Psychiatry and Astrology

Osamenor

Staff member
I saw being an astrologer and psychiatrist as like actually reading people's charts to try and help them on a spiritual level instead of just providing them drugs and moving on.

That is exactly what an astrologer does. At least, that's what an astrologer does if s/he is the kind of astrologer who does that. Astrology is a form of counseling. It sounds to me like it's the counseling part that has you excited.

I went to a college that had a design your own major program. Instead of lots of requirements listed for each major, you could take whatever classes you wanted to, as long as you had a plan for how that would fit into the major you were designing for yourself and could justify it to your graduation committee. I took some psychology, some education, some religion, and called it Human Development. Counseling skills was one of the classes I took. I did not actually end up becoming a therapist--graduate school just wasn't for me--but I have done a lot of education-related work, and now I'm turning myself into an astrologer and herbalist.

My point is that when you go to college, there are lots of classes you can take, there are lots of things you can try. You don't have to start with your major figured out. Usually, the first year is introductory courses anyway. You can take a few classes that seem interesting and then decide where that seems to be going. If you take some classes that would prepare you for counseling, you'll have that skill to use in astrology.

If you do become a psychotherapist, you can put pretty much anything into your practice.

waybread

Good posts, Osamenor. One thing that many faculty are doing now is to teach skills needed in the workplace as much as the subject matter. Group presentations that require teamwork, writing across the curriculum, peer-to-peer teaching, and presentations would be examples.

AppLeo-- The Hermit tarot card seems appropriate for an 8th house Leo sun!

Attachments

• hermit tarot.jpg
    hermit tarot.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 27

JUPITERASC

That is exactly what an astrologer does.
At least, that's what an astrologer does if s/he is the kind of astrologer who does that.
Astrology is a form of counseling.
It sounds to me like it's the counseling part that has you excited.

I went to a college that had a design your own major program.
Instead of lots of requirements listed for each major, you could take whatever classes you wanted to
as long as you had a plan for how that would fit into the major you were designing for yourself
and could justify it to your graduation committee.
I took some psychology, some education, some religion, and called it Human Development.
Counseling skills was one of the classes I took.
I did not actually end up becoming a therapist--graduate school just wasn't for me
but I have done a lot of education-related work
and now I'm turning myself into an astrologer and herbalist.
Nicholas CULPEPER was an herbalist astrologer - his herbal is still in print
it's voluminous, packed with herbal and astrological lore
available on amazon

one of our members dr. farr
is a qualified homeopathic doctor who also uses astrology

My point is that when you go to college
there are lots of classes you can take, there are lots of things you can try.
You don't have to start with your major figured out.
Usually, the first year is introductory courses anyway.
You can take a few classes that seem interesting and then decide where that seems to be going.
If you take some classes that would prepare you for counseling
you'll have that skill to use in astrology

If you do become a psychotherapist
you can put pretty much anything into your practice.
Couselling qualification helpful for psychological astrological practice :smile:

AppLeo

I love this! I am also a Leo with Capricorn rising, and it rings true for me.

That's so cool!! What's your Moon sign??

This whole conversation brings to my mind a basic rule of astrology: if you're unhappy, disenchanted, not functioning well, consider your sun's sign and house. That's the prescription for what you need.

For a Leo, the prescription is joy and ego growth. What brings you the most joy? What makes you the most yourself?

House placement suggests how. If you're a Leo with Capricorn rising, your sun is in the eighth house whole sign. That would suggest something eighth house to help your ego grow. Psychiatry and astrology are both eighth house things... so there you have it, the topic of this thread! However, I'm talking about in the moment here, not necessarily your longterm career. Any of the many things the eighth house stands for might do it. Depends on which eighth house things float your boat.[/QUOTE]

I could always do 8th house things on the side to balance out the awfulness of the career I decide on. I've always seen the 8th house as the house of power, and both Leo and Capricorn signs are power signs, but that's just one way of going about it. Leo with Capricorn Rising probably just always needs transformation and depth in their life. If you combine a leo and cap, it would kind of be like a scorpio, I think.

