Placements for writers

Gemini888

A lot of people associate writing talents with Gemini, 3rd house and strong Mercury. But then there are also talks about how the Moon and Cancer boost imagination and writing skills. In fact, I read somewhere that angular Moon is prominent in writers. So which one is better for writers? Gemini or Cancer?

And how about Pisces? Pisces has extreme imagination and is in touch with other dimention as well as the real world. Why isn't Pisces associated with creative writing?

And how about comic artists? There are tons of comic artist who do both the artwork and dialogue. Having Gemini isn't enough for them, as Gemini is only good at writing. And beside, the writing style of comics is more succinct than the style of other books, and a comic artist has to know how to combine both words and pictures together. What placements does a comic artist need?

Somna7H

Banned
I heard Mercury with good Dignity can create good writer. Unfortunately I not any writer or good at writing.
Have NN Conjunct Mercury Conjunct Sun in Cancer 3rd House(Tropical Whole Sign).

katydid

My husband is a successful writer. He began 'writing' his first book at age 5.

He has Mercury in Aries in the 12th. It is stationary retrograde.

I think the main factor indicative of his long career as a writer might be his Moon conjunct Uranus in Cancer in the third house.

He writes comedy and films and TV and animated shows and novels.

His Moon/Uranus in Cancer is part of a very tight Water Grand Trine with Mars in Scorpio and Venus in Pisces .

katydid

You also brought up the subject of comics=graphic novels.

My daughter is doing a 6 part comic series right now. She is a Gemini but her Mercury is in Taurus, conjunct Venus in Taurus, both in the 6th.

Her Merc/Venus conjunction is tightly trining Uranus/Neptune in Cap.

Starsareround

Hi Gemini888 :smile:

Great topic. Many of my favorite fiction and creative non fiction writers are Cancer Suns. There seems to be a beautiful meditation on memory and time and the fragility of the human condition that Cancer Suns weave into their stories/ journalism. For example Marcel Proust...

"Time passes and little by little everything we have spoken in falsehood becomes true"

"All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last"

Also the Great Lydia Davis, who is known for inventing a new kind of very concise short story that explores these themes....

“The Outing

An outburst of anger near the road, a refusal to speak on the path, a silence in the pine woods, a silence across the old railroad bridge, an attempt to be friendly in the water, a refusal to end the argument on the flat stones, a cry of anger on the steep bank of dirt, a weeping among the bushes.”
― Lydia Davis, The Collected Stories

Or Rebecca Sonlit...

“To hope is to gamble. It's to bet on your futures, on your desires, on the possibility that an open heart and uncertainty is better than gloom and safety. To hope is dangerous, and yet it is the opposite of fear, for to live is to risk.”
― Rebecca Solnit, Hope in the Dark

“Perfection is a stick with which to beat the possible.”

I also love the brutal honesty and scope of futility of the Scorpio writer, namely Dermott Healy:

Truth is the lie you once told returning to haunt you”
― Dermot Healy, The Bend for Home

and Kazuo Ishiguro:

“All children have to be deceived if they are to grow up without trauma.”
― Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go

I guess i just dig the water sign writers, their humanity is unmatched. I was just chatting with a friend ( Hi Moonkitty!) about an old boyfriend's dad who won the Pulitzer for a series of articles exposing the problems with the Hubble telescope in the 90s...yes, friends, he was a Cancer Sun...!

Last edited:

Flapjacks

I've done artwork for comic books that have been published, though not widely successful. I wanted to either write/draw comic books or work as a storyboard artist or cartoonist since I was three (I made claymation videos when I was nine with a camcorder - that took extraordinary patience. I could never see the final result because each still lasted 1 minute). It never really happened for a career - mostly due to fear of never being good enough.

I have Sun/Mercury conjunct in 3rd house Cancer/Leo (out of sign conj), opposed 9th house Moon in Capricorn (angular), square 6th house Pluto in Scorpio. Saturn is in Sagittarius, trine Mercury. Someone once said that that aspect speaks to an interest in bold, animated humor and storytelling (Leo/Sag trine). Ascendant is in Gemini, sextile Sun/Mercury, opposed Saturn. Venus is in 4th house Virgo square Saturn (perfectionism in Venus matters is crippling). 5th house ruler is Mercury.

