Real Utility: Timing Techniques

FranzSchubert

What's the most reliable timing technique you've bumped into? What was your first exposure to it, and what made you start employing it in your practice? What anecdotes have you been most impressed by?

To share my own take here: After some time now spent on profections, transits, planetary years/days, primary directions, triplicity lords, ZR, SR charts, and a few others I've dabbled in (but mostly profections, primary directions, SR charts, transits), I've been a bit underwhelmed ultimately with the results. Whatever success I've had with particular occurrences (and there have been a few) are so few that I can safely chalk them up to base intuition/happenstance.

The most practically reliable/impressive indicators I've thus far run into have been profections (specifically annual profections from asc and sect light), which are 90% of the time good indicators for the general flavor/theme of any given year I'm looking at. But, having spent many hundreds of hours researching and attempting to utilize the others, the results have been a tad bit underwhelming to say the least. Even profections don't do what they're supposedly meant to as far as activated planetary transits go, which more often than not -even when all traditional indicators suggest otherwise- do absolutely nothing even during the most extreme transits.

There are supposedly methods out there for predictions of a more concrete nature, but at least with all of the western techniques I've thus far come across- I have yet to find one that works for me in that way. *All* (without exception) praises/assessments of *any* of these techniques accessible online (that I am aware of) are exercises in post-hoc rationalizations (or at least they can be construed as such) rather than actually floating predictions+documenting the realization of the outcome.

How much time does the average traditionalist/predictive astrologer spend reading such material? X thing happens to Y native/thing, Z astrologer writes up a 10 page dissertation explaining why it is that their particular assortment of astrological factors explain why X happened to Y in the manner that it did, with no one delineation of the sort looking anything like the next. These are of course entertaining reads, but is anyone actually getting it right out there?

Is there anyone reading this that has been able to escape this rut, or knows of someone who has? There are many staunch proponents of X or Y techniques (see: Z astrologer(s)) who after many years of proselytizing the merits of their preferred technique still don't seem to be able to actually apply them toward accurate event/outcome delineations. Besides the few who do it for the grift, why is this? From where do they derive the motivation to, year after year, keep engaging with the same techniques that never bare fruit?

The veidics seem to have a better reputation for accuracy in this respect than western traditionalists do, but that's just the impression I've gotten over the years. Many stories told through the grapevine of veidic astrologers predicting exact dates of marriage, death, property acquisition, precise illnesses, when it's going to rain etc. I myself have dabbled in the dasha system and have certainly found it to be quite accurate, but not any moreso I would say than annual profections or ZR. Hard to say.

Some of the more militant proponents of "free will" won't like me saying this, but the fact of the matter is that -If from a chart a seasoned astrologer can accurately discern significant features of temperament/constitution/history in a native without knowing them (and this much is empirically observable)- then it follows that predicting real future events/outcome(s) shouldn't be too far off. And yet it certainly seems to be. Why?

Is it the case that the relatively few fragments of insight from older sources that we have to work are still decades away from being refined to a practically functional condition? If so, would it not be more fruitful for people to move over to the veidic system which seems to have done a better job at preserving itself over the years in its ability to provide real world utility in the modern age?

Any book recommendations anyone has to go with this topic, feel free to share them here as well.

Last edited:

JUPITERASC

What's the most reliable timing technique you've bumped into? What was your first exposure to it, and what made you start employing it in your practice? What anecdotes have you been most impressed by?

To share my own take here: After some time now spent on profections, transits, planetary years/days, primary directions, triplicity lords, ZR, SR charts, and a few others I've dabbled in (but mostly profections, primary directions, SR charts, transits), I've been a bit underwhelmed ultimately with the results. Whatever success I've had with particular occurrences (and there have been a few) are so few that I can safely chalk them up to base intuition/happenstance.

The most practically reliable/impressive indicators I've thus far run into have been profections (specifically annual profections from asc and sect light), which are 90% of the time good indicators for the general flavor/theme of any given year I'm looking at. But, having spent many hundreds of hours researching and attempting to utilize the others, the results have been a tad bit underwhelming to say the least. Even profections don't do what they're supposedly meant to as far as activated planetary transits go, which more often than not -even when all traditional indicators suggest otherwise- do absolutely nothing even during the most extreme transits.

There are supposedly methods out there for predictions of a more concrete nature, but at least with all of the western techniques I've thus far come across- I have yet to find one that works for me in that way. *All* (without exception) praises/assessments of *any* of these techniques accessible online (that I am aware of) are exercises in post-hoc rationalizations (or at least they can be construed as such) rather than actually floating predictions+documenting the realization of the outcome.

How much time does the average traditionalist/predictive astrologer spend reading such material? X thing happens to Y native/thing, Z astrologer writes up a 10 page dissertation explaining why it is that their particular assortment of astrological factors explain why X happened to Y in the manner that it did, with no one delineation of the sort looking anything like the next. These are of course entertaining reads, but is anyone actually getting it right out there?