If Placidus or Koch or whatever house system you use places your sun in the seventh or ninth house instead of the eighth, then a seventh or ninth house indication would be added here.

In whole house my Sun is in the 8th, but in placidus and koch my Sun is in the 7th house. I guess a relationship will only make me happy, I guess.

Your current situation--figuring out your path after high school and separating from your parents--is a whole other thing. In the long run, your sun sign prescription is still the same: do whatever brings you joy. Do you need your job to bring you joy? Maybe. Some people absolutely cannot spend 8 hours a day, 5 days a week doing something that doesn't bring them joy. Others can live with a merely okay job, as long as they put the focus of their life somewhere other than work.

That's probably the path that I'm going to go on. It's really hard to follow your passions in your work in the world that we live in.

It sounds like your mom is someone who can live with a merely okay job, or at least she's settled for that. But are you? What you've said in this thread sounds to me like you're not. You're just trying to settle for something you don't really like because you've absorbed the message that you're not supposed to like your work.

I think I am settling for something I don't want and the message has been locked into my brain. I might settle with something stupid like accounting or whatever.

Have you posted your chart anywhere? How important it is that your work be what brings you joy depends on your chart, IMO.

I can post my chart. I'll attach it to this post. My 10th house is empty and the ruler is in the 7th house. So my career probably doesn't matter to me unless I'm around other people, and with Leo Sun that means a career that just makes me feel happy around other people.

Regarding college and what to major in... for most people who go to college, their major doesn't have much to do with what they do in the long run. It's just a stepping stone, and it has the most bearing on the first five years or so after college. If you go into a field that requires lots of education, like doctor or lawyer, the path from school to work is clear. If you're like the majority of people who just get their bachelors degree and then go work in the corporate world (or maybe the nonprofit world), what you majored in won't have much of an impact in the long run.

I like the sound of a stepping stone.

That is exactly what an astrologer does. At least, that's what an astrologer does if s/he is the kind of astrologer who does that. Astrology is a form of counseling. It sounds to me like it's the counseling part that has you excited.

I am excited about that. I don't really care about the other stuff; I just think it's cool to talk to someone about their problems for a job.

I went to a college that had a design your own major program. Instead of lots of requirements listed for each major, you could take whatever classes you wanted to, as long as you had a plan for how that would fit into the major you were designing for yourself and could justify it to your graduation committee. I took some psychology, some education, some religion, and called it Human Development. Counseling skills was one of the classes I took. I did not actually end up becoming a therapist--graduate school just wasn't for me--but I have done a lot of education-related work, and now I'm turning myself into an astrologer and herbalist.

That's really cool!

My point is that when you go to college, there are lots of classes you can take, there are lots of things you can try. You don't have to start with your major figured out. Usually, the first year is introductory courses anyway. You can take a few classes that seem interesting and then decide where that seems to be going. If you take some classes that would prepare you for counseling, you'll have that skill to use in astrology.

True. I just hate going into college with no idea or path. I don't want college to be some buffet; I want it to be like an easy meal that I've had a million times in the past.

If you do become a psychotherapist, you can put pretty much anything into your practice.

As long as its legal.

Osamenor

Staff member
That's so cool!! What's your Moon sign??
Sagittarius.

I could always do 8th house things on the side to balance out the awfulness of the career I decide on.
Better yet, choose a career with something 8th house in it. You're not finished with school yet, let alone in a career. Don't think of your future career as awful. Learn about the choices you can make. That doesn't even necessarily mean choosing an established career (like doctor, lawyer, teacher, accountant, etc.). Some people design their own and do something that hasn't really been thought of before.

Life is not about career, however. Career is part of life, but it is not your life. No matter what you do for a career, you'll need other things in your life, too.
I've always seen the 8th house as the house of power, and both Leo and Capricorn signs are power signs, but that's just one way of going about it. Leo with Capricorn Rising probably just always needs transformation and depth in their life. If you combine a leo and cap, it would kind of be like a scorpio, I think.
My thoughts exactly!