The ruler of the 5th in the 3rd: creativity expressed through communication, and also ruler of the 4th in the 3rd: childhood/past experience influencing communication, need to express 4th house through the 3rd (comics/cartoons are often associated with children and childhood). Chart attached.

To me, comic books are similar in appeal to theater/dramatic arts and are most often used to entertain children or the "young at heart", so I would associate it with 5th house/Leo, except for introverts. :lol:

Attachments

• astro_24gw_anonymous_20181227.34691.130728.jpg
    astro_24gw_anonymous_20181227.34691.130728.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:

Somna7H

Banned
Good to know that you write/draw.
I'm not connected with any of these things. I have Mercury Conjunct Sun in Cancer 2nd/3rd House.

My Natal Chart in the link.

wan

I read that having a retrograde Mercury is indicative of good writing skills. I believe Stephen King has this. Also, several posters mentioned that having Cancer placements is good for writing. I can vouch for this, as one of my favourite writers, Stella Hyde, is a Cancer. She is absolutely the funniest writer I have ever come across.

Gemini888

My husband is a successful writer. He began 'writing' his first book at age 5.

He has Mercury in Aries in the 12th. It is stationary retrograde.

I think the main factor indicative of his long career as a writer might be his Moon conjunct Uranus in Cancer in the third house.

He writes comedy and films and TV and animated shows and novels.

His Moon/Uranus in Cancer is part of a very tight Water Grand Trine with Mars in Scorpio and Venus in Pisces .

You also brought up the subject of comics=graphic novels.

My daughter is doing a 6 part comic series right now. She is a Gemini but her Mercury is in Taurus, conjunct Venus in Taurus, both in the 6th.

Her Merc/Venus conjunction is tightly trining Uranus/Neptune in Cap.
Your entire family is awesome!

Does your daughter also do the dialogue? I start to notice a trend in your family: the involvement of Uranus. Uranus is a pretty unstable planet, but it seems to create determination in your husband and daughter. What do you think?

Also I notice Taurus in your daughter. Looks like comic is a combination of Taurus/Gemini.

Hi Gemini888 :smile:

Great topic. Many of my favorite fiction and creative non fiction writers are Cancer Suns. There seems to be a beautiful meditation on memory and time and the fragility of the human condition that Cancer Suns weave into their stories/ journalism. For example Marcel Proust...

"Time passes and little by little everything we have spoken in falsehood becomes true"

"All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last"

Also the Great Lydia Davis, who is known for inventing a new kind of very concise short story that explores these themes....

“The Outing

An outburst of anger near the road, a refusal to speak on the path, a silence in the pine woods, a silence across the old railroad bridge, an attempt to be friendly in the water, a refusal to end the argument on the flat stones, a cry of anger on the steep bank of dirt, a weeping among the bushes.”
― Lydia Davis, The Collected Stories

Or Rebecca Sonlit...

“To hope is to gamble. It's to bet on your futures, on your desires, on the possibility that an open heart and uncertainty is better than gloom and safety. To hope is dangerous, and yet it is the opposite of fear, for to live is to risk.”

“Perfection is a stick with which to beat the possible.”

I also love the brutal honesty and scope of futility of the Scorpio writer, namely Dermott Healy:

Truth is the lie you once told returning to haunt you”
― Dermot Healy, The Bend for Home

and Kazuo Ishiguro:

“All children have to be deceived if they are to grow up without trauma.”
― Kazuo Ishiguro, Never Let Me Go

I guess i just dig the water sign writers, their humanity is unmatched. I was just chatting with a friend ( Hi Moonkitty!) about an old boyfriend's dad who won the Pulitzer for a series of articles exposing the problems with the Hubble telescope in the 90s...yes, friends, he was a Cancer Sun...!
Yeah, I know. Imagination seems to be water signs' great asess. So now we have Cancer and Scorpio, but what about Pisces, the ultimate dreamer? I wonder how well Pisces can write.

