Planets near house cusps in my chart

waybread

One astrologer whom I respect very much says that different house systems may fit better with some individuals than with others. She says that one way to test this is to think of times when really big unexpected things happened to you, and then go back and look at whether Uranus just moved into a house consistent with those events.

Sometimes it is helpful to think of a planet partaking of both houses. For example, if you have a planet late in a particular house and it feels "right" there, look at your progressions. It may have progressed into the next house, or possibly for people middle-aged and above, into the house after that.

dr. farr

Looking at the reference chart in whole sign, only 2 planets (Saturn and Uranus) are relatively near (within 4 degrees) of the next house. So (in my approach) I would not consider this an "on the border" type of chart at all ("on the border" charts are those in which several planets are right on or very near the "border" between signs and houses)

waybread

I am not a fan of whole sign houses. Do you really feel it works best for you?

More to the point, Uranus is not a personal planet. But you do have Aquarius rising; so in modern astrology, Uranus is your chart ruler.

dr. farr

Thank you waybread and dr. farr. :smile:

I will check progressions and Uranus, maybe it will take time for it to develop. About Saturn and Uranus, the descriptions for it being in the tenth house are more fitting for me. I don't think I'm an eleventh house type.

This is my chart in whole signs, http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff175/skillcoilistaken/chart-3.jpg

In your feelings about Uranus in your 10th rather than 11th, by the once commonly used Greco/Roman technique called "dodekatemorion"* (and my specific use is that of Pauline dodekatemorion) , the dodek (or "ramification") of Uranus @ 27 Sagittarius falls in your TENTH house (at 21 Scorpio) Perhaps this ramification is what "took" more strongly in your energy field, than the bodily placement of Uranus in the 11th; I have seen this type of thing occur quite frequently...

*this once very commonly applied analytical technique fell out of use in Islamic astrology times, is unknown in later traditionalist and Modernist astrology, and has only come back into use among the small number of contemporary neo-Hellenist astrologers; I have found it an invaluable analytical tool as part of my eclectic approach. There are 2 modulations of the dodeks: the Egyptian (using a multiplying factor of 12) and the Pauline (multiplying factor of 13) Striking resemblances exist between these ancient concepts and harmonic astrology: the Egyptian dodek involving the 12th harmonic and the Pauline the 13th harmonic. Egyptian dodekatemorion may be studied in Valens ("Anthology"), Maternus ("Matthiosis") and Rhetorius'; Pauline dodekatemorion in Greenbaum's "Late Classical Astrology" (except for Valens, these books are readily available at astroamerica.com, and other sites selling both traditional and modern astrology books)

Last edited:

waybread

Skillcoil, when people have afflictions to 11th house planets, they may say "I'm not an 11th house type," oftentimes meaning that friendships are problematic for them, or that they are loners. But if 11th house planets are afflicted, this is precisely what you would expect! Sometimes people dislike a particular house system because they see its placements as unflattering; but then, hopefully astrology always suggests constructive ways to deal with those placements. Focus on your personal planets and on aspects to them first, then pull up the rest of your chart behind them. Sez Da Way!

dr. farr

Saturn's Pauline dodek "ramification" is also in the 10th house; interesting that the dodek ramification of the ascending degree is also in the 10th house (around 29Scorpio-right at the border of the 10/11th houses) These dodeks show "hidden connections" and "under the surface" influences, which can often provide additional assistance in chart delineation.

dr. farr

Just briefly, these are sign 1/12ths-they continue the "sectioning" of each sign down from the decans (10 degree sections) to the duodenaries (2.5 degree sections) They go back to the oldest (surviving) book on Western astrology ("Astronomica", Manilius, 14 AD) and continued in use (as showing modifying influences on planets, Lots or cusps posited in them) through early Renaissance times (falling out of use soon thereafter) They have always played a role in jyotish (Vedic) astrology, up to the present time. A bit of interest and use of them in Modernist astrology was shown a few decades ago and their application in Modernist delineation can be read in the books entitled "Decans and Dwads" and-especially-"144 Doors of the Zodiac" (both books are available on Amazon and also at astroameric.com)

I have posted several times about the duodenaries ("dwads"-that's short for the jyotish name, dwadashama) here on AW, as well as earlier on the Astrodienst forum.