In whole house my Sun is in the 8th, but in placidus and koch my Sun is in the 7th house. I guess a relationship will only make me happy, I guess.
I'd say it's much deeper than that. If your sun is in a relationship house, relationships are a key growth area for you. No matter what kind of relationships you have, with whom, at what time in your life, those relationships are a catalyst for growth. That might mean they make you happy. That might mean you go through some major relationship difficulties. Probably, both of those things will happen, because both of those things happen to all of us. The difference for people with 7th/8th house suns is that those particular issues are especially crucial growth points, which they might not be for people who don't have that part of their chart emphasized in any way.

I look at the overlapping meaning of the seventh and eighth house as covering every aspect of partnership. Seventh house is relationships that are clearly defined and spelled out: marriage, business partnership, relationship titles (as in, she's my girlfriend, he's my husband, she's my colleague, he's my best friend), while the eighth house is the underlying energies and currents in the relationship, the part that's felt rather than seen: interpersonal dynamics, shared resources, sexual chemistry if it's that kind of relationship, etc.

If you become a therapist, an astrologer, or anything along those lines, that 7th/8th house message will automatically be infused in your work. A practitioner/client relationship is one of the many kinds of partnership that can be indicated by the seventh house. That's true whether you're the practitioner or the client. And, by definition, any kind of work that brings on that transformation is very eighth house.

If you put yourself on the path to enter a helping profession, like counseling, any good program will require you to undergo what you're studying yourself. If you're going to be a therapist, you need the experience of being a therapy client. So, at least through your training, you would experience that partnership on both sides.

I can post my chart. I'll attach it to this post.
There's no chart attached to this post. Did you forget to do it, or did something go wrong with the attempt?
My 10th house is empty and the ruler is in the 7th house. So my career probably doesn't matter to me unless I'm around other people, and with Leo Sun that means a career that just makes me feel happy around other people.
If your tenth house is empty, look to the ruler of your MC. Which sign/house is it in?

I would take an empty tenth house to mean that your key growth points don't include your public reputation. For someone with a packed tenth house, the experience of being highly visible in some way--whether that means being household name famous or just very well known in their community, social circle, and/or line of work--is likely to be a key growth issue, just as relationships are one of yours. That says nothing about the importance of career, or lack thereof.

I don't want college to be some buffet; I want it to be like an easy meal that I've had a million times in the past.
I have news for you: college is not like that. Ever.

As long as its legal.
True. You might get in some trouble if you're incorporating illegal substances into your practice, say. But for the most part, anything goes that has a healing effect. If you want to bring in astrology, as long as the client is open to that, it should be fine.

AppLeo

Sagittarius.

I have a Virgo Moon. :joyful:

Better yet, choose a career with something 8th house in it. You're not finished with school yet, let alone in a career. Don't think of your future career as awful. Learn about the choices you can make. That doesn't even necessarily mean choosing an established career (like doctor, lawyer, teacher, accountant, etc.). Some people design their own and do something that hasn't really been thought of before.

True. I have time to think about whatever it is I want to do. Maybe I could start a business...

Life is not about career, however. Career is part of life, but it is not your life. No matter what you do for a career, you'll need other things in your life, too.
My thoughts exactly!

That's very true, but career is like 80% of what you do with your time.

I'd say it's much deeper than that. If your sun is in a relationship house, relationships are a key growth area for you. No matter what kind of relationships you have, with whom, at what time in your life, those relationships are a catalyst for growth. That might mean they make you happy. That might mean you go through some major relationship difficulties. Probably, both of those things will happen, because both of those things happen to all of us. The difference for people with 7th/8th house suns is that those particular issues are especially crucial growth points, which they might not be for people who don't have that part of their chart emphasized in any way.

Definitely.

