Planets and Astrology

scorchers1003

Hi,

I am new to Astrology and was wondering for centuires thre astrolgers would have only used 7 planets but we gradually went to ten the back to nine with Pluto now not deemed a planet. Should readings only involved the original 7 and where does Pluto lie within this question.

Best Regards
Scorchers1003.:unsure:

Moog

Hi,

I am new to Astrology and was wondering for centuires thre astrolgers would have only used 7 planets but we gradually went to ten the back to nine with Pluto now not deemed a planet. Should readings only involved the original 7 and where does Pluto lie within this question.

Best Regards
Scorchers1003.:unsure:

It's a matter of opinion.

Currently I don't use the outer planets. That's Uranus, Neptune and Pluto, as far as I am concerned.

What constitutes a planet in the modern astronomical sense is a technicality, and of no relevance to me.

The moon isn't technically a planet either, nor is the sun. But I call them planets for convenience. Planet used to mean 'wanderer', so any perceptibly moving heavenly body is a planet to me. The outers blur the line there, because they are slow.

dr. farr

Moog is correct: it is a matter of outlook, and of the approach (or school of thought) one follows: neo-Hellenists and contemporary Traditionalist only use the 7 planets, and the 2 Lunar nodes (to a certain extent); Vedic astrology uses the 7 planets but has elevated to 2 Lunar nodes to planetary importance, so their system essentially applies what amounts to 9 planets; Modernist Western astrology uses the 10 planets and the 2 Lunar nodes (and will often count other bodies as well, such as asteroids)

Me? As an eclectic who uses elements taken from all the approaches, I do also include the 3 outer planets in my delineations except in horary, where I have not found the outers to be necessary in determining the answers to the horary questions.

david starling

Why didn't you mention the Ascendant? It's not a planet, but neither are the lunar nodes, which you did include as important sign-indicators. I'm just interested in your personal version of an astrological chart. With (Tropical) moon and Venus in Aquarius, I'm always seeking useful knowledge. What I'm asking is, should the Ascendant be elevated to "planetary importance"?

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

If the Ascendant has a "planetary importance", would it represent Virgo or the "beginning" of life in astrology? I thought being the first house ruled by Aries, it should have an Arien, not Virgin significance. The true node's astrological symbol reminds me of Libra (the scales), so we're taking away Venus' rulership for Libra and Mercury's to Virgo then, but Mercury has an androgynous nature found in Gemini and Virgo, and Venus was once viewed as two planets in ancient times: the "evening" and "morning" stars represents Libra's duality, similar to Gemini's being the twins.

david starling

If the Ascendant is elevated to planetary status, it would be a sign-ruler. Which sign? I have an opinion, but I like the way you think, so what's yours? Oh, I should mention I would consider it a co-ruler--not with a sign all to itself.

Last edited:

CapAquaPis

I came to believe in the Aquarian age, we have 14 signs, 14 ruler planets and a new arrangement of gender and elements for each of them. The first sign in this new arrangement would be Aquarius beginning on Feb. 14-ending on March 10. There will be Androgynous (Andro) and Neutral (Neut) signs to balance the astrological zodiac cycle.

AQUARIUS (Feb 14-Mar 10): Andro, Air, Fixed.
PISCES (Mar 11-Apr 13): Fem, Water, Mut.
ARIES (Apr 14-30): Male, Fire, Card.
TAURUS (May 1-31): Fem, Earth, Fixed.
ORION (June 1-15): Andro, Heart, Neut.
GEMINI (June 16-July 12): Male, Air, Mut.
CANCER (July 13-Aug. 10): Fem, Water, Card.
LEO (Aug 11-Sep 15): Male, Fire, Fixed.
VIRGO (Sep 16-Oct 22): Andro, Earth, Mut.
LIBRA (Oct 23-Nov 14): Male, Air, Card.
SCORPIO (Nov 15-30): Fem, Water, Fixed.
OPHIUCHUS (Dec 1-15): Andro, Heart, Neut.
SAGITTARIUS (Dec 16-Jan 14): Male, Fire, Mut.
CAPRICORN (Jan 15-Feb 13): Fem, Earth, Card.

And planetary rulerships for each one of the signs, including a few newly discovered ones. They are in order of rank: prime ruler, co-ruler, influence and co-influence if I'm able to find one. The recent discovery of a possible 9th planet within IAU standards (located 95-100 IAU from the Sun) of what makes a planet could play a role in Aries, Gemini and Leo horoscopes.

