oppositions meet

Elyn

What happens when a person with sun-opposite moon in a chart meets another with sun opposite moon?

I have pisces sun/virgo moon.

I've had a very strong lasting friendship with taurus sun/scorpio moon.

I have also dated a gemini sun/sag moon. It was crazy but I found it very interesting. It did not last. However, its almost like it was 'special', intriguing. I dont think the gemini saw it that way though. It was definitely bad in terms of a lasting relationship.

I have found that when someone is a mixture of two opposite signs, they are not one or the other somehow. Its like they see both sides of the same coin. Perhaps this is why i found it so interesting with the gemini/sag just for a plain frienship.

Last edited:

waybread

Staff member
Hey, Elyn: It sounds like you are ready to learn some basic synastry.

Maybe you know some already. The system I use to look for compatibility in comparing two charts side-by-side would be, for a friendship:
1. suns sextiled or trined (ego compatibility)
2. moons conjunct, sextiled, or trined (emotional compatibility, feeling "at home")
3. Mercuries conjunct, sextiled or trined (communication)

Then for a romantic relationship, look for "reverse" Mars/Venus aspects: conjunctions sextiles, or trines.
4. As in, her Mars sextiles his Venus, his Mars conjuncts her Venus.

With squares and oppositions across charts, the two people definitely connect, but it can be too stressful in the long run.

5. Then look for inter-aspects between the above planets (perhaps her moon aspects his sun) as well as aspects amongst the other planets.

If you don't find aspects, probably the chemistry just isn't there to foster a relationship. Most couples won't have all of the top ones, but without any of them, they don't feel much in common. Note that you have to look at degrees, not just signs; as planets need to be in-orb. You can use a wide orb, however.

So if we run the above diagnostic on your first-mentioned relationship, your Pisces and Taurus suns are sextiled, as are your Virgo and Scorpio moons. Then if we do sun-moon pair-ups, we find two nice trines! Nice.

People born with sun opposite moon were born around the time of the full moon. Supposedly this predisposes them to communication.

Elyn

Oh my, I just realized that another very strong platonic relationship I had was with a sagittarius/gemini. I'm born during a full moon. I dont know why but I seem to gravitate towards people born under a full moon. Maybe because I'm a pisces, I 'sense' that they are interesting, dualistic like me. Its weird.. with the air/fire mutables: all mutable signs of the zodiac were present (i'm water/earth). I think, since I have a strong uranus in my chart, perhaps I find it fascinating and like the mental stimulation.

Thanks very much for your explanation Waybread, it helps alot!! :)

bb369

hey elyn!

i m a sag/gemini, sometimes i find myself too conflicting? a moment i m cool and detached, another i get too involved and warming up. particularly when i meet people with conflicting signs eg. earth sign (sun)/water (moon). i wonder if its just me!?

Elyn

Hey, Elyn: It sounds like you are ready to learn some basic synastry.

Maybe you know some already. The system I use to look for compatibility in comparing two charts side-by-side would be, for a friendship:
1. suns sextiled or trined (ego compatibility)
2. moons conjunct, sextiled, or trined (emotional compatibility, feeling "at home")
3. Mercuries conjunct, sextiled or trined (communication)

Then for a romantic relationship, look for "reverse" Mars/Venus aspects: conjunctions sextiles, or trines.
4. As in, her Mars sextiles his Venus, his Mars conjuncts her Venus.

With squares and oppositions across charts, the two people definitely connect, but it can be too stressful in the long run.

5. Then look for inter-aspects between the above planets (perhaps her moon aspects his sun) as well as aspects amongst the other planets.

If you don't find aspects, probably the chemistry just isn't there to foster a relationship. Most couples won't have all of the top ones, but without any of them, they don't feel much in common. Note that you have to look at degrees, not just signs; as planets need to be in-orb. You can use a wide orb, however.

So if we run the above diagnostic on your first-mentioned relationship, your Pisces and Taurus suns are sextiled, as are your Virgo and Scorpio moons. Then if we do sun-moon pair-ups, we find two nice trines! Nice.

People born with sun opposite moon were born around the time of the full moon. Supposedly this predisposes them to communication.
Actually, waybread, do we have to know both ascendants and make a synastry chart to know if the aspects are really sextiles or trines by degree? or is it enough to know that, for example, the moon is in virgo and the other persons moon in cancer, therefore they are sextile..?

Elyn

hey elyn!

i m a sag/gemini, sometimes i find myself too conflicting? a moment i m cool and detached, another i get too involved and warming up. particularly when i meet people with conflicting signs eg. earth sign (sun)/water (moon). i wonder if its just me!?

Hey!! I think it depends. For example, deep down, sometimes my virgo moon makes me feel like im not in contact with my emotions. Like I dont understand them and I try to rationalize them. However, my sun in pisces and venus/mars/mercury in aries, scorpio ascendant really make me too involved somehow. I can never really be emotionally detached.

But seriously, I know what you mean! The Sagittarius sun/gemini moon guy I used to know was exactly what you describe about yourself. I think people found him really interesting because he was a bit of an enigma. It took me about 3 years to really see the gemini moon part. He came across as a sagittarius (and his cap venus also had an influence) but when you really got to know him, the gemini moon definitely was an important factor even if it was not obvious. He showed he was more 'fickle', emotionally detached and superficial than he appeared (sorry, I cant find another way to describe it). But its funny, he was the first to be aware of what was going on (gemini radar). Anyway, all in all, he used to be a bit confused about himself. I think it was the pulls of sag and gemini. He used to say that people always tried to figure him out. Honnestly, I find it a very interesting combination. I think it takes longer for people to really get to know a sun-moon opposition person than other sun-moon combinations.

Have you ever had any relationships (friendship/love) with other people with oppositions?
I just realized that I also dated a virgo sun-pisces moon. 3 out of 4 of my most important relationships had sun opposite moon in mutable signs.
1st gemini-sag
2nd sag-gemini (platonic)
3nd virgo-pisces
(4th was virgo-libra)

Last edited:

waybread

Staff member
Actually, waybread, do we have to know both ascendants and make a synastry chart to know if the aspects are really sextiles or trines by degree? or is it enough to know that, for example, the moon is in virgo and the other persons moon in cancer, therefore they are sextile..?

The easiest thing is just to put the two individuals' charts side-by-side. I, for one, find the Astrodienst synastry charts to be very difficult to read. Also, you want to get a strong sense of the two people as individuals, in the Relationship Department.

If you don't have a birth time for someone and can't do houses and the ascendant, just input the birth time as "unknown". You will get a chart without houses, but with a noon default birth time. Then you have to realize that the person's moon could move 6 degrees back or forth either way. If by some chance you find a planet at 0 or 29 degrees of a sign, you might realize that the sign could change earlier or later in the day.

I don't recommend faking the houses on a chart if you don't have a correct birth time. They could be really wrong, but create a false impression of accuracy.

Then go by the degrees for synastry, not the signs. For example, Person A with Venus at 25 degrees of Cancer might have a super sextile (60 degrees) with the Person B's Mars at 25 degrees of Virgo. On the other hand, if Person B's Mars is at 10 degrees of Virgo, that's a semi-square (45 degrees), which is stressful. Or if person B's Mars is at 2 degrees of Virgo, with a separation of 37 degrees, then there is no major aspect between those planets.

Classical astrologers like Ptolemy did consider signs as compatible or incompatible, but I think most modern astrologers would want the actual aspects. You might stretch this slightly to consider signs within the same element (earth, air, fire, or water) to be broadly compatible; but the real electricity or chemistry might not be there unless there are aspects in-orb.