I look at the overlapping meaning of the seventh and eighth house as covering every aspect of partnership. Seventh house is relationships that are clearly defined and spelled out: marriage, business partnership, relationship titles (as in, she's my girlfriend, he's my husband, she's my colleague, he's my best friend), while the eighth house is the underlying energies and currents in the relationship, the part that's felt rather than seen: interpersonal dynamics, shared resources, sexual chemistry if it's that kind of relationship, etc.

That's how I think of it too!! 8th house gives value to the 7th house.

If you become a therapist, an astrologer, or anything along those lines, that 7th/8th house message will automatically be infused in your work. A practitioner/client relationship is one of the many kinds of partnership that can be indicated by the seventh house. That's true whether you're the practitioner or the client. And, by definition, any kind of work that brings on that transformation is very eighth house.

I totally agree!! I seriously think being a therapist would be great–if my mom would be okay with it :annoyed:

If you put yourself on the path to enter a helping profession, like counseling, any good program will require you to undergo what you're studying yourself. If you're going to be a therapist, you need the experience of being a therapy client. So, at least through your training, you would experience that partnership on both sides.

That's good :3

There's no chart attached to this post. Did you forget to do it, or did something go wrong with the attempt?

Yeah I forgot sorry! :lol:

If your tenth house is empty, look to the ruler of your MC. Which sign/house is it in?

It's in my 7th house. Just barely. It's smack dab right on the DC. And it's mars in cancer!! :sick: My mars makes no other aspects, except with Venus... I don't know if that conjunction counts because venus is in the 6th house.

Oddity told me that I'd suffer majorly in my career because of my mars.

From a modern perspective, however, Pluto is in my 11th house. I don't know if that's good or bad. Pluto is making all kinds of positive aspects. The hard one I have is a square to the moon, which points to depth, but insanity :lol:

I would take an empty tenth house to mean that your key growth points don't include your public reputation. For someone with a packed tenth house, the experience of being highly visible in some way--whether that means being household name famous or just very well known in their community, social circle, and/or line of work--is likely to be a key growth issue, just as relationships are one of yours. That says nothing about the importance of career, or lack thereof.

I'm really glad you mentioned that because that makes a lot of sense!! Maybe I'm stressing over something that isn't as important. I only have chiron in the 10th house so like... I guess career or "life's work" just isn't really the main purpose of my life.

Maybe because I have a lot of personal planets in the 7th/8th section of the chart means that I need to connect to people intimately. Forget a career, I'll just marry into someone that will take care of me :w00t:

I have news for you: college is not like that. Ever.

:w00t:

True. You might get in some trouble if you're incorporating illegal substances into your practice, say. But for the most part, anything goes that has a healing effect. If you want to bring in astrology, as long as the client is open to that, it should be fine.

I think that would be freaking great!! I know this is personal, but all of the freaking problems that I've been working on with my therapist could be easily indicated in my own chart. If she read my chart she would totally see things from a more interesting and helpful perspective.

Oddity

A-hem. Oddity didn't say you'd suffer majorly of having a career. Either of you!

But I am concerned that an unwise choice of career could be more harmful to you than it would to most people, Leo.

AppLeo

A-hem. Oddity didn't say you'd suffer majorly of having a career. Either of you!

But I am concerned that an unwise choice of career could be more harmful to you than it would to most people, Leo.

Well that's what I got from your analysis. But I'll just have to pick a career and be good with it. My mars can go jump in a lake.

neptunya

In my eastern european country, we have an astrology university. You can get a degree that allows you to legally get money through it. In this way you can make your own "business" and start consulting people and offering astrology services. This mostly happens with older astrologers that already made a reputation in many years. Not many people will come to you if they dont know you, of course.
But.
There are people that actually mix psychology with astrology in their work. People are mostly ignorant here, but after they see how easily the psychologist "reads" you, they will reccomend your services to every other person they know.
Im going to follow this path too:)

JUPITERASC

Well that's what I got from your analysis.
Seems you misunderstood
But I'll just have to pick a career and be good with it.
Everyone at some stage faces career choice
If you choose a life of crime,
just remember the essential key to success
--Don't Get Caught!
:bandit:
Siriusly advocating a life of crime??
Clearly the voice of experience :smile:

alternatively
to avoid capture
your mars has a watery option

My mars can go jump in a lake.