AQUARIUS: Uranus, Saturn, Eris and Sun.
PISCES: Neptune, Jupiter, Sedna and Makemake.
ARIES: Mars, Pluto and Sun.
TAURUS: Venus, Eris, Mercury and Moon.
ORION: Chiron, Lilith, Cruithne and Sedna.
GEMINI: Mercury, Eris and Venus.
CANCER: Moon, Ceres, Venus and Sun.
LEO: Sun, Moon and Mars.
VIRGO: Mercury, Ceres, Jupiter and Moon.
LIBRA: Venus, Ceres, Saturn and Eris.
SCORPIO: Pluto, Mars, Uranus and Lilith.
OPHIUCHUS: Chiron, Lilith, Cruithne and Sedna.
SAGITTARIUS: Jupiter, Neptune, Chiron and Makemake.
CAPRICORN: Saturn, Uranus, Pluto and Moon.

david starling

I notice you're not limiting Sign-rulership to just one per sign, so to answer a much earlier question, which I should have answered right away (my apology), I have the Asc. AND Jupiter ruling Sagittarius. The Asc., which I associate with the Greek god Apollo, elevated to Rulership status, and Jupiter (Zeus), a Father-Son duo, ruling one sign, Sag. The symbol for Sag., an arrow crossing a horizontal line, is a good symbolic link to the Asc.(point of Sun-rise across the horizon). Since we're both getting some exercise "pushing the envelope", I'll go further--I also elevate the Age Indicator (which in this case is the Sidereal version, the Vernal Equinoctial Point) to Rulership status and add it to the Taurian Rulership group, for the reason that these Ages are Earth's, which is fixed at the center of the Zodiac, and Taurus is the Fixed-earth Sign. Notice the extremely fast-moving Asc. is then matched with Sag., the most mutable Sign; and the extremely slow-moving Age Indicator with the most fixed sign.
Thanks for sharing your creativity!

Last edited:

david starling

Planets are bodies. Points are not. They are not the same, do not have the same attributes.

The Asc is incredibly important, and is the intersection of the Sun's path with the horizonal line. I believe it qualifies as a Sign-ruler. Significators don't require bodies to show effects on the Chart (Lunar Nodes, for example). I do agree, however, that the Asc doesn't cast Aspects. But, it can receive them. Also, it's partnered with Jupiter as co-ruler. I use the Ancient Greek religion as a guide, and Zeus and Apollo were solidly linked, as seen in the Olympiad rings, with two of Zeus' games flanking Apollo's in the center. Also, TWO Sun-gods, Helios (the Sun's body), and Apollo, god of the Sun's Path, our circle of measurement (the Ecliptic), were deemed necessary. Anyway, I use the Asc that way, and it works for me. Not saying it would work for you. :biggrin:

Witchyone

The Asc is incredibly important, and is the intersection of the Sun's path with the horizonal line. I believe it qualifies as a Sign-ruler. Significators don't require bodies to show effects on the Chart (Lunar Nodes, for example). I do agree, however, that the Asc doesn't cast Aspects. But, it can receive them. Also, it's partnered with Jupiter as co-ruler. I use the Ancient Greek religion as a guide, and Zeus and Apollo were solidly linked, as seen in the Olympiad rings, with two of Zeus' games flanking Apollo's in the center. Also, TWO Sun-gods, Helios (the Sun's body), and Apollo, god of the Sun's Path, our circle of measurement (the Ecliptic), were deemed necessary. Anyway, I use the Asc that way, and it works for me. Not saying it would work for you. :biggrin:

What is gained from assigning rulership to the Ascendant?

JUPITERASC

The Asc is incredibly important, and is the intersection of the Sun's path with the horizonal line.

I believe it qualifies as a Sign-ruler.
would be useful if you would state the sign your system assigns as Ascendant ruler:smile:

Significators don't require bodies to show effects on the Chart (Lunar Nodes, for example). I do agree, however, that the Asc doesn't cast Aspects. But, it can receive them. Also, it's partnered with Jupiter as co-ruler. I use the Ancient Greek religion as a guide, and Zeus and Apollo were solidly linked, as seen in the Olympiad rings, with two of Zeus' games flanking Apollo's in the center. Also, TWO Sun-gods, Helios (the Sun's body), and Apollo, god of the Sun's Path, our circle of measurement (the Ecliptic), were deemed necessary.