Last edited:

dr. farr

Waybread: I just realized that you were asking about the dodekatemorion and not the "dwads" (which are the sign 1/12ths called duodenaries) A confusion also exists because the Greco/Romans used the word "dodekatemorion" to mean:
a) the sign 1/12ths (duodenaries)
AND
b) the chart manipulation process of multiplying the degree place of cusps, planets, Lots, by either a factor of 12 (Egyptian dodekatemorion) or 13 (Pauline dodekatemorion), to find further ramifications (indications, connections) of each chart element, in chart delineation
I will (soon) start a thread looking into the second meaning of this term (ie, the harmonic/multiplying dodekatemorion)

I have several planets near house cusps that fall into the next house if I change my chart to other formats. Some astrologers would interpret it as being in the next house, particularly if its within 5 degrees, but I don't think its accurate with my chart. I'm not sure why I find Placidus to be the most accurate format, with considering the planets exactly as they are, without degree rules moving them into the next house.

I'm also considering whole signs, but I think that is more of a "spiritual" chart which takes time and effort to live up to its full potential.

Planets conjunct a house cusp
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=202304&postcount=7
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?p=205033#post205033
Planets conj House cusp
“Ascendant at 15’ Libra and Jupiter 13’ Libra. That would place Jupiter in the 12th house, right? But many thoughtful astrologers would read this as Jupiter being conjunction with Ascendant, and end up reading it as bringing its action to bear in the first house, rather than in the 12th.
This same idea would apply for each and every house cusp. If the planet is IN THE SAME SIGN as the sign on the next house cusp, and close enough to be CONJUNCT WITH that next house cusp, the action of the planet will be directed into oncoming house”
http://www.astrology-numerology.com/inhouses.html

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14887

http://www.astrologyweekly.com/forum/showpost.php?p=125412&postcount=4

Ptolemy says the influence of the house begins to be felt 5° before the actual cusp.
http://www.astrologycom.com/houses.html

“Astrologers have seen a body influencing the house it is about to enter, time and time again. All theorizing aside, the planet casting its shadow ahead works. I can speak from personal experience, as well as reading ancient texts. If you discover this as true, then the next question may be, "Just how close must a body be to a cusp before it begins to be felt in the neighboring house?"
I've seen some authors say 3 degrees. I've seen some that give 5 degrees. I have seen some that even give 8 degrees. And there may be other variations.”
http://astronuts.tribe.net/thread/90c9f417-5086-4ff0-b31f-c904fe99baca

waybread

Dr. Farr, Thanks for the explanation. I've used dwads (duads) with some good effect: i.e., the division of a sign by 12 to produce increments of 2.5 degrees; with the first dwad being the same as the sign it begins. (I. e., 0 degrees Taurus is in the Taurus dwad.) I realize there are other dwad systems that would produce different dwads for the degrees; like starting each series of dwads with Aries. Sometimes when I have difficulty in getting a handle on a chart, the dwads provide another interpretive layer.

A modern astrologer who has done some really interesting work on dwads is Alice Portman at www.aliceportman.com .

Skillcoil, I can't argue with your personal experience. I would suggest that most planets have a mix of difficult and easy aspects; but sometimes the easy "have a nice day" aspects do not shape our characters in the way the more challenging aspects do.

For example, you have a very strong Mars at 0 degrees Aries (the "Aries point" and/or Aries dwad), squaring both Uranus and Saturn. Then the super-close conjunction of these planets creates further discomfort, as their energies are so dissimilar.

If I could choose only one of the following to use in astrology: signs, houses, or aspects; I would choose aspects because (a) I think they give the predominant flavour to a planet, and (b) signs and houses can vary depending upon which system you use, but the aspects still hold.