Taurus9

I have found that most astrologers, tarot readers, psychics, etc., are really just counsellors or psychotherapists that use divination methods to help them paint a picture and interpret a situation. I don't even think the method has to be accurate in most cases as it is mainly an art skill.

There are more scientific and practical astrologers out there but basically what people need is to see the same reality from different perspectives. I feel I would also be good at this kind of half-psychology, half-astrology type job. I would just like to have a certain method that I feel comfortable with repeating on multiple clients so I could offer a satisfaction guarantee.

For example, at the moment, I could interpret charts well based on the ascendant. I could comfortably offer ascendant counselling to anyone and excel in that niche. Maybe in a year or two I could start to specify in aspects, transits, and progressions and cognitive behaviour therapy. Eventually in 10 years I'll just read a full chart in a second and hand out pills... :p

Last edited:

Osamenor

Staff member
I totally agree!! I seriously think being a therapist would be great–if my mom would be okay with it :annoyed:
Part of being an adult is not having to get parental approval for what you do. Part of becoming an adult is learning that you don't need to. On your parents' end, it's a transition for them, too. They have to shift from being the parent of a child to being the parent of an adult, which is a rather different relationship, and they have to learn how to let go.

If your mom is trying to control your career choice, she hasn't made that shift. What career choices you make are yours, not hers.

Have you brought this issue up with your therapist?

It's in my 7th house. Just barely. It's smack dab right on the DC. And it's mars in cancer!! :sick: My mars makes no other aspects, except with Venus... I don't know if that conjunction counts because venus is in the 6th house.
It's close enough that I'd call it a conjunction, particularly when both planets are in the same sign.

So you have a Scorpio MC! That doubles down on the idea that you need an eighth house/Scorpio/Pluto-like career.

To me, it seems that Mars in the seventh conjunct Venus in the sixth (both on the DC), as your MC ruler, indicates a need for partnership in your career. That could mean working with one or more business partners, or it could indicate something like a therapy practice. If it's a practice, the client would be your partner, in that context. You would get as many partnerships as you have clients. The Cancer placement suggests nurturing, healing, maybe exploring roots, which is exactly what therapy is.

Pluto is making all kinds of positive aspects. The hard one I have is a square to the moon, which points to depth, but insanity :lol:
Pluto also trines your sun. I think that's a big part of the reason why you seem to have the experience of an eighth house sun, even though most house systems place your sun in the seventh. You're closely connected to Pluto.

I'm really glad you mentioned that because that makes a lot of sense!! Maybe I'm stressing over something that isn't as important. I only have chiron in the 10th house so like... I guess career or "life's work" just isn't really the main purpose of my life.

Maybe because I have a lot of personal planets in the 7th/8th section of the chart means that I need to connect to people intimately. Forget a career, I'll just marry into someone that will take care of me :w00t:
I didn't say career wasn't important for you. That's really the opposite of what I said. Having an empty tenth house doesn't mean career isn't important. It just means your main focus isn't on your public reputation. Career might still be very important. It might still be a key growth area for you. Probably will be, if you choose the right kind of career. But it won't be a career just for the sake of career. It will have to be something that uses the houses you have highlighted. We've talked about the seventh and eighth house, and how they have implications for your career. It's not marry someone to take care of you, it's do a kind of work that involves partnership in some way.

You can also choose to get married, of course. If you do, those sixth and seventh house/DC placements make me think you'll need your spouse to be someone who supports your work. Maybe someone who shares it. Perhaps you'll both be practitioners. I know a couple who both have healing practices and, since they do somewhat different forms of healing, they often end up sharing clients and referring clients to each other. You could end up in a relationship like that. If you don't, it will be something else that fits with your chart.