I also think that Gemini, Aquarius and Virgo can potentially be excellent writers. Gemini is good with bending reality. Aqua has an unconventional outlook of life that can be transfered into words. And Virgo's careful method can create a plot-hole-free story. But that's just a speculation.

William Styron was a writer with gritty books that just aim to shock the world into changes. He was a Gem Sun with Gem Merc. He also had Pisces Moon and some water grand trines.

Edit: I want to add Poe into the list too. Poe was a Cap sun conj Cap Merc. But he also had a Pisces stellium. His work needs no introduction. But I think a lot of people miss the humanity in Poe's stories. Poe portrayed mental illness very close to the way us modern people view it. It was a revolutionary concept if you put it in his context, when mental illness wasn't fully understood and people just put mentally ill people in asylums where they suffered abuse. And what's more, Poe had no Cancer placement.

I'm surprised at how Pisces is underrated in term of writing, given that Pisces tops every other signs at imagination.

I've done artwork for comic books that have been published, though not widely successful. I wanted to either write/draw comic books or work as a storyboard artist or cartoonist since I was three (I made claymation videos when I was nine with a camcorder - that took extraordinary patience. I could never see the final result because each still lasted 1 minute). It never really happened for a career - mostly due to fear of never being good enough.

I have Sun/Mercury conjunct in 3rd house Cancer/Leo (out of sign conj), opposed 9th house Moon in Capricorn (angular), square 6th house Pluto in Scorpio. Saturn is in Sagittarius, trine Mercury. Someone once said that that aspect speaks to an interest in bold, animated humor and storytelling (Leo/Sag trine). Ascendant is in Gemini, sextile Sun/Mercury, opposed Saturn. Venus is in 4th house Virgo square Saturn (perfectionism in Venus matters is crippling). 5th house ruler is Mercury.

The ruler of the 5th in the 3rd: creativity expressed through communication, and also ruler of the 4th in the 3rd: childhood/past experience influencing communication, need to express 4th house through the 3rd (comics/cartoons are often associated with children and childhood). Chart attached.

To me, comic books are similar in appeal to theater/dramatic arts and are most often used to entertain children or the "young at heart", so I would associate it with 5th house/Leo, except for introverts. :lol:
I have to respectfully disagree with your last part. Have you read Maus or any comic by Will Eisner? Do you know about a comic publisher called Fantagraphics? These comics gear toward adult and talk about very mature things. My point is that comic can be a legitimate form of art if the artists believe in it and know how to use its features for their advantage. Comic suffers from the "it's just for kids" stigma because not enough artists believe it's possible to make a comic mature enough to be compared with books. For the more serious artists, I think something else is going on.

Last edited:

Flapjacks

So now we have Cancer and Scorpio, but what about Pisces, the ultimate dreamer? I wonder how well Pisces can write.

My fiance is a great writer - fiction, nonfiction, and poetry (real poetry that has ideas ... similar in sensibilities as A. R. Ammons). He's written a physics book and a poetry book. He worked for a newspaper for a while but ultimately went into engineering.

He has Pisces 2nd house Sun/Merc/Venus conjunct, opposed Virgo Moon in the 8th, square Saturn in 5th house Gemini. Saturn is his chart ruler.

We both have Rx Mercury - and two people that always second guess and try to think of every possible outcome of a situation at all times makes for a lot of procrastination of life decisions. It why that poetry book hasn't been published yet...

Last edited:

katydid

Your entire family is awesome!

Does your daughter also do the dialogue? I start to notice a trend in your family: the involvement of Uranus. Uranus is a pretty unstable planet, but it seems to create determination in your husband and daughter. What do you think?

Also I notice Taurus in your daughter. Looks like comic is a combination of Taurus/Gemini.

Yes, she not only writes the dialogue, she played the character in an animated tv series. She was the voice over actress on the show. [her character=Marceline, Vampire Queen]

When the show ended after 10 years on Cartoon Network, they asked her to write a 6 part comic series to follow the aftermath of the show.

