Other Aspects & Rulers in Horary

watchman512

Evening Enlightened One's.

Just a simple thought has occured to me,hope someone may shed more light on it for me :)
When the Querent being signified by the planets that rule the Asc, could also you consider the primary asteriods Vesta,Juno,Ceres,Pallas ? If any of these occupy the 1st house or have the rulership. eg If cancer was asc and Ceres represents the mother similar to that of the moon ?

archergirl

Hi there,

I would not include asteroids in a horary reading at all. Asteroids are more helpful for natal analyses; in horary, they're pretty much useless. I certainly wouldn't use them as main significators! *Maybe* you could use them as an extra 'flavouring' in the chart, like using the Arabic Parts, but horary charts don't even really need the Parts to get a good reading. Just the first seven planets, ma'am!

Cheers,
AG:)

cassanra

from what I have read the ruler of the cusp, planets in the chart or intercepted in the chart and the almutens can be rulers and that can give us a lot of choices ....or not:)

archergirl

It's best to keep things as simple as possible in horary, which excludes things like asteroids, intercepted rulers, and almutens. Almutens are good when there are issues with the primary significators; but this is admittedly rare. Even Lilly used them only occasionally. I would *never* use an asteroid as a primary ruler, ever. Might as well use a Magic 8 Ball. :D

cassanra

This contradicts what I have been reading...can you give me an example of "issues with primary significators"? Thanks Cassandra (still learning in lexington)

archergirl

You should never believe everything you read without testing it for yourself.:D

Issues with primary significators would be, for example, if for some reason you can't use the 1st house ruler to signify the querent; if, say, the querent and quesited are both represented by a single planet (so the querent and quesited are given to Gemini and Virgo, both ruled by Mercury), you might pick the almuten for the querent, plus the Moon. Something like that. Or if it's a three-party question and two of them share a significator. Almutens are best used in exceptional cases; as I mentioned earlier, Lilly used them only rarely, when the almuten 'fit' the person in question better by physical description and house placement.

My point was simply that people who are learning horary tend to be very enthusiastic about using everything they can think of in a horary chart, thinking it will somehow make the chart more accurate, so they include the outer planets, almutens, sesquiquadrate aspects, Arabic Parts and the 10,000 asteroids. And, being beginners, what they wind up with is a mess that they can't read. Simplicity is the key with horary. If you can't find the answer using the traditional seven planets and the main aspects (conjunction, square, trine, sextile and opposition), chances are you aren't looking hard enough! Other things, almutens included, are a bit like black pepper; they should be added slowly to a chart.

cassanra

Thanks....I must admit I do get confused alot and have lots of questions so glad your there for your guidance. I have learned alot on this site but still have a tendency to 'sprinkle in' as many things as can thinking I can get more information out of a chart only to find I can not remember what I was doing to begin with...Cassandra