Anyway, I use the Asc that way, and it works for me.

Not saying it would work for you. :biggrin:

david starling

What is gained from assigning rulership to the Ascendant?

I needed clear patterns, to accompany intuition. My groundbreaking studies have been about the Astrological Ages, and I was able to develop a way to determine them both Siderealy and Tropically, in a coherent, meaningful way. This brings another incredibly important Greco-Roman deity into the Chart, Gaia, the personification of the Earth. I view them as Gaia's Ages, and use terrestrial features to locate the Age-indicator, which moves through the Zodiac due to Earth's "wobble" as it rotates. That gives us one more Sign-ruler, with it ruling Taurus. So, for me, it's now a 12/12 pattern, instead of the unwieldy 10/12 currently being used in Modern astrology. Very neatly organized, with several types of rulership for each Sign, which I'm calling Rulership-groups. Venus is included in the group for Taurus, headed by Gaia's Age-indicator, and Jupiter is included in the one headed by Apollo's Ascendant ruling Sagittarius, so it's not as different from convention as it may sound. Mercury heads up ("Native-rulership") the group for Gemini, but is included in the group for Virgo as "Regulator". The pattern for these groups is from the direct sequence of the Modalities and Elements of the Signs, with Native-rulerships determined by 2 other patterns which involve the Modalities and Elements as well. Works for me! :biggrin:

JUPITERASC

I needed clear patterns, to accompany intuition. My groundbreaking studies have been about the Astrological Ages, and I was able to develop a way to determine them both Siderealy and Tropically, in a coherent, meaningful way. This brings another incredibly important Greco-Roman deity into the Chart, Gaia, the personification of the Earth. I view them as Gaia's Ages, and use terrestrial features to locate the Age-indicator, which moves through the Zodiac due to Earth's "wobble" as it rotates. That gives us one more Sign-ruler, with it ruling Taurus. So, for me, it's now a 12/12 pattern, instead of the unwieldy 10/12 currently being used in Modern astrology. Very neatly organized, with several types of rulership for each Sign, which I'm calling Rulership-groups. Venus is included in the group for Taurus, headed by Gaia's Age-indicator, and Jupiter is included in the one headed by Apollo's Ascendant ruling Sagittarius, so it's not as different from convention as it may sound. Mercury heads up ("Native-rulership") the group for Gemini, but is included in the group for Virgo as "Regulator". The pattern for these groups is from the direct sequence of the Modalities and Elements of the Signs, with Native-rulerships determined by 2 other patterns which involve the Modalities and Elements as well. Works for me! :biggrin:
and
by the way :smile:

Which sign does Asc rule in your system?

JUPITERASC

Witchyone

Wow, that's ambitious! I think of the nodes and other points as being categorically different than celestial bodies (theoretical vs. actual; void vs. matter) so this is a stretch for me to try to grok, but an interesting one. Do I understand correctly that the age indicator is a point (or points) on Earth?

david starling

Wow, that's ambitious! I think of the nodes and other points as being categorically different than celestial bodies (theoretical vs. actual; void vs. matter) so this is a stretch for me to try to grok, but an interesting one. Do I understand correctly that the age indicator is a point (or points) on Earth?

The Asc and Age-indicator are of a different sort than the Sun, Moon and planets. Neither can cast Aspects (although they receive them), and in just these two cases, the (pattern-determined) Regulator is very closely partnered with the Native-ruler.

The “inner planets”— the sun, moon, Mercury, Mars and Venus—move quickly through the zodiac. As a result, they affect your day-to-day life, moods and habits.

The “outer planets” — Jupiter, Saturn, Neptune, Uranus, and Pluto — move slowly, changing signs every one to fifteen years. As a result, they shape the bigger trends in your life. In fact, Neptune, Uranus and Pluto orbit the sun so slowly that they’re said to shape entire generations.

Each planet is associated with a zodiac sign, and that sign will exhibit traits of the planet. For example, turbo-charged Aries is ruled by warrior planet Mars. Cheerful Sagittarius is ruled by optimistic Jupiter. If you want to learn more about your sign, look no further than its ruling planet!