metaphor to. Coinciding to the discovery of these outer planets oftentimes brought into effect new successful experiments that contributed to lessening the ailments of an expansive world's population.
As populations increase these moderns also herald in new principalities changing or fine tuning laws needful to be put in place as we expand in our thinking to embrace a wider scope of values that must take into consideration a continent or collective expansiveness, with considerations of establishing world peace.

It is complementary to an outer planets hidden intrinsic worth, that they would be discovered of a certain era, to be revealed of elements or energies that usher in new age theory related to various experiences the traditional planets don't adequately cover in explanation. Astrologically interpreted, they represent definitive elements that help us deliver more caring empathetic responses, as we are able to recognize a higher purpose of life that a statistic observance of there effectiveness will reference with careful study. So on a greater awareness level they represent myriad various experiences capable of being integrated into a world consciousness for improvement.

The outer's give meanings towards expansive evolutionary thinking, they make reference to reasons why an age ever increasing in population brings in new ways of thinking; corrections instituting mass elevating measures towards philosophical, psychological and physical advances, often traced to successfully implemtating balanced foundations principled into law or legal edicts. They give evidence, metaphorically if not Astrologically speaking, to an age or era ready to emerge by the awareness of their occult influences to their deeper revelations/causes, helping us develop a wider viewpoint to the personal that eventually is considered in the collective mind, the vastness of the psych eventually merging as one, that often results to facilitating and accomplishing mass healing by faith from a belief in an ideal, an example is the Waters of Lords that are claimed to heal.

Traditional values are 'tried as steel against steel' against the elements the outers constantly represent on a wider scale, giving rise to ever changing value systems. As new ways of thinking are introduced, new laws for forgiveness or the awakening to the outer planet's message is awakened unto us..Agape love. (With an awareness of Uranus/Aquarius Utopian ideal accomplishes adding to Venus/Neptune energies.)

Understanding the role they rep represent or play in changing public attitudes convexly often reflects a societies downfall rather than a saving grace, i.e.; consider Rome and just recently, England's Bank systems, resources on a grand scale-under fire. They are the ways and means of an era's meaningfulness=a process of sifting.

Modern or Traditional, all planets should be considered in delineation efforts, as every planet facilitates by an association energy or aspect to help correct and understand how we may better our natures, deflecting singularity or selfish ideals which only serve to develop group crystallization thinking; a stagnant force that makes us inert-we find we are deficient to acquiring new social skills and any possible advancements the outer planets will bring or represent for us we find we are unable to demonstrate towards their higher messages, which could help to serve or implement progress or improvements. Unable to merge together as a cohesive working unit towards any future development possibilities of evolution of a province is not to give credence to the power the outers offer when joined in harmonious or discordant blends with the traditional solar system planets.

To my understanding advancement stops without the knowledge of why they appear when they do, and not to include them in Astrological technique is negligent of our possible ability to save by the outers grace energies being recognized. Example: Mundane charts reflecting a province's collective thinking making known influences that possibly energize activities directed by aspects to the ponderous ones: propounding on a national basis, failure of crops, terrorist activities, etc.

The (Sun) as an integral force will always be challenged to survive as a whole against the forces of the Moderns, and often times stressful aspects he makes to these outers or ponderous ones (consideration to the context of the question asked must be made) represent outside forces that challenge him to his continuation as a life force. Of a higher movement should the Sun be able to resonate the outer's true message, he (Sun) may set into motion, (taking on the clock of politic, if other testimonies in the chart permit) serves a higher course to history-a revelation to their true worth in changing world events.

Saturn does not reflect a group evidence per say of death as the outer Pluto's vast meaning does. Pluto might reference the Sun's discordant aspect to him telling us to avoid the masses for our protection. Pluto is farther in distance from the earth than Uranus or Neptune and yet he is well known to be involved with aspects that represent mass politic of destruction or movements to further our good as a collective body to improve our associations nationally. Pacts with other nations often are inaugurated by his benign aspects, again in context to the question-allowing. The outer's making reference to cooperation efforts on a world wide scale can mean the difference of war or peace. As new era's approach the parents\moderns that affect these types of events make of necessity themselves known for the well-fair of collective spiritual awareness.
Hershel is one such planet that represents atomic forces aiding or destroying affecting hundreds of thousands of people. He appeared 100 years approx. before Madam Curry arrived, insuring in her discovery of atomic energy. Saturn does not give adequate likeness to his effectiveness to cure cancer; as chemotherapy, radiation does, Uranus owns subject matter to these activities, Neptune figuring in. Uranus as lord of Aquarius represents a higher ideal of awareness that must be understood should we be able to survive, using his powers for the collective good. His hands across the water join in the efforts of union of friendships assured that his Utopian energies create an ultimate power to save, rather than to be used towards complete extinction.

