Retrogrades and Horary

twistandshout

So we all know there's five planets in retrograde at the moment, so I'm looking to understand how aspects would work now with the current astral set up.

I know that retrograde planets are considered weakened but what kind of impact does that ultimately mean for the chart itself?

Example: say significator for querent is Mars, significator for the question is Venus. Venus as we all know right now is retrograde (though will be turning direct on the 15th). Those two planets are applying a sextile to one another at the moment and will perfect it in a few days. Would Venus being retrograde still have a negative impact on this and what the fulfillment of this aspect could bring? The same could be said I guess for Sun and Saturn (since Saturn is RX) or Moon and Saturn as well.

So I guess the short question is - when and how do we qualify Retrogrades as a sincere No to the question, and if they're not a no - get a better understanding of how they impact the results/outcome.

dr. farr

I have never delineated an rx planet as a "no" answer simply because it is rx; for me, rx means either a return or turning back toward, OR a self-conflicted significator, OR delay in attaining a particular end or result.

waybread

A planet's strength is determined by several factors, so being retrograde wouldn't necessarily be damaging if, for example, the planet were angular and exalted.

But-- one really big deciding factor in judgments is whether the querent's and quesited's planets will conjunct or form a harmonious aspect during the horoscope's time frame. You can have aspects perfect if one or even both planets is retrograde. The same rules apply.

Suppose Boy (Mercury) breaks up with Girl (sun.) She's sad and asks, "Will we get back together?" He's symbolized by the faster-moving planet; and even though it's retrograde, if it will perfect a trine with her planet, then chances are he's now having second thoughts and will contact her again with an apology.

You might want to double-check an ephemeris. We could imagine in the above example, that it looks like Retrograde Boy has second thoughts about the break-up, wants to kiss & make up, but then his planet Mercury suddenly turns direct, and before that trine perfects with Lady Sun, Mercury suddenly conjuncts Ms Venus. Oops. He's just met someone new.

Similarly, even without an aspect perfecting, you could get a retrograde planet involved in mutual reception (something like Mercury in Leo and sun in Virgo) that would probably give a "yes." Or the quesited's retrograde planet might happily perfect an aspect with the moon (the querent's stake in the matter.)

Each chart is different.

Have you got a particular one to post?

tikana

So we all know there's five planets in retrograde at the moment, so I'm looking to understand how aspects would work now with the current astral set up.

I know that retrograde planets are considered weakened but what kind of impact does that ultimately mean for the chart itself?

Example: say significator for querent is Mars, significator for the question is Venus. Venus as we all know right now is retrograde (though will be turning direct on the 15th). Those two planets are applying a sextile to one another at the moment and will perfect it in a few days. Would Venus being retrograde still have a negative impact on this and what the fulfillment of this aspect could bring? The same could be said I guess for Sun and Saturn (since Saturn is RX) or Moon and Saturn as well.

So I guess the short question is - when and how do we qualify Retrogrades as a sincere No to the question, and if they're not a no - get a better understanding of how they impact the results/outcome.

okay .. soo when a planet goes retro regardless in how strong essentially it is, it is a weakened state. It is almost as if you are being held back as you want to move forward.
If you lost an object and it is retro, you will get it back

regarding venus/mars sextile it is not really mutual application since venus is literally stationary to go direct. so venus was held back now it is more than likely to favor mars (+ mutuall application venus loves mars and mars adores venus .. both can handle each other)

sun/saturn is literally screaming I am the sun i will dominate you, you saturn will have to deal with this... sun dominates but it can destroy saturn if saturn does not receive sun by tripcity *lucky placement*

Senecar

When I did a horary chart for a lost parcel, there were 3 planets Rx = Sa, Ju, Ve.

They have created anxiety, frustration and delays certainly for all parties involved. But the main and co-significators were strong and in good aspects.

The prediction was that the outcome will be favorable.

In the end, the parcel was located, delivered to the destination albeit after 10 days of delay, and all lived happily thereafter.

Last edited:

waybread

Great example, Senecar.

The symbolism of a retrograde significator can be that what went away from you is returning. Or that a person is having second thoughts.

I agree with Tikana that retrogrades traditionally get some demerits as in a weakened position. On the other hand, this is consistent with a situation like the missing cat who comes back home cold and hungry, or the person with serious misgivings about an ill-advised course of action.

tikana

When I did a horary chart for a lost parcel, there were 3 planets Rx = Sa, Ju, Ve.

They have created anxiety, frustration and delays certainly for all parties involved. But the main and co-significators were strong and in good aspects.

The prediction was that the outcome will be favorable.

In the end, the parcel was located, delivered to the destination albeit after 10 days of delay, and all lived happily thereafter.

can you post a chart on another thread please?