AppLeo

Part of being an adult is not having to get parental approval for what you do. Part of becoming an adult is learning that you don't need to. On your parents' end, it's a transition for them, too. They have to shift from being the parent of a child to being the parent of an adult, which is a rather different relationship, and they have to learn how to let go.

If your mom is trying to control your career choice, she hasn't made that shift. What career choices you make are yours, not hers.

Have you brought this issue up with your therapist?

A little bit. I'll try keep that in mind though. I keep forgetting that I'm 18 :lol:

It's close enough that I'd call it a conjunction, particularly when both planets are in the same sign.

A nice sexy mars-venus conjunction :3

So you have a Scorpio MC! That doubles down on the idea that you need an eighth house/Scorpio/Pluto-like career.

I know right!!!!!!!!!!!

To me, it seems that Mars in the seventh conjunct Venus in the sixth (both on the DC), as your MC ruler, indicates a need for partnership in your career. That could mean working with one or more business partners, or it could indicate something like a therapy practice. If it's a practice, the client would be your partner, in that context. You would get as many partnerships as you have clients. The Cancer placement suggests nurturing, healing, maybe exploring roots, which is exactly what therapy is.

That sounds way better than how Oddity put it. I could combine your description and his description. But yeah, being a psychologist/astrologer or something along those lines really sounds perfect for my career with the whole 8th/pluto/scorpio thing. 7th/8th in cancer and leo shows a need to connect to people and help them.

Pluto also trines your sun. I think that's a big part of the reason why you seem to have the experience of an eighth house sun, even though most house systems place your sun in the seventh. You're closely connected to Pluto.

Oh YEAH how could I forget that! xP I'm a transformative crazy person.

I didn't say career wasn't important for you. That's really the opposite of what I said. Having an empty tenth house doesn't mean career isn't important. It just means your main focus isn't on your public reputation. Career might still be very important. It might still be a key growth area for you. Probably will be, if you choose the right kind of career. But it won't be a career just for the sake of career. It will have to be something that uses the houses you have highlighted. We've talked about the seventh and eighth house, and how they have implications for your career. It's not marry someone to take care of you, it's do a kind of work that involves partnership in some way.

You can also choose to get married, of course. If you do, those sixth and seventh house/DC placements make me think you'll need your spouse to be someone who supports your work. Maybe someone who shares it. Perhaps you'll both be practitioners. I know a couple who both have healing practices and, since they do somewhat different forms of healing, they often end up sharing clients and referring clients to each other. You could end up in a relationship like that. If you don't, it will be something else that fits with your chart.

I definitely think I'll end up in a relationship through my career. Even my Venus in the 6th house (relationships in daily work) is trine my MC EXACTLY. Relationships are clearly going/should take place in my career.

You learn so much through relationships too. Relationships are like walking mirrors. When I look into someone, I see myself in them and vise versa. It's all really cool :tongue:

JUPITERASC

I didn't say career wasn't important for you.
That's really the opposite of what I said.

Having an empty tenth house
doesn't mean career isn't important.
It just means
your main focus isn't on your public reputation.

Career might still be very important.
It might still be a key growth area for you.
Probably will be, if you choose the right kind of career. But it won't be a career just for the sake of career.
Interesting comment on main focus not being public reputation
because
ex-President G W Bush has NO planets
- either classical OR modern - in either 9th house OR 10th house
USING ANY HOUSE SYSTEM
:smile:

AppLeo

Interesting comment on main focus not being public reputation
because
ex-President G W Bush has NO planets
- either classical OR modern - in either 9th house OR 10th house
USING ANY HOUSE SYSTEM

Maybe the ruler of his 10th house was in a prominent position.

JUPITERASC

Maybe the ruler of his 10th house was in a prominent position.
GW Bush natal is available on multiple online sources
so a simple matter for you to check that

meanwhile
I didn't say career wasn't important for you.
That's really the opposite of what I said.

Having an empty tenth house
doesn't mean career isn't important.

It just means
your main focus isn't on your public reputation

fact is an empty 10th house does NOT mean
that 'your main focus is not on your public reputation'

Last edited: