Position of your Sun/Moon and your parents. (research)

ardentika

I'm extremely curious if you see a connection there.
For example, my father has his Sun on 11th cusp, so do I, but I bit more towards 10th.
My mother has Moon in 6th house, so do I.

When we take Jung's idea of the Sun/Moon midpoint, as he calls it the point of "inner marriage" we can come to the conclusion it means integration of the mother and the father within ourselves, to create a third energy that is well integrated and established in that world.

Have you noticed anything similar in your own charts, from your parent charts, specifically for the Sun and Moon. As they truly represent the father and the mother in their purest form.

CapAquaPis

My Sun is in Aquarius, my Mom's Moon in Aquarius (same with mine) while her sun is in Taurus, and my Dad's noon-time AC in Aquarius, although actual AC is in Aries, a fire sign like his Sagittarius sun...coincidence or connection? I think not.

Is the midpoint the actual degree between your natal Sun and Moon? (starts from 0' or 0' Aries to 359' or 29' Pisces). Starting from 26' Aquarius sun and 20' Aquarius moon on my natal chart, the mid point degree should be 23' Leo and that's opposite 23' Aquarius - my south node is 29' Aquarius vs true node in Leo.

I determined my parent's mid points: Between my Mom's 9' Taurus and 29' Aquarius/0' Pisces cusp moon is 4-5' Libra (and 4-5' Aries). And for my Dad's 26' Sagittarius sun and 15' Libra moon is 20-21' Scorpio (and 20-21' Taurus).

JUPITERASC

linking to another thread on this topic
with considerable data research material to browse over :smile:
for anyone interested at
https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56093

For example, my father has his Sun on 11th cusp, so do I, but I bit more towards 10th.

When we take Jung's idea of the Sun/Moon midpoint, as he calls it the point of "inner marriage" we can come to the conclusion it means integration of the mother and the father within ourselves, to create a third energy that is well integrated and established in that world.

Have you noticed anything similar in your own charts, from your parent charts, specifically for the Sun and Moon. As they truly represent the father and the mother in their purest form.

IleneK

Premium Member

Hi, ardentika.
Your comment about "Jung's idea of the Sun/Moon midpoint" is intriguing. I'm a bit of a Jung buff and am aware of his psychological notion of the inner marriage representing the union of opposites within, and also of his somewhat tangential interest in astrology. I was not aware, though, that he made an comments about planetary midpoints. I suppose I had thought that astrological practice of midpoints may not have been formalized until Reinhold Ebertin's Cosmobiology and Combination of Stellar Influences in the later 20th century.

I wondered if you might share your source of this attribution to Jung regarding midpoints, as I am always eager to learn more about his view of astrology.

Thank you.

Arena

What is it exactly that you are asking about?
Are you asking if we have same signs for Sun and Moon as our parents or the same houses or are you asking about their midpoints in parent's charts and if that has any significance in our chart? Or are you perhaps asking about all this?

ardentika

I'm asking about all. It's connected to another topic I made https://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=881213#post881213

It came to me in an odd channeled way but it is a curious theory.

Also I'm very interested about the positions especially. Connections between signs is something often observed, but its the positions I'm curious about. Ever since I found out I have the exact same position of my Sun as my dad's sun (Sun - the masculine) and same position of my moon as my mom's (moon - the feminine) and it made me really think if we all have to integrate those two or some are born with better integration.

I can say I often times I feel like I have two personalities in me that fight to take dominance. The grandomaniac (my father) and the family oriented one (my mother) and it has drove me crazy many times haha. It's definitely a difficult one but the more I learn to touch my 24 Libra midpoint, it gets calmer and easier. The inner marriage.

ardentika

"Sun/Moon Midpoint
The third axis is the Sun/Moon midpoint. The concept of midpoints (see Halfway to Heaven) in astrology is a fairly new concept. Fact is, though, in mythology and alchemy - the Sun/Moon "midpoint" axis is quite old. Don't believe me?

From the alchemical writing "Theatrum Chemicum" (1613 AD)
Volume IV, XV Duodecim tractatus de lapide philosophorum, Anonymous
An excerpt as quoted by Carl Jung in his book Aion:

"the aqua rosis nostri (water of our dew), whose "mother is the midpoint of the heavenly and earthly Sun and Moon."

But so what in the heck does this mean?

In this tractatus (treatise) the anonymous alchemist has been discussing the properties of the "philosopher's stone." The philosopher's stone is the mysterious "magnet which draws all things to itself." (Keep in mind that in 1613 AD, we were still somewhat in awe of the "mysterious, magical" properties of magnets...)

The philosopher's stone was the initial substance that the alchemist was attempting to create through experimentation. With the philospher's stone, one could then transform the base metal of lead into valuable gold.

The author has further (in this passage) now equated the much sought after "philosopher's stone" with the "aqua rosis nostri" (water of our dew).

In Western alchemical writings, the royal marriage of the Sun (heavenly) and Moon (earthly) was the final transformation stage whereby the end product (i.e. gold) could be created. Out of the Sun/Moon conjunctio (the philosopher's stone), the alchemist's work of transforming base metals into gold can be finally be completed. The coming together of the Sun (heavenly) and Moon (earthly) is the mother which gives birth to the philosopher's stone.

If you managed to get lost in this boring explanation (and I can't blame you) - then here's the point:

The marriage (conjunctio) of the Sun and Moon - the coming together of heaven and earth - results in the philosopher's stone that in turn gives one the ability to transform spiritual lead and give birth to spiritual gold. Spiritual gold can potentially be created in our lives by the alchemical "coming together" of the combined energies (midpoint) of the Sun and the Moon.

To be sure, there are many, much older alchemy (ancient Greek) text referrals to the royal marriage of the Sun and Moon which I could have quoted here.... but this passage caught my fancy due to its usage of the word "midpoint." Obviously, the anonymous author is not referring to our modern zodiacal calculations of the Sun/Moon midpoint axis. Or then again maybe he/she is…

And of the three axes I've mentioned in this section - the Sun/Moon midpoint axis is the one which interests me the most. I sometimes wonder if a big part of my fascination is that nobody really "messes" with it much... no one seems to be particularly interested...

However, I shouldn't make a blanket statement that absolutely no one is interested in the Sun/Moon midpoint...

In the fascinating writings of Helen Adams Garrett, The Karmic Horoscope, she utilized the Sun/Moon midpoint in a big way! She used it as what she called the "Karmic Degree" and with it formed a totally new chart, placing the Sun/Moon midpoint where the Ascendant degree normally goes. It's part and parcel of a very fascinating (speculative) theory that I won't go into here. If interested, you should fork out some bucks and buy the book."

https://thezodiac.com/sun.htm

IleneK

Premium Member
At different times in my life I have been steeped in mythology, alchemy, and later astrology, and so was aware of Jung's philosophic and psychological symbolism.
I erroneously thought you were attributing Jung's comments to what is known as midpoints in astrology, this being an astrology forum.
Thank you kindly for your extensive explanation. I appreciate it.

"Sun/Moon Midpoint
The third axis is the Sun/Moon midpoint. The concept of midpoints (see Halfway to Heaven) in astrology is a fairly new concept. Fact is, though, in mythology and alchemy - the Sun/Moon "midpoint" axis is quite old. Don't believe me?

From the alchemical writing "Theatrum Chemicum" (1613 AD)
Volume IV, XV Duodecim tractatus de lapide philosophorum, Anonymous
An excerpt as quoted by Carl Jung in his book Aion:

"the aqua rosis nostri (water of our dew), whose "mother is the midpoint of the heavenly and earthly Sun and Moon."

But so what in the heck does this mean?

In this tractatus (treatise) the anonymous alchemist has been discussing the properties of the "philosopher's stone." The philosopher's stone is the mysterious "magnet which draws all things to itself." (Keep in mind that in 1613 AD, we were still somewhat in awe of the "mysterious, magical" properties of magnets...)

The philosopher's stone was the initial substance that the alchemist was attempting to create through experimentation. With the philospher's stone, one could then transform the base metal of lead into valuable gold.

The author has further (in this passage) now equated the much sought after "philosopher's stone" with the "aqua rosis nostri" (water of our dew).

In Western alchemical writings, the royal marriage of the Sun (heavenly) and Moon (earthly) was the final transformation stage whereby the end product (i.e. gold) could be created. Out of the Sun/Moon conjunctio (the philosopher's stone), the alchemist's work of transforming base metals into gold can be finally be completed. The coming together of the Sun (heavenly) and Moon (earthly) is the mother which gives birth to the philosopher's stone.

If you managed to get lost in this boring explanation (and I can't blame you) - then here's the point:

The marriage (conjunctio) of the Sun and Moon - the coming together of heaven and earth - results in the philosopher's stone that in turn gives one the ability to transform spiritual lead and give birth to spiritual gold. Spiritual gold can potentially be created in our lives by the alchemical "coming together" of the combined energies (midpoint) of the Sun and the Moon.

To be sure, there are many, much older alchemy (ancient Greek) text referrals to the royal marriage of the Sun and Moon which I could have quoted here.... but this passage caught my fancy due to its usage of the word "midpoint." Obviously, the anonymous author is not referring to our modern zodiacal calculations of the Sun/Moon midpoint axis. Or then again maybe he/she is…

And of the three axes I've mentioned in this section - the Sun/Moon midpoint axis is the one which interests me the most. I sometimes wonder if a big part of my fascination is that nobody really "messes" with it much... no one seems to be particularly interested...

However, I shouldn't make a blanket statement that absolutely no one is interested in the Sun/Moon midpoint...

In the fascinating writings of Helen Adams Garrett, The Karmic Horoscope, she utilized the Sun/Moon midpoint in a big way! She used it as what she called the "Karmic Degree" and with it formed a totally new chart, placing the Sun/Moon midpoint where the Ascendant degree normally goes. It's part and parcel of a very fascinating (speculative) theory that I won't go into here. If interested, you should fork out some bucks and buy the book."

https://thezodiac.com/sun.htm

Last edited:

ardentika

Oh yes, I was, but this was more synthesized and on the topic. However, thete is a lot info on google about Carl Jung and his work on astrology! ^^

IleneK

Premium Member
Oh yes, I was, but this was more synthesized and on the topic. However, thete is a lot info on google about Carl Jung and his work on astrology! ^^

I am aware that Jung had tangential interest in astrology.

I am interested to know if you have any sources for ideas that Jung expressed on astrological midpoints and specifically the astrological midpoint of Sun and Moon.

As in my initial post to you in this thread:
Your comment about "Jung's idea of the Sun/Moon midpoint" is intriguing. I'm a bit of a Jung buff and am aware of his psychological notion of the inner marriage representing the union of opposites within, and also of his somewhat tangential interest in astrology. I was not aware, though, that he made an comments about [astrological] planetary midpoints.

Last edited:

ardentika

I am aware that Jung had tangential interest in astrology.

I am interested to know if you have any sources for ideas that Jung expressed on astrological midpoints and specifically the astrological midpoint of Sun and Moon.

As in my initial post to you in this thread:
Your comment about "Jung's idea of the Sun/Moon midpoint" is intriguing. I'm a bit of a Jung buff and am aware of his psychological notion of the inner marriage representing the union of opposites within, and also of his somewhat tangential interest in astrology. I was not aware, though, that he made an comments about [astrological] planetary midpoints.

No, sadly I couldn't find anything as well. Only quotes from other astrologers. But he spoke a lot about the inner marriage, the balancing of the masculine and feminine within us (sun-moon) , he was also the one who discovered that Sun/Moon contacts in synastry, especially conjunctions are those who produce the lasting marriages. I don't think he has commented directly for the Sun/Moon midpoint, I might have written it in an ambiguous way, sorry about that.
But it is the same thing, the Sun/Moon midpoint IS our truest nature, and most balanced self, most evolved one if you wish. The self we achieve through spiritual trials and quests, through pain and knowledge.

IleneK

Premium Member
No, sadly I couldn't find anything as well. Only quotes from other astrologers. But he spoke a lot about the inner marriage, the balancing of the masculine and feminine within us (sun-moon) , he was also the one who discovered that Sun/Moon contacts in synastry, especially conjunctions are those who produce the lasting marriages. I don't think he has commented directly for the Sun/Moon midpoint, I might have written it in an ambiguous way, sorry about that.
But it is the same thing, the Sun/Moon midpoint IS our truest nature, and most balanced self, most evolved one if you wish. The self we achieve through spiritual trials and quests, through pain and knowledge.

Beautifully spoken and thank you for patiently working through this with me.