positive astrology - even more science

lfa

hello everyone,

psychology developed, like 10 years ago, a new branch of studies called positive psychology. as the name implies, the main focus in this fresh field is happiness. research within this area brings up the importance of positive thinking and its efforts show us that subtle differences in interpretations of things do make a huge difference in one's overall life.

since the construction of all astrological knowledge has always been influenced directly or indirectly by subjectivity (which is always brought up within the frames of collectiveness - culture and history) and also approaches to the same subjects dealt in psychology (coping and well-being) why there is no such thing as a 'positive astrology'?

i've noticed that there are too many different interpretations and discussions on the same range of subjects - meanings of houses, right calculations and rulers of planets -, and no discussion i've seen so far go further old-fashioned dichotomies that may distort the whole thing and inhibit the hability evoluting astrology as a science.

in the book les mots et les choses (the words and the things, in a loose translation), foucault points the characteristics of what in the xvi century was considered science - the most prominent one is the need to create limits to the world. books from antiquity started circulating again and people were basically summarizing and attaching new to previously built knowledge (or making great biased encyclopedias). in the xvii century, literature built a new relation between people and the wor(l)d. in the xix century, empirism killed itself giving space to science as we know it.

i believe there's no excuse for astrology not to give up interpretations of the 'bad' houses and positions. there may be a way to read a chart without pointing out saturn as difficult, for example. the novelty is in embracing astrology as something to strengten yourself and others who surround you, just like psychology has lately found out to be worth. not self-help, but alternative perspectives. why not let it have its own positive branch?

Last edited:
i believe there's no excuse for astrology not to give up interpretations of the 'bad' houses and positions. there may be a way to read a chart without pointing out saturn as difficult, for example. the novelty is in embracing astrology as something to strengten yourself and others who surround you, just like psychology has lately found out to be worth. not self-help, but alternative perspectives. why not let it have its own positive branch?

Quote by Freedomlover in post here on AW
In reality, no chart is definitely "good" or definitely "bad". As you pointed out, there is really no way of knowing how the energies will manifest. Some charts show a greater possibility for the energies to manifest well. But the same lovely trine that implies comfortable, loving energy can manifest as a feeder line that goes along with the other's abusive behaviour without questioning it. The same lovely sextile that implies harmony together can manifest as the two individuals will make the same bad choices.

There is a higher and a lower energy available in all the aspects. It all depends on free will and each individual's personal state of spiritual growth. In synastry there should be a varied degree of so called 'good and bad' aspects, but in reality I would use the terms, 'easy empathy, and challenging' cos without constant effort, respect, understanding and love and a willingness on both sides to 'work at matters' then no amount of good synastry will explain if a relationship will be successful or not...

problem is when we discuss natal charts, the more negative aspects and things like malifics planets, aspects are more easily recogniseable.

Plus I suppose it would take far more time to 'soften' reorientate explanations to 'alternatives' that it's easier to let the member research and read for themselves both possibilities.