So she submitted an outline, of the 6 show arc. And then began writing each comic book, dialogue and describing each shot. She does not draw them though. lol

I do think Uranus is important in her chart. But she was born during the Uranus/Neptune conjunction in Cap. So Uranus is imbued with Neptunian energy.

That conjunction trines her Merc/Venus in Taurus in her 6th house of daily work.

Uranus in her chart , is the dispositor of her Moon and Saturn, both in Aquarius.

Starsareround

Yes, she not only writes the dialogue, she played the character in an animated tv series. She was the voice over actress on the show. [her character=Marceline, Vampire Queen]

When the show ended after 10 years on Cartoon Network, they asked her to write a 6 part comic series to follow the aftermath of the show.

So she submitted an outline, of the 6 show arc. And then began writing each comic book, dialogue and describing each shot. She does not draw them though. lol

I do think Uranus is important in her chart. But she was born during the Uranus/Neptune conjunction in Cap. So Uranus is imbued with Neptunian energy.

That conjunction trines her Merc/Venus in Taurus in her 6th house of daily work.

Uranus in her chart , is the dispositor of her Moon and Saturn, both in Aquarius.

What?!! The Love Actually actress??? What a multitalented lady!

katydid

What?!! The Love Actually actress??? What a multitalented lady!

yes. She started at a very young age. She came into this world knowing how to sing. No lessons, no nothing. She just had perfect pitch and could sing like a grown up. I have always thought it was her Mercury/Venus trine Uranus/Neptune.

Starsareround

yes. She started at a very young age. She came into this world knowing how to sing. No lessons, no nothing. She just had perfect pitch and could sing like a grown up. I have always thought it was her Mercury/Venus trine Uranus/Neptune.

Okay I’m going fangirl for a minute. Can you please tell her starsareround loves her 😂

katydid

Okay I’m going fangirl for a minute. Can you please tell her starsareround loves her 😂

I will. She will sincerely appreciate it.

After she did Love Actually, there were all these agents and managers going crazy, in her face, wanting her to drop out of school and be home schooled, and just act and sing.

She is a Gemini with Moon in Aquarius in her 3rd, with Sag rising. SHE LOVED SCHOOL>

So we said NO< she was only 11 years old. So she gave up on that 'being a star' goal. And stayed in school and had a normal childhood. So she just did voice over jobs and she is so happy she did that.

She has a regular life, friends from school , great boyfriend, but still gets to sing and act. It is indicative of her 6th house stellium, I believe.

Flapjacks

I figured that conjunction would produce a number of interesting people. My guess is most of them will peak later on (Capricorn). The conjunction happened over my moon, and I find the kids nine years or so younger than me to be very energizing.

What does her MC look like?

Lykanized

Interesting thread... I dream of being a writer and somehow I feel like I got all these absurd marks for writing in my chart

Cancer sun/Mercury, Gemini Venus on the MC, Virgo moon/Mars on the AC, Pluto 3rd house, Rx Mercury, born right in the middle of the Neptune-Uranus conjunction in my 5th house tightly opposite my Mercury, preponderance of Rx energy(5 planets), Mercury is strong in general with aspects to Pluto, Uranus, Neptune, and Mars, all Rx save for Mars

Last edited:

katydid

I figured that conjunction would produce a number of interesting people. My guess is most of them will peak later on (Capricorn). The conjunction happened over my moon, and I find the kids nine years or so younger than me to be very energizing.

What does her MC look like?

Her MC is part of a nice Earth Grand Trine. [MC trine Merc/Venus trine Uranus/Neptune]

Her MC is 15 Virgo, trining the Uranus/Neptune conjunction which is @ 17 Cap.

Also, her chart is a bucket, with everything below the horizon, except Jupiter, in the 9th, @ 5 Virgo.

She does a lot of international travel for work and Jupiter rules her Sag ascendant.

Mercury, ruler of the MC is in the 6th, @ 20 Taurus, trining the Uranus /Neptune and the MC.