Is there anyone reading this that has been able to escape this rut, or knows of someone who has? There are many staunch proponents of X or Y techniques (see: Z astrologer(s)) who after many years of proselytizing the merits of their preferred technique still don't seem to be able to actually apply them toward accurate event/outcome delineations. Besides the few who do it for the grift, why is this? From where do they derive the motivation to, year after year, keep engaging with the same techniques that never bare fruit?

The veidics seem to have a better reputation for accuracy in this respect than western traditionalists do, but that's just the impression I've gotten over the years. Many stories told through the grapevine of veidic astrologers predicting exact dates of marriage, death, property acquisition, precise illnesses, when it's going to rain etc. I myself have dabbled in the dasha system and have certainly found it to be quite accurate, but not any moreso I would say than annual profections or ZR. Hard to say.

Some of the more militant proponents of "free will" won't like me saying this, but the fact of the matter is that -If from a chart a seasoned astrologer can accurately discern significant features of temperament/constitution/history in a native without knowing them (and this much is empirically observable)- then it follows that predicting real future events/outcome(s) shouldn't be too far off. And yet it certainly seems to be. Why?

Is it the case that the relatively few fragments of insight from older sources that we have to work are still decades away from being refined to a practically functional condition? If so, would it not be more fruitful for people to move over to the veidic system which seems to have done a better job at preserving itself over the years in its ability to provide real world utility in the modern age?

Any book recommendations anyone has to go with this topic, feel free to share them here as well.

Traditional Astrology & Ancient Wisdom :)

JUPITERASC

I have found the annual profection method of manilius and Paulus Alexandrianus to produce pretty good results;

however I have obtained best results from a method which I am not permitted to mention on this forum.
clearly a Modernist method then :)

this is our traditional board

however
this forum does have a separate Modernistic board
as well as multiple General boards

on which your Modernistic aka "...eclectic..." method is postable

JUPITERASC

by the way
When you have a planet in the middle of a sign
and when the Profected year begins

some question
whether to start to count
1) from 0 degree of the sign
2) from 15 degree where the planet is
3) from the beginning of the House it is in which may be + or - 0 degree of that sign.

Martin Gansten profects by 30-degree increments
so if the natal ascendant is 12 degrees of a sign
the profected ascendant on the birthday will also be 12 degrees of whatever sign it has reached :)
He treats the ruler of that sign as the ruler of the entire year
even after the continuously profected ascendant has changed signs.
If there is a planet in the sign of the year he will pay attention to it

especially if the profected ascendant is still applying to it.

dr. farr

Manilius and Paulus Alexandrianus methods profect by sign to sign, essentially by 30 degree increments. Since both used whole sign houses they profected from 0 degree of the sign/house; for them, the predominant planet of the profected year was the lord of the sign or, if a planet was in the sign, it was that planet; if 2 or more planets were in that sign, these would share dominance in that year; for them, planet/planets in a sign-if any-took predominance over the lord of that sign in the specific profection period; both had some modifications of their general technique to apply to sub-periods within the profection year.

JUPITERASC

the basic Hellenistic method of profections
is, if one’s natal Ascendant was Pisces
then it’d profect to Aries at Age 1 = second year of life.
then to Taurus at Age 2 = third year of life
and so forth.
The profections would be such that the whole second year would be an Aries annual profection.
In the Hellenistic technique there is no such thing as the “...degree...” of the profection :)

Section 'Origins'
"...This style of profections appears to have started in the 8th century CE with certain Persian astrologers.
It is noted in the work of Umar al-Tabari.
Abu Ma’shar - active in the 9th century CE - also famously used this type of profecting
in both natal and mundane work.
10th century CE astrology al-Qabisi aka Alchabitius, as well as later medieval
and Renaissance European astrologers, also profected in this manner.

However, Masha’allah, of the 8th century CE, used the Hellenistic style profections..."

dr. farr

Sub-periods of profection years were sometimes determined during medieval times using duodenaries representing 30 day periods and monomoirea representing approx. 12 day periods-these being derived from the specific profection year sign; this sub-period profection technique being introduced during the later part of the Arabic transitional era. I have used this sub-period technique, which seems to me to have improved profection accuracy, at least for me. Using this I get more specific indications, rather than just the “general trend” indications I usually obtain from the basic yearly profection technique.

Last edited:

*Morph*

Hmm, I have been studying Abu Mashar, and to break it down simply - he advocates knowing the sign of the natal profected ASC, then casting an SR to know where that sign and it's lord fall in the SR. You then have a Sign of the Year (SOY) and a Lord of the Year (LOY).
Know the whole sign angles to SOY. Profect the SR ASC 1 sign per month to discover pivotal points in a year (according to the SOY) and in which month the LOY is discovered. Do this also to the lord of the SR ASC. In which month does the ASC reach it's lord? And to go even deeper he also distributes the SR ASC through the bounds. It's cool stuff.