When we go astray in our indulgences that in veritably engulfs national concerns of increasing diseases such as Cancer, his worth being well known as curative, the evidence of his appearance as Father to Saturn's concerns is then quite evident. We were not aware of certain outer's until we as a society began to become occultly collective in our thinking, our need to reach out to other's and discover new cures brings us back to the realization the parenting effect outers are able to supplant to other planets, to step in for additional helps where other Solar bodies do not suffice to represent.

It is the hard knock value structural reasoning (traditional observance of the 7 planets) pitted against the acceptance of the newer appearances of our solar system outer planets that we must integrate into chart reading, each outer planet is unique to helping us to reflect upon our improvement of attitudes; those of self serving or the expansive principle of consideration for the other guy. They are the answer to problems that help us reach our inner child, developing a more successful psychology to a satisfying existence if only we are able to integrate and give understanding to the greater cause of mankind these bodies represent in the Horary and Natal map.

My Saturn is commingled with Neptune in the public sign of Libra in hiding in my second house in an exalted state. They both together as energies give reference to exalting possessions as a form of developing value systems physical contact creates from touching, objects creating sensory stimulation that reflect character/temperament traits; such as food as a solace giving comfort. An appreciation of form, balance-value of beauty, wishing to reach to Venus pinnacle expressions in life surfaces as work; my trade or occupation as hairstylist. Art is my hobby, poetry and math developed talents to reach higher realms in expression. A mild stellium; Sun, Jupiter, Venus of metaphysical 9th makes for some prophecy attributes resonating in the Saturn/Neptune placements. Moon helping in the 1st house in sensitive Virgo lending her trine to Venus, Sun, Jupiter-not in that order.

Venus makes no aspect with Saturn or to Neptune and as as ambassador to the signs Taurus/Libra figures into a self image that must experience refinement by symmetry or improved (being a Taurus Venus represents me struggling to remove herself from detriment at the 29th degree of Aries in Saturn's/Mars last degree in the 9th house, as she is in orb with Jupiter to make a conjunction with him in Taurus) knowledge to affect balance. Venus near Jupiter gathers unto her a higher value that strives to diminished her detriment estate. Her her association with him also served to gormandize an inordinate appreciation of food, therefore an up and down syndrome of weight loss and gain, aided by the assistance of weight loss drugs, (Saturn near Neptune). The Moon leaving a trine with her translates the energy to Jupiter and then to my Sun, who joys in the 9th, Jupiter protects by his closeness to Venus, and with the Moon in the 1st house near Regulus on my Ascendant the constant fluctuation of weight loss and gain has no lasting harmful effect (still hoping, am 65) on my heart (Sun) or health, Moon is water retention and flow of fluids in Virgo, the intestine, with an ability to represent a flushing of toxins necessary for intestinal health.
Saturn in Libra, Capricorn lord has left his post or domain removed to the 5th house, Capricorn there, Saturn in Libra gives me great joy in being a parent, the 5th house gave me reason for continued hope in life itself for the great good to develop a child into successful adulthood. A child balances my higher thoughts of communion with the Father.
Should I have known at an early age that Capricorn on the 5th concerned the destiny of children to make some consideration to safeguarding his concerns there, there would have been less strife for my child and myself where they are concerned.

Saturn in Libra with Neptune also was instrumental of attracting an older man for romance, he being in the entertainment field, but Vindemiatrix limited marriage prospects considerably.

Sorry for redundancies

Off my soap box-hope I didn't get off topic too much..

Love the thread

All the best

Vyri

Attachments

• Natal Vyri.jpg
    Natal Vyri.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: